Quote Originally Posted by Zebir95 View Post
    Preach said on stream yday that he talked with ion about player housing and he basically said that the current engine wouldn't support it. So, to have player housing you'll need to have a new engine.
    Or a new game. Azeroth Real Estate! Selling Azeroth?
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-11-01 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Or a new game. Azeroth Real Estate! Selling Azeroth?
    A new warcraft mmo would be amazing, but they don't really have a reason to develop it. Wow is 18 years old and is still the top (second top, depending on what you believe) of its genre. They have no reason to push for another mmo especially considering the cost. Maybe things will change once the riot mmo is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post

Yes boiiiii, there's a long version!
    So happy there is a long version indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    Love the bit with the violin. Going to assume that is the music for the Azure Span, to really make it sound similar to Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjords.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Love the bit with the violin. Going to assume that is the music for the Azure Span, to really make it sound similar to Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjords.
    I was just about to comment on this, it's definitely a throwback to Grizzly Hills, and a well executed one I must say! Looking forward to hear all the other music pieces they have in store for this expansion!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebir95 View Post
    A new warcraft mmo would be amazing, but they don't really have a reason to develop it. Wow is 18 years old and is still the top (second top, depending on what you believe) of its genre. They have no reason to push for another mmo especially considering the cost. Maybe things will change once the riot mmo is out.
    First off, was joking. Second the joke was not for the new game to be an MMO, it was for it to be a Sims real estate game completely about building properties (and maybe selling them?)

Didnt Ion mention housing in some interview where he talked about Dragonflight not being the right time for housing? Or did I just imagine him saying something to that effect?
    I know that I argued that housing would only really work if it was coupled with a world revamp, or otherwise some expansion with heavy emphasis on Stormwind and Orgrimmar, but I feel like Ion vaguely said something in that direction as well.

I don't think the issue with housing is that it's impossible to have in WoW. Just that it would be excessively difficult to implement in any way that satisfies those that are used to stuff like Wildstar or similar.
    The amount of effort that would be required just for the basic stuff like asset placement would be immense, and I doubt they would do all of that in one go.
    Yep - it was in Ion's interview with Hazelnuttygames the week of DF reveal (full thing is on youtube if you want to watch it). Hazel asked what sorts of considerations take features such as player housing on or off of the table.

Ion said that player housing is something many people on the team want, but that they want to do it the right way, and to do so would take a huge amount of effort and probably wouldn't be something they implement all in one go. He called back to WoD garrisons and addressed how they were a let-down in regards to customizability, and elaborated on the "it would cost a raid tier" line that is often thrown around. Basic jist of his answer: The devs want it, it would be really hard and would come at the cost of something else, they're not planning on it for Dragonflight, but the dream lives on.

All in all it was a pretty well-explained and reasonable answer. If she had just asked something like "player housing when" I think she wouldn't have gotten so much out of him; but asking more about the considerations that go into that sort of decision lent itself to a more interesting take.

That interview was in April of this year and is the most recent insight on player housing that I know of, although based on other comments in this thread it sounds like Preach may have addressed it recently as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Prenderghast View Post
    Yep - it was in Ion's interview with Hazelnuttygames the week of DF reveal (full thing is on youtube if you want to watch it). Hazel asked what sorts of considerations take features such as player housing on or off of the table.

Ion said that player housing is something many people on the team want, but that they want to do it the right way, and to do so would take a huge amount of effort and probably wouldn't be something they implement all in one go. He called back to WoD garrisons and addressed how they were a let-down in regards to customizability, and elaborated on the "it would cost a raid tier" line that is often thrown around. Basic jist of his answer: The devs want it, it would be really hard and would come at the cost of something else, they're not planning on it for Dragonflight, but the dream lives on.

All in all it was a pretty well-explained and reasonable answer. If she had just asked something like "player housing when" I think she wouldn't have gotten so much out of him; but asking more about the considerations that go into that sort of decision lent itself to a more interesting take.

That interview was in April of this year and is the most recent insight on player housing that I know of, although based on other comments in this thread it sounds like Preach may have addressed it recently as well.
    The real problem is the playerbase doesn't want it. Bring up housing and half of this website will tell you it's "pointless". They just want to raidlog and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The real problem is the playerbase doesn't want it. Bring up housing and half of this website will tell you it's "pointless". They just want to raidlog and call it a day.
    I think it's more that making housing good would take an extremely large amount of upfront development before it could end up good. And that endpoint is basically just another collection tab like transmog and battle pets.

Just doesn't seem worth it for what should ideally not interact with player power at all.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

7+ Year Old Account
    MMO Champion is not in any way, shape or form an indicator for general sentiment of the playerbase.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    Likewise, but I would still like to see a dragon or two in flight on the Dragonflight login screen...

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's more that making housing good would take an extremely large amount of upfront development before it could end up good. And that endpoint is basically just another collection tab like transmog and battle pets.

Just doesn't seem worth it for what should ideally not interact with player power at all.
    A certain other entry into the genre has shown that systems that do not interact with player power can indeed be worthy of investment...

... assuming the developer actually respects their own content.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account

I know of a specific WoW server that will remain unnamed that does player housing right - but it's a passion project with zero money funneling into it. It simply would not be profitable for Blizzard, other than filling up more subscriptions. Player housing is more of a server issue than an implementation issue. The tools are there to get it done, but server volume is the limiting factor here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    MMO Champion is not in any way, shape or form an indicator for general sentiment of the playerbase.
    Sure, but the sentiment is not uncommon in other areas (Reddit, in-game, forums, discord, etc.). And if we can't leverage that when talking about it, then how can you expect any sort of discussion?

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but the sentiment is not uncommon in other areas (Reddit, in-game, forums, discord, etc.). And if we can't leverage that when talking about it, then how can you expect any sort of discussion?
    Is it?
    Or are the people with the sentiment merely the vocal ones?

People pushing for player housing get tons of views, shares and upvotes across every piece of media.
    Even on this site whenever there is a poll it's always more positively received.

Formerly known as Arafal

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koollan View Post
    I know of a specific WoW server that will remain unnamed that does player housing right - but it's a passion project with zero money funneling into it. It simply would not be profitable for Blizzard, other than filling up more subscriptions. Player housing is more of a server issue than an implementation issue. The tools are there to get it done, but server volume is the limiting factor here.
    Is said unnamed server actually playable wow or is it just a customization tool wearing wows skin?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Is said unnamed server actually playable wow or is it just a customization tool wearing wows skin?
    More the latter than the former. It's made for roleplayers, storytellers and campaign enthusiasts.
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    shut up idiot

7+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koollan View Post
    More the latter than the former. It's made for roleplayers, storytellers and campaign enthusiasts.
    Ah, if that’s the case wouldn’t be surprised if they got around the code problem by just cutting out abunch of needed code for gameplay or just taking the assets and putting them on new Rp based code.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ah, if that’s the case wouldn’t be surprised if they got around the code problem by just cutting out abunch of needed code for gameplay or just taking the assets and putting them on new Rp based code.
    Nah, the gameplay code is definitely still there. It's not like you can just cut out parts of the game to add new ones. The reason the gameplay portions are gone is because of scripting encounters, behaviors - you can even make NPCs cast things, move, patrol, and all sorts of stuff like that. Combat and encounters are simply not necessary or feasible with such a system. It would require every person on that server to learn how to code WoW. It's meant for D&D type experiences.
    shut up idiot