10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm see this 180 from Fox and a number of networks and their executives (including NewsMax). I would give good money to know what changed their minds, or is causing this swing. Because it can't be any kind of resurgence of the virus - we were at a much larger criticality last year at this time and they were balls to the wall anti-vaxxing Trump cuck suckers.

Why are they doing this now?
    At this point last year they hadn’t yet hoisted themselves on their own petard and lost the executive and legislative branches.

For as much as people talk about republicans foisting draconian voting restrictions (which they are indeed doing) and being poised to make big gains in the house in 2022 the republicans are still staring down the inevitable barrel of complete demographic collapse. Preemptively killing and otherwise enfeebling the few demographics that still vote for them hastens that demise, especially because it’s pointedly happening in states they control.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    maybe they realize tanks are almost worthless at this point vs air and missile power. You can take out tanks with cheap drones at this point very easily and launch missiles from a bunker in florida with a computer terminal and hit them from a thousand miles away.
    Or rather because most NATO countries aren't actually serious in having strong capable militaries and instead the money is spent to keep certain people in certain areas employed. If anyone wants to talk about the military industrial complex look no further then Europe.

Some exceptions: Poland for instance decided to buy Turkish combat drones that were such a game changer when they were used against Armenia, along with F-35s and 250 modern upgraded M1 Abrams. They've also talked about buying cruise missiles and hypersonic missiles.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

I'm see this 180 from Fox and a number of networks and their executives (including NewsMax). I would give good money to know what changed their minds, or is causing this swing. Because it can't be any kind of resurgence of the virus - we were at a much larger criticality last year at this time and they were balls to the wall anti-vaxxing Trump cuck suckers.

It has to be a class a action lawsuit, just like the false voting claims. The only thing Fox reacts to is the possibility of losing money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    At this point last year they hadn’t yet hoisted themselves on their own petard and lost the executive and legislative branches.

For as much as people talk about republicans foisting draconian voting restrictions (which they are indeed doing) and being poised to make big gains in the house in 2022 the republicans are still staring down the inevitable barrel of complete demographic collapse. Preemptively killing and otherwise enfeebling the few demographics that still vote for them hastens that demise, especially because it’s pointedly happening in states they control.
    Republicans are no longer worried about the demographic changes, they plan on continuing down this path. They will keep tightening laws and the rules to keep power so killing their own people is no big deal. It's obvious democrats don't have the balls to do anything about it nor will they ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Garland moves to separate DoJ from White House.

"Why would he do that?"

(points at last four years, incluing Barr)

"Oh. Right."

Garland also moved to block the FBI and others from seizing info about reporters. It was for exactly the same reason.

"These moves were necessary," Garland didn't say but I'm pretending he did. "Remember that time someone said, during a debate, that he'd prosecute his political rival? Yeah, that's third-world dictatorship shit. Not in my country, motherfuckers."

Personally I would love to see strenuous prosecution of the previous regime.

But ask yourself, how would Beltway Pundits frame any prosecutions? I'd bet my children that a plurality of the framing would include "Dems on a Witchhunt?" "Garland Purges the GOP".

Case in point: Framing of the 1/6 Commission

Note how Chris Cillizza preemptively surrenders the press's agency—its ability to *judge for itself* 1/6 Committee findings—& totally buys the trope that only bipartisan = fair/worthwhile. Just after murdering any meaning to the word bipartisan. Democrats will still have a bipartisan committee (featuring Liz Cheney), with full subpoena power, that will be televised for weeks.

Republicans are the protagonists of the news ... they throw the most tweeatble parties in MaraLago.

Who wrote the following: a GOP spokesman or another Beltway reporter?
    Rs were opposed to select committee probe from start. If they were on the committee, they would be forced to confront questions over Trump’s role in Jan. 6.
    Now they believe they can easily paint the probe as a witch-hunt and not have any role in it
    “A total gift,” one R said

Too many people romanticize the media as Ed Murrow types. When he was just a blip in the 200+ years of mass communications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Personally I would love to see strenuous prosecution of the previous regime.

But ask yourself, how would Beltway Pundits frame any prosecutions? I'd bet my children that a plurality of the framing would include "Dems on a Witchhunt?" "Garland Purges the GOP".

Case in point: Framing of the 1/6 Commission

Note how Chris Cillizza preemptively surrenders the press's agency—its ability to *judge for itself* 1/6 Committee findings—& totally buys the trope that only bipartisan = fair/worthwhile. Just after murdering any meaning to the word bipartisan. Democrats will still have a bipartisan committee (featuring Liz Cheney), with full subpoena power, that will be televised for weeks.

Republicans are the protagonists of the news ... they throw the most tweeatble parties in MaraLago.

Who wrote the following: a GOP spokesman or another Beltway reporter?
    Rs were opposed to select committee probe from start. If they were on the committee, they would be forced to confront questions over Trump’s role in Jan. 6.
    Now they believe they can easily paint the probe as a witch-hunt and not have any role in it
    “A total gift,” one R said

Too many people romanticize the media as Ed Murrow types. When he was just a blip in the 200+ years of mass communications.
    Frankly I don’t care how they “frame” it if the committee is capable of taking actual legal action.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm pretty sure it's as simple as someone drawing the connection between "vaccination rates are way lower in red states" and "basically the only people dying from the virus are the unvaccinated, now". They've effectively been telling their base to kill themselves, and their base has been doing so, and they realized what that's likely to mean in future elections.

So, change of tune practically overnight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Or rather because most NATO countries aren't actually serious in having strong capable militaries and instead the money is spent to keep certain people in certain areas employed.
    Failing to see how this is a bad thing unless you're worried your tax dollars might go towards helping poor people rather than killing brown people.

Most people prefer butter. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would give good money to know what changed their minds, or is causing this swing.
    My first thought was right up your alley: FOX News is afraid they'll be sued for intentionally spreading what they know to be misinformation that kills people.

FOX News, like any news agency or opinion-based entertainment pretendeing to be one, does make appearances on Twitter, FB, and YouTube. These platforms can and will kick you off for saying things like "the vaccines have Bezos chips that track how often you buy wavy Pringles instead of the regular kind". But they also broadcast directly. This opens them to liability for these same actions. If they're caught saying "vaccines are fake and the disease is harmless" they could be sues for millions, or individuals there could be sued for promoting/allowing it.

But, yes, why now?

I think @Ursus @Endus and @Kaleredar are correct. The red states, FOX News watchers I'm sure, have intentionally chosen not to get vaccinated. Now, Fauci says some huge percent (95% or more) of the dying are unvaccinated. Besides the obvious loss of watchers, besides the fact that classic Republicans might get angry and turn that dial, they're worried about the intentional change of demographics by mass suicide cult changing the upcoming votes. You know who doesn't vote? Dead people. (Yes yes @Edge- will remind me that some dead Republicans voted)

They're trying to get out in front of this. But it might be too late. A swing in vaccine acceptance due to FOX News, McConnell, and other classic Republicans isn't going to be quick. We all know it's the Party of Trump. It still seems so strange, even by rabid fanbase standards, that the Party of Trump has been saying "it's such a good thing Trump pushed through that vaccine that is clearly an untested hoax with Microsoft OS". That's a level of contradiction I didn't think even they were capable of. The remaining classic Republicans never had that issue, and are trying to nudge the rest out of that uniquely illogical zone that only Trump supporters can occupy.

But all they can do is nudge.

What this will take, is Trump holding off on the "election was stolen" traitorous assault on democracy and actually hold a press conference saying "Look, I made the vaccine, I did it all by myself with no help whatsoever. That's why it's the best bestiest best vaccine ever made by a human. Get it."

Because it's affecting their wallet.
    The grifters in conservative media don't give a shit if a few % of their audience dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Frankly I don’t care how they “frame” it if the committee is capable of taking actual legal action.
    You're going to be disappointed. They don't have prosecutorial powers. They're not the executive branch. The only legal action they can take is issuing subpoenas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post

Because it's affecting their wallet.
    The grifters in conservative media don't give a shit if a few % of their audience dies.

You're going to be disappointed. They don't have prosecutorial powers. They're not the executive branch. The only legal action they can take is issuing subpoenas.
    Yeah, it's all financial for FOX. They don't give a shit about people too stupid to get vaccinated, considering everyone there is vaccinated, yet spread lies about it. Maybe the money groups that give FOX money and advertisers care and are pressuring them. But people, make no mistake, FOX didn't have a change of heart becasue they care now or are concerned about GOP voters dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Yeah, it's all financial for FOX. They don't give a shit about people too stupid to get vaccinated, considering everyone there is vaccinated, yet spread lies about it. Maybe the money groups that give FOX money and advertisers care and are pressuring them. But people, make no mistake, FOX didn't have a change of heart becasue they care now or are concerned about GOP voters dying.
    It is my understanding that Biden's administration actually reached out to the higher ups at Fox.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    It is my understanding that Biden's administration actually reached out to the higher ups at Fox.
    That would be VERY interesting if confirmed.

From what I know it's fairly standard shit to be in regular contact with the major news outlets, especially around pushes for major programs (like vaccinations). Not really atypical of a normal administration, but likely atypical of the previous administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Not sure who to believe. Still the sudden switch in messaging is interesting.
    Why would anyone believe Fox ever? I mean, I'd believe them over OAN or Newsmax or The Onion, but that's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The WH confirmed it directly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From what I know it's fairly standard shit to be in regular contact with the major news outlets, especially around pushes for major programs (like vaccinations). Not really atypical of a normal administration, but likely atypical of the previous administration.

Why would anyone believe Fox ever? I mean, I'd believe them over OAN or Newsmax or The Onion, but that's about it.
    Don’t lump The Onion in with Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

FOX and some others finally realized it's mostly their voters dying at this point.

Them propping up or even pushing the anti-vax nonsense is probably going to cost them tens of thousands of votes for the next election. This alone could very well help dems keep and take seats they would have lost otherwise.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think that means the White House reached out to Fox and other GQP shrillers with some specific requests and perhaps some veiled threats backing those "requests". The networks turnaround over the past week has been swift.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Excellent. I would have LOVED to be in on that conversation. You can bet Gym Jordan will start shreaking about it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd believe The Onion sooner than any of those, at least you know it's supposed to be satire and not lying to further an agenda.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

How sad does one have to be to keep repeating "our guy totally was not a retard!"?