1. #4041
    Legendary! Thekri's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    6,167
    This really should have gotten a lot more attention then it did. The fact it didn't even make a ripple in the news cycle when it came out is a big part of the problem. When the military commits atrocities, it is a huge news story, because there is some accountability there. But due to the gross history of the CIA and other executive agencies, everyone just sort of expects they are constantly committing atrocities, and everyone is mostly fine with it.

    Unfortunately, I believe everything in the Intercept's article here, it is excellent journalism, and undoubtedly true. Gina Haspel was sworn in as CIA director in May 2018, and these raids allegedly began in December of the same year. That is not a coincidence, Gina Haspel is a fucking monster that is a wanted War Criminal in 3/4s of the planet, and Trump knew that when he appointed her, and the Senate knew it when they confirmed her. She has a 20+ year track record of approving murder, torture, and all manner of disgusting activities. The CIA has reached such a meme level of evil that everyone just expects it out of them, and this doesn't even hit the news cycle.

    To me, the real underlying issue is the lack of accountability in ALL the executive branch departments. That includes CIA, FBI, ICE, Homeland Security, the whole lot of them. Congress is supposed to provide oversight, but it fucking doesn't, and never has. Sometimes they commit atrocities, and we just replace them with the next administrations people and never look back. We desperately need a fundamental overhaul of these organizations, because throwing kids into cages and gunning down kids in Afghan madrassas are just things that these agencies can do, without fear of any actual consequences.

  2. #4042
    Like...fuckin ignore the parliamentarian, or have them resign. Like Republicans do.

    Americans very much seem to care about results, not process. They don't give a shit if the i's and lower case j's aren't dotted, if the t's aren't crossed or if there are notes scribbled in the margins.

    They care about results. Get them results, and then make Republicans have to sell a repeal of the minimum wage hike to their constituents at town halls like they tried to sell repealing the ACA.

  3. #4043
    Banned JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    28,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And your hate boner for half of the dems in thhe Senate will only cost votes and time.
    I had no idea this forum had this sort of infleunce.

  4. #4044
    What's the point of playing by the rules when we know the Republicans never will (and also never face consequences from it - in fact, quite the opposite!)?

  5. #4045
    Banned JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    28,394
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    What's the point of playing by the rules when we know the Republicans never will (and also never face consequences from it - in fact, quite the opposite!)?
    Its just an excuse to oppose certain policy ideas.

  6. #4046
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    What's the point of playing by the rules when we know the Republicans never will (and also never face consequences from it - in fact, quite the opposite!)?
    Don't make the mistake of thinking it is a rule though.

    It isn't a rule, it is an advisory opinion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Like...fuckin ignore the parliamentarian, or have them resign. Like Republicans do.

    Americans very much seem to care about results, not process. They don't give a shit if the i's and lower case j's aren't dotted, if the t's aren't crossed or if there are notes scribbled in the margins.

    They care about results. Get them results, and then make Republicans have to sell a repeal of the minimum wage hike to their constituents at town halls like they tried to sell repealing the ACA.
    Well... you're making the mistake of assuming the democrats by and large want to pass higher minimum wages. Remember that most of our lawmakers at the end of the day are wealthy millionaires and plenty of business owners.

    Appear progressive by backing it, and then just throw up your hands and say "aw damn can't do it, because the advisory opinion says we can't. I mean... it's just an advisory opinion from an unelected bureaucrat and we could overrule or remove the person but... nah we won't.

    2022 midterms vote for us! We really wanted to give you $15 minimum wage but the parliamentarian!!
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-02-26 at 06:25 PM.

  7. #4047
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    This really should have gotten a lot more attention then it did. The fact it didn't even make a ripple in the news cycle when it came out is a big part of the problem. When the military commits atrocities, it is a huge news story, because there is some accountability there. But due to the gross history of the CIA and other executive agencies, everyone just sort of expects they are constantly committing atrocities, and everyone is mostly fine with it.

    Unfortunately, I believe everything in the Intercept's article here, it is excellent journalism, and undoubtedly true. Gina Haspel was sworn in as CIA director in May 2018, and these raids allegedly began in December of the same year. That is not a coincidence, Gina Haspel is a fucking monster that is a wanted War Criminal in 3/4s of the planet, and Trump knew that when he appointed her, and the Senate knew it when they confirmed her. She has a 20+ year track record of approving murder, torture, and all manner of disgusting activities. The CIA has reached such a meme level of evil that everyone just expects it out of them, and this doesn't even hit the news cycle.

    To me, the real underlying issue is the lack of accountability in ALL the executive branch departments. That includes CIA, FBI, ICE, Homeland Security, the whole lot of them. Congress is supposed to provide oversight, but it fucking doesn't, and never has. Sometimes they commit atrocities, and we just replace them with the next administrations people and never look back. We desperately need a fundamental overhaul of these organizations, because throwing kids into cages and gunning down kids in Afghan madrassas are just things that these agencies can do, without fear of any actual consequences.
    I was going to discuss

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/minim...201411243.html

    Meanwhile, Sen. Josh Hawley (R., Mo.) proposed an alternative bill on Friday to require companies with revenues of $1 billion or more to pay workers $15 an hour.
    and point out that republicans are being guilted into finding some way to have some minimum wage increase.

    However, I bolded your entire statement because it is important. If we want to ever become a leader of the free world again, or even a country that is respected world wide rather than just feared, then we have to stop these atrocities. Thank you for posting this.

  8. #4048
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    24,166
    America is Back baby! We bombing Syria just as before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

  9. #4049
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    America is Back baby! We bombing Syria just as before.

    It didn't bother you when Trump was doing this shit in Yemen.

  10. #4050
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Don't make the mistake of thinking it is a rule though.

    It isn't a rule, it is an advisory opinion.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Well... you're making the mistake of assuming the democrats by and large want to pass higher minimum wages. Remember that most of our lawmakers at the end of the day are wealthy millionaires and plenty of business owners.

    Appear progressive by backing it, and then just throw up your hands and say "aw damn can't do it, because the advisory opinion says we can't. I mean... it's just an advisory opinion from an unelected bureaucrat and we could overrule or remove the person but... nah we won't.

    2022 midterms vote for us! We really wanted to give you $15 minimum wage but the parliamentarian!!
    Thats what confuses me. Doesn't all evidence point towards higher minimum wages being better for EVERYONE including the super rich? And that keeping it low is only hurting everyone, super rich included?
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

  11. #4051
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Thats what confuses me. Doesn't all evidence point towards higher minimum wages being better for EVERYONE including the super rich? And that keeping it low is only hurting everyone, super rich included?
    Yes everything you said is completely true. It also strengthens the US in the battle against China. Higher wages means bigger domestic market means more imports means more leverage around the world.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It didn't bother you when Trump was doing this shit in Yemen.
    What Trump did in Yemen sucked, and what Biden did in Syria sucked. What Trump did in Yemen was worse because it did substantially more damage and was sustained over a longer period of time.

  12. #4052
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    24,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    What Trump did in Yemen sucked, and what Biden did in Syria sucked. What Trump did in Yemen was worse because it did substantially more damage and was sustained over a longer period of time.
    Biden has only been in about a month, give him time. He will drone it up just like Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

  13. #4053
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Biden has only been in about a month, give him time. He will drone it up just like Obama.
    This is likely to be true. But let's just deal with the stuff that has actually happened.

    From what I can tell, the military type leaders are anxious to increase US military involvement all over the world. All we can do is try and push back as hard as possible. But they have the power to make it happen. I doubt that Biden will do any better in pushing back than any other President over the last 20 years.

    One thing I will Trump some credit for: he really did make an effort to try to push back against this. He was not really successful at it, but at least he tried.

  14. #4054
    Over 9000! Milchshake's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shitposter Burn Out
    Posts
    9,928
    Who chants "Dems Losing 2020" more?
    • Very Online Leftists and Podcasters
    • The crowd at CPAC

    Pack it in libs, we've lost the Working MAn vote. Also people that paid scalper prices for PS5s and were counting on $2k checks (cheques for the brit stans).





    See also: "Bide has DemeneTiA", did it start first on Fox news or TYT?

  15. #4055
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Yes everything you said is completely true. It also strengthens the US in the battle against China. Higher wages means bigger domestic market means more imports means more leverage around the world.

    - - - Updated - - -



    What Trump did in Yemen sucked, and what Biden did in Syria sucked. What Trump did in Yemen was worse because it did substantially more damage and was sustained over a longer period of time.
    Biden is only continuing what Trump did in Yemen though so... idk if he's really "worse" at this point or they're both the same on this particular issue.

  16. #4056
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    One thing I will Trump some credit for: he really did make an effort to try to push back against this. He was not really successful at it, but at least he tried.
    Trump increased bombing and arm sales after Obama. If Trump didn’t pull out of Iran peace treaty, neither the attack on US troops nor this retaliation would happen. What Trump succeeded in, is making people ignore US military bombings for 4 years.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  17. #4057
    The Insane Underverse's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Underverse
    Posts
    16,333
    I'm not really sure why people are up in arms about drone striking some Iran-backed militias that are fighting for a theocratic Iranian regional hegemony, and as retaliation for their missile strikes no less. What's the alternative? Leave the region be, let Iran occupy Iraq and Syria with Russia's blessing, and allow China/Iran/Russia to consolidate into a second iron curtain? That somehow seems a little bit worse. America can't ignore its oversees interests in an interconnected world while other countries have no reservations about playing the same dangerous geopolitical games.

  18. #4058
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    I'm not really sure why people are up in arms about drone striking some Iran-backed militias that are fighting for a theocratic Iranian regional hegemony, and as retaliation for their missile strikes no less. What's the alternative? Leave the region be, let Iran occupy Iraq and Syria with Russia's blessing, and allow China/Iran/Russia to consolidate into a second iron curtain? That somehow seems a little bit worse. America can't ignore its oversees interests in an interconnected world while other countries have no reservations about playing the same dangerous geopolitical games.
    Because people are sick of America World Police and this is an international forum. This case being justified or not is irrelevant...

    If nothing else... if a democrat in office brings attention back to US military strikes, that’s a good thing. Just don’t ‘boy who cried wolf’ this thing...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  19. #4059
    Banned JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    28,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    I'm not really sure why people are up in arms about drone striking some Iran-backed militias that are fighting for a theocratic Iranian regional hegemony, and as retaliation for their missile strikes no less. What's the alternative? Leave the region be, let Iran occupy Iraq and Syria with Russia's blessing, and allow China/Iran/Russia to consolidate into a second iron curtain? That somehow seems a little bit worse. America can't ignore its oversees interests in an interconnected world while other countries have no reservations about playing the same dangerous geopolitical games.
    Lets just forgot how often innocent men and woman die.

    And yes, the US won't ignore it, does not mean they are any better than the countries(Russia, Iran, China) they pretend to oppose.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It didn't bother you when Trump was doing this shit in Yemen.
    And it does not bother you when Biden does it.

  20. #4060
    Banned JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    28,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Who chants "Dems Losing 2020" more?
    • Very Online Leftists and Podcasters
    • The crowd at CPAC

    Pack it in libs, we've lost the Working MAn vote. Also people that paid scalper prices for PS5s and were counting on $2k checks (cheques for the brit stans).





    See also: "Bide has DemeneTiA", did it start first on Fox news or TYT?
    Still shitting on leftists for opposing war and actually wanting anything that benefits the lower classes, never change.



    No, really, you should never change, its a great source of entertainment. Keep complaining about people being very online while mostly using lingo that only those sort of people understand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •