1. #59921
    Herald of the Titans Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    I mean, the interview literally states that Uldaman will be a revamped Level 60 dungeon in the prepatch. They specifically say "Uldaman" and not "new wing of Uldaman" or whatever.

    I am aware that the new dungeon will be a different wing.
    That's pretty much a translation issue though, every other interview did state that we will get the new wing of Uldaman during the pre-patch (since Alextrasza will send us there to get information about the dragon isles or something). It's the same thing they did with the bombing of theramore back during MoP, or with the blackrock spires dungeon during WoD.

  2. #59922
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiHext View Post
    I am not sure how often I still have to disagree on this, but two points:
    1. We still don't know what kind of systems they add that weren't in the reveal, so I wouldn't talk about 'fewer systems'.
    2. Talent trees alone will be a mess and I simply refuse to believe that they can fix them in 5 month when in past alpha cycles they were awfully slow with most changes. They oftentimes just worked on one or two classes each build.
    Alpha/Beta length for each expansion (FF Alpha until release), from my best recollection and some sleuthing:

    TBC: 5 months
    WOTLK: 6 months
    Cata: 6 months
    MOP: 7 months
    WOD: 5 months
    Legion: 9 months
    BFA: 6 months
    SL: 7 months

    It wouldn't be wildly beyond comprehension for it to release by the end of December if the first FF Alpha version lands within a week or so, but delaying for up to a month (like they did with SL) isn't out of the question. What's thrown people for a loop is that they've never announced a release date this early. Usually a release date is announced when its about 3 months away. Certainly never before Alpha.

    Anyway the thing they likely want to avoid is repeating Legion, which led to a final content patch cycle for WoD that lasted for a total of 13 months. No one wants to still be doing Shadowlands content until March of 2023.

  3. #59923
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    It wouldn't be wildly beyond comprehension for it to release by the end of December if the first FF Alpha version lands within a week or so, but delaying for up to a month (like they did with SL) isn't out of the question. What's thrown people for a loop is that they've never announced a release date this early. Usually a release date is announced when its about 3 months away. Certainly never before Alpha..
    They didn't revealed release date, we always get estimated season on pre-order page (for example Legion/BfA before 23rd September, SL/DF before 31st December). But pre-order happened so late (9 months later than Shadowlands!) and December is pretty much out of question for release, so 15th or 22nd November release is almost certain...

    ... if they will be ready of course. Yes, historical data is against it, Alpha/Beta have to be concluded in 4-4.5 month. But here's the thing - it's not like deadline was revealed year ago (like with Warcraft 3 or SL) and we had no Alpha since then. We got this date NOW, almost right before Alpha. So I'm more in curiosity than panic mode.

    We will see if Alpha is more advanced than usual. Key thing will be talents, I think no matter what they will release zone per build anyway to focus all feedback on single thing.

  4. #59924
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    That's pretty much a translation issue though, every other interview did state that we will get the new wing of Uldaman during the pre-patch (since Alextrasza will send us there to get information about the dragon isles or something). It's the same thing they did with the bombing of theramore back during MoP, or with the blackrock spires dungeon during WoD.
    No other interview mentions the Prepatch + Uldaman thing.

  5. #59925
    I just realized they kinda skipped a TW raid this time around
    Normally when we get an expansion in TW we then get the raid for the next expansion and this time it was MoP...I was hoping to get my Lei shen trinket

  6. #59926
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    So I'm more in curiosity than panic mode.
    Same. Like I said, the timing is unusual but nothing that raises big red flags.

    We will see if Alpha is more advanced than usual. Key thing will be talents, I think no matter what they will release zone per build anyway to focus all feedback on single thing.
    The talent revamp for DF is the kind of thing that would ordinarily require lots of testing, but on the other hand the kind of revamp they're doing isn't adding dozens of new abilities for each class, which I think some people expect (and which is not really reasonable).

    I think the thing that frustrated a lot of people with SL testing is that they wanted fairly substantial changes to big systems and that's not something that Beta is for. Beta is for fixing bugs and ideally getting at a good starting point for numbers balancing and that's pretty much it. That was hard for some of the Covenant systems because of both the exclusivity inherent in the system they designed and that it was layering on a substantial amount of new stuff, whereas the talents aren't exclusive to the same degree and the new trees are being populated with existing stuff. And so testing is probably going to prioritize fixing new player-discovered ability combinations that are game-breaking.

  7. #59927
    Herald of the Titans Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    No other interview mentions the Prepatch + Uldaman thing.
    I'm quite sure they talked in a video interview about it somewhere. Anyways, we will see who is right once pre-patch hits =)

    Besides, the dragonflight sites mentions the new dungeon wing and there is literally no way they do a new dungeon wing aswell as an upscale of the old dungeon with classic mechanics, kekW.
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2022-07-01 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #59928
    I feel like the acquisition announcement is their official response to the criticisms about the preorders going out.

    "Here's why it's 2022..."

  9. #59929
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I feel like the acquisition announcement is their official response to the criticisms about the preorders going out.

    "Here's why it's 2022..."
    It's kind of weird tho. "We just hired 100 new people and they all instantly know how the codebase works and can immediately start working on Dragonflight!". In the long term it will bring more content, but on the short term, all of those new employees need to be worked in and that would slow down progress a bit for a couple of months, so they don't really gain much short term.

  10. #59930
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    43,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I feel like the acquisition announcement is their official response to the criticisms about the preorders going out.

    "Here's why it's 2022..."
    I mean it could, but thats a maybe to me personally.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  11. #59931
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    It's kind of weird tho. "We just hired 100 new people and they all instantly know how the codebase works and can immediately start working on Dragonflight!". In the long term it will bring more content, but on the short term, all of those new employees need to be worked in and that would slow down progress a bit for a couple of months, so they don't really gain much short term.
    The main reason it's out 2022 is because the development timeline is likely the same as ever, it was just revealed in Spring 2022 instead of November 2021. This just feels like an official response: note that no devs have commented or been allowed to comment on the worries about rushed development.

  12. #59932
    Over 9000! Lahis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    9,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I feel like the acquisition announcement is their official response to the criticisms about the preorders going out.

    "Here's why it's 2022..."
    Those guys will be up to speed for 10.3 at the earliest. They can't save 10.0

  13. #59933
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Those guys will be up to speed for 10.3 at the earliest. They can't save 10.0
    Up to speed... on what?

  14. #59934
    Legendary! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    6,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Those guys will be up to speed for 10.3 at the earliest. They can't save 10.0
    So like, it will take 1.5y+ for them?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  15. #59935
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Up to speed... on what?
    The way wow is coded, the tools they use to make art, ect. Different games/studios work with different programs and methods and Old things like wow don’t tend to work on the same basis as other products so it takes adjustment time.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  16. #59936
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Those guys will be up to speed for 10.3 at the earliest. They can't save 10.0
    Rmap up time for professional software engineers isn't 12+ months, let alone 9, regardless of how massive a system is.

    10.1 & 10.2 aren't also simultaneously in actual development right now, so their impact would likely be seen in some parts of 10.1 ot 10.2 at the latest.

    And 10.0 doesn't need saving when there's so few things that need actual, rigorous testing.

  17. #59937
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    43,902
    It will show in time, personally I feel like MMO teams can't be small anyways, massive project regardless of how long its around but I digress. 10.0 doesn't need saving IMO based on what we know of it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  18. #59938
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It will show in time, personally I feel like MMO teams can't be small anyways, massive project regardless of how long its around but I digress. 10.0 doesn't need saving IMO based on what we know of it.
    Well, it's not going to include any radical new gamemodes for people. Nothing short of Housing or an insanely good story(???) is going to excite people who don't care about PvP/Raids/Arenas.

    So there's no 'saving' it, people will either like it or not.

  19. #59939
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    The way wow is coded, the tools they use to make art, ect. Different games/studios work with different programs and methods and Old things like wow don’t tend to work on the same basis as other products so it takes adjustment time.
    They've been working there since May.

    It'll take them 3 months tops to be on top of things. Considering how high the turnover for software developers is, nothing would ever get done if it took people 1.5 years to learn an enviromnent LMAO.

  20. #59940
    So apparently the "mystery stables" on the PTR now have a dismounting effect when you get near them, similar to how important story NPCs in hubs work.

    Maybe it will be tied to prepatch or the DF intro? Though I thought it was going to be at the new docks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •