Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It looks like the hurricane damage is rather minimal. losing power isn't a big issue, and the flooding was fairly moderate.
    In a southern state in summer in an urban area being without power and water and sewer systems basically renders a huge chunk of the populated area of that state uninhabitable. It is going to take weeks or longer to get basic functionality back all the major high power transmission line feeds into new orleans were ground up. A lot of the area was hit so badly that we don't yet have a lot of solid info because their infrascture is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    In a southern state in summer in an urban area being without power and water and sewer systems basically renders a huge chunk of the populated area of that state uninhabitable. It is going to take weeks or longer to get basic functionality back all the major high power transmission line feeds into new orleans were ground up. A lot of the area was hit so badly that we don't yet have a lot of solid info because their infrascture is gone.
    Power being out is rough, but it's not as bad as major flooding that leads to a high body count. It was a rough storm, but the property damage wasn't too bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Power being out is rough, but it's not as bad as major flooding that leads to a high body count. It was a rough storm, but the property damage wasn't too bad.
    I've seen Ida estimates from $40 to $80 billion total. Obviously it's very early but based on past experience, I'd imagine that's the ballpark.

Katrina was $161 billion.

EDIT: The death count is also currently listed as 4, of course that'll go up too. The real issue isn't going to be the impact it seems, but how quickly we can get to people afterwards. Which, in theory, Biden was prepped for. We'll find out -- I mean, so far so good, but it's only been a few days.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2021-09-01 at 03:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting this, apropos of nothing...

People would do well to get their facts straight before making a fool of themselves. Just sayin'.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Posting this, apropos of nothing...

People would do well to get their facts straight before making a fool of themselves. Just sayin'.
    You think they care about facts? They think that Trump didn't lie his entire presidency for fucks sake.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It was materiel that was provided for the Afghan army. They're the ones who lost it to the Taliban.

I'm not sure what kind of mental gymnastics you're pulling to try and blame Biden for that.

And seriously, the bulk of that $83 billion was never materiel to begin with. So the only clowns here are the ones who continue to use that number, because they're just proving that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
    Yep, just had a friend post basically the same shit on Facebook, and I had to debunk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I've seen Ida estimates from $40 to $80 billion total. Obviously it's very early but based on past experience, I'd imagine that's the ballpark.

Katrina was $161 billion.

EDIT: The death count is also currently listed as 4, of course that'll go up too. The real issue isn't going to be the impact it seems, but how quickly we can get to people afterwards. Which, in theory, Biden was prepped for. We'll find out -- I mean, so far so good, but it's only been a few days.
    That's a lot of property damage, I'm taking back my previous comment about it bein relatively minor.

As for the death count, I think most people would agree that number could have been much worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Power begins to trickle back to New Orleans. It's a start. Having no power during a fucking pandemic sounds like a circle of hell even Dante wouldn't want to write about.

Also worth noting, Ida was the fifth strongest storm to make landfall in the continental US and...the death toll is currently four. Oh, it'll go up, no question. But 48 hours and change later and we have 2 from the storm directly and 2 when a road collapsed. Considering this is rural Louisiana and Mississippi we're talking about, that's really encouraging. Kudos to all the state/local forces who kept the initial deaths and injuries down so low -- hopefully the first responders and overtaxed medical system can keep it low.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Power begins to trickle back to New Orleans. It's a start. Having no power during a fucking pandemic sounds like a circle of hell even Dante wouldn't want to write about.

Also worth noting, Ida was the fifth strongest storm to make landfall in the continental US and...the death toll is currently four. Oh, it'll go up, no question. But 48 hours and change later and we have 2 from the storm directly and 2 when a road collapsed. Considering this is rural Louisiana and Mississippi we're talking about, that's really encouraging. Kudos to all the state/local forces who kept the initial deaths and injuries down so low -- hopefully the first responders and overtaxed medical system can keep it low.
    Went through this recently. Constant 90-100 degree hot weather. Without power for about 60 hours. I actually went into my office which is like a 30 minute drive away and worked there most of the time, so I at least had power and since there was AC, a cold place to sleep despite it being on the floor of my cubicle. Other people in my household did not have this option and spent a few miserable days in the sweltering weather.

Had to completely toss my fridge and freezer too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I was going to ask "will insurance cover it?" before I realized "that's not really the issue, is it?" You weren't the only one who lost food storage for...weeks, I'm guessing, and restocking in a flood can't be easy.

- - - Updated - - -

We have a new damage report estimate: $18 billion.

That's good news, compared to what we've been saying.

- - - Updated - - -

New jobless claims are down, layoffs are historically down. The trade gap shrank and the GDP is steadly growing.

This is, of course, both (a) the result of the free market growing in an optimistic environment and not because Biden signed a specific law and (b) very fragile considering Florida and Texas are trying to kill themselves. But it's good news for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Went through this recently. Constant 90-100 degree hot weather. Without power for about 60 hours. I actually went into my office which is like a 30 minute drive away and worked there most of the time, so I at least had power and since there was AC, a cold place to sleep despite it being on the floor of my cubicle. Other people in my household did not have this option and spent a few miserable days in the sweltering weather.

I feel ya, after spending 1.5 weeks w/o power & water after Harvey, we had a natural gas automatic generator hooked up to the house. Saved our ass during Imelda. Would 100% recommend if you can afford it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if that $18B includes the damage in the northeast. Not sure it does since the article is from yesterday.
    Agreed. Also 9 people were killed in the flooding, so that low death count was predictably temporary.

- - - Updated - - -

By allowing a law to go into effect that empowers private citizens in Texas to sue health care providers, family members supporting a woman exercising her right to choose after six weeks, or even a friend who drives her to a hospital or clinic, it unleashes unconstitutional chaos and empowers self-anointed enforcers to have devastating impacts
    -- President Joe Biden, on the Texas thing

Apparently Pelosi is also pushing a bill that would directly intervene.

- - - Updated - - -

With the South flooded, and something like 50-80% of oil capacity underwater, Biden opens the national fuel reserves. Specifically, Exxon/Mobil.

7+ Year Old Account
    So apparently conservatives are outraged because on his trip to Louisiana Biden had a sheet with the pictures and names of various people that worked in the parishes he was visiting. LMFAO.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    So apparently conservatives are outraged because on his trip to Louisiana Biden had a sheet with the pictures and names of various people that worked in the parishes he was visiting. LMFAO.
    They turn "learning names to greet them appropriately" to "Biden is spying on you."

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Is it that or them claiming he’s senile?
    I think it's any basic grasping at straws thing that will make their audience go "did you hear, Biden did X?! Man, that's just feeding into our narrative that he's senile/incompetent/corrupt/whatever" that the GOP has to constantly spoon feed just so the utter lack of controversy surrounding the Biden presidency compared the bullshit they put up with Trump doesn't actually dawn on said audience.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I think it's any basic grasping at straws thing that will make their audience go "did you hear, Biden did X?! Man, that's just feeding into our narrative that he's senile/incompetent/corrupt/whatever" that the GOP has to constantly spoon feed just so the utter lack of controversy surrounding the Biden presidency compared the bullshit they put up with Trump doesn't actually dawn on said audience.
    If the audience actually found out that Biden's lowest approval rating (45.9% per 538 polling) is still higher than Trump's best (44.5%) they'd lose their minds. So folks at Fox and OAN need to keep stirring up non-starters as some world ending disaster.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    If the audience actually found out that Biden's lowest approval rating (45.9% per 538 polling) is still higher than Trump's best (44.5%) they'd lose their minds. So folks at Fox and OAN need to keep stirring up non-starters as some world ending disaster.
    Nah they'd just call it fake news.

Or, perhaps their more recent take as per democracy, "the majority isn't always right"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    That is some Dijon mustard/coffee-cup-salute level villainy right there.
    /s

bidens drill baby drill approach to climate change doesn't seem all that smart.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    bidens drill baby drill approach to climate change doesn't seem all that smart.
    He was also pro fracking for the Pa vote...