Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Mostly new features I guess? And not just making the base game better. For sure improving the base game and old features is a mandatory thing, but that should not replace new features, which it does in Dragonflight. I can already see how divisive Dragonflight will be just by how basic and ordinary it is for a new expansion.

Tier sets returned in Shadowlands already, so I'd hardly call that anything specific for Dragonflight. New content aka zones, dungeons etc. is for every expansion a given and nothing unsuspected. It's the bread that carries every expansion, so is improving the base game. But where's the butter? As I said, Evoker is it and if you like that - like me - you're lucky. If not, Dragonflight is like a piece of dry bread. It will satisfy your hunger, but it won't make you feel anything besides that.
    It's literally Mists tier of new stuff- new race, new class, talent revamp, some other core system changes (professions for DF, cross-realm for Mists) and one signature feature (Dragonriding vs scenarios). And Mists is often cited as one of the game's standout expansions because what it did, it did splendidly.

Personally I'm all for an expansion that does what it wants to do and does it well rather than Blizzard's fifty shades of reinventing the wheel. It mostly worked in Legion but BfA and SL were other stories.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's literally Mists tier of new stuff- new race, new class, talent revamp, some other core system changes (professions for DF, cross-realm for Mists) and one signature feature (Dragonriding vs scenarios). And Mists is often cited as one of the game's standout expansions because what it did, it did splendidly.

Personally I'm all for an expansion that does what it wants to do and does it well rather than Blizzard's fifty shades of reinventing the wheel. It mostly worked in Legion but BfA and SL were other stories.
    Remember that Legion features that stood test of time (mythic+, world quests) were not new types of content like warfronts or torghast. It's same tier as raid structure, group finder, timewalking from WoD, war mode from BfA, leveling from SL or professions, talents from DF.

I'm ok with all that and frankly I've long stopped caring about the contextualization of the game, but MoP was also the last time they really created something new, in terms of thematization. WoD was recycling outlands and the orc theme from burning crusade, Legion was recycling the demon invasion theme from Burning Crusade, BfA recycled the alliance versus horde theme of vanilla, Shadowlands recycled the undeath theme of WotLK, and Dragonflight is recycling the dragon theme from Cataclysm.

And frankly dragons are possibly the most trite fantasy theme in existence. But maybe it's wow playing on their strengths. They have to know by now that if someone wants to scratch the itch of playing a good story based mmo with interesting world building, they'll play FFXIV anyway, so they focus on the things they do better than ffxiv: deeper game systems and better pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Remember that Legion features that stood test of time (mythic+, world quests) were not new types of content like warfronts or torghast. It's same tier as raid structure, group finder, timewalking from WoD, war mode from BfA, leveling from SL or professions, talents from DF.
    I still maintain to this day that Order Halls should have carried over as well, with evergreen features like cosmetics and such being gradually added to them. They're a great concept and I find it sad to see it go to bin after one expansion.

But still, Legion also added (or more accurately IMO greatly expanded upon) Titanforging and the infamous borrowed power system pileup that most people aren't sad to let go of, alongside the stuff that as you said stood the test of time.

As someone else said, this is a case of Blizzard never winning for some people. Either the new features are extraneous and they should just focus on the core gameplay, or them focusing on the core gameplay means there's literally no new content, aside of course from a continent as big as Northrend, boatload of new instances, professions, new class, new stories, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't and never will understand the constant Debbie downer, negative Nancy attitudes some people have year after year. If you see so much wrong, the stealing from other games (lol) the repetition, the bad story line, the horrible new races, ect.......then move on...go else where and be a negative downer there. This is a game....important word there, game.....made for your entertainment...it's not your 9-5, it's not a do or die....it's for fun, something to occupy your time. If you're to the point where you HAVE to be the biggest and the best or you're literally going to melt....I suggest you seek professional help.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    I don't and never will understand the constant Debbie downer, negative Nancy attitudes some people have year after year. If you see so much wrong, the stealing from other games (lol) the repetition, the bad story line, the horrible new races, ect.......then move on...go else where and be a negative downer there. This is a game....important word there, game.....made for your entertainment...it's not your 9-5, it's not a do or die....it's for fun, something to occupy your time. If you're to the point where you HAVE to be the biggest and the best or you're literally going to melt....I suggest you seek professional help.
    I interact with wow a couple months per expansion pack and I fully accept it for what it is: a largely mediocre game with some accidentally good gameplay drowning in the middle (pvp) that is worth checking out once in a while. I don't expect more than that and it more or less consistently delivers on it.

People like you seem to have a hard time accepting that other people don't put wow on a pedestal and dare to be critical of the game. Basically I think you are projecting here. Sorry that you need constant validation of how good the game is by other people.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    I'm ok with all that and frankly I've long stopped caring about the contextualization of the game, but MoP was also the last time they really created something new, in terms of thematization. WoD was recycling outlands and the orc theme from burning crusade, Legion was recycling the demon invasion theme from Burning Crusade, BfA recycled the alliance versus horde theme of vanilla, Shadowlands recycled the undeath theme of WotLK, and Dragonflight is recycling the dragon theme from Cataclysm.

And frankly dragons are possibly the most trite fantasy theme in existence. But maybe it's wow playing on their strengths. They have to know by now that if someone wants to scratch the itch of playing a good story based mmo with interesting world building, they'll play FFXIV anyway, so they focus on the things they do better than ffxiv: deeper game systems and better pvp.
    I'd say Shadowlands was at least an attempt to create something new, issue is while they had some cool stuff like Revendreth, they also had stuff that was either very meh (Bastion, Oribos, Korthia) or so full of memberberry callbacks and cues so it didn't feel that new (Ardenweald = Emerald Dream/NEs, the Brokers = Ethereals, Maldraxxus = Scourge) and of course the Maw/Sylvanas/Jailer stuff which was mired in retcons and other nonsense trying to tie it to the larger setting but did so with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer because Jailer had to be the OG donut steel biggest bad responsible for everything and Sylvanas had to have her hamfisted redemption story.

Dragons are as safe a bet as any that has ever existed in fantasy, that is true, but if they execute it halfway correctly I'll still take it any day of the week over another faction war or time travelling Orcs with tanks. Even then my two favorite expansions are Wrath and Legion and I'll not act as if an evil big man in suit of spiky armor unleashing his minions on the world or a demonic invasion were groundbreaking concepts anyway.

I'd say Shadowlands was at least an attempt to create something new, issue is while they had some cool stuff like Revendreth, they also had stuff that was either very meh (Bastion, Oribos, Korthia) or so full of memberberry callbacks and cues so it didn't feel that new (Ardenweald = Emerald Dream/NEs, the Brokers = Ethereals, Maldraxxus = Scourge) and of course the Maw/Sylvanas/Jailer stuff which was mired in retcons and other nonsense trying to tie it to the larger setting but did so with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer because Jailer had to be the OG donut steel biggest bad responsible for everything and Sylvanas had to have her hamfisted redemption story.

Dragons are as safe a bet as any that has ever existed in fantasy, that is true, but if they execute it halfway correctly I'll still take it any day of the week over another faction war or time travelling Orcs with tanks. Even then my two favorite expansions are Wrath and Legion and I'll not act as if an evil big man in suit of spiky armor unleashing his minions on the world or a demonic invasion were groundbreaking concepts anyway.
    I'll happily take the Dragon Isles over the Shadowlands, solely on the basis that the landscape feels much more grounded and "real".
    I never thought spending the entire expansion in the Shadowlands was a good idea, so maybe I am biased in that sense.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

7+ Year Old Account
    Spicy datamined Balance changes. Wild Mushroom appears in the files:

https://www.wowhead.com/news/datamin...of-wild-328907
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post

You totally missed a chance to say "A Wild Mushroom appears"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You totally missed a chance to say "A Wild Mushroom appears"
    k

/10 Wild Mushrooms exploding
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-09-19 at 06:35 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    This is based on what exactly? I mean the beta doesn't support this at all. This is the hopetimism many here had around Dragonflight, but as of now it's based on basically nothing. Where does this sentiment come from?

- - - Updated - - -

All of what you listed is just an improvement of already existing stuff and not new. I don't want to degrade that per se, but it definitely is not a new approach or innovative new max level content, which was the thing a lot of players in this thread expected before we got to see what really is there. Again, because a lot of peopel just seem to overlook when I write that: Blizzard improving the base game systems is mandatory and good. That was never in question.

- - - Updated - - -

How do they? Most specs still function and play exactly the same as before.

- - - Updated - - -

Feature vs. content discussion. Read the initial post I replied to and you should understand my answer.
    They absolutely don't just building out the warrior protection tree I can easily be running 3+ current legendaries and bringing back old stuff like skull banner plus new stuff like shield charge

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    They absolutely don't just building out the warrior protection tree I can easily be running 3+ current legendaries and bringing back old stuff like skull banner plus new stuff like shield charge
    WW as well
    we have essentially the exact same set up but theres multiple playstyles we can build

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I'll happily take the Dragon Isles over the Shadowlands, solely on the basis that the landscape feels much more grounded and "real".
    I never thought spending the entire expansion in the Shadowlands was a good idea, so maybe I am biased in that sense.
    Nah you're not biased, having an entire story set in another plane of existence is almost never a good idea in an RPG and anyone who's every played an epic level campaign in D&D can testify to this. You reaslitically can't build a whole new dimension with enough physical and social details to facilitate even an illusion of immersiveness. 99% of the time you get a fancy but extremely flat and non-believable setting that absolutely has to be populated with either automatons or complete morons to even make a sliver of sense.

I loved how the Maldraxxi have fought each other for eons upon eons honing their battle prowess and yet the likes of Draka and Vashj were able to climb up all the way to baron in a matter of years, or how the Drust were able to terrorise the realm of an Eternal One (who supposedly posses titan-level powers) when they couldn't even take down a single house in Kul Tiras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    Nah you're not biased, having an entire story set in another plane of existence is almost never a good idea in an RPG and anyone who's every played an epic level campaign in D&D can testify to this. You reaslitically can't build a whole new dimension with enough physical and social details to facilitate even an illusion of immersiveness. 99% of the time you get a fancy but extremely flat and non-believable setting that absolutely has to be populated with either automatons or complete morons to even make a sliver of sense.

I loved how the Maldraxxi have fought each other for eons upon eons honing their battle prowess and yet the likes of Draka and Vashj were able to climb up all the way to baron in a matter of years, or how the Drust were able to terrorise the realm of an Eternal One (who supposedly posses titan-level powers) when they couldn't even take down a single house in Kul Tiras.
    According to you maybe, but there's nothing wrong with a completely different realm.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post

This would be huge for boomie. They wanted an aoe astral power builder or an non spender aoe for a long time.
    Not quite sure why they want to make starfall a targeted aoe again when the next aoe spell they add auto places under your target though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I just recently got into the Beta and I can't really say enough positive things about Dragonriding. It adds a quality of immersion to travel in the Dragon Isles that's really lacking with normal mounts, and really opens up travel in a way I didn't really expect from the description. Traveling from hub to hub or quest area to quest area in WoW is a kind of mindless, time-consuming task that feels like dead air, but Dragonriding makes it a mini-game in and of itself, giving the feeling that you're always participating with the game systems even when you're just traveling to the next locale to complete a brace of quests. I'm just midway through the leveling arc at current, so I don't know how end-game Dragonriding will shape up - but so far, it's been a blast from what I initially felt was going to be a more gimmicky part of Dragonflight's new systems.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-09-20 at 09:06 PM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    It is not the game that entertains me, but the devs incompetence in creating a game for their audience, which does not let them play for longer than the initial month of a new expac.
    So, basically, you're lying your ass off.

No. Wonder how you get that idea?
    Well, you just lied about what you are entertained by.

Not really. The devs incomptence really entertains me.

Imagine they remove the dungeon finder, one of the most successfull systems ever, from wotlk classic. What a wonderful stupid decision.
    Sorry that the community has been collectively telling them it was bad & they should remove it for ten whole years.