Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In a move that surprised nobody, the GOP already object to Biden's COVID bill that includes $15/hr minimum wage.

I...have to agree. The minimum wage issue should have its own debate and stand on its own.
    No, it shouldn’t, especially considering most essential workers are minimum wage earners.

I swear to fucking god this is legitimately the sort of spineless second guessing shit which will cost you in 2022. People did not put the Democrats into power so we could let McConnell continue to dictate the agenda - consider this a warning from the Gillard ministry and grow a pair.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-01-21 at 08:35 PM.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In a move that surprised nobody, the GOP already object to Biden's COVID bill that includes $15/hr minimum wage.

I...have to agree. The minimum wage issue should have its own debate and stand on its own.
    The GOP is only objecting because that's their go to move.

They bundle Y into a Bill about X and when the Democrats go against it because of Y...They say "Hey look, the Democrats don't care about X"

- - - Updated - - -

Other Big News about the Biden Administration:

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    No, it shouldn’t, especially considering most essential workers are minimum wage earners.

I swear to fucking god this is legitimately the sort of spineless second guessing shit which will cost you in 2022. People did not put the Democrats into power so we could let McConnell continue to dictate the agenda - consider this a warning from the Gillard ministry and grow a pair.
    it's like the last 8 months has taught people nothing.

Thing is, this isn't a general stimulus bill. This is a COVID relief bill. The only people objecting to the minimum wage are the standard fare in Congress. However, it is more important to get direct aid out to people first then push for this. When they do their general stimulus bill, go all in on the minimum wage.

As I stated before, yes, it affects mainly essential workers as they are most of the minimum wage earners. However, they also work in industries that have been forced to either shut down or run at a reduced capacity. Most of those same industries are smaller businesses like restaurants and the service industry(McDonald's, unless it is a corporate store, is a franchise and is a small business due to this as they do not get financial help from the corporate office.) Unless you are going to give those same industries massive forgivable loans to offset the increased cost when their revenue isn't allowed to go up due to said restrictions, a minimum wage increase is moot.

This reminds me of someone going to a buffet and grabbing as much as they can as quickly as they can not realizing that it will all still be there.

Remember folks, it is only day 2 of the administration. You have 2 years to get this passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I think we need to stop calling Trump and his administration incompetent.

They were malicious and just didn't give a shit. Trump playing golf every weekend, and Jared pushing an agenda to let "blue states" suffer under the effects of COVID with little federal assistance is proof enough of that.
    I think we can call a group of assholes that accidently organized a press conference in a landscaping company "incompetent."

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    it's like the last 8 months has taught people nothing.
    Or the past 8 years.

It's not just a function of necessary legislation; the task Democrats have is to show people that small d democracy is still a functional form of government that can deliver actionable change. Because otherwise they start listening to grifters who promise the world and "only I can fix it".

The long term stakes haven't changed. So just tell the GOP to jump off a bridge and pass an omnibus stimulus at the very least, Christ and Allah.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I think we need to stop calling Trump and his administration incompetent.

They were malicious and just didn't give a shit. Trump playing golf every weekend, and Jared pushing an agenda to let "blue states" suffer under the effects of COVID with little federal assistance is proof enough of that.
    I get where you are going with this...but let me give you an alternative theory:

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    This reminds me of someone going to a buffet and grabbing as much as they can as quickly as they can not realizing that it will all still be there.

Remember folks, it is only day 2 of the administration. You have 2 years to get this passed.
    I think it's going to be more like fighting tooth and nail for your serving of green beans, going back to the table to eat, and coming back to fight for your mashed potatoes when you could have just grabbed them the first time.

Republicans aren't going to comply with a single Democratic policy, it doesn't matter what's in it or not in it. Fuck 'em with a rusty fork and start passing shit.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Y'all are gonna get destroyed in the midterms and you will deserve it.

Or the past 8 years.

It's not just a function of necessary legislation; the task Democrats have is to show people that small d democracy is still a functional form of government that can deliver actionable change. Because otherwise they start listening to grifters who promise the world and "only I can fix it".

The long term stakes haven't changed. So just tell the GOP to jump off a bridge and pass an omnibus stimulus at the very least, Christ and Allah.
    I'm not talking specifically about the pandemic, i'm talking the real economic impact of people who rely on 60 hour a week, working minimum wage, and the risk of that 60 hour dissappearing, and if someone doesn't see the evidence now, the large swaths of people suffering food banks swamped, direct stimulus checks, holy hell the list goes on, that the current minimum wage is for shits, they never will imo, so debate isn't an actual option.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I get where you are going with this...but let me give you an alternative theory:

Speaking of that movie, chel was one of my cartoon childhood crushes

- - - Updated - - -

They bundle Y into a Bill about X and when the Democrats go against it because of Y...They say "Hey look, the Democrats don't care about X"

- - - Updated - - -

Other Big News about the Biden Administration:

Hot take: Coke zero is better (i dunno if you have that)
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

People its already over. President Biden has just had Articles of Impeachment filed against him.. Fun while it lasted.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

-Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post

Hot take: Coke zero is better (i dunno if you have that)
    Hotter take: Classic is better than both.

One of unsung strategies of the Biden campaign. Was ignoring Twitter and Very Online people.

So seeing the Admin lead with the $15 included with Covid gives me hope. That they will continue to ignore online hotcakes.

Seeing Biden rip off 15 EOs on day and call Austerity/Inflation scolds on their malarkey also gives me hope. It's very different than Obama's opening posture in the case of the 2008 crisis. Maybe lessons were learned.

Even Manchin and Sinema seem to be on board, they're most likely the biggest hurdles within the Dem caucus.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Do we have what they're filed for? I can't and don't really want to listen to the crazy lady if she mentions them in her video...

Tucker Carlson is "worried" about Biden's "war on white supremacists".

Good. White supremacists should be sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch.

Alliance

Oh, so what happened with the $600 stimulus, but with the roles reversed.
    It's just an old war, not even a cold war

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Tucker Carlson is "worried" about Biden's "war on white supremacists".

Good. White supremacists should be sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch.
    Im gonna make a prediction, Cucker will be replaced by another FOX robot by the end of the year. I'm actually surprised he hasn't already considering the prime advertisements money the network is already losing with having him in that slot.

Hotter take: Classic is better than both.
    I personally consider that to be too sweet
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Do we have what they're filed for? I can't and don't really want to listen to the crazy lady if she mentions them in her video...
    No idea its the crazy Q from Georgia. Probably Biden eating babies or something.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

-Isaac Asimov