1. #64881
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Eh, the lads never used them and they didn't make that much sense either.
    Frankly, it's good they never used them. Wings like that would never actually work and invariably look dumb in use.

  2. #64882
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    46,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Can I say this thing with the Oathstones feels lazy to me? Every zone is about a flight charging up their oathstone, it's cheap fantasy story.
    It makes sense to me in light of the predicament of the Dragonflights and their Aspects post-Cata when they expended their power to destroy Deathwing. The Oathstones sound like a means for them to power up once more, restoring at least a degree of their former might in order to combat the many enemies that seem to be at their door during this expansion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

  3. #64883
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Can I say this thing with the Oathstones feels lazy to me? Every zone is about a flight charging up their oathstone, it's cheap fantasy story.
    Blizzard has a thing for making us collect precisely 5 weird mcguffins.
    First the Pillars, then the Sigils, now the Oathstones.

    Sadly the latter 2 are not nearly as interesting as the Pillars.


    Formerly known as Arafal

  4. #64884
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    44,683
    ....If they intend to restore their former powers they need to explain it somehow. So thats not cheap.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  5. #64885
    Merely a Setback Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    25,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    I want Sims or Saints Row-esque voice options.
    Only if we get a zombie voice and a singing section to go with it.

    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  6. #64886
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Blizzard has a thing for making us collect precisely 5 weird mcguffins.
    First the Pillars, then the Sigils, now the Oathstones.

    Sadly the latter 2 are not nearly as interesting as the Pillars.
    I think that's more coinkydink. It's been 5 aspect flights for a considerable amount of time, so 5 stones makes sense.

    We usually only have to collect 4 sword fragments/special stones/a specific dredger's heads (they're weird, ok?) for raid shortcuts as well.

  7. #64887
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    It makes sense to me in light of the predicament of the Dragonflights and their Aspects post-Cata when they expended their power to destroy Deathwing. The Oathstones sound like a means for them to power up once more, restoring at least a degree of their former might in order to combat the many enemies that seem to be at their door during this expansion.
    The issue is the formulaic and uninspired story. Each flight has a special thing, go capture it! Each the kind of plot you write for your campaign when you are twelve. I know cause I DID write that plot back then

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Blizzard has a thing for making us collect precisely 5 weird mcguffins.
    First the Pillars, then the Sigils, now the Oathstones.

    Sadly the latter 2 are not nearly as interesting as the Pillars.
    Less of a weird thing and more of a writer's crutch.

  8. #64888
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    44,683
    The issue is the formulaic and uninspired story. Each flight has a special thing, go capture it! Each the kind of plot you write for your campaign when you are twelve. I know cause I DID write that plot back then
    I think maybe you are being a bit dramatic about this. Good grief
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  9. #64889
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I think maybe you are being a bit dramatic about this. Good grief
    I just find it a poor way to write a story. Especially when you've done it several times in a row. I also don't know where you are reading the drama. It's fair criticism.

  10. #64890
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    46,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The issue is the formulaic and uninspired story. Each flight has a special thing, go capture it! Each the kind of plot you write for your campaign when you are twelve. I know cause I DID write that plot back then.
    It's a pretty basic fantasy staple, sure; although this is less about "capturing" and more about restoration and re-empowerment. It's also a good way to create essential goals in a video game context, where you want a series of challenges and plot points to be overcome by engaging with the game systems. I'm just saying that aside from the perhaps tired MacGuffin meme, that the Dragonflights would have such an object of power to restore them is consistent with their story as previously told.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

  11. #64891
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    that the Dragonflights would have such an object of power to restore them is consistent with their story as previously told.
    It is? How so? Has anything similar been shown in the past regarding the flights?

  12. #64892
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    46,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It is? How so? Has anything similar been shown in the past regarding the flights?
    The original Aspects were empowered via a Titanic device of some kind, one employed by Keeper Tyr in the events of Dawn of the Aspects. We also know that the Titans are all about redundancies, such as the Pillars of Creation that the Pantheon left as an encapsulation of their own power for later use on Azeroth. In this regard, it makes sense that the Aspects would have a similar type of failsafe in case they were needed once more, and the Oathstones essentially represent that - they're basically Pillars of Creation oriented more to the Aspects and stored in a location that is more or less all about dragonkind as a whole.

    They're obviously new to the story, but their existence is pretty easy to intuit based on the prior actions of the Titans and their penchant for redundancy and storing power in objects for later use.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

  13. #64893
    Merely a Setback Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    25,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It is? How so? Has anything similar been shown in the past regarding the flights?
    The demon soul feels like it falls into that category given that they were able to store part of there power into it, them being stronger in the past but having there own personal demon souls as a sort of inheritance in case they ever died wouldn’t be to far fetched.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  14. #64894
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The original Aspects were empowered via a Titanic device of some kind, one employed by Keeper Tyr in the events of Dawn of the Aspects. We also know that the Titans are all about redundancies, such as the Pillars of Creation that the Pantheon left as an encapsulation of their own power for later use on Azeroth. In this regard, it makes sense that the Aspects would have a similar type of failsafe in case they were needed once more, and the Oathstones essentially represent that - they're basically Pillars of Creation oriented more to the Aspects and stored in a location that is more or less all about dragonkind as a whole.

    They're obviously new to the story, but their existence is pretty easy to intuit based on the prior actions of the Titans and their penchant for redundancy and storing power in objects for later use.
    Eh this is just seeing a pattern and calling it logical just because it is a pattern. We HAVE seen what it takes to empower an Aspect, at no point did the Blue flight need the Azure Oathstone to do it. It doesn't even seem like the Oathstones, like the Pillars or the Sigils, are the center of the story, they just happen to be around.

  15. #64895
    I hope they don't end up killing Alexstrasza or something like that.

  16. #64896
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I hope they don't end up killing Alexstrasza or something like that.
    Ysera's death didn't even take, I doubt she's in any real danger either.

    Nozdormu's on the chopping block at some point though, and Sabellian feels likely too (much as I hate that).

  17. #64897
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    46,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Eh this is just seeing a pattern and calling it logical just because it is a pattern. We HAVE seen what it takes to empower an Aspect, at no point did the Blue flight need the Azure Oathstone to do it. It doesn't even seem like the Oathstones, like the Pillars or the Sigils, are the center of the story, they just happen to be around.
    Patterns, by their nature, posit a predictable (and therefore logical) progression. The Oathstones didn't empower the original Aspects, but they appear to be symbolic of that empowerment (by virtue of representing the Aspect's oath to their purpose), and fortunately able to re-empower to some degree. Both the Pillars and Covenant Sigils were pretty central to their expansion's story, as well - moving the plot forward in most cases, as well as comprising a significant part of the overall story arc.

    The Aspects re-empowering themselves to some degree, recommitting to their previous roles as Azeroth's stewards, is going to be a pretty significant movement in the story as well, even if other things are going on.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

  18. #64898
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I hope they don't end up killing Alexstrasza or something like that.
    We need her to go evil and raid boss to complete our Aspect Bingo card.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  19. #64899
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Patterns, by their nature, posit a predictable (and therefore logical) progression. The Oathstones didn't empower the original Aspects, but they appear to be symbolic of that empowerment (by virtue of representing the Aspect's oath to their purpose), and fortunately able to re-empower to some degree. Both the Pillars and Covenant Sigils were pretty central to their expansion's story, as well - moving the plot forward in most cases, as well as comprising a significant part of the overall story arc.

    The Aspects re-empowering themselves to some degree, recommitting to their previous roles as Azeroth's stewards, is going to be a pretty significant movement in the story as well, even if other things are going on.
    Look, you want to excuse poor writing because they added a cheap McGuffin instead of actually showing the Aspects doing something for Azeroth (and not for themselves, their house and their flights). Have fun. Like the first zone has us reempower the Ruby lifestone yet the one who actually pulls all the work is not even Alex, it's Sabellian.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    We need her to go evil and raid boss to complete our Aspect Bingo card.
    Maybe Murozond can pull out Aszartsxela from some AU for us to kill. (Did I inverse that right?)
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-08-04 at 07:01 PM.

  20. #64900
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Don't get baited, this is what this guy only talks about.
    Ye, better not, but some are really pushing it sorry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •