1. #5061
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Based on latest tax return on file. So if you received a pay raise or capital gain that will disqualify you, don't file until April.
    But if I haven't filed this year yet - even if I did it now, electronically, wouldn't it be too late.

  2. #5062
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But if I haven't filed this year yet - even if I did it now, electronically, wouldn't it be too late.
    No, they haven't started processing payments and when they do so they'll use your most recent return on file. If you put one on file today electronically guess what return is the most recent they have on file.

  3. #5063
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, they haven't started processing payments and when they do so they'll use your most recent return on file. If you put one on file today electronically guess what return is the most recent they have on file.
    I was taking into consideration the processing time - I don't want to assume the IRS is going to be either quick or efficient.

  4. #5064
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    both are instances of the nuclear option being used (overruling Parliamentarian objections)
    I was under the impression the nuclear option was about the filibuster, not the parliamentarian. I'm going to need more info about, say, the 2013 one.

  5. #5065
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I was taking into consideration the processing time - I don't want to assume the IRS is going to be either quick or efficient.
    I don't think anybody said anything about your most recently processed tax return, just the most recent one they have on file.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I was under the impression the nuclear option was about the filibuster, not the parliamentarian. I'm going to need more info about, say, the 2013 one.
    The nuclear option has been used with regards to the filibuster most recently, but it's about ALL senatorial rules(what the parliamentarian rules on). All it takes is a simple majority to change them. In 2013 the Dems changed it so that confirmation of nominees(other than SCOTUS) only required a simple majority as opposed to the 60 votes previously. In 2017 the GOP struck back and said, "Yeah, SCOTUS too!" and then packed the courts.

  6. #5066
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not sure why you reply to him... but, there is a difference between being in dire need and not being in dire need, but not being so rich that you would return a 1400 check.
    I don't care who posted it.

    I assume the individual will know where they fall on that scale, that I didn't think I'd need to explicitly lay it out as if people were too stupid to figure that out for themselves.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  7. #5067
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not sure why you reply to him... but, there is a difference between being in dire need and not being in dire need, but not being so rich that you would return a 1400 check.
    Some podcasters are hella mad, because their monthly Patreon checks are pushing them over the threshold by April.


    Their fans are coming here to let us know how upset they are about it!


    I'm so upset, Ima spend it all on Tax The Rich sweatshirts. Then I'll sew them together to make an edgy duvet cover.





  8. #5068
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don't think anybody said anything about your most recently processed tax return, just the most recent one they have on file.
    Good point - I hadn't considered the difference of those two status'. Thanks!

  9. #5069
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Good point - I hadn't considered the difference of those two status'. Thanks!
    No problem. It's a weird convolution of factors that can make figuring out this stimulus stuff difficult. Kinda like figuring out how to get vaccinated hehe.

  10. #5070
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    tiktok shit
    Man, I truly feel like I've 100% hit "old man shouting at clouds" age. The more and more I come into contact with tiktok shit, the more and more confused I am about the whole affair.

  11. #5071
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The nuclear option has been used with regards to the filibuster most recently, but it's about ALL senatorial rules(what the parliamentarian rules on). All it takes is a simple majority to change them. In 2013 the Dems changed it so that confirmation of nominees(other than SCOTUS) only required a simple majority as opposed to the 60 votes previously. In 2017 the GOP struck back and said, "Yeah, SCOTUS too!" and then packed the courts.
    Okay. Cool. That's still Senate Rule XX, and therefore a Senate rule. It was the rules, being applied. The parliamentarian did not object to either use of Rule XX, nor did Biden/Pence specifically step in.

    No such rule exists for just ignoring shoving a non-budget item into a budget bill. Unless Harris overrules the parliamentarian, which didn't happen, Schumer can't say "well the parliamenterian said we can't do it, but we're going to do it anyhow because we really want to". Which is the current context. It's why this discussion has gone on for nine pages or whatever.

  12. #5072
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They lowered the top of those receiving stimulus to 80k for single filers. Don’t everyone lose your shit at the same time... lol
    Is it still 80K payroll, or 80K take-home after taxes?

  13. #5073
    Remember that rule senate rule about confirming a sc justice? Remember when the rule was birthed? Then broken?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  14. #5074
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, I truly feel like I've 100% hit "old man shouting at clouds" age. The more and more I come into contact with tiktok shit, the more and more confused I am about the whole affair.
    I used to feel like that, but quar has given me a new appreciation for streamers. The tiktok stuff is interesting because you have the stuff like what you're responding to, but you also have a TON of other shit on there. I know someone who spends all their time watching medical tiktok(yeah, that's a thing) and it's actually pretty informative stuff on there. It's really not that different from any other social media platform. Hell, look at this site. There are people who never leave the WoW areas while others spend most of their time here in politics.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Remember that rule senate rule about confirming a sc justice? Remember when the rule was birthed? Then broken?
    Changed, not broken.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Okay. Cool. That's still Senate Rule XX, and therefore a Senate rule. It was the rules, being applied. The parliamentarian did not object to either use of Rule XX, nor did Biden/Pence specifically step in.

    No such rule exists for just ignoring shoving a non-budget item into a budget bill. Unless Harris overrules the parliamentarian, which didn't happen, Schumer can't say "well the parliamenterian said we can't do it, but we're going to do it anyhow because we really want to". Which is the current context. It's why this discussion has gone on for nine pages or whatever.
    The context is that Harris could overrule or the Senate as a whole could do so. The reason it wasn't taken up is Sinema and Manchin. If the Dems were monolithic like the GOP tends to be you'd have seen the nuclear option and $15 min wage passed this week. Sadly, we have some people who feel they have to cater to conservatives to get reelected so we're where we are. See, even if Harris overruled it wouldn't make a difference. The reason the VP doesn't typically do so is because they already know they have the 51 votes so they let the entire Senate take responsibility instead of doing so themselves(which would look worse in the history books).

  15. #5075
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Remember that rule senate rule about confirming a sc justice? Remember when the rule was birthed? Then broken?
    The Blue Slip rule? That some dum dum Senator from Vermont brought back, to handicap Obama judicial appointments?

  16. #5076
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Is it still 80K payroll, or 80K take-home after taxes?
    They said gross. So before taxes. Same like before. If they go by net income, it can go up pretty high. Between mortgage interest rate, health care/insurance, IRA, 401k, child care, HSA/FSA, SALT, etc., a couple making 250k can reduce their net income to below the 150k limit without too much effort.

  17. #5077
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    The Blue Slip rule? That some dum dum Senator from Vermont brought back, to handicap Obama judicial appointments?
    The blue slip rule doesn't have much to do with actually confirming a nominee. It's just opinions from the senators who represent the state the nominee is from. Now, changing the requirement from 60 to 51 votes on the other hand...

  18. #5078
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The context is that Harris could overrule or the Senate as a whole could do so.
    I am still waiting on proof that the Senate could do so. The nuclear option reduces the number of votes needed. It does not change other Senate rules.

    If the Senate can just overrule the parliamentarian, why have one? And why is this going on for nine pages or whatever, if Schumer could just say "the parliamentarian says we can't put non-budget items into budget bills, but we're going to anyhow because we really want to"? Why the drama? Why hasn't the bill gone forward anyhow? I continue to maintain that the reason Democrats are upset, and haven't pushed the bill with the minimum wage to a vote, is because they can't. And so far, no such move has happened.

    Harris, absolutely.

  19. #5079
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    57,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I'm so upset, Ima spend it all on Tax The Rich sweatshirts. Then I'll sew them together to make an edgy duvet cover.
    I thought her career nose dived, after she let it slip that she has a boy friend?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  20. #5080
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The March 14th deadline is self-imposed and not binding. If it takes an extra few days they can still pass it.
    The problem being states like WI if it lapses like the last time it means payouts get delayed for a month or more it is a non trivial issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •