Yep, as much as I like kyrian aesthetic, the continuity is (for the sake of the Bastion story part) dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiHext View Post
    Yep, as much as I like kyrian aesthetic, the continuity is (for the sake of the Bastion story part) dumb.
    The entire story is bad. The entire statement was meant to illustrate the stupidity of the "robot gods"of Shadowlands. The "logic is undeniable" is a reference ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    Probably, but considering that Wrath and DF will release pretty close together they probably don't care as much about news overlap as we think.
    I don't think this is the case anymore with them rushing out Dragonflight. WotLK most likely will come in August and Dragonflight will launch in late November, so there's not much of an overlap.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I don't think this is the case anymore with them rushing out Dragonflight. WotLK most likely will come in August and Dragonflight will launch in late November, so there's not much of an overlap.
    Yeah, I'm guessing early August for Wrath and late August for Season 4 start. Than 12 weeks of Season 4 which gives us 4 fated raid cycles. After that pre-patch and release in late November / early December.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The entire story is bad. The entire statement was meant to illustrate the stupidity of the "robot gods"of Shadowlands. The "logic is undeniable" is a reference ffs.
    But they are not robots per se.

I suppose their bodies are robots, but they have actual souls inside of them. They are as much robots as the Earthen are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the whole story would've made much more sense if she was just a mindless bot that simply follows her programing.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    But they are not robots per se.

I suppose their bodies are robots, but they have actual souls inside of them. They are as much robots as the Earthen are.
    I'm actually facepalming right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Its only a matter of time, if not this week, next week.
    In other news, water is wet.

I gotta say I don't quite understand the big backlash to the robot origins of the eternal ones. Like @Makorus aluded to, most beings in WoW are either constructs, or derived from constructs. I don't think people had issues with that, from what I could tell. And in this expac, it sort of goes with the theme of pre-determinism vs free will.

How so? Am I wrong?

Sry, but Makorus is absolutely right.
    Comparing them to Earthen may be a stretch, but the Eternal Ones are living beings as much as Earthen got living beings after the curse of flesh. They may have started like a robot but they came to life in the process. It can also be argued that Earthen were already living beings but more like some kind of silicon based lifeform instead of carbon based. You just classify them as 'robots' because of them being artificially made. Then again new life forming has a lot in common with artificial programmes (dna being a blueprint and so on).
    You could on the other hand say they are highly evolved robots…but what distincts a highly advanced sentient robot from a living being? Or, to put it the other way round, what are humans other than biological robots. Sure, we have feelings…but every psychologist will tell you that feelings are nothing more than chemical reactions triggered through certain stimuli.
    Ok, I guess this gets too philosophical.
    Last edited by ExiHext; 2022-06-29 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    How so? Am I wrong?
    Something that does have a soul cannot be a robot.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Bereft of the cosmic spirits of the Eternal Ones, these incomplete host bodies can only carry out their base directives without mercy or compassion.
    I mean, the robotic part is literally just a Vessel for the soul of the Eternal Ones. While we fight a Denathrius "robot" in the encounter, this is not the actual Denathrius, because the thing that shapes a person, the soul, is missing. There is only one Denathrius. It's the one with the actual soul of the Eternal One. While they are both made up of the same thing, a robotic body, one is an actual person, while one is just an automaton coldly doing things they were programmed to do (Redeeming souls, I'd imagine).

That's why the Arbiter is so computer-like. Because the Arbiter doesn't have a soul.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, they aren't robots. Their bodies are robotic i.e. artificial, but they are not robots.

To get theological, they are empty shells infused with a soul by a creator deity. Which is pretty close to humans in multiple major religions. They are also not robots since they are not animate before being infused with souls. The Arbiter itself though, that might be a robot.

But I was only trying to make a joke and people had to start the same discussions again. Marlamin is right, we are going insane here.

Blizzard has acquired the studio Proletariat, developers of Spellbreak, a wizard battle royale game (that's getting shuttered).

The studio is being acquired specifically to work on WoW.

This could prove interesting. I had heard Spellbreak was decent, but the battle royale genre is pretty damn packed at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Blizzard has acquired the studio Proletariat, developers of Spellbreak, a wizard battle royale game (that's getting shuttered).

This could prove interesting. I had heard Spellbreak was decent, but the battle royale genre is pretty damn packed at this point.
    Interesting that they are specifically being acquired for WoW. I wouldn't think the two games would have much of a cross section. Perhaps they are looking at some sort of new battle royale mode for the game? Or maybe they think they can quickly turn around a full studio & teach them the code base for DF in time for them to do some minor dev work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post

This is great news! I'm wondering how many devs we currently have for WoW though. Would be nice to know how much the team got boosted (as in, how many people are currently there in comparison to the new 100). Hopefully they will use the extra peoplepower to make sure seasons will be shorter this time, aswell as doing a world revamp and housing for 11.0.
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2022-06-29 at 01:24 PM.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Interesting that they are specifically being acquired for WoW. I wouldn't think the two games would have much of a cross section. Perhaps they are looking at some sort of new battle royale mode for the game? Or maybe they think they can quickly turn around a full studio & teach them the code base for DF in time for them to do some minor dev work.
    From what I understand, much of the original work on Spellbreak was intended to make it into an MMO, before they pivoted to battle royale in order to chase the trend. So there is likely a decent amount of understanding in MMO development background.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    I gotta say I don't quite understand the big backlash to the robot origins of the eternal ones. Like @Makorus aluded to, most beings in WoW are either constructs, or derived from constructs. I don't think people had issues with that, from what I could tell. And in this expac, it sort of goes with the theme of pre-determinism vs free will.
    I think people prefer not to be connected to robots or what not or rather certain origins are just disagreeable in concept. It does make sense the Shadowlands are very mechanical and robotic(I mean it is set up that way so its not a shock either).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I think a lot of people misinterpret the robot thing because they see the council fight and stop there. It was honestly a mistake to make them talk in the raid because it confuses people and makes them think that the Eternal Ones are just robots.

Only the body is a robot. The soul is 100% a unique entity (see: Pelagos entering the Arbiter body). But the raid boss makes it look like they talk and act fairly normally WITHOUT their soul, which is likely done just to give the fight some flavor, but absolutely muddles the lore.

They should've said stuff life "ENGAGING HOSTILES" in a robot voice instead of sounding like their usual selves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    This is great news! I'm wondering how many devs we currently have for WoW though. Would be nice to know how much the team got boosted (as in, how many people are currently there in comparison to the new 100). Hopefully they will use the extra peoplepower to make sure seasons will be shorter this time, aswell as doing a world revamp and housing for 11.0.
    The updated stables in the main cities point to the revamp happening sooner than later. The stormwind one is especially glaring as it uses updated Mage Quarter textures for the first time since Cata.