Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Is something like climate zones in a fantasy game really that important?

If anything, it limits what you can do. There is literally no benefit and is a big slippery slope when you start introducing real world science into the game, because let me tell you, there is a lot of technology that wouldn't work.
    You can always come with magical reasons to place weird climate where it shouldn't be. No one would complain about Sholazar in Northrend right next to a glacier because there is an explanation for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealCincaid View Post
    Do we know if the invites go out region specific? Have anyone in EU been given access yet, for example?
    People from my guild got an invite, so EU definitely got a wave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You can always come with magical reasons to place weird climate where it shouldn't be. No one would complain about Sholazar in Northrend right next to a glacier because there is an explanation for it.
    But that would change nothing at all other than some stupid explanation for something that doesn't matter. It's not earth. It doesn't need to have biomes like earth. There is no need to point it out because it's nothing special. We don't need a scientific explanation why the Barrens is encircled by three forests. We don't need an explanation why the Dragon Isles are lush even though it's next to Northrend.

We would need an explanation if it was set on Earth, but it's not.

But that would change nothing at all other than some stupid explanation for something that doesn't matter. It's not earth. It doesn't need to have biomes like earth. There is no need to point it out because it's nothing special. We don't need a scientific explanation why the Barrens is encircled by three forests. We don't need an explanation why the Dragon Isles are lush even though it's next to Northrend.

I mean YOU don't need an explanation. I very much would like one.

I imagine that this has been asked several times but... do you need an active subscription as a necessary condition to get a beta invite?

I mean YOU don't need an explanation. I very much would like one.
    You have an explanation.

It's called suspension of disbelief.

You only want an explanation because it's different from Earth. It's not like you ask them to explain what the gravity in the WoW universe is like, or if the laws of thermodynamics apply to WoW.

Like, what could they possibly say to explain the different climates lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca View Post
    I imagine that this has been asked several times but... do you need an active subscription as a necessary condition to get a beta invite?
    Apparently not. Someone in this thread got one without having a sub.

You have an explanation.

You only want an explanation because it's different from Earth. It's not like you ask them to explain what the gravity in the WoW universe is like, or if the laws of thermodynamics apply to WoW.

Like, what could they possibly say to explain the different climates lmao
    Verisimilititude is aspirational for any fictional setting. We always start with the presumption that things work similarly to our reality; fiction works on the basis of common understanding were exceptions are introduced and explained. Both fantasy and science fiction can get away with a lot though the basic premises tend to stay the same and everything that would work against our expectations is meant to be explained.

In fantasy this is usually done through a robust magic system. WoW does not really have that; the six forces paradigm introduced with Chronicle is meant to be a foundation to that though it is very much faulty for any number of reasons.

The open world setting has always been a strength and weakness of WoW. It's a strength because few competitors truly can match the scope of the world but it is a weakness in how weakly different zones are joined. In the old world in particular this is often problematic with no effort to blend terrain were you effectively just see a different tileset used between steps. Open world is meant to be immersive but the low effort just kills the immersion. And this certainly follows with the climate.

On how that would be solved; as said earlier, Azeroth would actually make sense if it was just the northern hemisphere. Weird climate can also be explained through magic; Sholazar's Pillars and azerite foundation, the effect the Maelstrom should have on oceanic currents, the Sundering and Cataclysm changing landmass beyond expectations; all these could to some extent work. You just need to make the effort to use the tools available.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-09-02 at 08:39 AM.

I've been invited to play the beta.

For now you can copy characters and create new ones either brand new or level 60 ones. Is there any thing that I should test?

What I can tell you for now is that the french client is very buggy so I'm changing my settings to use the english one.
    I've run the uldaman dungeon with my blood death knight level 60, with the gear that was given to me at character creation, everything seemed to die way too fast for me to even understand if creatures have mechanics other than autoattack. I'm pretty sure I will need to level a character to max level to get a better feeling at what the content looks like at competitive level. I will also need to level my character to get access to other dungeons as uldaman is the only one accessible at level 60.

Honestly I think the first priority is to just level a character. They want the analytics on how long you are in each quest, each level and each zone.

Beyond that what I try to do is:
    a) pull everything. It's so easy for a small terrain bug or some mistake in the ability script to cause weird mob behaviour; poor leashing, evade bugging, resetting health. That's probably a very high priority bug to fix.
    b) read the text. Players are great spell checkers. Maybe the way a quest is written is ambiguous. ALways report that.
    c) look around. Small breaks in the terrain can always happen. Especially when you are inside a building, cameras can be wonky

Somehow managed to get into Beta as well. Pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the new iteration of MM, though that could also be the shiny new car effect. At least for MM you do also get a greater impression that you are building your character with the talent trees, which is one of the primary reasons to have this version of talents.

Really not impressed by Soar though. The idea behind it is tremendous, but with the lower speed and extremely lenient turning circle, you just end up with what might sometimes feel like a side grade to flying rather than a clear upgrade.
    (Should also be mentioned that there isn't any way to regain vigor or for that matter for charges on the abilities to recharge)

Overall quite pleased with what I have seen. Though the UI changes will definitely take a while to get used to. I was quite honestly feeling like I needed a guide or tutorial to wrap my head around what has changed, even if the changes are quite minor in practice.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am actually so happy to see void tendrils return, that was such a nice thing to have back in MoP. Amazing.

And to see FdcL and mindspike return wod shadowmage, so much fun that was. This got me hyped.

With all the fuz and excitement, I cant help but miss one super cool abillity fron that same era. Spectral guise.. I miss this one so much.

#bringbackspectralguise

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is something like climate zones in a fantasy game really that important?

If anything, it limits what you can do. There is literally no benefit and is a big slippery slope when you start introducing real world science into the game, because let me tell you, there is a lot of technology that wouldn't work.
    Well let's put it this way; if you believe in the world more - it feels more alive and like a world

I have to ask, would getting back Divine Intervention be a problem? I know it can be used for trolling but so can e.g. Leap of Faith (and definitely the new Dracthyr fly-along spell). I want DI back dammit! Even if people have wiped my raid with it in the past.

They're still not sending out mails informing you about a beta invitation, are they? So it's always "check launcher" to see if you've been selected?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    They're still not sending out mails informing you about a beta invitation, are they? So it's always "check launcher" to see if you've been selected?
    Best way is to check your account page. I had nothing on launcher despite refreshing/relaunching, but had second PTR account there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I am actually so happy to see void tendrils return, that was such a nice thing to have back in MoP. Amazing.

And to see FdcL and mindspike return wod shadowmage, so much fun that was. This got me hyped.

With all the fuz and excitement, I cant help but miss one super cool abillity fron that same era. Spectral guise.. I miss this one so much.

#bringbackspectralguise
    There is a problem atm. Shadow has literally too many buttons from the talents. I think some trimming would be required.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Well the south end of the map would line up nicely for tropics if the map was only the northern hemisphere. But right now they present the map as the whole world so it makes no sense.
    Well, it's hardly a natural world anyway, and Titan tech has very clearly shown it can mess with climates (just remember Sholazar).

Actually, since physics still mostly work like for us, it would have to. I'm mostly giving it a pass because it saw heavy Titan editing, so we can just say there's stuff like Sholazar everywhere.

You have an explanation.

That's not an explanation. That's why you can't get to unrealistic without providing one, as it would break suspension of disbelief.

SoD is the willingness of the audience to put up with your nonsense. Not the authors fiat to completely ignore any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I did get an email today. Didn't sign up for beta but for invited anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Man View Post
    Oh definitely
    As soon as I'm able to get to my pc lol
    Neat, post the results.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still not sure where the tropics and the equator are supposed to be.
    Given that the planet seems to be hosting a Titan World Soul that bled throughout the planet once it was stabbed with Sargeras' sword, I'm not entirely sure that Azeroth would have a traditional tropics/equator setup like we have here on Earth. I could absolutely see a case where pending how the World Soul was set up, Azeroth had various hot/cold spots for proper soul maintenance. Pending the initial design, these might well have been better covered up before the Sundering occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Given that the planet seems to be hosting a Titan World Soul that bled throughout the planet once it was stabbed with Sargeras' sword, I'm not entirely sure that Azeroth would have a traditional tropics/equator setup like we have here on Earth. I could absolutely see a case where pending how the World Soul was set up, Azeroth had various hot/cold spots for proper soul maintenance. Pending the initial design, these might well have been better covered up before the Sundering occurred.
    Still, some explanation is in order.
    I mean when other laws of physics suddenly stop working like i.e. gravity, well it's either very poor immersion or my client is spacing out due to connection issue or something.

I mean it could easily be explained by earthlike climate systems if they give the slightest hint, i mean all of Europe is more northern than mainland US yet it is significantly warmer / more temperate in Europe due to the gulf streams (obviously comparing the temperate zones here). Hell the southernmost tip of Great Britain has a mediterranean climate due to the warm waters.

I'm not saying "Hey Blizzard tell us the exact climatological model your world uses!" mind you, but maybe more than "It's magic i don't have to think of an explanation.".
    Last edited by loras; 2022-09-02 at 02:12 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.