10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Home providers tend to be… not great. Even when licensed. And finding an acceptable one is impossible for the vast majority of the nation.
    Not a given.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It isn't. It's literally happening around you, all the time, and you are completely unaware of the practical realities of infrastructure maintenance and repair.
    I see plenty of infrastructure maintenance. They have one of the main street in my town stripped to its concrete base right now. The even replaced a few sections of the concrete base. What they didn't do was rip everything out down to the soil, or even the crushed rock subbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Only if you have blinders on
    I have rarely seen everything above the subgrade removed except when the road is also being widened or new utilities are being layed at the same time (i.e. upgrades).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    So a lot of people need it, i'm really failing to see your point here? What are you even arguing against if you agree its needed?
    First resort vs last resort.

- - - Updated - - -

Neither is yours. However mine is more likely. Hence the need for subsidies.
    When all else fails, agreed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I have rarely seen everything above the subgrade removed except when the road is also being widened or new utilities are being layed at the same time (i.e. upgrades).
    I have rarely seen roads being replaced except for cases where roads were being replaced."

You're being ridiculous.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pathetic GOP stumper can barely find topics to criticize Biden.

It's amazing how the GQP doesn't understand that a President is supposed to be calm and fairly boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have rarely seen roads being replaced except for cases where roads were being replaced."

You're being ridiculous.
    I have rarely seen roads being "replaced" except when part of a significant upgrade, but the entire road was not structurally in need of being replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad you agree we need to help people pay for childcare.
    Some people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have rarely seen roads being "replaced" except when part of a significant upgrade, but the entire road was not structurally in need of being replaced.
    Again, you're saying you've rarely seen roads replaced, except for all those times they were replaced.

You're trying to equivocate pointlessly on that, when what you're describing as "upgrades" necessarily is replacement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you disagreeing with yourself? You said most people.
    I do not believe most people can honestly answer no to all of the questions I put forth. It may be easier, but not honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, you're saying you've rarely seen roads replaced, except for all those times they were replaced.

You're trying to equivocate pointlessly on that, when what you're describing as "upgrades" necessarily is replacement.
    I have rarely seen a road that needed to be fully replaced. I have seen ones that were "upgraded", often for little actual benefit (Look, we now have a planter strip and a wider shoulder in the middle of nowhere!).

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the hell are people talking about replaced vs repaired roads in the first place? Does this legitimately make a difference?

Some roads get repaired, some get replaced, but who honestly cares about the distinction?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Some roads get repaired, some get replaced, but who honestly cares about the distinction?
    If you've ever lived in an area where all they do is drop some new asphalt in the potholes instead of repaving, so that the road is a mess of bumps and patches...you might. I take the long way around when going home because the road on the shorter path has been in desperate need of replacement for two decades.

I see roads being repaired. all. the. time. People living in BFE should be screaming for the 3.5 trillion cause shit like dams breaking gonna fuck you the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If you've ever lived in an area where all they do is drop some new asphalt in the potholes instead of repaving, so that the road is a mess of bumps and patches...you might.
    First of all, that happens everywhere.

But second, you miss the point entirely. I'm not suggesting that they're the same thing. I'm suggesting that the exact line of demarcation between the two is is not fucking important at all. The quality difference is important, but what you call it is not.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    What questions are you talking about? We were discussing childcare costs and you agreed that most families could use a little help in that area.

And our shitty roads that constantly need patching all need to be replaced. You being blind to the infrastructure crisis is a you thing. It’s not reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. The same roads constantly need patching because they need to be fully replaced. We don’t want to invest in that on a federal level so shit just gets worse.
    No, I agreed that families that cannot resolve the childcare issue any other way should get it. Significant difference.

They need repaved, not replaced, for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    They already have income limits in place. Not sure what you’re complaining about in light of that.

No, the recurring pothole issues require replacement. And many need widening due to increased traffic demands.
    Because income alone does not dictate if you require assistance.

Depends on what is causing the potholes.

Funny you mention widening though, as the biggest replacement need around here are the two I-5 bridges over the Columbia. Federal funding was lined up but the whole thing fell apart because Oregon didn't want to add any more lanes (despite the massive need for them) and insisted instead that light rail be included. Washington balked at that because light rail funding had been soundly defeated in Clark County (and is still not popular there), would not actually solve the congestion issue, and would negatively impact river traffic. The two states are trying it again, but the demand to include light rail will likely scuttle it again.

They need repaved, not replaced, for the most part.
    Well actual engineers disagree with you since the gas tax wasn't pegged to inflation we haven't been doing able to even do maintenance in most states. We have less than half of our roads that are actually in good condition.

Well, I gave up halfway through the half dozen pages of Kellhound arguing that infrastructure can't be replaced because of "the libruls", somehow. Can anybody tell me if I missed anything interesting in the part I skipped?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Well, I gave up halfway through the half dozen pages of Kellhound arguing that infrastructure can't be replaced because of "the libruls", somehow. Can anybody tell me if I missed anything interesting in the part I skipped?
    Not really, just Kellhound being able to derail the thread by baiting people into a philosophical (and completely irrelevant/pointless) discussion on what constitutes "replacement" vs. "repair".
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Basically, from what I could tell, nothing but pigeon shit and people feeding the pigeon to continue shitting on the thread.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a month later than hoped, but Biden hits 70% vaccination rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's a month later than hoped, but Biden hits 70% vaccination rate.
    I found some good news too

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/6b8c9b42...den-s-job.html

Title: President Biden's Job Approval Bounces, Defying First-Year Obama Swoon

Excerpt:

President Joe Biden's job approval rating bounced back over the past month, reaching a level that President Obama never regained outside the first few months of his presidency, the August IBD/TIPP Poll finds. Biden's approval rating climbed as the government distributed new monthly child tax credits, a bipartisan infrastructure deal advanced, and the delta variant sparked an upsurge in Covid cases and hospitalizations.
    Basically his numbers are in the high 50s of approval That is what the rest of the article is about. Here is one excerpt:

Biden's job approval rating among registered voters rose to 57% from 54%, as disapproval slipped to 34% from 38%. Registered independents now approve of Biden's job performance 50%-37%, after disapproving by 43%-41% in July.
    This article is from Investor's Business Daily. Not exactly a left wing publication!

There is no legal requirement for you to place your child in childcare, just one to no leave them alone. There is a significant difference between them.

The point is, government assistance should be a last resort, not a first resort. But it should be a resort.

Can one parent stay home? Can you afford childcare? Can the parents work split shifts to ensure one is always home? Do they have family that can watch the child? Do they have friends that can watch the child? If the answer is truly no to all of those, then government assistance would likely be in order.

Wait are you really trying to say having someone watch your kids is not "childcare". ? ? ??

The whole point right now is that there are millions if not 10s of millions of people who cannot stay home, cannot afford, can't split work shifts, don't have family, are single, are poor, in a community where their "friends" are in the same situation, etc etc.

That was the whole point of the investment. They were not doing it because of "feels" they were doing it because of the data.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I found some good news too

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/6b8c9b42...den-s-job.html

Title: President Biden's Job Approval Bounces, Defying First-Year Obama Swoon

Excerpt:

Basically his numbers are in the high 50s of approval That is what the rest of the article is about. Here is one excerpt:

This article is from Investor's Business Daily. Not exactly a left wing publication!
    Silly you for not just using Rassmussen.
    Shocked @Ghostpanther what's his name has not come back to the forums to post the polls from the most biased place around.
    I wonder what happened to him.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!