1. #8661
    Banned Kellhound's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    20,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Why isn't it?
    Because the US is too large and spread out. The US once had a spectacular passenger network, but cars and planes killed it off.

  2. #8662
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Because the US is too large and spread out. The US once had a spectacular passenger network, but cars and planes killed it off.
    Correction. Extensive lobbying by people like the Koch Brothers to subsidize cars and highways and to suppress public transportation killed it off.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  3. #8663
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Because the US is too large and spread out. The US once had a spectacular passenger network, but cars and planes killed it off.
    If you looked it up the reason the US doesn't have a large transportation networks isn't because we are too spread out, it is because the big three car makers lobbied to build highways and subsidize the local car industry early in our history. We could easily build small local networks and link them to a national one however it will never happen due to the amount of lobbying from the auto and gas industry.

  4. #8664
    Banned Kellhound's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    20,935
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Correction. Extensive lobbying by people like the Koch Brothers to subsidize cars and highways and to suppress public transportation killed it off.
    It wasn't public.

  5. #8665
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Because the US is too large and spread out
    The US once had a spectacular passenger network
    So it is not, in fact, too large and spread out. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  6. #8666
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It wasn't public.
    Buses, railways, etc weren't public? There were private railways and buses?

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  7. #8667
    Banned Kellhound's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    20,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    If you looked it up the reason the US doesn't have a large transportation networks isn't because we are too spread out, it is because the big three car makers lobbied to build highways and subsidize the local car industry early in our history. We could easily build small local networks and link them to a national one however it will never happen due to the amount of lobbying from the auto and gas industry.
    The US had a massive passenger network that consisted of both local and long range passenger trains. Cars killed the locals, aircraft killed the long distance ones. The loss of mail contracts also had a major negative impact, as that was the only profit point for many passenger trains. Today, almost all passenger trains in the US lose money. The main exception is the Northeast Corridor where Acela runs on the excellent bones of the Pennsy. It is also the best location for passenger rail in the US given its population density.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So it is not, in fact, too large and spread out. Lol.
    It is. Trains have a massive speed disadvantage compared to aircraft.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Buses, railways, etc weren't public? There were private railways and buses?
    Almost all railroads in the US have been private until recently. Greyhound, Trailways, etc. were all private buses.

  8. #8668
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It is. Trains have a massive speed disadvantage compared to aircraft.
    Okay? "X mode of transport is faster than Y" does not mean "Z place is too spread out for Y", or else it would never have had a rail network in the first place, lol. It also doesn't address the point regarding travel within metropolitan areas.

    It might not be relatively commercially viable, but... so what? It's a service, it costs money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  9. #8669
    Banned Kellhound's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    20,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Okay? "X mode of transport is faster than Y" does not mean "Z place is too spread out for Y", or else it would never have had a rail network in the first place, lol. It also doesn't address the point regarding travel within metropolitan areas.

    It might not be relatively commercially viable, but... so what? It's a service, it costs money.
    I know this will come as a surprise to you, but when passenger trains were at their peak, they were the fastest means of transport. Once that was no longer the case, the passengers disappeared.
    Commuter trains are not even close to being commercially viable. They were massive albatrosses around the necks of railroads that had them. They cost massive amounts of money to operate.

  10. #8670
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I know this will come as a surprise to you, but when passenger trains were at their peak, they were the fastest means of transport. Once that was no longer the case, the passengers disappeared.
    And once again, "planes are faster than trains" is not "the US is too big for trains". Trying to insist that the US is unserviceable by rail while simultaneously pointing out the US' rail network was "fantastic" is a contradiction. Lol.

    Commuter trains are not even close to being commercially viable. They were massive albatrosses around the necks of railroads that had them. They cost massive amounts of money to operate.
    Okay, and?

    It's a service. It costs money. I don't expect the police or the fire department or the armed forces to be commercially viable, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  11. #8671
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Almost all railroads in the US have been private until recently. Greyhound, Trailways, etc. were all private buses.
    Passenger trains were private? Also railway describes more than railroads. Greyhound never let the public use them?

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  12. #8672
    Pretty fitting to derail the thread arguing about trains...

  13. #8673
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The US had a massive passenger network that consisted of both local and long range passenger trains. Cars killed the locals, aircraft killed the long distance ones. The loss of mail contracts also had a major negative impact, as that was the only profit point for many passenger trains. Today, almost all passenger trains in the US lose money. The main exception is the Northeast Corridor where Acela runs on the excellent bones of the Pennsy. It is also the best location for passenger rail in the US given its population density.
    So we agree? The US being spread out actually makes it prime for high speed rail as we see in other modern economies. If we had built that way the country would also be very different just like towns and neighborhoods are built around highways they would be built around public transportation networks.

    High speed rail is also significantly cheaper and more comfortable than planes, if you had taken one overseas you would understand unless you had to you wouldn't fly.

  14. #8674
    MMOChampion Shrugged
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  15. #8675
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s not what private/public means in this context. Private is owned by a company, public is owned by the government.
    To me it doesn't matter who it's owned by, if it's accessible by the public then it's public in my eyes, but that's me.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  16. #8676
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    To me it doesn't matter who it's owned by, if it's accessible by the public then it's public in my eyes, but that's me.
    Its pretty absurd for you to make up your own definitions of words, then argue based on those made up definitions and do so without even telling anyone you made up new definitions or cluing them in to what those fake definitions are.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  17. #8677
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Because the US is too large and spread out. The US once had a spectacular passenger network, but cars and planes killed it off.
    When was this "spectacular network?"

  18. #8678
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When was this "spectacular network?"
    During the time the rail was being built on the backs of slaves and indentured laborers. You know, the "spectacular" times......
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  19. #8679
    Banned Kellhound's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bank of the Columbia
    Posts
    20,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And once again, "planes are faster than trains" is not "the US is too big for trains". Trying to insist that the US is unserviceable by rail while simultaneously pointing out the US' rail network was "fantastic" is a contradiction. Lol.



    Okay, and?

    It's a service. It costs money. I don't expect the police or the fire department or the armed forces to be commercially viable, either.
    People's primary concern with long distance travel is speed. They take the fastest mode available. When trains where the fastest mode they ruled travel over long distance. Now planes, with their massive speed advantage, rule. The US is too large for trains to be viable NOW.

    I was countering your argument that they are almost commercially viable, because they are not. Most current US commuter lines are based on private operations that government had to take over to keep them from killing the railroads that were operating them.

  20. #8680
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It is. Trains have a massive speed disadvantage compared to aircraft.
    LOL I'd love to see you fly out of Boston to NYC and get there in less then 3:30 total time invested.


    Acela Train Icon
    2155
    Acela
    DEPARTS
    7:15

    3h 32m
    ARRIVES
    10:47


    Of course the actual flight is only 1:20-1:40 ish....




    imagine we actually invested in real trains
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •