1. #4681
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Because they want to use it against the opposition or themselves when it suits them
    @Elegiac already answered, but...this isn't an answer. I'm pretty sure that the votes put forth by the Senate majority leader, on issues brought by their own party, "suit them". And yet, the nuclear option isn't being used here. It wasn't used dozens of times last year. It wasn't used on the tax cut for the rich either, and considering how big of a deal that was, I would definitely say that "suits them".

  2. #4682
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    @Elegiac already answered, but...this isn't an answer. I'm pretty sure that the votes put forth by the Senate majority leader, on issues brought by their own party, "suit them". And yet, the nuclear option isn't being used here. It wasn't used dozens of times last year. It wasn't used on the tax cut for the rich either, and considering how big of a deal that was, I would definitely say that "suits them".
    Because they found workarounds and didn't need to use it including the last minutes additions to the bill that went around the suggestion. Democrats are not overriding this because of Manchin and Sinema who won't vote for the minimum wage increase that's an internal issue nothing to do with the rules. Your point is moot they have gone around it several times when they wanted to if it wasn't possible republicans wouldn't have done.

    When are you going to learn there are no rules only what you can get away with again most of the rules you are elevating in the senate have zero penalties and the senate can override it's own rules. The senate is frankly a rather stupid institution in most cases they are the only ones that can hold themselves accountable.

  3. #4683
    Honestly, what's the endgame here....to just always play by the rules while Repubs never do and hope against hope the Repubs don't find new ways to ratfuck elections, but if they do at least we can sit back in a bunker somewhere with a reassured smile that we didn't override the the parliamentarian, while the Conservative Jackboots go door to door?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  4. #4684
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Because they found workarounds and didn't need to use.
    Now that's more like it. Thank you.

  5. #4685
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Honestly, what's the endgame here....to just always play by the rules while Repubs never do and hope against hope the Repubs don't find new ways to ratfuck elections, but if they do at least we can sit back in a bunker somewhere with a reassured smile that we didn't override the the parliamentarian, while the Conservative Jackboots go door to door?
    Let's hope the voting rights bill doesn't run into this and democrats get rid of the filibuster, congress is on high alert because of a domestic terrorist threat. This is not a game we are heading down a very dark path with republicans guaranteed to regain power in 2022 and 2024 if they aren't stopped.

  6. #4686
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    congress is on high alert because of a domestic terrorist threat
    House Session Abruptly Canceled After Domestic Terror Threat Warnings

    The development comes after the Capitol Police put out a statement Wednesday warning of “intelligence that shows a possible plot to to breach the Capitol” by an “identified militia group” on Thursday.

    The FBI and Department of Homeland Security put out a separate bulletin about an “unidentified group of [militia violent extremists]” who “discussed plans to take control of the US Capitol and remove Democratic lawmakers” on Thursday, according to Politico and the NBC News.

    The Capitol Police noted it has made “significant security upgrades” to the Capitol, including “establishing a physical structure and increasing manpower,” and said it is taking the intelligence “seriously.”

    Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) said in a statement he was briefed by the Capitol Police about “additional interest in the Capitol for the dates of March 4th – 6th by a militia group” and “the potential for protests and demonstration activity.” Ryan added that he was “pleased” with the security measures undertaken by the Capitol Police.
    Obviously, I hope there's no violence. One insurrection/lifetime is plenty, thanks.

    But just a reminder to all: this was not called because of Antifa. This was called because of Trump supporters.

  7. #4687
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    House Session Abruptly Canceled After Domestic Terror Threat Warnings



    Obviously, I hope there's no violence. One insurrection/lifetime is plenty, thanks.

    But just a reminder to all: this was not called because of Antifa. This was called because of Trump supporters.
    Like @ Bodakane said we can at least feel good about following the rules when the fascists and terrorists take over.

  8. #4688
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Like @ Bodakane said we can at least feel good about following the rules when the fascists and terrorists take over.
    To be fair... following the rules is an important trait for personal survival under fascism...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  9. #4689
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    To be fair... following the rules is an important trait for personal survival under fascism...
    Not really Jews, minorities and LGBTQ people didn't violate any rules aside from existing. As someone who has lived under a brutal dictatorship I will tell you there are no rules just whatever the dear leader is in the mood for that day.

  10. #4690
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Not really Jews, minorities and LGBTQ people didn't violate any rules aside from existing. As someone who has lived under a brutal dictatorship I will tell you there are no rules just whatever the dear leader is in the mood for that day.
    How is being a minority, following the rules?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  11. #4691
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    How is being a minority, following the rules?
    lol good point.

  12. #4692
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    21,930
    Is Trump President yet, or has the date been pushed back again?

  13. #4693
    this Douchebag gonna make them spend 10 hours reading every single word of this 600 page bill.

  14. #4694
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,962
    Multiple GOP AGs are claiming the voting rights bill is unConstitutional.

    Specifically, they say it would "rode faith in our elections and systems of governance".

    So first of all, expect challenges. Second of all, I expect these same AGs to publicly condemn the objectively false conspiracy theories Team Trump was spreading. Any day now. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany day now.

  15. #4695
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    34,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Multiple GOP AGs are claiming the voting rights bill is unConstitutional.

    Specifically, they say it would "rode faith in our elections and systems of governance".

    So first of all, expect challenges. Second of all, I expect these same AGs to publicly condemn the objectively false conspiracy theories Team Trump was spreading. Any day now. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany day now.
    SCOTUS is about to peel back even more voting rights in the AZ case. This is part of the GOP's long game, if you can't get the votes, and you can't pass legitimate laws, pack the courts so they will rule in your favor.

  16. #4696
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Multiple GOP AGs are claiming the voting rights bill is unConstitutional.

    Specifically, they say it would "rode faith in our elections and systems of governance".

    So first of all, expect challenges. Second of all, I expect these same AGs to publicly condemn the objectively false conspiracy theories Team Trump was spreading. Any day now. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany day now.
    If only there wasn't a filibuster... then we could get voting rights....

  17. #4697
    Old God Milchshake's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shitposter Burn Out
    Posts
    10,026
    House Dems just passed the most important democracy reform bill since the 1965 Voting Rights Act!

    HR 1:


  18. #4698
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    House Dems just passed the most important democracy reform bill since the 1965 Voting Rights Act!

    HR 1:

    Just want to reiterate, too, that federal law supersedes State law, where federal law goes further. So States can't undercut this stuff by writing their own laws permitting such; those laws just get overruled by the federal standards. State law can be more protective than federal, but it can't be less; if it tries to do so, federal law takes over.


  19. #4699
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    House Dems just passed the most important democracy reform bill since the 1965 Voting Rights Act!
    Now kill the filibuster and do it again in the Senate!

  20. #4700
    Pandaren Monk masterhorus8's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just want to reiterate, too, that federal law supersedes State law, where federal law goes further. So States can't undercut this stuff by writing their own laws permitting such; those laws just get overruled by the federal standards. State law can be more protective than federal, but it can't be less; if it tries to do so, federal law takes over.
    Sadly, we all know who the usual suspects are that'll say that this is unconstitutional.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •