Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    News today? Otherwise ill be really worried and expecting it to release in..... in.... well.... december 2022! Fuck.
    They need to count all the money people throw them for a game that doesnt exist yet, give them time dude

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they'll pull another wrath and just announce the beta and have it be available right after.

Formerly known as Arafal

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dioporco View Post
    They need to count all the money people throw them for a game that doesnt exist yet, give them time dude
    You mean they have to count all the money people throw at them for items that are available right now in game aswell as an expansion that will release this year, right?

Well, I hate to break it for you but accountants aren't working on the game so I think that's prolly not the reason. I guess instead of that they want just atleast one week of a buffer between that unnecessary wotlk beta and the dragonflight alpha. Although I think the overlap between people wanting to test the classic thing and the retail one isn't that big anyways, on top of .... well wotlk doesn't really need all that much testing or pr anyways.

PS: Yes, I'm still mad they released the wotlk beta before dragonflight alpha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Maybe they'll pull another wrath and just announce the beta and have it be available right after.
    I'm actually wondering if they will pull another Overwatch 2 and make the beta available via twitch or the store.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Is it possible there is an actual F&F Alpha going on that we don't know about? I think it used to be that alpha was not early beta access for streamers but an actual stability test that was not dataminable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Woooo, 3000th page hype \o/
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

3000 pages. Can't believe it.

Happy Page 3000 everyone. I like to go back a few hundred pages at every milestone. I'm looking back on the pages just before the announcement. That was such a fun and confusing time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    You mean they have to count all the money people throw at them for items that are available right now in game aswell as an expansion that will release this year, right?

Well, I hate to break it for you but accountants aren't working on the game so I think that's prolly not the reason. I guess instead of that they want just atleast one week of a buffer between that unnecessary wotlk beta and the dragonflight alpha. Although I think the overlap between people wanting to test the classic thing and the retail one isn't that big anyways, on top of .... well wotlk doesn't really need all that much testing or pr anyways.

PS: Yes, I'm still mad they released the wotlk beta before dragonflight alpha.
    To a certain extent, it makes sense if you are trying to get real testing for each version of WoW to do Wrath first. If both were out around the same time, streamers would likely go to DF first as that's more likely to get viewers, new content & all, which would somewhat bury visibility of the Wrath beta. Doing it this way, there's some actual testing happening for the beta which they can see...and is still pretty needed, if not as needed as for retail. Here's a bug MrGM found to illustrate how weird things just kind of happen: https://twitter.com/MrGMYT/status/1539932825608126465

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    To a certain extent, it makes sense if you are trying to get real testing for each version of WoW to do Wrath first. If both were out around the same time, streamers would likely go to DF first as that's more likely to get viewers, new content & all, which would somewhat bury visibility of the Wrath beta. Doing it this way, there's some actual testing happening for the beta which they can see...and is still pretty needed, if not as needed as for retail. Here's a bug MrGM found to illustrate how weird things just kind of happen: https://twitter.com/MrGMYT/status/1539932825608126465
    That isn't a bug, it's a feature. :P

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    That isn't a bug, it's a feature. :P
    I suppose horses sacrificing Scarlet Crusade members upstairs in a tavern could be a new direction for the plot to add in. #SomeChanges

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Is it possible there is an actual F&F Alpha going on that we don't know about? I think it used to be that alpha was not early beta access for streamers but an actual stability test that was not dataminable.
    The test build is publicly visible already isn't it?

That was the whole thing a while back that Marlamin talked about. That we'd know when alpha-y testing starts because that would start getting frequent build updates instead of mostly just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    The test build is publicly visible already isn't it?

That was the whole thing a while back that Marlamin talked about. That we'd know when alpha-y testing starts because that would start getting frequent build updates instead of mostly just sitting there.
    Guess you are right. Probably mostly vendor builds to make sure everything is stable so far then.

That said, there is absolutely no reason for alpha to be long. Sorry but the fairly long alphas we've had in the past few expacs just felt like marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed010 View Post
    That's because it actually doesn't need much testing?

Talent trees have already been broken down why they essentially require the bare minimum of testing.

Crafting system needs testing.

Reputation moving towards reknown doesn't require testing since it's using the existing reknown infrastructure over the base reputation you'd normally see. Functionally the same but visually different is all.

The biggest changes are the talent trees and crafting system and only one of those requires actual testing. Assuming Blizzard didn't lie back in April that they're ahead of schedule/further along in development compared to past expansions, 5 months of testing is plenty.
    I don't think you know what testing means.

Honestly one of the most important forms of testing that NEVER happens is how endgame reward structures feel.

Page 3000 hype! We did it everyone, now hopefully we get an official Alpha or Beta so we can migrate over to a new general discussion thread.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly one of the most important forms of testing that NEVER happens is how endgame reward structures feel.
    That's because they haven't cared about how they "feel" in years, only on how to apply maximum theoretic player retention metrics to them without taking into account player burnout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticon View Post
    That's because they haven't cared about how they "feel" in years, only on how to apply maximum theoretic player retention metrics to them without taking into account player burnout.
    This really weird argument they don't care is obnoxious. Of course they care
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    This really weird argument they don't care is obnoxious. Of course they care
    Depends on who's "they". If they they are the same people who make the decisions on what mounts are obtainable in-game and which are cash shop? You still think they care?
    It's been very obvious to me that a big part of the decision making process when it comes to the game for the past few expansions has been "how do we maximize profits" rather than "how do we make the game fun?" Does that mean I think the devs actually working on the meat of the game don't care? Of course it doesn't, they probably pour their hearts and souls into it. But are "they" still the "they" who make the actual decisions at the end of the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    It does have its own set of rewards, so unless guilds are solely raid progression focused it's going to be hard to ignore the decently hefty rewards.

- - - Updated - - -

It's down to looking at one specific type of damage, primarily stemming from a set bonus, which itself is from the last raid, end of expansions further having a reputation for throwing balance out the window in the name of fun.

Some classes will always dominate in certain patches depending on damage type and unique power gains. Expecting perfect parity in all forms of content at all times is not just unrealistic, it's downright antithetical to class diversity.
    There is a pretty vast ocean between "perfect parity" and being half as effective as other classes in an extremely prominent type of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    It does have its own set of rewards, so unless guilds are solely raid progression focused it's going to be hard to ignore the decently hefty rewards.

- - - Updated - - -

It's down to looking at one specific type of damage, primarily stemming from a set bonus, which itself is from the last raid, end of expansions further having a reputation for throwing balance out the window in the name of fun.

Some classes will always dominate in certain patches depending on damage type and unique power gains. Expecting perfect parity in all forms of content at all times is not just unrealistic, it's downright antithetical to class diversity.
    The raid reward is essentially a mount you can get by doing a raid in lfr

The new loot rewards will be interesting