1. #5081
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I am still waiting on proof that the Senate could do so. The nuclear option reduces the number of votes needed. It does not change other Senate rules.

    If the Senate can just overrule the parliamentarian, why have one? And why is this going on for nine pages or whatever, if Schumer could just say "the parliamentarian says we can't put non-budget items into budget bills, but we're going to anyhow because we really want to"? Why the drama? Why hasn't the bill gone forward anyhow? I continue to maintain that the reason Democrats are upset, and haven't pushed the bill with the minimum wage to a vote, is because they can't. And so far, no such move has happened.

    Harris, absolutely.
    The nuclear option is a parliamentary procedure that allows the United States Senate to override a standing rule of the Senate, such as the three-fifths vote rule to close debate, by a simple majority, rather than the two-thirds supermajority normally required to amend the rules. The option is invoked when the majority leader raises a point of order that contravenes a standing rule, such as that only a simple majority is needed to close debate on certain matters. The presiding officer denies the point of order based on Senate rules, but the ruling of the chair is then appealed and overturned by majority vote, establishing new precedent.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option

    There you go.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    The problem being states like WI if it lapses like the last time it means payouts get delayed for a month or more it is a non trivial issue.
    Yes. It would be bad if unemployment benefits were delayed. They still have beyond the 13th to pass it.

  2. #5082
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There you go.
    Hmm. Interesting. That's far more dangerous than every other time it's been mentioned has implied.

    Of course, the Nuclear Option is limited. Meaning, if they used it to overrule the parliamentarian, they could then not use it to, say, pass it with 50+Harris.

    Still, useful and interesting information. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm extra glad we don't have a 60/40 Senate and haven't for a while -- you could do a lot of damage by simply ignoring a rule once/boss pull.

  3. #5083
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Hmm. Interesting. That's far more dangerous than every other time it's been mentioned has implied.

    Of course, the Nuclear Option is limited. Meaning, if they used it to overrule the parliamentarian, they could then not use it to, say, pass it with 50+Harris.

    Still, useful and interesting information. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm extra glad we don't have a 60/40 Senate and haven't for a while -- you could do a lot of damage by simply ignoring a rule once/boss pull.
    Sorry, you got part of it wrong. A simple majority includes the VP vote if necessary.

  4. #5084
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Hmm. Interesting. That's far more dangerous than every other time it's been mentioned has implied.

    Of course, the Nuclear Option is limited. Meaning, if they used it to overrule the parliamentarian, they could then not use it to, say, pass it with 50+Harris.

    Still, useful and interesting information. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm extra glad we don't have a 60/40 Senate and haven't for a while -- you could do a lot of damage by simply ignoring a rule once/boss pull.
    Tt's a chicken/egg scenario.

    IF The parliamentarian cites rule 312, then it's 50 votes to overrule her.
    But if Harris decides to overrule the parliamentarian - then... McConnell calls a POO using Rule 312... requiring 60 votes to overrule.


    It's upsetting to see these NeoProgressives demanding that Harris act as their mule. Because they're to chicken shit and dont want the eventual blame for failing the 60 vote.

  5. #5085
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Tt's a chicken/egg scenario.

    IF The parliamentarian cites rule 312, then it's 50 votes to overrule her.
    But if Harris decides to overrule the parliamentarian - then... McConnell calls a POO using Rule 312... requiring 60 votes to overrule.


    It's upsetting to see these NeoProgressives demanding that Harris act as their mule. Because they're to chicken shit and dont want the eventual blame for failing the 60 vote.
    51 votes. Simple majority of 100 senators and 1 VP.

  6. #5086
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    The Blue Slip rule? That some dum dum Senator from Vermont brought back, to handicap Obama judicial appointments?
    The Blue Slip rule isn't actually a Senate rule. It's more of a traditional professional courtesy, which is why the Republicans happily ignored it without consequence when asked to observe it themselves.

  7. #5087
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I thought her career nose dived, after she let it slip that she has a boy friend?
    When you want to act out against your conservative husband, you cosplay as a leftist online.


    Unfortunately, thirsty BernieBros mistake this as genuine attention directed towards them.


    One way or another, I think this ends in a Restraining Order. Or more often catfished bois delete their MMOC accounts.

  8. #5088
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I thought her career nose dived, after she let it slip that she has a boy friend?
    Wait...is there political tiktok too? That sounds so much infinitely worse than political twitter, which is already a fucking cesspool of the hottest and spiciest garbage.

  9. #5089
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    57,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wait...is there political tiktok too? That sounds so much infinitely worse than political twitter, which is already a fucking cesspool of the hottest and spiciest garbage.
    It is... they dance to stop Trump...

    ‘Here is my interpretive dance, to show the need for M4A’
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  10. #5090
    So can anyone explain to me why, upon seeing marines, Biden said "salute the marines" instead of actually saluting them? Is it like when you want to /emote something in WoW but /say it instead?

  11. #5091
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,497
    Moderate Democrats demonstrate that "cruelty for crumbs" continues to be their guiding light as Biden and Senate Democrats agree on lower eligibility thresholds for the stimulus checks, because making sure help doesn't go to the 'wrong' people is really the most pressing issue we face apparently.

    Reminder that means testing has no proven benefit and just results in people who need aid getting it delayed or denied. "Trump sent you more money" will likely be seen as a true statement for a large number of voters (specifically around 12 million people who will be cut out of this latest round of stimulus) come 2022.

    This should have been an easy win.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-03-03 at 09:34 PM.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  12. #5092
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    So can anyone explain to me why, upon seeing marines, Biden said "salute the marines" instead of actually saluting them? Is it like when you want to /emote something in WoW but /say it instead?
    Are you talking about the video from a month ago that right-wingers are claiming he said "salute the marines" when reminded to salute them through an earpiece (which is also false) when he actually said "good looking marines"?

  13. #5093
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Moderate Democrats demonstrate that "cruelty for crumbs" continues to be their guiding light as Biden and Senate Democrats agree on lower eligibility thresholds for the stimulus checks, because making sure help doesn't go to the 'wrong' people is really the most pressing issue we face apparently.

    Reminder that means testing has no proven benefit and just results in people who need aid getting it delayed or denied. "Trump sent you more money" will likely be seen as a true statement for a large number of voters (specifically around 12 million people who will be cut out of this latest round of stimulus) come 2022.

    This should have been an easy win.
    Since this is paywall, It's people who are making $80,000-$100,000 income and would have gotten drastically smaller 1 time stimulus checks will now not get anything. Everything else is the same. idk, i'm not entirely outraged at this.

  14. #5094
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Since this is paywall, It's people who are making $80,000-$100,000 income and would have gotten drastically smaller 1 time stimulus checks will now not get anything. Everything else is the same. idk, i'm not entirely outraged at this.
    I think it's dumb, but if this is the concession they have to make to get the Republicans to agree to anything I think it's an acceptable loss.

  15. #5095
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,497
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Since this is paywall, It's people who are making $80,000-$100,000 income and would have gotten drastically smaller 1 time stimulus checks will now not get anything. Everything else is the same. idk, i'm not entirely outraged at this.
    Correction: Who were making 80,000-100,000 according to their 2019 tax returns. Because we all know people's financial situations have not changed since March 2020 at all. /s

    There are also 12 million of them and they all vote, so - remind me exactly what the gain here is by being stingy besides giving the GOP a free tagline in 2022 to the tune of "Trump gave you $600, Joe Biden doesn't think you're worth even that"?
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-03-03 at 10:08 PM.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  16. #5096
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Since this is paywall, It's people who are making $80,000-$100,000 income and would have gotten drastically smaller 1 time stimulus checks will now not get anything. Everything else is the same. idk, i'm not entirely outraged at this.
    These people vote.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  17. #5097
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,497
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think it's dumb, but if this is the concession they have to make to get the Republicans to agree to anything I think it's an acceptable loss.
    This isn't to please Republicans, it's to please particular Democrats.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  18. #5098
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Correction: Who were making 80,000-100,000 according to their 2019 tax returns. Because we all know people's financial situations have not changed since March 2020 at all. /s

    There are also 12 million of them and they all vote, so - remind me exactly what the gain here is by being stingy besides giving the GOP a free tagline in 2022 to the tune of "Trump gave you $600, Joe Biden doesn't think you're worth even that"?
    When you do your 2020 taxes that will set the value for your 2020 income and if you wind up being eligible you will get that money although it may take longer to get or have to wait for taxes to finish.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also note that the income levels listed are after you apply your AGI so the actual income levels covered can be a good bit higher.

  19. #5099
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,497
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    When you do your 2020 taxes that will set the value for your 2020 income and if you wind up being eligible you will get that money although it may take longer to get or have to wait for taxes to finish.
    Fuck all the people who did their taxes in February 2020 and lost their jobs in April, I guess?

    Again: What political or economic benefit is actually being purchased here by being stingy? Do y'all think the stimulus will magically not work if it's too broad, is that it? Lol.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  20. #5100
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    These people vote.
    yeah, they vote, and it's overall dumb, but this doesn't really make me that angry. like, if they decide to vote for the GQP because they lost a couple hundred dollars, they are shitty people.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •