Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    I'm sorry, but you can't convince me that spending hours upon hours grinding the same subzone with the same exact mobs over and over again could possibly be fun or engaging.
    Isn't basically Mechagon farming mostly the same as the ZM farming, just with a reasonable amount of the basic resource?
    If you had more genesis motes than you knew what to do with i think the ZM version would have bee far superior, because it would have been a few rare ingredients, some of which can be sold on the AH.
    If you wanted a specific mount you could just farm the specific recipe or rare ingredients you needed.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    Mount taming is a quite old idea and i know i would like it.

Which literally means blizzard will never implement it.
    They literally already did in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly I think Protoform Synthesis is crap. Getting one of the rare lattices or finding the rare reagents for the mounts should feel exciting but it doesn't because the actual issue almost always is Genesis Motes. You need such an insane number of motes.
    The motes can be a bit of an issue but in case you didn't know, there's a weekly chest in the Gravid Repose area, where you get the energy to teleport to other terminals. Go to the interior one, then the Repertory chamber or something to that extent, you want the Requisites Generator thing. Fourth option, gives you like 20-30 motes and a chance for the unalloyed bronze item.

You can do it on alts to get more. Helps a bit.

I do like the idea of the Protoform stuff though, being able to focus on what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Isn't basically Mechagon farming mostly the same as the ZM farming, just with a reasonable amount of the basic resource?
    If you had more genesis motes than you knew what to do with i think the ZM version would have bee far superior, because it would have been a few rare ingredients, some of which can be sold on the AH.
    If you wanted a specific mount you could just farm the specific recipe or rare ingredients you needed.
    Plus Mechagon had the event in the middle that could get you tons of resource if you contributed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    The motes can be a bit of an issue but in case you didn't know, there's a weekly chest in the Gravid Repose area, where you get the energy to teleport to other terminals. Go to the interior one, then the Repertory chamber or something to that extent, you want the Requisites Generator thing. Fourth option, gives you like 20-30 motes and a chance for the unalloyed bronze item.

You can do it on alts to get more. Helps a bit.

I do like the idea of the Protoform stuff though, being able to focus on what you want.
    Yeah Repertory Alcove. Doesn't give much. Honestly time spent to get energy on alts to get there would probably give you about the same number of motes spent grinding in any of the good grinding spots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think Protoform Synthesis is crap. Getting one of the rare lattices or finding the rare reagents for the mounts should feel exciting but it doesn't because the actual issue almost always is Genesis Motes. You need such an insane number of motes.
    As with nearly any modern system coming out of Blizzard, the concept is fantastic. The execution, though, kneecaps its own potential.

Huh? I never found the motes to be an issue. They accrue over time because they drop from damn near everything. They are only a problem if you have no patience. Some of the rare drops are actually rare, though, especially those darn Vombata lattices.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Huh? I never found the motes to be an issue. They accrue over time because they drop from damn near everything. They are only a problem if you have no patience. Some of the rare drops are actually rare, though, especially those darn Vombata lattices.
    Heh maybe you are really unlucky with everything else. The only thing that is really rare as you said is a few of the lattices but even then, nowhere near that rare to make up for the 500 to 1 ratio you need motes at.

Zereth Mortis just seems so barebones. Is the zone anything other than dailies / wq and killing rares / farming mobs for mounts? At least Nazj and Mechagon had actual mechanics and new events in them.

Heh maybe you are really unlucky with everything else. The only thing that is really rare as you said is a few of the lattices but even then, nowhere near that rare to make up for the 500 to 1 ratio you need motes at.
    The ratio is closer to 400:1. Only a few select patterns need 500, and several only need 300. And that actually is relatively close to the ratio you get, as well. Motes are frequent and drop in multiples. Lattices tend to be 1% drops at best.

Also, you can collect motes with all your alts as well as soon as they unlock the petcrafting. They are BoA. Even without dedicated farming i tend to get at least one mount each week just like that, and that's just off random killing for quests and to get rid of those 50k raptoras flying around everywhere.

The ratio is closer to 400:1. Only a few select patterns need 500, and several only need 300. And that actually is relatively close to the ratio you get, as well. Motes are frequent and drop in multiples. Lattices tend to be 1% drops at best.

Also, you can collect motes with all your alts as well as soon as they unlock the petcrafting. They are BoA. Even without dedicated farming i tend to get at least one mount each week just like that, and that's just off random killing for quests and to get rid of those 50k raptoras flying around everywhere.
    You realize there are about 50 things to craft? 1 per week means a full year with some farming per week.

You realize there are about 50 things to craft? 1 per week means a full year with some farming per week.
    And that's a problem why? Unless you're impatient and want them all now.

No they did not really. Or can you go somewhere in the world and tame a wild Yeti as mount?

No, you cannot. And that would be what i call mount taming.
    The Stables in the Garrison did have a series of quests about taming wild beasts of Draenor as mounts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    They literally already did in WoD.
    WoD had like .... 5 mounts that you could tame? I'm talking about a system that's an evolution of the current ZM Protoform Synthesis where you can tame all available wildlive with lots of recolours. So yeah, WoD did it but on a small boring scale.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is the problem? Zereth Mortis is supposed to give us content for a year 'till we can get our hands on Dragonflight.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

And that's a problem why? Unless you're impatient and want them all now.
    I explained what I found problematic. I have time and again acquired a rare lattice but did not have enough motes to craft a mount or pet with it. There is a difference in focused grinding for a specific rare item, finding it and then being able to craft something which gives you satisfaction with having to grind something common in large quantities which feels like a chore and devalues the earlier grind. It may not happen to you but it is how I have experienced the system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Where is the problem? Zereth Mortis is supposed to give us content for a year 'till we can get our hands on Dragonflight.
    Grinding infinitely respawning mites is not content. Which is why I am playing other games instead of doing that. But hey, more power to you if you enjoy that.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Stables in the Garrison did have a series of quests about taming wild beasts of Draenor as mounts.
    Again, being able to tame 5 or 6 different mounts with only one colour .... isn't what I would call a mount taming system.

Btw, I'm so glad they finally realized with Shadowlands that mount farming is content on itself and that people want all the different recolours. Let's hope they continue with that <3 (and also add new collection achievements including "collect all mounts from zone XY" ones!)

- - - Updated - - -

I explained what I found problematic. I have time and again acquired a rare lattice but did not have enough motes to craft a mount or pet with it. There is a difference in focused grinding for a specific rare item, finding it and then being able to craft something which gives you satisfaction with having to grind something common in large quantities which feels like a chore and devalues the earlier grind. It may not happen to you but it is how I have experienced the system.

- - - Updated - - -

Grinding infinitely respawning mites is not content. Which is why I am playing other games instead of doing that. But hey, more power to you if you enjoy that.
    But you don't have to grind the devourer mobs at all. Just unlock the pet crafting with your alts and you will get enough motes for a mount per week just by doing world quests/dailies aswell as clearing the raid on your chars.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

I'm not grinding anything. I build a mount a week with the motes i just happen to find. If i find a rare item, i'm happy to put it in my pocket until i have enough motes. You're really just being impatient here.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they did not really. Or can you go somewhere in the world and tame a wild Yeti as mount?

No, you cannot. And that would be what i call mount taming.
    That's shifting the goalposts.

I don't think they did mount taming well. But they did have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, being able to tame 5 or 6 different mounts with only one colour .... isn't what I would call a mount taming system.

Btw, I'm so glad they finally realized with Shadowlands that mount farming is content on itself and that people want all the different recolours. Let's hope they continue with that <3 (and also add new collection achievements including "collect all mounts from zone XY" ones!.
    I'm 100% on board with this. The taming in WoD was trash. My point was that it simply existed before.

I'm not grinding anything. I build a mount a week with the motes i just happen to find. If i find a rare item, i'm happy to put it in my pocket until i have enough motes. You're really just being impatient here.
    I don't care about the reward but about the journey to it. This is about timing the feeling of being rewarded so that it comes at the moment of success. Killing a thousand wasps and finally getting that vespoid lattice is a moment of excitement and getting to fly straight to the chamber and craft Buzz builds upon the excitement. Getting there and finding you don't have enough motes wastes the build up. Sure you'll get the reward eventually. But there is a structure to be observed to give the player the best experience.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about the reward but about the journey to it. This is about timing the feeling of being rewarded so that it comes at the moment of success. Killing a thousand wasps and finally getting that vespoid lattice is a moment of excitement and getting to fly straight to the chamber and craft Buzz builds upon the excitement. Getting there and finding you don't have enough motes wastes the build up. Sure you'll get the reward eventually. But there is a structure to be observed to give the player the best experience.
    Tbf I did got enough motes for creating more than one mount after farming one of the wasp lattices.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Tbf I did got enough motes for creating more than one mount after farming one of the wasp lattices.
    I just think the ratio is a bit off. Not by an order of magnitude, I am not saying it should be 30-50 motes. But if it was 150-300 instead of 300-500 it would work better. And for people who like to grind, it will always be valuable anyway since you can craft duplicate pets and sell them.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-05-02 at 01:57 PM.