Bloodsail Admiral Foreign Exchange Ztudent's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valysar View Post
    Can they release 9.2.5 during S3 then launch S4 just with a maintenance ?
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that whole problem. God damn it. I have no idea then, lmao.

I LOVE THIS HECKIN' MARKETING TEAM WOOHOO

Gamescom Release Date + Preorders + Dragonflight Animated Short Reveal (In time for Darkfallen Allied Race lore to be in?)

or

Summer Game Fest Release Date + Preorders + Dragonflight Animated Short Reveal (Unlikely due to the tie-in to Darkfallen Allied Race being tied to the story of 9.2.5 and 9.2.5 Release date being unknown at this point)
    Last edited by Foreign Exchange Ztudent; 2022-05-05 at 05:06 PM.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    Is there really debate on what constitutes spoilers? lol
    There is. Some people might find that an updated gnoll model is a spoiler. Some define spoilers as purely narrative. Personally, I find all that prerelease to be spoilers, but I take responsibility for spoiling myself when I visit sites like this or wowhead. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't go to the fan sites that are starved for content.

They would have to. The latest would be the week season 3 ends (likely last week July) and a week before S4 starts. If it is an allied race, they don't really need to reveal it at the same time they open up pre-orders. Especially when people are begging for some new WoW content they can actually play. Or it doesn't exist at all. I know people are excited for affix raiding on the old raids & cross-faction but neither of those actually constitutes "new content."

Seems like one of two things is happening: 1.) They really aren't done with the Allied Race yet. It's probably a small team developing heritage armor, cosmetics & the acquisition questline & its not quite ready for the PTR yet. or 2.) At this point, unlike in 7.3.5, they don't feel like an allied race needs to be tested by the community.
    Last edited by Ersula; 2022-05-05 at 05:13 PM.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    It's right there on their website. "Stay tuned for 2022 partner announcements"
    Yes, but they are listing the 2021 partners underneath that. They haven't revealed the 2022 partners yet.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    There is. Some people might find that an updated gnoll model is a spoiler. Some define spoilers as purely narrative. Personally, I find all that prerelease to be spoilers, but I take responsibility for spoiling myself when I visit sites like this or wowhead. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't go to the fan sites that are starved for content.
    I agree. But we were talking about blizzard encrypting story stuff on PTR.

1+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they intend to block all forms of Datamining. Just the Heavy Story Spoiler stuff. I mean we don't really have a clear response to the problem just a new guiding light and we have no idea to what extent that is.

Then again, when the Allied Race is tied to the story content that is locked behind PTR. Y'know at that point, maybe we shouldn't have any PTR in the first place.
    Last edited by Foreign Exchange Ztudent; 2022-05-05 at 05:21 PM.

Nihil.

This would be related to spoilers though.
    Are Blizzard encrypting story stuff if they only remove all quests? Or do they also have to remove all models and rewards as well? Let's afterall not forget the whole Teldrassil Hippogryph and Undercity Bat that made it clear what happened during the BfA pre-patch.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

The excuse for that is like, releasing things that happen after the Sylvanas Judgement quest before it gets revealed to the public, is spoilers. But the Shadowlands story is over. All that has already been resolved. And the Expansion has been revealed. So why not release any new content that canonically happens before the new expansion? There's no new encrypted story stuff on live serves. You're not getting information that "spoils" something you're not privy to yet, you're just experiencing events in their logical, chronological order.

Should very much be possible.

The excuse for that is like, releasing things that happen after the Sylvanas Judgement quest before it gets revealed to the public, is spoilers. But the Shadowlands story is over. All that has already been resolved. And the Expansion has been revealed. So why not release any new content that canonically happens before the new expansion? There's no new encrypted story stuff on live serves. You're not getting information that "spoils" something you're not privy to yet, you're just experiencing events in their logical, chronological order.
    I dunno where you got the idea that the Shadowlands story is over. Even if 9.2.5 is just an epilogue - which its looking to be - it's still... part of the shadowlands story, within the shadowlands expansion.

But everyone here is overcomplicating it. Not that it matters what we say here because it's not gonna change what Blizzard decides to encrypt.

Imagine you go to a movie with your friend. You have seen the movie, your friend has not.

Everything you would **not** tell your friend is a spoiler. Would you really tell them the entire plot? Or a key detail that reveals a later event? There's some room for variance, but there really should not be this much ignorance of what constitutes spoilers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno where you got the idea that the Shadowlands story is over. Even if 9.2.5 is just an epilogue - which its looking to be - it's still... part of the shadowlands story, within the shadowlands expansion.

But everyone here is overcomplicating it. Not that it matters what we say here because it's not gonna change what Blizzard decides to encrypt.

Imagine you go to a movie with your friend. You have seen the movie, your friend has not.

Everything you would **not** tell your friend is a spoiler. Would you really tell them the entire plot? Or a key detail that reveals a later event? There's some room for variance, but there really should not be this much ignorance of what constitutes spoilers.
    In a movie sense, when it comes to WoW and story details it'd be like we know what the climax of the Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness movie is(I.E. Wow's SL ending Jailer's defeat, Anduin is freed from domination Arthas spoiler here). Except its before the actual release.

It kinda sucks for some people who rather just experience the story as it comes but thats not how WoW works. I'm not too bothered but it would definitely increase my excitement if I didn't know what was coming.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

If that's the logic we're going with that means the Dragonflight alpha isn't going to contain any main campaign quests. Which would be wild.

1+ Year Old Account
    If that's the logic we're going with that means the Dragonflight alpha isn't going to contain any main campaign quests. Which would be wild.
    I mean Ion did not state what his plans were beyond better encryption methods and trying to abstain from the unfortunate narrative leaks. Whether they actively are going to do anything drastic remains to be seen. We have no idea as again there was no actual clarity in what they would do about Datamining going forward from any interview so far.

Nihil.

Like Aeluron said, WoW works in a different way - rampant, public datamining blasted on every website and social media is part of the game's community, as is public alpha and beta testing that reveals everything about an expansion long before the majority of players get to play it.

I'm not saying "Blizz is gonna do X because its what I think" - I'm saying it would be a better experience for me and others if every detail *wasn't* able to be datamined and if Blizzard was capable of paying testers instead of relying on free labor and advertising from players.

The epilogue stuff for 9.2.5 is more important to the overall plot than the questline in Dragonflight where you help centaurs though.

Most importantly the quests in 9.2.5 probably are not long enough to really need testing, as compared to main quests in Dragonflight.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Honestly drawing the line on datamining is such a complex problem. WoW expansions are so massive with so many different subsystems. I sometimes wonder how it would be trying to do things completely blind, especially things like exploration achievements and trying to break down how certain systems work. Many are designed to be so grindy that if you go in blind and realize you missed several points that would improve your efficiency which would have cut multiple weeks from the grind, I think that feeling overwhelms whatever joy you get out of discovery. Like, try something like Ember Court with no knowledge of how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Exchange Ztudent View Post
    I mean Ion did not state what his plans were beyond better encryption methods and trying to abstain from the unfortunate narrative leaks. Whether they actively are going to do anything drastic remains to be seen. We have no idea as again there was no actual clarity in what they would do about Datamining going forward from any interview so far.
    This seems so weird because in my decade or so playing WoW, the only people complaining about spoilers have been new players catching up about previous expansions.

I have seen people say when new content hits live they "Wish they didn't play the ptr so this was the first time they were experiencing it" which is a ridiculous idea. If you read an advanced screener of a novel then read it again when it's formally released you haven't been "spoiled" you're just rereading something you already read. You played the ptr. Or if you got spoiled on twitter because you're active in the wow fandom, thats your own fault.

People who pursue ptr information don't complain about spoilers; or at least, they shouldn't because it makes no logical sense to do so.

Out of all the games I play - whether they be MMOs like FF14 or even single player games like Elden Ring - fan websites, social media and other online communities actually care about spoilers.

WoW is unique in that its biggest fan website and all of its content creators will post "X DIES" as soon as its datamined. You can't reasonably partake in WoW's online community without being spoiled non-stop, while you can in FF14 for example (because players/sites actually try to be respectful of spoilers there.)

I think getting public testing/datamining all these years has maybe melted some of your brains. WoW's situation is not the norm at all.

Or if you got spoiled on twitter because you're active in the wow fandom, thats your own fault.
    That's a nice perfect world you live in there were spoilers stay within the part of the community that seek them out and nobody uses them to then spoil others (oh wow guess that's why they're called spoilers).

- - - Updated - - -

Out of all the games I play - whether they be MMOs like FF14 or even single player games like Elden Ring - fan websites, social media and other online communities actually care about spoilers.

WoW is unique in that its biggest fan website and all of its content creators will post "X DIES" as soon as its datamined. You can't reasonably partake in WoW's online community without being spoiled non-stop, while you can in FF14 for example (because players/sites actually try to be respectful of spoilers there.)

I think getting public testing/datamining all these years has maybe melted some of your brains. WoW's situation is not the norm at all.
    It helps that some of those other games also enforce their terms of service and send takedown requests/hand out suspensions for publishing datamined content (especially when unannounced or a story spoiler).

Yup! Patches and seasons aren't actually tied together at all when it comes to the technical side of things. It just usually makes sense to combine patch releases and seasons.
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2022-05-05 at 06:17 PM.

1+ Year Old Account
    I think it is also important to state that this topic would never have become what it is if it wasn't for the sub par quality of the game. I genuinely think this whole Anti-Datamining thing spun up because people were tired of the clown fiesta the narrative was being spoiled and dragged and stretched out in front of the audience who cared about it for what was multiple months and again feedback from that was not listened to as seen with the embarassing Crown of Wills situation and where it ended up.

Being able to hide away that would be benefitial to the game and as such the anti-datamining core motivation is to stop the embarassment and then theres the other crowd whos' feeling is that theres' no reason to login since you can just check WoWHead for everything and move on with your life

Regardless my stance is simply. Fuck Datamining. (shocker) ...But hey if Datamining exists, why not enjoy it while it lasts? Again, you can't tell a fan to NOT look because they will look anyways even if they dislike the core concept of it.
    Last edited by Foreign Exchange Ztudent; 2022-05-05 at 06:53 PM.

Nihil.