1. #7341
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sena...n-biden-2021-4
    It appears the Republican "infrastructure proposal" is out. Not a bill, just a proposal, because I guess four years of "INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK" wasn't long enough.
    It's a paltry $568B seemingly over 5 years (lol $100B a year ain't shit). And they won't raise corporate taxes to pay for it, so how will they fund it?
    Sounds a lot like taxing the voters, including extensive targeting of lower/middle class workers who are more likely to be on the roadways more, especially as WFH for middle/upper class workers will continue. Why didn't Biden propose similar funding?
    Sounds very much in line with libertarian thought.

  2. #7342
    Herald of the Titans bladeXcrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.businessinsider.com/sena...n-biden-2021-4

    It appears the Republican "infrastructure proposal" is out. Not a bill, just a proposal, because I guess four years of "INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK" wasn't long enough.

    It's a paltry $568B seemingly over 5 years (lol $100B a year ain't shit). And they won't raise corporate taxes to pay for it, so how will they fund it?



    Sounds a lot like taxing the voters, including extensive targeting of lower/middle class workers who are more likely to be on the roadways more, especially as WFH for middle/upper class workers will continue. Why didn't Biden propose similar funding?



    This is some pathetic bullshit and a great example of how Republicans aren't making any remotely bipartisan efforts to work with Democrats, even as Biden pre-emptively compromises internally with moderate Democrats.
    Unfortunately, I'm sure those types of "service fees" are exactly what our "freedom and liberty" conservative forum users love and want.

  3. #7343
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,745
    The House just voted to make D.C. a state. The bill is virtually DOA in the Senate, however, as it will need 60 votes to pass.

  4. #7344
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And just to make it clear, to add to that: history has shown that there is no "vast" fraudulent voting. Before writing that post, I looked for Nevada arrests. I found one in 2012, one in 2004, and 15,187 unfounded conspiracies put forth by Team Trump that turned out to have no basis in fact.
    Oh yes I know, voter fraud is so mathematically insignificant that anyone who legitimately fears it, i.e. not Republican politicians because they just want to stop people from voting, should probably live in a hermetically sealed air tight bubble for the rest of their lives out of fear of what could happen.

  5. #7345
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Given that the decision was unanimous I have to assume it's because it was clear the law wasn't written to give them those powers--which means Congress should look into writing it.

    This doesn't really have anything to do with Biden or Harris, though.

  6. #7346
    Biden is reportedly thinking of nearly doubling the capital gains tax for the wealthiest individuals.

    I've been dabbling with some money in the market and took a hit with the flash crash, but I'm giggling like mad. The tantrum they threw because they might have to give up a little more more money is all the more reason to do it. Fuck, raise it to 60. 90. Make these fuckers cry like the spoiled children they are.

  7. #7347
    GOP Sen. Tim Scott to deliver GOP response to Biden address to Congress

    AKA the "I can't be racist, I have a black friend" response. Calling it now.

  8. #7348
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    GOP Sen. Tim Scott to deliver GOP response to Biden address to Congress

    AKA the "I can't be racist, I have a black friend" response. Calling it now.
    It will be a call for unity, not singling out justice for some. Basically, All Lives Mater... or they might go full Trump and talk about streets burning...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  9. #7349
    Immortal Milchshake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Your HEad, Rent Free
    Posts
    7,967
    Biden to propose raising taxes on wealthy and on capital gains to fund childcare.

    It's a not a surprise to anyways that actually listened to his campaign. And looked at the platform.
    • Taxes long-term capital gains and qualified dividends at the ordinary income tax rate of 39.6 percent on income above $1 million and eliminates step-up in basis for capital gains taxation.


    Again, Cosplay Leftists and the writers at Jacobin/Intercept kept pushing this strawman that; Biden wouldn't tax the rich & was bragging to his rich donors that "nothing would fundamentally change" for them.

    The 'nothing will fundamentally change' was 'you didn't build that' level dishonesty from the 'Cosplay Left.' It was literally saying the opposite of what they claimed; Biden telling rich donors that if taxes were raised for them, their lives would not be changed at all.

    But since 'the left' never met a smear or outright lie about Dems they didn't love, they made it into a central criticism of Biden. Because lying is good, as long as it furthers the cause of Park Slope Socialism...or something.

    This is some real levels of GME Poplisms Stonks.

  10. #7350
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Biden to propose raising taxes on wealthy and on capital gains to fund childcare.

    It's a not a surprise to anyways that actually listened to his campaign. And looked at the platform.
    • Taxes long-term capital gains and qualified dividends at the ordinary income tax rate of 39.6 percent on income above $1 million and eliminates step-up in basis for capital gains taxation.


    Again, Cosplay Leftists and the writers at Jacobin/Intercept kept pushing this strawman that; Biden wouldn't tax the rich & was bragging to his rich donors that "nothing would fundamentally change" for them.

    The 'nothing will fundamentally change' was 'you didn't build that' level dishonesty from the 'Cosplay Left.' It was literally saying the opposite of what they claimed; Biden telling rich donors that if taxes were raised for them, their lives would not be changed at all.

    But since 'the left' never met a smear or outright lie about Dems they didn't love, they made it into a central criticism of Biden. Because lying is good, as long as it furthers the cause of Park Slope Socialism...or something.

    This is some real levels of GME Poplisms Stonks.
    I'm gonna be real, I didn't understand half of what you just typed.

  11. #7351
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,565
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I'm gonna be real, I didn't understand half of what you just typed.
    That’s the case with you across multiple threads.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  12. #7352
    https://thehill.com/regulation/court...children-other

    Fuckin kek, Texas and Stephen fuckin Miller are suing the Biden administration to...try to force them to deport more minors. Ignoring that the executive branch has broad authority in prioritizing executive actions as already shown with DACA.

    This is just like, naked racism. Pure and simple. Especially from the folks that spent the past year downplaying the threat/significance of covid.

    Fuck these racist fucks, I hope the DOJ defends this and points out how racist these pieces of garbage are.

  13. #7353
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    38,366
    More shit scotus, this one a 6-3 ruling.

    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/polit...yor/index.html

    The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the sentence of life without parole for a juvenile offender[sentenced at 15] in a 6-3 decision, rejecting arguments that such sentences should have additional limits.

    Justice Brett Kavanaugh penned the decision for his conservative colleagues, holding that a sentencer will not have to make a separate finding that the juvenile offender was incapable of being rehabilitated.
    The ruling will make it easier for those who committed their crime under the age of 18 to be sentenced to prison for life without parole.
    Now SCOTUS already ruled that a juvenile can't be given mandatory life without parole in 2012.
    https://www.aclu.org/end-juvenile-li...%20such%20laws.
    The Supreme Court ruled in June 2012 that juveniles convicted of murder cannot be subject to a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. Twenty nine states currently have such laws. The Court’s rulings in Miller v. Alabama and Jackson v. Hobbs build on a decision two years prior that juveniles could not be sentenced under any circumstances to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for non-homicide offenses. Even when convicted of murder, the Court said, judges must be allowed to take a juvenile’s age into account (along with other relevant circumstances) in deciding the appropriate punishment. The Court specifically noted, moreover, that “appropriate occasions for sentencing juveniles to this harshest penalty will be uncommon.”
    Literally called it cruel and unusual

    This goes against the previous precedence. And Democrats won't do a single fucking thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

  14. #7354
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    More shit scotus, this one a 6-3 ruling.

    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/polit...yor/index.html



    Now SCOTUS already ruled that a juvenile can't be given mandatory life without parole in 2012.
    https://www.aclu.org/end-juvenile-li...%20such%20laws.


    Literally called it cruel and unusual

    This goes against the previous precedence. And Democrats won't do a single fucking thing.
    Again, this has nothing to do with either Biden or Harris, really. Also not entirely sure what "Democrats" could realistically do about it short of expanding the court--which won't happen.

  15. #7355
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This goes against the previous precedence. And Democrats won't do a single fucking thing.
    They'd have to change the state-level laws or prevent it at the federal level. It's fucked up but what's the immediate recourse from Democrats, especially since they don't have Legislative control in many of those states.

  16. #7356
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    38,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Again, this has nothing to do with either Biden or Harris, really. Also not entirely sure what "Democrats" could realistically do about it short of expanding the court--which won't happen.
    Forgetting so soon Nancy, Schumer and a bunch of others speaking about how they would expand the courts so soon?

    The only logical and correct thing to do would be to expand the courts, which the administration isn't going to pursue, this makes it directly a Biden and Harris administration problem.

    When asked if they'd even consider it Nancy outright said "no"

    So prepare to see more and more shit SCOTUS judgements coming down that go against what the majority of the country wants all because the democrats are weaklings who allows Republicans to do whatever they wanted, and then don't care to rectify the issue in any manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

  17. #7357
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,825
    I mean, it's going to be hard for the GOP to swallow this. Too bad. The country still needs help, the GOP made it clear last four years there were issues they wanted to fund, and they gave away all our money to rich people. I look forward to the squirming when they try to defend blocking this, when the threshhold is announced.

  18. #7358
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Forgetting so soon Nancy, Schumer and a bunch of others speaking about how they would expand the courts so soon?
    If you think this is a practical reality, I have a bridge to sell you.

    It's nice, and I hope they do look into it, but it's not remotely practical with the razor thin margins they ahve.

    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The only logical and correct thing to do would be to expand the courts, which the administration isn't going to pursue, this makes it directly a Biden and Harris administration problem.
    No, it would be to prevent it legislatively to begin with, not pack the courts to get the ruling they want (even if this is a gross as fuck ruling).

    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    When asked if they'd even consider it Nancy outright said "no"
    Plays well with the Democratic base but that's about it. Depending on the poll you look at, it has a slim majority of overall support.

    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So prepare to see more and more shit SCOTUS judgements coming down that go against what the majority of the country wants all because the democrats are weaklings who allows Republicans to do whatever they wanted, and then don't care to rectify the issue in any manner.
    The SCOTUS isn't there to give "the majority of the country what it wants" dude. That's not how it operates at all, this is a fundamental misunderstanding of its role in government. A great many of its ruling, including rulings that many of us celebrate, were not popular at the time it was ruled.

  19. #7359
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    38,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They'd have to change the state-level laws or prevent it at the federal level. It's fucked up but what's the immediate recourse from Democrats, especially since they don't have Legislative control in many of those states.
    probably they shouldn't open up with "remember when we said all that stuff about courts before the Georgia election? Yeah no never mind all that."

    Like... here we see SCOTUS disregarding 2012 and 2016 precedence, and Nancy Pelosi outright like "no" when asked a few days ago. No fight, no thinking about it, like in November and December.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

  20. #7360
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Forgetting so soon Nancy, Schumer and a bunch of others speaking about how they would expand the courts so soon?

    The only logical and correct thing to do would be to expand the courts, which the administration isn't going to pursue, this makes it directly a Biden and Harris administration problem.

    When asked if they'd even consider it Nancy outright said "no"

    So prepare to see more and more shit SCOTUS judgements coming down that go against what the majority of the country wants all because the democrats are weaklings who allows Republicans to do whatever they wanted, and then don't care to rectify the issue in any manner.
    Oh I heard a bunch of people say it after RBG passed, but there was never any realistic way it was going to happen. It's also still not Biden's fault this decision happened. If you want to go on a blanket rant about "HERP DERP DEMOCRATS!" be my guest. There are plenty here that will agree with all or most of what you have to say and I won't even say you're wrong about a portion of it. But you should probably start a thread for it rather than just trying to lay every perceived fault at the feet of the current administration when, especially in instances like these, the current administration had no part of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •