Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I've always thought it was silly that these big oil companies did not, themselves, simply branch out into green energy so that they could one day transition with minimal fuss and still make gobs of money.
    IIRC some have started to as they're slowly realizing that their core business is both increasingly a longterm financial liability, and a PR nightmare in the immediate.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Even if you go from that direction I think best way to reduce emissions is to mandate (or at least promote) longevity of customer goods.

10+ year (or lifetime) warranty on phones, TV, refrigerators, computers etc - and mandated full repair capability.

That can also cut down on waste; two birds with one stone.

Obviously it'll also destroy modern economy that is based on constant replacement... but i'm certain we'll be better off that way.
    Given that would harm many tech firms, it'll never come out of the DNC or get passed Kamala Harris and her dementia riddled sock puppet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Given that would harm many tech firms, it'll never come out of the DNC or get passed Kamala Harris and her dementia riddled sock puppet.
    That's nice dear, did the Daily Mail slap you with a DMCA strike for overuse of the word "austerity" if this is the level of criticism you've resorted to? Lol. The main resistance to actionable reform climate change is legislative, not executive.

Why don't you find a valid reason to criticise like, say, the administration switching from kids in cages to Kages4Kids™ rather than this nonsense.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-24 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Beyond retarded? Lol.

Ok, we can pretend consumer demand and backlash has never once changed production practices I guess. We can also pretend sanctions change China all the time.

The problem is, if we do that much pretending why stop there?
    The government in China subsidizes heavy polluting industry thats the point. Consumer changes are dumb

Would sanctioning China do anything to accelerate her climate change initiatives?? NO. But it would at least provide funds to do something in the US or abroad

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I've always thought it was silly that these big oil companies did not, themselves, simply branch out into green energy so that they could one day transition with minimal fuss and still make gobs of money.
    They absolutely have, Exxon Mobil drops several billion a year into R&D and infrastructure development for green energy. They are well aware that petrochemicals days are numbered. However, financially they need to run out the clock as far as they can, to maximize the value of their current holdings. Things like refineries and oil reserve contracts are intended to provide returns over decades, so they have a staggering amount of capital sunk into those things, and they would like their money back before they have to close them. "Minimal fuss" isn't really achievable in this context, so they are playing a delaying game, to squeeze every last penny out of the assets before they have to close them down.

Not defending them of course, that is just the financial situation they are in.

10+ Year Old Account
    "BiDeN hAs DeMeNtIa"

Stop looking in the mirror and lay off the OANN and Stormfront sweetheart, it's clearly rotting your own brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    They absolutely have, Exxon Mobil drops several billion a year into R&D and infrastructure development for green energy. They are well aware that petrochemicals days are numbered. However, financially they need to run out the clock as far as they can, to maximize the value of their current holdings. Things like refineries and oil reserve contracts are intended to provide returns over decades, so they have a staggering amount of capital sunk into those things, and they would like their money back before they have to close them. "Minimal fuss" isn't really achievable in this context, so they are playing a delaying game, to squeeze every last penny out of the assets before they have to close them down.

Not defending them of course, that is just the financial situation they are in.
    Yep. All the so called majors (Exxon, Chevron, BP, Conoco Phillips, Royal Dutch) are heavy into green energy, carbon capture, renewable, biomass, geothermal, etc. The issue is what to do with the small mom & pop small and mid-size oil companies. Those are the biggest polluters right now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And you wonder why people call you out for supporting the GOP. Do you ever get any information from reliable sources? Or is it all OAN and Q?
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    "BiDeN hAs DeMeNtIa"

Stop looking in the mirror and lay off the OANN and Stormfront sweetheart, it's clearly rotting your own brain.
    I don't have a television, I watch The Hill and read a few sources, but I do love the accusation.

Any person not a shameless sycophant for a political party would ask the same question.

I get for you two a "Reliable Source" is Joe Biden's campaign website, DNC press releases and maybe if you are feeling adventurous things Obama tweets.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a television, I watch The Hill and read a few sources
    I'm sure it's really hard to watch things nowadays without a television. I mean, I don't even pay for cable, and haven't seen a moving picture since!

Also "a few sources" lol. At least you're ashamed enough to not want naming them.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure it's really hard to watch things nowadays without a television. I mean, I don't even pay for cable, and haven't seen a moving picture since!

Also "a few sources" lol. At least you're ashamed enough to not want naming them.
    A few is essentially if an article catches my eye, I don't have any other "OH! I check them", I'll read anything that is interesting. But I've yet to run across a OANN anything in my entire life.

So, you know, the Hill, and then anything friends send me which varies from CNN, RT, Al-Jezeera so i guess to see what various States want people to think and then the more obscure sources of interesting stuff like WSWS (A trotskyist website) and then sometimes Jacobin or The Bellows or Twinkrev for like overtly political but I know what their stance is kinda stuff.

Federal judge rules California can enforce its net neutrality law

California can enforce its landmark net neutrality law after a federal judge ruled Tuesday against a group of broadband providers seeking to block it.

The state passed the stringent regulations in 2018 after the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rolled back the Obama-era rule prohibiting service providers from selectively discriminating against online traffic.

The state law -- SB 822 -- had also been challenged by the Trump administration, which argued that states do not have authority to set net neutrality rules.

The Biden administration dropped that legal challenge earlier this month, leaving the court case by telecommunications industry trade groups as the last roadblock to the bill's implementation.

The Biden administration has been under pressure to re-establish the Obama-era rules. However, with the FCC deadlocked at 2-2, action on that front is unlikely until Democrats can get a nominee through the Senate later this year.

Go go Sacramento.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few is essentially if an article catches my eye, I don't have any other "OH! I check them", I'll read anything that is interesting. But I've yet to run across a OANN anything in my entire life.

So, you know, the Hill, and then anything friends send me which varies from CNN, RT, Al-Jezeera so i guess to see what various States want people to think and then the more obscure sources of interesting stuff like WSWS (A trotskyist website) and then sometimes Jacobin or The Bellows or Twinkrev for like overtly political but I know what their stance is kinda stuff.
    Very odd, I've never seen any of your named sources promote the "Biden is senile" conspiracy. Or any of your other insane nonsense you constantly push.

Maybe CNN and Al-Jezeera have taken an insane right-wing turn since I last got to watch them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You haven’t seen the rising? Theo repeats them almost verbatim...

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You haven’t seen the rising?
    I need to give them a watch again, but I've literally never been remotely impressed with those two know-nothing populists cosplaying some kind of weird Diet-Rite, offbrand Crossfire.

I mean, neither one of them wears a stupid fuckin bow-tie to complete the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Gas went up 20%, The stock market is completely flat, Texas has went through Armageddon because of 3 inches of snow, thousands of jobs have been lost through executive action on Pipeline, and Unions have already turned their back on Joe and friends, nobody is getting the Promised $2000, student loan bill will never happen.

It's been 1 month.
    Gas prices are about the same as they were this month last year. You know before the lockdown and pandemic that cause them to drop to where the price of a barrel of oil was negative? Wait! Do you mean that since the lockdown that drove prices of oil/gas way down due to low demand has been lifting in much of the US and demand is coming back up prices are coming back to where they would be without the lockdowns?

Maybe we should just lock the country down again so that gas prices drop again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Maybe we should just lock the country down again so that gas prices drop again?
    I am just 4 weeks from it being one fuel up for an entire year... I had to google oil prices earlier in the thread, because I have no clue...

Not even at half... I’ll make it ‘till summer until next one.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    The government in China subsidizes heavy polluting industry thats the point. Consumer changes are dumb

Would sanctioning China do anything to accelerate her climate change initiatives?? NO. But it would at least provide funds to do something in the US or abroad
    My point was and is, nothing will change anywhere until it changes here in the US. China won't change, until its important to the US and the US shows how important is to us by letting our purchases do the talking. That will not happen until the US conservatives stop acting like this is made up problem.

Or we could sanction China as you say and still do nothing with all that extra money because half the US doesn't believe in climate change, while China keeps polluting.

You know, either or.........sigh.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, it should be gratifying that after years of military dudebros trying to defend it that the Air Force has admitted the F-35 program is a failure.

But really all I can think of is the fact the money wasted on this nonsense could have been used for literally anything else. I also don't agree that it was a failure, because it was actually very successful at what it was truly intended to do - be a massive piece of pork spending to create a "stair to nowhere" jobs program to enrich defense contractors and keep Congressional constituents happy.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-24 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You know, it should be gratifying that after years of military dudebros trying to defend it that the Air Force has admitted the F-35 program is a failure.

But really all I can think of is the fact the money wasted on this nonsense could have been used for literally anything else. I also don't agree that it was a failure, because it was actually very successful at what it was truly intended to do - be a massive piece of pork spending to create a "stair to nowhere" jobs program to enrich defense contractors and keep Congressional constituents happy.
    Of course it failed, the invisibility systems didn't work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You haven’t seen the rising? Theo repeats them almost verbatim...

What's annoying is that Krystal Ball is hot AF.