1. #63261
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    44,683
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyWarrior View Post
    Only warriors should get execute mechanics
    We already have one and we're already dependent on it as it is. Too dependant on it if you ask me.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  2. #63262
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,717
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyWarrior View Post
    Only warriors should get execute mechanics
    This ship has sailed ages ago.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  3. #63263
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Looking through all the creature models, there seems to be some issues with art style consistency.
    I noticed some smoothness with some models that almost look disneyfied in a way. Especislly Nozdormu has this.

    Its different to me.

  4. #63264
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I noticed some smoothness with some models that almost look disneyfied in a way. Especislly Nozdormu has this.

    Its different to me.
    I feel it's a logical conclusion of WoW wanting to stay stylized with its shaders and shapes instead of wanting to try to aim for realism. Eventually you do just drift towards cartoony or a cel-shaded-style look even if you don't really intend to. A lot of older models kinda glazed over that because they were so jagged and polygonal because of what they could work with at the time, but the smooth-overs were kinda inevitable.

    I think player models are especially noticeable because of how the original models looked, trying to aim for realism on say, a human with their exaggerate proportions instead of leaning into cartoony would have look uncanny.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2022-07-17 at 03:20 PM.

  5. #63265
    Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    I feel it's a logical conclusion of WoW wanting to stay stylized with its shaders and shapes instead of wanting to try to aim for realism. Eventually you do just drift towards cartoony or a cel-shaded-style look even if you don't really intend to. A lot of older models kinda glazed over that because they were so jagged and polygonal because of what was worked with, but the smooth-overs were kinda inevitable.
    I think the issue was very particular with the gnolls because we got TWO new models. And while one stays in the spirit of the gnoll being feral, the other very much escaped from some furry visual novel. And changing Hogger to look like a plushie is such a poor choice that makes you question art direction.

  6. #63266
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    44,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think the issue was very particular with the gnolls because we got TWO new models. And while one stays in the spirit of the gnoll being feral, the other very much escaped from some furry visual novel. And changing Hogger to look like a plushie is such a poor choice that makes you question art direction.
    Pretty sure the icons for gnolls always looked slightly psychotic and like they're about to bash your brains. The old ones from vanilla.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  7. #63267
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Pretty sure the icons for gnolls always looked slightly psychotic and like they're about to bash your brains. The old ones from vanilla.
    Yup very much. It needs to look feral, almost rabid.

  8. #63268
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yup very much. It needs to look feral, almost rabid.
    It's still there:

    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  9. #63269
    To be honest, the Dragonflight Gnoll model resembles artwork like from the Monster Guide or even concept art than the current ones does.

    Honestly, they just need to give them more of a hunched back. Their posture is too good.
    Last edited by Makorus; 2022-07-17 at 03:35 PM.

  10. #63270
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    44,683
    At most there might be a weird miscommunication going on in the art team but I am ok with how stylized wow looks and prefer its style then Hearthstone or HOTS or whatever. Also Hogger again looks like he's about to lose his shit and crush my head in.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  11. #63271
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think the issue was very particular with the gnolls because we got TWO new models. And while one stays in the spirit of the gnoll being feral, the other very much escaped from some furry visual novel. And changing Hogger to look like a plushie is such a poor choice that makes you question art direction.
    That is really just hyperbole. The old model had a terrible smashed face. Is the new one different? Sure. But it is hardly terrible. At least they look like their own creature rather then a mini-tauren. Could they better reconcile the old vs new or finally give hogger a unique model because of his fame? Sure.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  12. #63272
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Looking through all the creature models, there seems to be some issues with art style consistency.
    Agreed—I don't mind the cartoonish art style, but I find the new models too "soft". I was always offput by the Drakthyr and was thoroughly convinced they weren't real when they were first leaked because of it. It's all very awkward.

  13. #63273
    A slight but very noticeable change that Warcraft art has played around with over the years is pupil-less eyes. They really went overboard with this in WC3, presumably due to some kind of stylistic choice as even characters like Thrall just had white orbs in that game. To me it feels like they've been moving away from that recently and we're seeing more models/characters with very human-looking eyes, which I don't think works for the more bestial creatures. Eyes are one of the characteristics we hone in on the most. Take the controversial worgen model update, I agree that they look too tame or outright cute with the regular eyes, but are much improved with one of the new single-color eye options they added in SL. Same applies to the new gnolls; the sage model with the milky white eyes looks more intimidating than the regular model used for Hogger.

  14. #63274
    Quote Originally Posted by Murlocos View Post
    A slight but very noticeable change that Warcraft art has played around with over the years is pupil-less eyes. They really went overboard with this in WC3, presumably due to some kind of stylistic choice as even characters like Thrall just had white orbs in that game. To me it feels like they've been moving away from that recently and we're seeing more models/characters with very human-looking eyes, which I don't think works for the more bestial creatures. Eyes are one of the characteristics we hone in on the most. Take the controversial worgen model update, I agree that they look too tame or outright cute with the regular eyes, but are much improved with one of the new single-color eye options they added in SL. Same applies to the new gnolls; the sage model with the milky white eyes looks more intimidating than the regular model used for Hogger.
    Not a bad observation at all. The pupil-less eyes do add a more alien edge to everything, whereas all eyes having pupils simply makes them seem more traditionally humanlike and consequently recognizable.

  15. #63275
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I noticed some smoothness with some models that almost look disneyfied in a way. Especislly Nozdormu has this.

    Its different to me.
    Actually i meant that some new models have very different art direction compared to others.

    There's the overly cartoony, almost pixar-esque looking models.
    Smooth/soft textures, usually big eyes, brightly colored.
    Spoiler: 





    And then you have stuff like this:
    Spoiler: 




    Models with a more rough, realistic looking approach.

    Furbolgs and Gnolls make a good example:



    Formerly known as Arafal

  16. #63276
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    It's still there:

    I think the hunch and silhouette is generally adequate, but I think it lacks enough sharp edges on its face, especially relative to the armor. Even on the armor, only the bit on its back is actually that pointy, whereas everything else isn't quite pointy enough. The face especially lacks pointed edges, screwing with the shape language, and the teeth are too small and far-apart for them to look dangerous enough. Same with the ears—too smooth at the top, especially the cropped one. The stance is good, and the way the hood frames the face is cool, but other than that it's all still far too soft.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Actually i meant that some new models have very different art direction compared to others.

    There's the overly cartoony, almost pixar-esque looking models.
    Smooth/soft textures, usually big eyes, brightly colored.
    Spoiler: 





    And then you have stuff like this:
    Spoiler: 




    Models with a more rough, realistic looking approach.

    Furbolgs and Gnolls make a good example:

    I very much like the second set—it's a shame that there's no coordination, because I would really like to see Blizzard permanently shift to the latter.

  17. #63277
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    [IMG]
    Somebody get Koranos a therapist already.

  18. #63278
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    44,683
    I see both sets look pretty cartoony if you ask me. Gnolls(or the hogger one) just look more psychotic but based on the old icon, I mean...no shocker but I don't see an artstyle change other then..... contextual difference. Yeah furbolgs might not be psychotic like gnolls are. This all feels like very....... microscopic things to be concerned about. The whole realism part that WCIII reforged(They said they went with a in part realism style which I disagree with heavily but I don't think that is the source of the game's problems).

    I still feel like the stylized WC look is still here in WoW and if I noticed something was off or something the devs said I disliked, I would voice it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  19. #63279
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    It's still there:

    I mean I did say it, we get two models, one is good. This iteration of the model that you posted is solid. The other version just doesn't do the gnolls justice.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I see both sets look pretty cartoony if you ask me. Gnolls(or the hogger one) just look more psychotic but based on the old icon, I mean...no shocker but I don't see an artstyle change other then..... contextual difference. Yeah furbolgs might not be psychotic like gnolls are. This all feels like very....... microscopic things to be concerned about. The whole realism part that WCIII reforged(They said they went with a in part realism style which I disagree with heavily but I don't think that is the source of the game's problems).

    I still feel like the stylized WC look is still here in WoW and if I noticed something was off or something the devs said I disliked, I would voice it.
    The devil is in the detail though. And when you are updating material, I think staying true to the original should be your primary goal.
    And I felt WC3 style did not feel realistic but rather they looked like miniatures we use in wargaming/TTRPGs
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-07-17 at 04:07 PM.

  20. #63280
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I see both sets look pretty cartoony if you ask me. Gnolls(or the hogger one) just look more psychotic but based on the old icon, I mean...no shocker but I don't see an artstyle change other then..... contextual difference. Yeah furbolgs might not be psychotic like gnolls are. This all feels like very....... microscopic things to be concerned about.
    Personally, I just wanted the gnolls to look a little more ferocious. Something a bit like this,


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •