Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    You guys are reading way too much into this. For me and my employees it was a simple choice between "pee in a cup and get a 2.5 million airport construction material testing contract" and "not pee in a cup and don't get the contract."
    That getting the contract was contingent on it is the problem.

It's like if you had to submit to a full body-cavity search before entering the premises every day. Or they wanted the logins and passwords to all your social media accounts.

I perform labor for you. You pay me for that labor. You have no entitlement to police the rest of my life, and you can fuck right off with that nonsense. Not getting the contract is of more value to me than repeatedly debasing myself in the hopes that I can make some money. I can get by with other jobs that don't require that of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...that's the point. If you're high, you're legally impaired and there are huge liability issues. If someone is a drug user, insurance companies aren't gonna wanna insure you while they operate heavy machinery because it's too risky for them. Just as they wouldn't want to insure you if you were day drinking or something.

I'm not saying I AGREE with it, just that it's the way it is.
    The problem is that most drug tests are checking for if you have used the drug at any time in the past several days to several weeks. Not whether you're high right then. And alcohol is magically not included in those tests, even if its intoxicating effects are as bad or worse than the drugs that are listed. Because having a couple beers after work is totally fine, but having a joint after work, ooooo, bad person alert.

I don't even use marijuana. It's 100% legal, in a "I can go just down the street to the store literally named 'Cannabis' to buy a wide range of products in whatever THC level I prefer and in whatever means of intake I want". You don't need a prescription, and we're not talking medical use, we're talking personal enjoyment. I've been considering getting some gummies to try them out for anxiety, but haven't even bothered (mostly because of COVID at this point). So don't take my position on this as some indication that I'm a pothead.

Drink your echinacea with golden seal! It can work, but it's hardly foolproof and I don't even know if it does anything for the other drugs that may still be in your system. Also, don't eat poppy see muffins yo.
    If your drug test can be confused by poppy seeds, your drug test is useless garbage and its use won't hold up in court.

Especially if you document eating those muffins.

The liability argument doesn't really even work, legally speaking. The tests can't tell you if someone's on drugs right now, just if they've been on drugs recently. You can get through the test and immediately eat a couple pot gummies and be high as fuuuuck. A lot of these tests don't even cover alcohol use, because it's so common. And false-positives are rampant.

And the companies know all this. As do insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's equally dumb if it's something you do once and that's it, since like...most drugs don't last that long in your system (aside from weed) and someone can easily go clean for a week or two to pass the test and then go right back to using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    And really most tests can be passed same day. Drink lots of fluids (not just water) and piss a few times before testing and you will likely pass. Urine actually has to sit in your system for it to adsorb THC.
    I had a roommate who, because of his immense pot consumption, used to somewhat routinely get synthetic urine to pass his drug tests. They came in these small iv/catheter pouches that he could tape to his stomach or leg on the day of. His body heat would even warm the stuff up to help fool the people collecting the sample that it was legitimate. Even if someone were in the same room but behind him, they would have no idea.

The only way these things work consistently is if they're random.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Slow news day?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If your drug test can be confused by poppy seeds, your drug test is useless garbage and its use won't hold up in court.
    You presume a sane legal system rather than one infected basically from the begining with the bastard hybrid of puritanism, racism, prosperity gospel, feudalistic hypocrisy, and divine right of CEOs.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    Well, Biden is now on the phone with Lawrence Summers, God of Austerity, so keep an eye out if the economic plans become very strict and tight and we start seeing lots of "Skinny Bills" come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Well, Biden is now on the phone with Lawrence Summers, God of Austerity, so keep an eye out if the economic plans become very strict and tight and we start seeing lots of "Skinny Bills" come out.
    That would carry a lot more weight if you haven’t been claiming austerity right up until and including when the stimulus went out.

Funny how your outrage over Obama drone striking brown people evaporated when the brown people the Democrats help bomb are Palestinian, and this is what you choose to complain about instead. Lol.
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

.Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia said he will not vote for the Democrats’ far-reaching bill to combat voter suppression and restore ethical controls on the presidency shattered by Donald Trump. https://t.co/weiP8TKCRc
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1...764677121?s=19

Joe Manchin is a Piece of Crap.

One Democrat, possibly two with Sinema will not only crush Democrats for years to come, but more seriously hurt or kill our democracy.

More to the first point if a Democrat, this is figuratively handing the bullet to the Republicans
    A cowardly piece of shit, he fears the bigots and racists will vote him out.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

-Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

One Democrat, possibly two with Sinema will not only crush Democrats for years to come, but more seriously hurt or kill our democracy.

More to the first point if a Democrat, this is figuratively handing the bullet to the Republicans
    Manchin and Sinema are not Democrats. Yet another reason why these allege Centrists are a Stain in American Politics.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, launch counterattack." - Roger Stone (Trump's Friend, Ally, and Campaign Advisor)

"Mr. Manchin said instead that he would support passage of another bill, the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, which would restore federal oversight over state-level voting law changes to protect minority groups that might be targeted. "

Ok, he still need a square kick in the balls but the JLVRAA is still a big improvement over what's there now.

Everyone knew these two years would be like this with a 50/50 senate and Manchin. It's no surprise at all. Expect more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Everyone knew these two years would be like this with a 50/50 senate and Manchin. It's no surprise at all. Expect more of it.
    More so than ever, the Democrats need to make sure to win a larger margin in both chambers in 2022. If that doesn't happen, the GoP might be able to lock things up for another 20 years or more before their sinking ship finally submerges.

The good thing is that the lineup for 2022 favors the Democrats. The bad thing is that the GoP is doing everything they can to fuck with future elections in general. I'd say "it'll be interesting to see which side wins", but I don't think I can muster that much neutrality. Frankly, I'm aghast at not just the tactics these racist fuckwits are employing, but also their brazen willingness to do so openly in the full light of day.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    "Mr. Manchin said instead that he would support passage of another bill, the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, which would restore federal oversight over state-level voting law changes to protect minority groups that might be targeted. "

Ok, he still need a square kick in the balls but the JLVRAA is still a big improvement over what's there now.
    If my understanding is correct the John Lewis act would protect against future shenanigans, it would do nothing to stop the gerrymandering and the Jim Crow laws now on the books so it would be worthless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    More so than ever, the Democrats need to make sure to win a larger margin in both chambers in 2022. If that doesn't happen, the GoP might be able to lock things up for another 20 years or more before their sinking ship finally submerges.

The good thing is that the lineup for 2022 favors the Democrats. The bad thing is that the GoP is doing everything they can to fuck with future elections in general. I'd say "it'll be interesting to see which side wins", but I don't think I can muster that much neutrality. Frankly, I'm aghast at not just the tactics these racist fuckwits are employing, but also their brazen willingness to do so openly in the full light of day.
    Democrats are going to get killed there's no ifs and buts about it, republicans have given themselves the power to throw votes out without cause. They have made it as hard as possible for the democratic base to vote and given themselves the power to change the results at will. The right wing supreme court will back them up and make sure they win. Democrats need to grow a spine and push Manchin last time they had an insurrection the next time the fascist get power they aren't going to give it up.

Joe Leiberman killed the public option and it's been downhill since. The little ground regained lost by these two DINO's. This country would be so better off without the Senate.

“I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening blinds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For The People Act," Manchin wrote.

"The truth, I would argue, is that voting and election reform that is done in a partisan manner will all but ensure partisan divisions continue to deepen."
    He complains that the Democrats bill is too partisan, but keeps on ignoring all the partisan election and voting reforms the Republicans are doing in many different states. I firmly believe Manchin is paid off by Republicans and I'll continue to believe that until proven otherwise.

https://www.axios.com/manchin-democr...31c8ec382.html

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    He complains that the Democrats bill is too partisan, but keeps on ignoring all the partisan election and voting reforms the Republicans are doing in many different states. I firmly believe Manchin is paid off by Republicans and I'll continue to believe that until proven otherwise.

https://www.axios.com/manchin-democr...31c8ec382.html
    Only for a few more years, because this shit is gonna cost him his seat, to a republican...

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Only for a few more years, because this shit is gonna cost him his seat, to a republican...
    Well if he does lose his seat, maybe he can ask his pharmaceutical CEO daughter to jack up the price of the EpiPen some more and have her share the profits with him. He could also switch to a Republican since he's acting like them already.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Well if he does lose his seat, maybe he can ask his pharmaceutical CEO daughter to jack up the price of the EpiPen some more and have her share the profits with him. He could also switch to a Republican since he's acting like them already.
    Oh he'll switch his political party, just like the Lieberman guy I mentioned above, won't do him any good for a senate seat, since he's screwed with the pro-trumpers since he voted to convict, twice. Won't stop him from being a lobbyist, my guess for oil and gas industries that has been the brunt of all his campaign contributions since joining the senate. btw this is the real reason underlining everything he's doing. He's the head of the energy committee, he needs the filibuster or his contributers and future job prospects are in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

It's not interesting to me at all. It's brutal horrible reality.

And if I were betting with a large amount of cash on who would win in 2022, I would go full in on republicans taking the Senate and the House.

I am quite pessimistic about the future of the US. I deal with this by limiting the amount of time and energy I put towards politics / current events. Too depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    The Dems are lucky to have him despite his shitiness. He seems to be the only Dem who can get elected in WV.

Paula Jean Swearengin ran as a progressive against Shelly Capito in 2020 and was pasted by 40 pts. That's the Dem reality in WV and nicer election laws won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    It's not interesting to me at all. It's brutal horrible reality.

And if I were betting with a large amount of cash on who would win in 2022, I would go full in on republicans taking the Senate and the House.

I am quite pessimistic about the future of the US. I deal with this by limiting the amount of time and energy I put towards politics / current events. Too depressing.
    Yeah...same here. Its going to be a mess politically for the next 10 years until the boomer crowd comes to the end of their natural lifespans to the point the rest of the generations can push whatever is left of them out. Its hard to get anywhere right now with politics because the political meta is based around who has the most "speech" (AKA Money) and guess who has most of it...boomers and corporations which will both use their "speech" to promote what we see going on.

So basically the next 10 years the United States will stall out (or degress if the current makeup of the judiciary is anything to show) until the above happens...which I think its going to be such a dramatic snap back socially its going to look like a paradigm shift

That being said think about it...add 10 more years of being stalled out politically on top of the 10-12 years we already had (if you think about it the USA legislative body hasn't really been functioning since 2010) and that's a long time on the world stage to basically go all NEET from a progression pov. China/EU/India sends its regards though!