Page 1712 in some pre-xpac thread 2022 is all about „marriages in WoW“.

this says A LOT about
    - the game’s state.
    - the difference to some older xpacs.
    - the lack of other things to discuss, like i.e. content, features, etc.
    - how many ppls are even left in WoW, to discuss something.

harsh times.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-09-26 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post

this says A LOT about
    - the game’s state.

harsh times.
    I mean I keep bringing other issues but people just dismiss them. I think it says less about the game and more about the people active in this thread.

this says A LOT about
    - the game’s state.

harsh times.
    Crawl back to your hole. The players got what they wanted. No systems whatsoever. People aren’t posting as much because there isn’t as much to flame and big streamers with hordes of mind slaves are generally positive.

No power behind any grinds. You have m+, raids and PvP (vastly improved by solo rated) and professions. You can choose which endgame activity you like.

Btw another random thing; the Gnoll boss from the Azure Span dungeon doesn't actually die, she escapes. I guess she is going to come back? Maybe far fetched but while I don't see direct Galakrond references, Decay magic seems to be his province and is shown as the opposite of Order (even though that's Fel?) so maybe she'll show up again later in the expac if Galakrond comes back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sensei- View Post
    No power behind any grinds. You have m+, raids and PvP (vastly improved by solo rated) and professions. You can choose which endgame activity you like.
    Professions are in no way an endgame activity on par with M+/Raids/PvP. It is an activity that is done at end game but it has a stunted gear progression and the cost and time required to get there is far less than just doing normal world content.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Btw another random thing; the Gnoll boss from the Azure Span dungeon doesn't actually die, she escapes. I guess she is going to come back? Maybe far fetched but while I don't see direct Galakrond references, Decay magic seems to be his province and is shown as the opposite of Order (even though that's Fel?) so maybe she'll show up again later in the expac if Galakrond comes back.
    Isn't Decay the opposite of Spirit, i.e. Elemental magic?

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It is. It's how you enslave the elements (what the Taunka use) as well. Yet the gnoll Decay magic was used in a more literal sense (disease) and more importantly the reagent system in DF juxtaposes Order with Decay; we get reagents for Air, Earth, Fire, Frost (not water), Order and Decay. Though at the same time I guess in the past we have gotten Life and Shadow which are also not opposites (Light and Death would be).

Anyway I'd doubt they'd keep a leveling dungeon boss alive who doesn't even get a story in her own dungeon and zone questline for something beyond fodder in a future raid later in the expac. We didn't even hear about Wratheye during questing, she is just in the dungeon and not even talkative there. So I assume she'll be reused at a raid.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-09-26 at 07:58 AM.

Decay is elemental magic associated with death, Spirit is elemental magic associated with life and this aligns ln both cosmology charts. They're opposite pairings.

As of now that is. Dunno how they'll aling if we get 3rd perspective on the cosmology chart.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I realized that GoT prequel (House of the Dragon) will have finale same week we expect pre-patch. Pretty lucky for Blizz, cause it was unknown if show will be even good before it started.

It is. It's how you enslave the elements (what the Taunka use) as well. Yet the gnoll Decay magic was used in a more literal sense (disease) and more importantly the reagent system in DF juxtaposes Order with Decay; we get reagents for Air, Earth, Fire, Frost (not water), Order and Decay.´
    Which makes Order the odd one out, being the only non-elemental one. Though i don't think it's in there as an opposite to anything; it's there because the land is heavily Titan influenced. Meanwhile, Spirit is missing because Azeroth is siphoning it off to sustain herself, so there wouldn't be any for us to use.

Which makes Order the odd one out, being the only non-elemental one. Though i don't think it's in there as an opposite to anything; it's there because the land is heavily Titan influenced. Meanwhile, Spirit is missing because Azeroth is siphoning it off to sustain herself, so there wouldn't be any for us to use.
    Yeah could be that Order is just cause of Tyrhold.

We did get Spirit btw. In Pandaria. I am guessing all the Azerite is pretty spirit infused given that's what Azeroth eats.

So, speculation time. Anyone has any idea what the Titans might have placed in the Dragon Isles before bring the Dragons there? I mean sure it could just be Tyr giving them a home but they are probably guarding something. Or it really could be nothing.

Yeah could be that Order is just cause of Tyrhold.

We did get Spirit btw. In Pandaria. I am guessing all the Azerite is pretty spirit infused given that's what Azeroth eats.
    I'm not entirely sure it's really the same spirit. MoP was also before they really nailed that stuff down. Besides, you could argue that Azeroth needs more of it now that she has to heal from the events following Legion.

this says A LOT about
    - the game’s state.

harsh times.
    It's a filler, slice-of-life storyline, what is there to talk about? What the dragons had for breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    It's a filler, slice-of-life storyline, what is there to talk about? What the dragons had for breakfast?
    So we're dealing with a bunch of college Dragons now?

Guess now i'll spend the rest of the day wondering who would be what stereotype.

And anyone who thinks this expansion is filler clearly doesn't understand how storylines are set up. DF is probably going to set up the villains for the next couple of expacs. We will straight up see the next villain and the villain after that will be seeded in this expac.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-09-26 at 10:17 AM.

And anyone who thinks this expansion is filler clearly doesn't understand how storylines are set up. DF is probably going to set up the villains for the next couple of expacs. We will straight up see the next villain and the villain after that will be seeded in this expac.
    Pretty much this. Blizzard stated that DF marks a new chapter in the story of Warcraft (this was part of the reason why the time gap is bigger this time). We'll likely be introduced to the new cast of villains and co-operatives that will stick around for a while, similar to how Frozen Throne set up Arthas and Illidan or how TBC introduced Velen and Kil'jaeden.

Of course, whether Blizzard still has it in them to create something of that calibre is a whole different matter. I've not much faith left in Team Danuser/Golden, at this point I'm just hoping they won't try to lecture us ingame.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Almost every expansion is called filler. And if it's not, we have "omg this is last expansion" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    Pretty much this. Blizzard stated that DF marks a new chapter in the story of Warcraft (this was part of the reason why the time gap is bigger this time). We'll likely be introduced to the new cast of villains and co-operatives that will stick around for a while, similar to how Frozen Throne set up Arthas and Illidan or how TBC introduced Velen and Kil'jaeden.

Of course, whether Blizzard still has it in them to create something of that calibre is a whole different matter. I've not much faith left in Team Danuser/Golden, at this point I'm just hoping they won't try to lecture us ingame.
    The main villains will obviously be Galakrond and Murozond so I don't know what you are talking about. It's pretty obvious that they will recycle main villains, quote me again in late 2023.

BfA has already set up the new cast of main villains, all of which are hot women who sell videogames if they are put on the cover. Yrel, Azshara, and Xal'atath (who is now in a Void elf body). Denathrius will also be used again as main villain since he's the only major character from Shadowlands that was well-received. And obviously the Janitor was talking about a whole new cosmic evil faction that nobody knows about.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The main villains will obviously be Galakrond and Murozond so I don't know what you are talking about. It's pretty obvious that they will recycle main villains, quote me again in late 2023.

BfA has already set up the new cast of main villains, all of which are hot women who sell videogames if they are put on the cover. Yrel, Azshara, and Xal'atath (who is now in a Void elf body). Denathrius will also be used again as main villain since he's the only major character from Shadowlands that was well-received. And obviously the Janitor was talking about a whole new cosmic evil faction that nobody knows about.
    I'm placing my bets on Galakrond for this round as well but the point is DF will set up characters who can star in future expansions, like how TBC's main villain was Illidan but Kil'jaeden also received some spotlight. As for the ones you've mentioned I honestly don't see them starring an entire expasion with the possible exception of Azshara (who kinda deserved her own expansion much more than Sylvanas or Bald Man). AU main villain is a bit unlikely considering the community's attitude towards WoD and alternate timelines (though Yrel may make a neat 11.1 or 12.1 adversary), and Xal'atath feels more like a sidekick for void-affiliated characters rather than a full blown arch enemy.

WoD, BFA and SL were all heavily criticised for plot and character building, I personally think it's more likely that Blizzard will try to repackage and sell less known characters or whip a couple up from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    I'm placing my bets on Galakrond for this round as well but the point is DF will set up characters who can star in future expansions, like how TBC's main villain was Illidan but Kil'jaeden also received some spotlight. As for the ones you've mentioned I honestly don't see them starring an entire expasion with the possible exception of Azshara (who kinda deserved her own expansion much more than Sylvanas or Bald Man). AU main villain is a bit unlikely considering the community's attitude towards WoD and alternate timelines (though Yrel may make a neat 11.1 or 12.1 adversary), and Xal'atath feels more like a sidekick for void-affiliated characters rather than a full blown arch enemy.

WoD, BFA and SL were all heavily criticised for plot and character building, I personally think it's more likely that Blizzard will try to repackage and sell less known characters or whip a couple up from scratch.
    Nothing is off the table.

Garrosh in TBC was just some random nameless quest giver who had a conversation with Thrall. Blizzard actually put development in him instead of forgetting about him and turned him into a main villain that carried both MoP and WoD, and one of the most memorable and beloved villains from WoW (just look at the community reaction to his cameo in Shadowlands vs. the reaction to the main cinematics of Shadowlands).

Regardless, WoD, BfA, and SL were hated, but certainly not because of the aforementioned characters. If anything, people wanted to see more of said characters. You acknowledged that people wanted an expansion solely and exclusively about Azshara (who had hype comparable to or even bigger than the Lich King). Yrel was a main character in the Alliance questing experience, the main character in fact, and rose from a slave to the leader of the Draenei; but, like many things in WoD, the middle part of her arc was cut (along with the raid on Shattrath City). Regardless, despite the little screentime she had, Yrel was always a popular and iconic character from WoD and even managed to get into Heroes of the Storm before that game died.

Same thing for Xal'atath and Denathrius. Both these villains are newer and have less lore than Azshara and Yrel, but they are still beloved by the community. People refer to Xal'atath as "knaifu" because she was always with the Priest PC in Legion, and Denathrius was obviously well-received for his charisma and personality. So much so that people wanted him to be the main villain of Shadowlands instead of the Janitor.

Lastly, Azshara in particular deserves special spotlight. Before BfA you maybe could have argued that she didn't deserve her own expansion since she was just a minion of N'Zoth, but now she has freed herself from the Old Gods and wants to acquire ultimate power.

Point is, we certainly don't need some no-name 2022 character from the Dragon Isles to carry a future expansion. Or, at least, they can introduce a mysterious new bad guy in the Dragon Isles, but then that guy should get in the queue because Yrel has been waiting since 2017 to have her own expansion.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-09-26 at 11:16 AM.

Just went through the starting zone on beta, gotta say this expansion feels a lot different than pretty much any expansion start ever. There is no really big threat looming, there is no high end epic introduction (like SL maw, Legions invasions and artifact scenarios, WoDs gauntlet, MoPs faction clash, BFAs prison break etc.).

Going through intro quest made me feel like I was starting some side quest, which is a big change of pace comparing to what we are used to. On one hand it feels refreshing but on the other it kinda leaves that feeling that whatever we are doing here is kinda unimportant.

There is also a pretty big narrative push for faction peace, it feels very weird to run around in war mode when every other NPC has to remind me that we are no longer rivals and now we work together.

Changes to UI and professions seem a bit overwhelming at first, though I'm sure they are for the better. As someone who never used any UI add-on I still haven't got used to the changes. Maybe they could leave a "classic UI" option somewhere for people who can't be bothered to switch (though o admit new UI is objectively better).

I'm very happy that we have a "normal" setting again, with familiar races and zone aesthetics. Graphics updates all around seem pretty good too.

Can't get used to dracthyrs, they still feel out of place to me. Their background is a bit too similar to demon hunters (dormant for a long time, now they come back to the world and split between player factions for no reason). The fact that they can be either faction is just as stupid as it was with pandarens and DHs. It's funny that the original "same race, different faction" - High Elves, which makes most sense as a race that could be either faction is in only as obscure, second thought in a form of Void Elves, while we have these dracthyrs, Pandaren and demon hunters on both factiona for no (lore friendly) reason.

Anyway, I agree that story wise the expansion feels like a filler so far, but it's not a bad thing. It gives similar vibe to MoP and that was generally liked (I'm speaking story wise).