1. #2301
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    He'll probably take the lead, his opponent is on Cruz control.
    Have we forgotten about McCarthy and Nunes?

  2. #2302
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I actually oppose this pick,like when I opposed Mattis. It's not that he doesn't have a great record, I just prefer that position being held by a civilian.
    The Commander-in-Chief is a civilian.

    The Secretary's should all be people with transferable experience. For SecDef...that usually means military.

  3. #2303
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    For SecDef...that usually means military.
    I see @Machismo 's point, I just disagree with it. That said, Biden's been around long enough to know a little about everything, but in the Senate his primary role was Judiciary. I'm sure he'd welcome the extra military POV and support. Unlike Trump, it's safe to say he'd actually listen to it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh, uh, apparently the SecDef is supposed to be out of the military for seven years? So @Machismo doesn't just have a point, he has the backing of US law. Gen. Austin got some kind of waiver.

  4. #2304
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oh, uh, apparently the SecDef is supposed to be out of the military for seven years? So @Machismo doesn't just have a point, he has the backing of US law. Gen. Austin got some kind of waiver.
    Correct, the exact same thing as with Mattis.

    And you had folks like Duckworth remaining consistent in voting against the waiver, which she disagreed with, but for the nominee if the waiver was granted because the nominee is qualified.

  5. #2305
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    56,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    You have no power here I guess.
    He is one of the most respected posters on the forum...
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

  6. #2306
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    the nominee is qualified.
    Man, it's so good to hear those words again. I'll also side with the waiver, like most of the Senate, but I get why someone would object on procedural grounds. I...don't think Hawley did that.

  7. #2307
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    *LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

    Didn't vote for Trump either time, too bad, so sad.

    You have no power here I guess.
    More plagiarism? Or just a weak "no you!"
    Or both, so tell me again who is powerless?
    /s

  8. #2308
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Man, it's so good to hear those words again. I'll also side with the waiver, like most of the Senate, but I get why someone would object on procedural grounds. I...don't think Hawley did that.
    He probably doesn't like how the White House is shaping up to be significantly less monochromatic.

  9. #2309
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

    Oh, uh, apparently the SecDef is supposed to be out of the military for seven years? So @Machismo doesn't just have a point, he has the backing of US law. Gen. Austin got some kind of waiver.
    I agree with that out of the military for 7 years part. I just think that the kind of experience a General (or retired General) has is rather important.

  10. #2310
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The Commander-in-Chief is a civilian.

    The Secretary's should all be people with transferable experience. For SecDef...that usually means military.
    They specifically had to get a waiver, because he's been military so recently.

    I think of the SecDef as more of an oversight role,and I prefer them to be civilians offer a differing, and if need be, conflicting point of view when dealing with the generals and admirals.

  11. #2311
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    No he hasn’t....
    I missed this in all the Theo garbage, but he has certainly done a number of things that help people in his first couple of days.

  12. #2312
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I actually oppose this pick,like when I opposed Mattis. It's not that he doesn't have a great record, I just prefer that position being held by a civilian.
    I agree, though I think in this case his 4-year absence from the military (in place of the legal 7+) is enough and I'm happy to have someone qualified in the position instead of a rotating list of "acting" officials. I don't want to make it a habit in what is supposed to be a civilian position though, as you say.

  13. #2313
    Merely a Setback Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    28,769
    Quote Originally Posted by PresidentGreymane View Post
    These are the 8 people arrested earlier yesterday after a crowd attacked the Democratic Party of Oregon headquarters in Portland.
    These are the people incited by dumdum radical media influencers like Jimmy Dore and Kyle Kulinski.

    What’s wrong this picture?



    Im starting to see why they typically hide behind anime avatars or pretend to be belgian.
    The guy at the very end has a promising future:


  14. #2314
    Question about Biden.. will he kill the Trump era sanctions to Venezuela? Because a lot of them are part of why that country is in a very dire place atm.
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2021-01-22 at 08:10 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  15. #2315
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I agree with that out of the military for 7 years part. I just think that the kind of experience a General (or retired General) has is rather important.
    My concern is that the qualities that make someone a great general, don't necessarily transfer to being a quality SecDef.

    Mattis is the greatest living general we have. The man is a fucking legend, and is probably third in the list of greatest generals the Marine Corps has ever had. He was a piss poor SecDef.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PresidentGreymane View Post
    These are the 8 people arrested earlier yesterday after a crowd attacked the Democratic Party of Oregon headquarters in Portland.
    These are the people incited by dumdum radical media influencers like Jimmy Dore and Kyle Kulinski.

    What’s wrong this picture?



    Im starting to see why they typically hide behind anime avatars or pretend to be belgian.
    I honor of Genn:

    Your comment wins the fucking internet, today.

    He'd be proud.

  16. #2316
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    My concern is that the qualities that make someone a great general, don't necessarily transfer to being a quality SecDef.

    Mattis is the greatest living general we have. The man is a fucking legend, and is probably third in the list of greatest generals the Marine Corps has ever had. He was a piss poor SecDef.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I honor of Genn:

    Your comment wins the fucking internet, today.

    He'd be proud.
    How much of that was Trump undercutting him every time he had a chance though?

  17. #2317
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Question about Biden.. will he kill the Trump era sanctions to Venezuela? Because a lot of them were part of why that country is in a very dire place atm.
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. He's still recognizing Guido as the leader of Venezula, so while some of the specifics may change the overall policy likely won't.

    IIRC most of the sanctions (at least the more recent ones) were all targeting individuals rather than the broader Venezuelan government, no?

  18. #2318
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    will he kill the Trump era sanctions to Venezuela?
    It pains me to admit it...no it doesn't, that'd make me a raging hypocrite on the level of Trump supporters...but just because Trump did it, didn't mean it was wrong. Trump had a tendency to consume food to survive, breathe oxygen, and oppose opioids.

    I think Biden could use this as an opportunity to get Venezuela to actually make changes, new White House new rules etc. Same with China. Oddly enough, Trump's failure at leadership and negotation might actually give Biden (long experience with foreign relations) a helping hand.

    We'll find out together. But you'll understand if there are other things taking his attention right now. Sorry.

  19. #2319
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    My concern is that the qualities that make someone a great general, don't necessarily transfer to being a quality SecDef.

    Mattis is the greatest living general we have. The man is a fucking legend, and is probably third in the list of greatest generals the Marine Corps has ever had. He was a piss poor SecDef.
    I think the problem with Mattis as SecDef had more to do with who the CiC was.

  20. #2320
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    56,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Question about Biden.. will he kill the Trump era sanctions to Venezuela? Because a lot of them are part of why that country is in a very dire place atm.
    I doubt it would happen in first 100, just because I have heard 0 about it... plus, it’s a bad look, so close to Trump’s bullshit.
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •