Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    That's true. There are definitely a lack of clear option for different version of the UI as far as I can see.
    And to an extent I always considered visually pleasing UIs to be a big strength of blizzard. Their Icons are so crisp (I'm actually annoyed we don't get to see most quest items anymore which go into an invisible bag of sorts because they DO have icons in the data and someone actually makes the effort to pick something fitting) and the UI usually frames their games well.

Moving to a lightweight UI effectively just gives me a WORSE version of what I can get with addons. If I am getting it from Blizzard with much less options I'd at least like to get better visuals

Does anyone know if it's worth me saving my sandworn relics to kit my Evoker out in starter 246 gear when the prepatch launches or will they get better from the starter area?
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    Does anyone know if it's worth me saving my sandworn relics to kit my Evoker out in starter 246 gear when the prepatch launches or will they get better from the starter area?
    You'll almost certainly get better gear from the Pre-patch events. Usually it's at least LFR quality, if not NM quality. Not to mention easily gatherable.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldshaper View Post
    I like cosmic lore when it consists of 5 adventurers discovering an ancient Titanic artifact in Uldaman.

When Elves dwelling on the slopes of a massive tree worship a mysterious moon goddess.

When stalwart defenders of a kingdom wield the Light to smite their undead foes into dust.

I absolutely loathe cosmic lore when it sends us to meet the robotic progenitors of Death, or has us imprison gargantuan Lord of the Burning Legion inside a space station, or explains to us the physical properties of magic and why it's all really just some kind of artificial battery juice.
    Yep. It's great when it's used for background world-building. When it takes center stage, as it did with Legion, it should still be mostly unknowable with the actual main narrative thread starring, as it did with Legion. We got character moments with Alleria, Illidan, Velen, and more. We didn't get diatribes on the true nature of chaos and its essential nature as a cog in the cosmic machine and tripe like that. Character moments are interesting - revealing the mechanics of the mystery completely robs those mysterious elements of their potency as there is simply no way that WarCraft-grade writing (even at its best) can ever measure up to the potency of mystery.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    Yep. It's great when it's used for background world-building. When it takes center stage, as it did with Legion, it should still be mostly unknowable with the actual main narrative thread starring, as it did with Legion. We got character moments with Alleria, Illidan, Velen, and more. We didn't get diatribes on the true nature of chaos and its essential nature as a cog in the cosmic machine and tripe like that. Character moments are interesting - revealing the mechanics of the mystery completely robs those mysterious elements of their potency as there is simply no way that WarCraft-grade writing (even at its best) can ever measure up to the potency of mystery.
    Nope. Mysteries are there to be explored. It was super cool to actually see the Shadowlands and get to know how they work, you simply disliked it. That said, I think we need ~2 grounded expansions between the cosmic ones, aswell as maybe a breather patch that takes us back to Azeroth during the next Lifelands/Twisting Nether/Light&Void/Arcane Expansion.

While TBC lore was pretty bad, atleast the way patches played out and connected Outlands and the Legion to Azeroth should be used as a template rather than Shadowlands.
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2022-09-09 at 11:37 AM.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    The main thing I wanted to try out is the new UI. It's obviously VERY much a "work in progress", but needs a lot of tweaks, like individual scaling on things like the minimap. I scale my UI up quite a bit (bad eyes) and many elements simply don't scale at all, or are too large and unable to be scaled. A few initial views:

An option to show class power more like the new unitframe does with health/power:

If you hide the buffs, the arrow should recede to the minimap bar for less clutter:

You STILL can't move the chat box to the bottom edge of the screen. Minor but has always bugged me.

Need a way to fade/on mouseover these, like Bartender; just more visual clutter, especially the bags.

Looks good, though the default color values for the unit frames are a bit too saturated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    The main thing I wanted to try out is the new UI. It's obviously VERY much a "work in progress", but needs a lot of tweaks, like individual scaling on things like the minimap. I scale my UI up quite a bit (bad eyes) and many elements simply don't scale at all, or are too large and unable to be scaled. A few initial views:

An option to show class power more like the new unitframe does with health/power:

If you hide the buffs, the arrow should recede to the minimap bar for less clutter:

You STILL can't move the chat box to the bottom edge of the screen. Minor but has always bugged me.

Need a way to fade/on mouseover these, like Bartender; just more visual clutter, especially the bags.

Minimalist dosing of icons is not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Nope. Mysteries are there to be explored. It was super cool to actually see the Shadowlands and get to know how they work, you simply disliked it. That said, I think we need ~2 grounded expansions between the cosmic ones, aswell as maybe a breather patch that takes us back to Azeroth during the next Lifelands/Twisting Nether/Light&Void/Arcane Expansion.

While TBC lore was pretty bad, atleast the way patches played out and connected Outlands and the Legion to Azeroth should be used as a template rather than Shadowlands.
    I fully agree that shadowlands was lacking a patch on Azeroth. Even if our only motor this expansion is that we know the Jailer's plan includes to reduce every being to a slave state, it never felt impending or dangerous.

They could have done many different things for this menace to get real like instead of Anduin, Jaina, Thrall, and Baine to get kidnapped in the intro video and us going directly into the shadowlands, we live this escalation in the first patch. Or midway we go to Quel'Thalas searching for domination magic traces and artefacts that the Primus could use to protect us from the jailer, as we investigate we could also fight off the scourge remnants in various scenari

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    You'll almost certainly get better gear from the Pre-patch events. Usually it's at least LFR quality, if not NM quality. Not to mention easily gatherable.
    I read somewhere (WoWhead I think) that pre patch gear will be 280, so you're right in there's no point in gearing rn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mysteries are there to be explored.
    Explored? Sure. Explained? Not necessarily. Unless that mystery is the actual central driving force of your narrative. There's a reason we'll never go to Akavir or learn the true fate of the Dwemer in Elder Scrolls. The mystery is what gives those elements its appeal.

Having all these cosmic elements in the background of WoW lore, with little tidbits hinting at them here and there with characters like Brann - that is how you use these elements properly. Mete out answers, but ensure that those answers only create more questions. The second you define it all is the second you've lost the core appeal. And if you feel the need to detail the minutiae of the cosmic inner workings of your universe? You're probably doing so in lieu of an actual narrative. World building for world building's sake is not how you tell a story.

7+ Year Old Account
    Explored? Sure. Explained? Not necessarily. Unless that mystery is the actual central driving force of your narrative. There's a reason we'll never go to Akavir or learn the true fate of the Dwemer in Elder Scrolls. The mystery is what gives those elements its appeal.

Having all these cosmic elements in the background of WoW lore, with little tidbits hinting at them here and there with characters like Brann - that is how you use these elements properly. Mete out answers, but ensure that those answers only create more questions. The second you define it all is the second you've lost the core appeal. And if you feel the need to detail the minutiae of the cosmic inner workings of your universe? You're probably doing so in lieu of an actual narrative. World building for world building's sake is not how you tell a story.
    Well you are just wrong imo. No need to discuss this even further, can we just agree to disagree?

(also, aren't the Dwemer in the newest upcoming ES game?)
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2022-09-09 at 12:40 PM.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you are just wrong imo. No need to discuss this even further, can we just agree to disagree?

(also, aren't the Dwemer in the newest upcoming ES game?)
    We can agree to disagree if you actually make a statement along the lines of, "I prefer when all the mysteries of a setting are fully explained," or something similar to that. That's not how you've come at this discussion, though - you've simply been combative and patronizing. And we know nothing about the next Elder Scrolls - but even if a Dwemer or two are present, that doesn't necessarily mean that everything about them is going to be explained.

Even Tolkien places mysteries into his world, like Tom Bombadil, Ungoliant or other "nameless things" that go entirely unexplained, even within his own supplemental material. Why is this? Because the existence of these mysteries expand the bounds of a fictional universe far beyond what an author can establish themselves.

7+ Year Old Account
    We can agree to disagree if you actually make a statement along the lines of, "I prefer when all the mysteries of a setting are fully explained," or something similar to that. That's not how you've come at this discussion, though - you've simply been combative and patronizing. And we know nothing about the next Elder Scrolls - but even if a Dwemer or two are present, that doesn't necessarily mean that everything about them is going to be explained.

Even Tolkien places mysteries into his world, like Tom Bombadil, Ungoliant or other "nameless things" that go entirely unexplained, even within his own supplemental material. Why is this? Because the existence of these mysteries expand the bounds of a fictional universe far beyond what an author can establish themselves.
    And they established exactly what you want with the First Ones just this Expansion.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Minimalist dosing of icons is not cool.
    Do remember the game retains the current addon options. You could theoretically even rebuild the old UI.

10+ Year Old Account

You need world building though so its needed and just ignoring the Dwemer in your reason is just lost potential. Eventually people will want to know so no. The fact we explored the Shadowlands isn't a bad thing

There's a reason we'll never go to Akavir or learn the true fate of the Dwemer in Elder Scrolls. The mystery is what gives those elements its appeal.
    Yet, mysteries eventually have to be solved, its not just there just for "OOOOH wonder what it is." Whenever we discover it yes I'm going to be curious about what it is not hiding behind this weird keep it mysterious nonsense.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Someone pointed out that the ancient DRAKkari empire looks like both Northrend and Dragon Isles. Maybe they are the "primordial trolls" and that's why Ice is being built up as an elemental force and not water?

If Storm and Fire are the big elements at launch, and we're probably getting an Earth themed zone (Underground) then it could stand to reason we get an ice patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Yet, mysteries eventually have to be solved, its not just there just for "OOOOH wonder what it is." Whenever we discover it yes I'm going to be curious about what it is not hiding behind this weird keep it mysterious nonsense.
    I don't really agree that mysteries need to be solved. You can have plausible explanations given for mysteries, only for alternative interpretation to follow at a later point.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw something separate, I wonder when these Primalists recruited? I guess the time skip allowed remnants of the Twilight Hammer to coalesce around this new goal? But who gathered them up and gave them the information about the Incarnates?

And they established exactly what you want with the First Ones just this Expansion.
    Which isn't interesting. Its literally just the titans lore bumped up an order of magnitude to adjust to a bigger cosmic scale. But with being more removed from the core story and lacking the more intricate interactions the titans had with Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have a habit of telling people what they want and what their opinions are. Be cognizant of that.

And the First Ones are functionally no different from the role the Titans used to play. They replaced a mystery with the exact same mystery, which does credit to neither subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You need world building though so its needed and just ignoring the Dwemer in your reason is just lost potential. Eventually people will want to know so no. The fact we explored the Shadowlands isn't a bad thing
    World building is necessary, but it should never be a goal unto itself. It does best when it rewards the people that are paying the closest attention, piecing background details together to form a narrative. Most hardcore fans of the Elder Scrolls likely have a pretty good idea of what happened to the Dwemer - that doesn't mean that it's not a mystery, though. And it doesn't mean that narrative needs to take center stage.

7+ Year Old Account
    You have a habit of telling people what they want and what their opinions are. Be cognizant of that.

And the First Ones are functionally no different from the role the Titans used to play. They replaced a mystery with the exact same mystery, which does credit to neither subject.

- - - Updated - - -

World building is necessary, but it should never be a goal unto itself. It does best when it rewards the people that are paying the closest attention, piecing background details together to form a narrative. Most hardcore fans of the Elder Scrolls likely have a pretty good idea of what happened to the Dwemer - that doesn't mean that it's not a mystery, though. And it doesn't mean that narrative needs to take center stage.
    What a bunch of bullshit. "The Horus Heresy", one of the best narratives based on "myths" of it's setting proves that you can explore worldbuilding and use it as the core narrative since you will always have new "stuff that's kept vague and waiting to be explored". And there is nothing wrong with having stuff being in your face .... not everything needs to be "pieced together by background details".

At the end of the day, you just seem to dislike stuff based on "myths" because you pictured them better in your head, which is fine, but well ... doesn't mean the story is bad per se.
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2022-09-09 at 01:52 PM.

#TEAMGIRAFFE