Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, it's official. Cicadas are in on the whole QAnon thing, whatever it is.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...edgdhp&pc=U531
    If it weren't automatic, these are literally the types of people that would forget to breathe.

Hmm... New Jersey carries $10.1B surplus into new fiscal year

New Jersey will be $10.1 billion richer in the next fiscal year as the state projected it will carry about 25 percent of its total budget into fiscal 2022.

This surplus marks a $4 billion increase from what the state last projected in February.

"Thanks to a remarkable two-month revenue collection surge - an April and May 'surprise' like no other - state tax collections in Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) are hitting historic highs," State Treasurer Elizabeth Maher Muoio said in a written revenue update delivered to the Assembly Budget Committee on Thursday.

Muoio attributed the gains to the coronavirus relief stimulus packages passed in December 2020 and March 2021, speedy vaccine development and distribution, and stock market gains.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema has become one of the most unmovable roadblocks on Democratic priorities in Washington — which has shocked people who considered themselves ardent Sinema supporters a few short years ago

So what the hell happened in the primary process and the Dems or more specifically Arizona Dem Party nominating her. Did they believe Arizona really needed basically a centrist, but a centrist who is not a Dem. I mean this is really killing the Dems along with Manchin. Manchin is different a solid red state, but we can almost call Arizona blue.

Now here is the scary part where I sound like a crazy right winger. The danger of the primary process as we have seen is nominating extremism and they go on to win. But again, Arizona seems blue so I think a more left, liberal or whatever person is needed.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

-Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    So what the hell happened in the primary process and the Dems or more specifically Arizona Dem Party nominating her. Did they believe Arizona really needed basically a centrist, but a centrist who is not a Dem. I mean this is really killing the Dems along with Manchin. Manchin is different a solid red state, but we can almost call Arizona blue.
    AZ is definitely not blue. AZ is purple at best. Sinema was the first (D) senator from AZ since 95. Since the 50s Biden and Clinton (2nd term only) are the only (D) to win the presidential. The state legislature is pretty solidly in (R) hands. I doubt sinema, biden, or kelly would have won w/out trump tanking the GOP statewide there. They're headed blue, but they're not there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

saw Mikey Nearman got the boot. what a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    saw Mikey Nearman got the boot. what a cunt
    For reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Hope that fucker enjoys jail, because they pretty much should have him dead to rights.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Hope that fucker enjoys jail, because they pretty much should have him dead to rights.
    Charged with two misdemeanors so far. Don't know if he'll face much jail time. A day less than a year is his max sentence, and he'll likely get probation, assuming it's his first offence.

What I'd like to see is for them to add conspiracy charges for the assaults. Official misconduct in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor, which meets the OR statutory requirements for conspiracy, and that video clearly demonstrates they planned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Charged with two misdemeanors so far. Don't know if he'll face much jail time. A day less than a year is his max sentence, and he'll likely get probation, assuming it's his first offence.

What I'd like to see is for them to add conspiracy charges for the assaults. Official misconduct in the first degree is a Class A misdemeanor, which meets the OR statutory requirements for conspiracy, and that video clearly demonstrates they planned it.
    Well, yeah, he told people basically who to call or text and directly how to get inside, he is the head of the conspiracy, very much confirmed that that should be another charge added.

This G(8-1 Kleptocrat) Meeting looks like they redoing the the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Boris as a Vogon is some brilliant casting!

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    This G(8-1 Kleptocrat) Meeting looks like they redoing the the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Boris as a Vogon is some brilliant casting!

Photoshop is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm... New Jersey carries $10.1B surplus into new fiscal year

New Jersey will be $10.1 billion richer in the next fiscal year as the state projected it will carry about 25 percent of its total budget into fiscal 2022.

This surplus marks a $4 billion increase from what the state last projected in February.

"Thanks to a remarkable two-month revenue collection surge - an April and May 'surprise' like no other - state tax collections in Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) are hitting historic highs," State Treasurer Elizabeth Maher Muoio said in a written revenue update delivered to the Assembly Budget Committee on Thursday.

Muoio attributed the gains to the coronavirus relief stimulus packages passed in December 2020 and March 2021, speedy vaccine development and distribution, and stock market gains.
    LOL those poorly run blue states huh?

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...very-milestone

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I feel like Garland's been dropping the ball a little in the first half of the year, but the following gives me cause for hope:

AG Merrick Garland vows to protect voting rights, beef up DOJ civil rights division

Looks like they'll be going after the HIGHLY suspect voting legislation passed in several GOP states.

"To meet the challenge of the current moment, we must re-dedicate the resources of the Department of Justice to a critical part of its original mission: enforcing federal law to protect the franchise for all eligible voters," Garland said, noting a recent wave of legislation in several states that restrict voter access.

"We are scrutinizing new laws that seek to curb voter access, and where we see violations of federal law, we will not hesitate to act," Garland said. "We are also scrutinizing current laws and practices, in order to determine whether they discriminate against Black voters and other voters of color."
    Looks like this is being explored as an alternate route in the wake of Manchin's fuckery over the HR1 bill.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, also, some of that Vanity Wall money is going back where Trump stole it from:

Biden administration returning $2 billion in Trump border wall funds to Pentagon

The money will be used on 66 delayed projects on installations in 11 states and 16 countries, including schools for military families, hangars, housing and training facilities, according to the administration.

It's the balance available to return to the Defense Department from the roughly $14 billion in funds identified by the Biden administration in April that Trump diverted from other parts of the government toward the wall project.
    It's only a fraction of what Trump stole, but it's something, at least.

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Excellent.

Things these "anti-green energy," pro-coal," whatever people need to come to an understanding over is that scientific progress on new forms of energy will be made regardless of whether the United States leads the charge or not. Science doesn't wait for the United States.

Do they want America to be followers or do they want America to be leaders?

Personally, I'd rather have the latter, on as many future fronts as possible. Conservatives are all too happy at willfully letting the United States lag behind in important scientific and social channels while the rest of the world simply moves on.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Excellent.

Things these "anti-green energy," pro-coal," whatever people need to come to an understanding over is that scientific progress on new forms of energy will be made regardless of whether the United States leads the charge or not. Science doesn't wait for the United States.

Do they want America to be followers or do they want America to be leaders?

Personally, I'd rather have the latter, on as many future fronts as possible. Conservatives are all too happy at willfully letting the United States lag behind in important scientific and social channels while the rest of the world simply moves on.
    Can't help but be reminded of:

tl;dr:
    "But what do we do with solar power when the sun's not out?!"
    "Build better batteries, idiots. Or else China will sell them to you instead."
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2021-06-14 at 05:20 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Can't help but be reminded of:

tl;dr:
    "But what do we do with solar power when the sun's not out?!"
    "Build better batteries, idiots. Or else China will sell them to you instead."
    "What do we do if the sun's not out?" should be treated like asking "how do I gas up my car if I don't have an oil refinery in my back yard?"

Also, it's funny how when you start talking about things like wind or nuclear every conservative suddenly becomes a "responsibly concerned environmentalist." "Oh but won't the windmills kill birds? It's far better to bulldoze down forests so we can install a pipeline that will totally never rupture or leak!"

I'm going to wager far, FAR more species have been, and are going to be, imperiled by gas, oil, and coal pollution, let alone global warming, than will have ever been imperiled by tidal, geothermal, solar, wind, or even nuclear power.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Let's be blunt about people who "considered themselves ardent Sinema supporters" - these people are either morons or cynically motivated power seekers. Everything about Sinema's career suggests that she does not have any meaningful views at all, that she's a political chameleon whose only sincerely held position is that she should have more power than she has today. She's a political hack that's spent her entire adult life trying to get into the halls of power and it should be no surprise that she holds whatever position she thinks will continue that power rather than attempting to do anything useful. Anyone that is "shocked" is simply an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If it weren't automatic, these are literally the types of people that would forget to breathe.
    Would that be such a bad thing...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "What do we do if the sun's not out?" should be treated like asking "how do I gas up my car if I don't have an oil refinery in my back yard?"
    Incidentally, as sarcastically stupid as that question is, it's still better than "wind turnbines cause cancer and kill birds".