@Omega10

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...essives-466044

Good piece on the topic at-hand. Apparently Biden is making a concerted effort to work with progressive lawmakers and groups since he became the nominee (like working with the Sanders campaign on updated policy positions).

Will it last? Who knows, I sure hope it will. But for now it's a great development, and I remain thrilled that Middle of the Road Centrist Joe is governing a whole lot more like a progressive than a moderate centrist. He's not perfect by any means, and I support keeping the pressure up on him to stay in the more progressive lane (OR GO FURTHER), but these are some good early days. Lots getting done quickly, and a lot of more progressive moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I hope that you can stop beating up on Sanders supporters. I am still a Sanders and AOC supporter, and I am hoping that you will welcome us into your party, at least for now. This should be a time for celebration and for democratic unity. We will need it if we are going to be able to beat back the challenge of Trump supporters and McConnell.

Both factions of the democratic party united to strip Rep Greene of her committee positions. We need the factions to stay united going forward. After all, Rep Greene is still a member of the House, and is likely to be there for decades to come.
    I think you're taking it personally when you really shouldn't. If you don't have one or two specific people on ignore then you should know who Edge is referring to when they make the "OMG AUSTERITY NEOLIBERAL!" comments. Technically I think it's trolling, so shame, shame, Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Never mention the beer sucks.
    Keep that up and you'll get a can of Rebellion Amber thrown at your face.
    Last edited by Masark; 2021-02-05 at 03:43 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force Kellhound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Keep that up and you'll get a can of Rebellion Amber thrown at your face.
    I did enjoy Canadian beer in my youth when us "underage" guys would hit Vancouver night clubs. Fun times, fun times.
    Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    "His knowledge on that topic is only power point deep..." "Power corrupts and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Never mention the beer sucks.
    I'm a fan of Maudite... but that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1357398773782237186

FUCK YOU, AUSTERITY NEOLIBERAL BIDEN!

Wait...he's reviewing executive authority on student loan forgiveness (up to $10K at least)? And signaling approval for legislation forgiving student loan debts?

Have we been lied to?
    The criticism I remember progressive having about Biden's position was the fact it wasn't wiping it out but forgiving it to a certain amount
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

$15 min wage increase goes into the bill

Adopted, 51-50: S.Con.Res.5, Sanders Budget Resolution, as amended, with the VP voting in the affirmative.

Kamala looks pretty boss casting the final vote. I could (and have to) get used to this.

In more let’s attack “the left” news

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/b...-stimulus.html

Nyt claims all issues are the lefts fault with a title of “the lefts vaccine problem” fairness and balance! I'm convinced the writer is an idiot:

Giving vaccines based on age is extremely simple to execute. And it's not perfect on equity, but it's very good.

One example: Poorer 70-year-olds are more vulnerable to Covid than richer 70-year-olds. Vaccinate all 70 y.o.'s, and you disproportionately help the poorer ones.
    Ignores the fact the poorer 70-year-olds may not have access to get around and therefore less likely to get the vaccine.

He then goes on to applauded Alaskas, Dakotas, Oklahoma, and West Virginia while chastising New York...
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-02-05 at 02:25 PM.
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentGreymane View Post

Adopted, 51-50: S.Con.Res.5, Sanders Budget Resolution, as amended, with the VP voting in the affirmative.

Kamala looks pretty boss casting the final vote. I could (and have to) get used to this.
    Waking up to that news put a big ass smile on my face.

I'm 100% ok with getting use to this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Yeah, pretty fucking awesome scene. And just like that, the Democrats are out of the gate with a YUGE win.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Why does the GOP hate America?
    They don't hate America, they hate poor people. Many of them truly believe that if you're poor it's a sign you're a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Waking up to that news put a big ass smile on my face.

I'm 100% ok with getting use to this.
    Agreed. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Imo, healthcare will be the toughest of the three pillars for the Dems to pass. Infrastructure hopefully will be relatively smooth sailing, as all states win. I'm sure the wheeling and dealing will be magnificent, but in the end, I see it passing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They don't hate America, they hate poor people. Many of them truly believe that if you're poor it's a sign you're a bad person.
    Or you've done something wrong you need to fix yourself. So many people do not realize that this is exactly how the GOP feels about poor people (your statement more than mine, both imo, but I'm not trying to capture your statement and assume mine for your point). The GOP believes that if you don't have a job, just go out and get one - anyone can pick up a $150k/yr job, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Or that you come from a "bad family". There's so much fatalism in conservatism.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yeah, pretty fucking awesome scene. And just like that, the Democrats are out of the gate with a YUGE win.
    Not too much of a surprise. They've been talking about this plan since Jan. 6. It's more a matter of people listening to the Dems themselves. Or getting secondhand opinions from a wormbrain on twitter. Or Jeff Stein just making up quotes.

Theoretically they're limited to 2-3 reconciliation actions per year. So it's an interesting question where healthcare fits into this.

Also, expect a dumb online fight over "healthcare expansion". Very Online people demanding M4A represent a small faction IRL. But will cry the most.
    With a slim 51-50 vote, it's more realistic to either see a Medicaid expansion as part of ongoing Covid relief. Which is less sexy for middle class twitters. But simply gets more people covered.
    If we're really lucky we get a Medicare buy in (public option), which could be styled as more budget neutral and win over the marginal Dems.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2021-02-05 at 05:33 PM.

The GOP believes that if you don't have a job, just go out and get one - anyone can pick up a $150k/yr job, right?
    Put on your job helmet and squeeze into the job cannon...

Pull on these while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

Not too much of a surprise. They've been talking about this plan since Jan. 6. It's more a matter of people listening to the Dems themselves. Or getting secondhand opinions from a wormbrain on twitter. Or Jeff Stein just making up quotes.

Theoretically they're limited to 2-3 reconciliation actions per year. So it's an interesting question where healthcare fits into this.

Also, expect a dumb online fight over "healthcare expansion". Very Online people demanding M4A represent a small faction IRL. But will cry the most.
    With a slim 51-50 vote, it's more realistic to either see a Medicaid expansion as part of ongoing Covid relief. Which is less sexy for middle class twitters. But simply gets more people covered.
    If we're really lucky we get a Medicare buy in (public option), which could be styled as more budget neutral and win over the marginal Dems.
    I was surprised how quickly Manchin got in line though - in a good way. People were talking about him blocking everything, but so far those very online people are 0-1. I'm sure there was some horse trading and perhaps he got some concessions, but it sure went through pretty quickly.

Agreed re M4A and a long-shot hope of a buy-in option. Who knows though - the GOP is currently imploding and the fucking GOP-Lite just came out with that Child Payment (Romney).

- - - Updated - - -

Ha!

You know, when Infrastructure actually comes up, Manchin could go nuts with his "asks" and get a fully funded jobs retraining program for coal workers transitioning to solar and wind turbine farms. Drone piloting is a not-insignificant piece of wind turbine maintenance - that would be the "cool" thing to push.

Holy fuck - I'm actually excited about our country again. I don't know what to do with myself.

lol saw that mayor pete thing, i can only ever think of this when i see him

You know, when Infrastructure actually comes up, Manchin could go nuts with his "asks" and get a fully funded jobs retraining program for coal workers transitioning to solar and wind turbine farms.
    That sounds like Killary talk. In seriousness though, I would look forward to it and only hope that it can have actual voter buy in and support.