1. #11261
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It’s like you can’t acknowledge that Democrats tried and failed to obtain the votes for certain large agenda items. Manchin and Sinema are symptoms of the country rejecting your favored plans. Hell, if you inveigh against the common man, certainly West Virginia and Arizona qualify, no big bastions of the elites you so foolishly focus on.
    this strategy of talking past people and not registering what they are saying is not doing you the favors you think it does. but I guess the goal here is for you to maintain this illusion that your side has both the backing of the general population and has AN AGANDA at all. but you use the worst possibly examples of this, it's so fucking hilarious how desperate you are lmao.

    yeah dude, the senator from a deeply red state and the openly corrupt one that's being threatened by her own state to get with the program is a sign that the country rejects the center left agenda of doing the bare minimum of holding this country together to keep functioning as a modern society. that's how delusional you're acting. just ignore that you lost the presidency, lost the house, and lost the majority in the senate. this isn't an argument in favor of the strength of the democrats but pointing out how Trumpism got rejected across the board.

    but I guess this is all in service of trying to throw a blanket over the elephant in the room that you and other Trump voters have no interest in running a democracy.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2021-10-02 at 04:47 AM.

  2. #11262
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    422
    One interesting and potentially huge thing to keep an eye on are foreign relation status with Turkey. Erdogan has been going very nationalistic and neo-Ottoman Empire trend for a few years now. Erdogan even reportedly crumpled up and threw away a letter from Trump a couple years ago asking him to stand down vs. the Kurds. There was also their direct help to Azerbaijan in the war with Armenia, and of course the S-400 purchase. Turkey has also threatened and locked on military jets from NATO members Greece and Italy in recent years. So it's been a mess for quite a while.

    But that cranked up a notch this week. Erdogan was in NY for the recent UN conference and asked to meet with Biden. For whatever reason, scheduling issues, higher priority things going on, or purposely snubbing him for their activity above, they told him they couldn't meet but that they'd meet him in late October at the G20. Erdogan was infuriated, bashed the US, and immediately went to Putin where they made a vague but wide-reaching agreement to purchase more S-400s (an act that could result in them being officially expelled from NATO), and more importantly to work together on rockets, submarines, military aircraft, etc.

    Basically he's playing both sides between Russia and the US/NATO, saying who will give me more. Not exactly a reliable NATO ally. It's unfortunate because Turkey does have a vast industry for making weapons domestically, they are great fighters, and strategically Turkey has been critical for thousands of years. But they writing has been on the wall for a while with them. They've also been designing their own domestic fighter jet for a few years as an alternative to the F-35, which many view as being done to prepare to leave NATO.

    So it's a complex issue that is kind of no-win for the US and Biden. Appease Turkey and it's saying their behavior is ok. Take a tougher line and Turkey runs to Russia with their hands out. It is something to keep an eye on and a challenge for Biden to try to both keep Turkey in the NATO fold, but also have them behave like a NATO member. It's also critical for Armenia since Russia's promise to protect Armenia is literally the only thing keeping Turkey and Azerbaijan from invading and wiping them out, the war last year showed CSTO states will follow Russia's lead. Putin wants to pull Erdogan in badly, and I worry about a WW2 Poland type scenario for Armenia where 2 larger countries that have had a contentious past sacrifice a smaller country in the middle in the name of the bigger picture.

    Trump had no success with Turkey and was basically mocked by Erdogan, so this isn't a bash-Biden post. It's more just pointing out what a complex issue it is and that it's one to keep an eye on.
    Last edited by Biglog; 2021-10-02 at 04:32 PM.

  3. #11263
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    *snip*
    Turkey won't leave NATO and NATO won't kick it out either.

    The mutual benefits are just too great. This snub this and snub that, making deal with one side, then giving a carrot to the other is going on for a decade and it does pay off actually. Turkey is pretty much untouchable, in-between being on EU payroll with a refugee blackmail and it being strategically well placed and packing as well - everyone wants to be friends or at least to make sure not to break up completely.

    I'm not a fan of Erdogan, but he's really good at this. He gets a lot out of this tension.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  4. #11264
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    The only reason it would come to a "divorce" is because conservatives have a "my way or the highway" attitude when it comes to governing. From the Civil War to the Jan 6th Yokel Haram insurrection, you can always count on "the little guy"** to throw an incredible temper tantrum when they begin to lose power. Because that's all that really matters to them, not the well-being of Americans. If they did care, they'd simply try to win votes by making a popular political platform rather than trying to keep people from voting, or drawing imaginary lines through six different counties to form a district favorable to Republicans, or outright insurrection after losing a Federal election.

    And I have to say, reading you try to paint the power structure of the Senate as a "little guy"** vs the "elites" scenario and then see you go on to use the term "left-wing ideologues" made me laugh irl. It takes a serious commitment to a certain worldview to argue that congress is an ideological representation of the United States in one post, and then argue the power structure of the Senate is the only thing keeping the left from bullying "the little guy"** around in the next post.

    Also, I think you may want to see which states end up paying the lion's share of Federal taxes and which states receive those taxes in funding before making flippant comments about redistribution via taxes.

    **Real Americans, Patriots, white Anglo-Saxon protestant males, or whatever other populist cliche conservative blowhards like to use these days.
    Your "my way or the highway" is my "if you keep losing elections, and complain you lost unfairly, then work on winning elections."

    Blaming the system for your losses is plain whining. Blaming the current compromise between big states bossing around small states on slavery is missing the entire picture. Democratic ideology became the dominant player in big cities and coasts, and they've become incredibly uncompetitive among the working class, both since Obama and since the 90s. So if you wanna run the country, run on a message that appeals to the country.

    And please don't forget that there's a part of Congress where your "states end up paying the lion's share of Federal taxes" rules supreme. That's the House of Representatives. All spending bills originate there. Welcome to the mechanism for which the states that control the majority of taxes have a larger say in where they go (and it isn't my problem that big states like Texas and Florida in terms of contributing tax revenue haven't being going Democrats way. That would be the Democrat message, once again.)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Yeah. That's what I thought.

    Thanks for admitting that you have no defense for your position.
    13 notifications and 8+ responses to initial posts in a thread that isn't titled the "tehdang Lovefest."

    The posts started out on intimately related Biden/Harris stuff, like why Democrats are having trouble passing big bills through Congress. Tracking tangents from here led to accusations on hypocrisy on Jan 6 and Puerto Rican statehood and accusations of hypocrisy related to that. I'm not incredibly interested in following every left winger down the trails as they twist through each subject, and particularly not to the classic "Ha! No response! Proof that you have no defense for your position!" kinda shitposter angle. It just craps up the thread and makes it about poster personalities and stupid internet dunks.

    On actual topic:
    Sinema left DC after Pelosi cancelled the House vote she promised to hold. Her statement has been released
    https://twitter.com/SenatorSinema/st...743237636?s=20
    ...What Americans have seen instead is an ineffective stunt to gain leverage over a separate proposal. My vote belongs to Arizona, and I do not trade my vote for political favors ...

    Congress was designed as a place where representatives of Americans with valid and diverse views find compromise and common ground. That is why, when President Biden asked me to continue bipartisan infrastructure negotiations, I agreed and helped deliver the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act ...

    Good-faith negotiations, however, require trust. Over the course of this year, Democratic leaders have made conflicting promises that could not all be kept -- and have, at times, pretended that differences of opinion within our party did not exist, even when those disagreements were repeatedly made clear directly and publicly. Canceling the infrastructure vote further erodes that trust
    Well composed and written by her team. Biden made a big celebratory event after striking the bipartisan deal.

    Anybody remember June 24th still?

    He then intimated that he expected both bills to pass simultaneously. When signers to the compromise balked, he withdrew that. The same dithering continues today. I love the sweet sweet irony of the Biden team whipping against his own bill.
    “The fact that the president came to the Hill and whipped against his own bill is the strangest thing I’ve ever seen.”

    That late-night observation was just one of many we heard from frustrated lawmakers and senior aides stunned by what happened in the House on Friday.

    — What senior Dems thought was going to happen: President JOE BIDEN was coming to the Hill to support Speaker NANCY PELOSI’s efforts to rally the party behind his historic $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure plan ahead of a Friday vote.

    — What ended up happening instead: Biden told them he wanted to hold off on BIF until there was a reconciliation deal — even if that means delaying the vote for several more days or even weeks.
    Politico
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  5. #11265
    Quote Originally Posted by drtawurst View Post
    I think Erdogan is into murdering kids just as much as you zionist twats, can't see why you wouldn't be totally into him as a fellow degenerate anti-humanitarian ethnic supremacist.
    Awwww someone is putting his white hood back on.

  6. #11266
    Legendary! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    6,650
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I'm not incredibly interested in following every left winger down the trails as they twist through each subject, and particularly not to the classic "Ha! No response! Proof that you have no defense for your position!" kinda shitposter angle.
    That argument might hold more weight if it weren't for the fact that you responded to it initially to call it "hilarious" before you chickened out and ran.


    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It just craps up the thread and makes it about poster personalities and stupid internet dunks.
    Thank you for agreeing that your laugh-and-run was a shitpost and an attempted stupid internet dunk.

    And again, you clearly have no defense. Here's a hint: if you don't have a defense to your position that's not "I'm just desperate to maintain my party's declining relevance!", then don't even bother responding to it in the first place.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  7. #11267
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,406
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Your "my way or the highway" is my "if you keep losing elections, and complain you lost unfairly, then work on winning elections."

    Blaming the system for your losses is plain whining. Blaming the current compromise between big states bossing around small states on slavery is missing the entire picture. Democratic ideology became the dominant player in big cities and coasts, and they've become incredibly uncompetitive among the working class, both since Obama and since the 90s. So if you wanna run the country, run on a message that appeals to the country.
    "Democratic ideology" is so unpopular with the working class that it won over the rust belt and flipped Arizona and Georgia resulting in the largest hissy fit thrown by adults since the election of Abraham Lincoln. If American conservatism was so popular with the "working class" and the country, Republican state legislators wouldn't have responded to the 2020 election with bills that limit people's ability to vote. Every sentence of your argument is absurd from top to bottom.

    And please don't forget that there's a part of Congress where your "states end up paying the lion's share of Federal taxes" rules supreme. That's the House of Representatives. All spending bills originate there. Welcome to the mechanism for which the states that control the majority of taxes have a larger say in where they go (and it isn't my problem that big states like Texas and Florida in terms of contributing tax revenue haven't being going Democrats way. That would be the Democrat message, once again.)
    Yeah, sorry but NY and Cali spend the most in federal taxes, not Texas and Florida. And where the tax money goes is not a problem because Democrats don't mind helping those in need. You're the one who brought up redistribution like it's the big cities taking from the "little guy," not me.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #11268
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Yeah, sorry but NY and Cali spend the most in federal taxes, not Texas and Florida. And where the tax money goes is not a problem because Democrats don't mind helping those in need. You're the one who brought up redistribution like it's the big cities taking from the "little guy," not me.
    Just wanted to reinforce this part of your statement with this:



    California alone pays just 16 billion less in federal taxes than Texas and Florida do combined. Add in New York and it's 125 billion tilted heavily in favor of the two Democratic controlled states.

    https://www.moneyrates.com/research-...s-by-state.htm
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  9. #11269
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    33,170
    I feel this is a bad year to talk about donor/recipient states, on account of the federal government giving out a shitton of aid and also everyone being unemployed in 2020.

  10. #11270
    The majority of people haven't been on republican's side for decades. The only reason republicans have had any significant levels of power is because the game is rigged in their favor. Even when you look at their supporters, it becomes immediately clear that they only have that support because of lies and conspiracies. Ask any republican/Trump supporter why they won't vote for a democrat and it's virtually guaranteed their answer is going to be based off of something that isn't true.

  11. #11271
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I feel this is a bad year to talk about donor/recipient states, on account of the federal government giving out a shitton of aid and also everyone being unemployed in 2020.
    I might have been inclined to agree had a troll not tried to imply that Texas and Florida's taxpaying capabilities means they have more say than other states. Also, both states have killed off thousands of their taxpayers.

  12. #11272
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    "Democratic ideology" is so unpopular with the working class that it won over the rust belt and flipped Arizona and Georgia resulting in the largest hissy fit thrown by adults since the election of Abraham Lincoln. If American conservatism was so popular with the "working class" and the country, Republican state legislators wouldn't have responded to the 2020 election with bills that limit people's ability to vote. Every sentence of your argument is absurd from top to bottom.



    Yeah, sorry but NY and Cali spend the most in federal taxes, not Texas and Florida. And where the tax money goes is not a problem because Democrats don't mind helping those in need. You're the one who brought up redistribution like it's the big cities taking from the "little guy," not me.

    LOL i am sure NY and CA would love to have the per capita federal funding levels of a lot of other states. Imagine how much lower their income/sales/property tax rates would be if they had something in the ballpark of those states.

    Net federal funding for CA is something below 100 dollars per capita and some years its negative. NY its negative most years around -1000 to -2000 per capita.

    Florida is around +2000-3000 per capita. Texas is better around 700-1200 per capita

    Can you imagine CA had just 600 dollars more. That would be what, 28,000,000,000 extra to spend or reduce taxes a year.
    Imagine NY just broke even? That would be what 22-25 billion dollars? 30+ if they got 700.

    Now imagine they got FL levels. Oh lord.


    Not sure where those tax #'s come from since NY claims in 2019 it paid $265B in federal taxes. Maybe you are just looking at income tax?
    CA- $465b
    TX- $270b
    NY- $265b
    FL- $204b

    https://www.osc.state.ny.us/reports/...scal-year-2019

    https://rockinst.org/issue-area/bala...payments-2021/ -give more detailed look and 5 year trends.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  13. #11273
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Sinema left DC after Pelosi cancelled the House vote she promised to hold. Her statement has been released
    https://twitter.com/SenatorSinema/st...743237636?s=20

    Well composed and written by her team. Biden made a big celebratory event after striking the bipartisan deal.

    Anybody remember June 24th still?

    He then intimated that he expected both bills to pass simultaneously. When signers to the compromise balked, he withdrew that. The same dithering continues today. I love the sweet sweet irony of the Biden team whipping against his own bill.

    Politico
    This is just whistling past the graveyard now since it affirms everything I said previously, while you keep shifting your way overconfident claims. Also LOL shorter Sinema: You guys preventing me from screwing you is really breaking trust over here. P.S. Sinema went home for yet another fundaraiser. Le shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    Until then, I honestly don't care about anything else much. Until then it can all burn down to the ground for all I care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Yeah, I think it's fair to conclude that "Fuck the poor" "Arch-angel of Riots" is just in it with the hope of inflicting maximum harm for maximum chaos, and since they've shown no particular attachment to any guiding moral, ideological, or political principle, it seems to be for the sake of maximum fun.

  14. #11274
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    "Democratic ideology" is so unpopular with the working class that it won over the rust belt and flipped Arizona and Georgia resulting in the largest hissy fit thrown by adults since the election of Abraham Lincoln. If American conservatism was so popular with the "working class" and the country, Republican state legislators wouldn't have responded to the 2020 election with bills that limit people's ability to vote. Every sentence of your argument is absurd from top to bottom.
    It won over the rust belt so well that ... Dems flipped zero House seats and zero Senate seats in the rust belt. Remember, Congressional Republicans ran in advance of Trump. That's what made the hissy fit dumb from the start -- the 2020 election gave Republicans victories down-ticket, and a loss at the top of the ticket.

    Yeah, sorry but NY and Cali spend the most in federal taxes, not Texas and Florida. And where the tax money goes is not a problem because Democrats don't mind helping those in need. You're the one who brought up redistribution like it's the big cities taking from the "little guy," not me.
    They're an inconvenient example about wanting the big states to exercise more power than they do currently. You wouldn't have this problem if you'd weren't splitting the top five states in the country.

    Dems don't mind taking money from people and giving it to people. They assume some they help are people in need, but the amount of waste and abuse in the system shows they just like spending the money; needy be damned.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  15. #11275
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It won over the rust belt so well that ... Dems flipped zero House seats and zero Senate seats in the rust belt. Remember, Congressional Republicans ran in advance of Trump. That's what made the hissy fit dumb from the start -- the 2020 election gave Republicans victories down-ticket, and a loss at the top of the ticket.


    They're an inconvenient example about wanting the big states to exercise more power than they do currently. You wouldn't have this problem if you'd weren't splitting the top five states in the country.

    Dems don't mind taking money from people and giving it to people. They assume some they help are people in need, but the amount of waste and abuse in the system shows they just like spending the money; needy be damned.
    I can't believe people actually buy this shit, like the Democrats' play here is to pretend to care about people in need to win over Big Poor--literally the most marginalized and reviled and least powerful--by taking money from the people who revile them (the people who do most of the voting and campaign donating) and giving it to the (significantly less likely to vote) poors, but badly, and for sport, because they don't actually care about them. The conserva-sphere is a helluva drug.

    Anyway, this post is about Republican hatred for democracy:

    "Finally, consider the nuclear option: State legislatures may attempt to hand their electoral votes to a Republican even if a Democrat carries the state. That’s what Jeffrey Bossert Clark asked the Georgia legislature to do, after all—it is no longer possible to dismiss as quixotic. The doctrinal underpinnings of such a coup have already drawn support from four conservative justices who seek to give legislatures sweeping power over elections. If legislatures start deciding presidential elections themselves, Republican control over the presidency may become permanent. The courts will only grow more conservative and uphold more draconian voter suppression tactics. And the country will be trapped in the loop of counter-majoritarianism that enables laws like S.B. 8. Just wait and see how upset voters get about the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade—and then watch how impossible it is for them to actually do anything about it. You can’t out-organize this push."

    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...u-hate-it.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    Until then, I honestly don't care about anything else much. Until then it can all burn down to the ground for all I care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Yeah, I think it's fair to conclude that "Fuck the poor" "Arch-angel of Riots" is just in it with the hope of inflicting maximum harm for maximum chaos, and since they've shown no particular attachment to any guiding moral, ideological, or political principle, it seems to be for the sake of maximum fun.

  16. #11276
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,406
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It won over the rust belt so well that ... Dems flipped zero House seats and zero Senate seats in the rust belt. Remember, Congressional Republicans ran in advance of Trump. That's what made the hissy fit dumb from the start -- the 2020 election gave Republicans victories down-ticket, and a loss at the top of the ticket.
    I'll link it over and over again until it sinks in, I don't mind.


    They're an inconvenient example about wanting the big states to exercise more power than they do currently. You wouldn't have this problem if you'd weren't splitting the top five states in the country.
    States exercising power relative to the number of people that live in them? Well whatever next!

    Dems don't mind taking money from people and giving it to people. They assume some they help are people in need, but the amount of waste and abuse in the system shows they just like spending the money; needy be damned.
    As opposed to Republicans that keep taxes lower for the uber-wealthy and provide routine bailouts for corporations during crises, but refuses to pass an infrastructure bill for purely partisan reasons? Republicans are more than fine with abuse and waste as long as their corporate donors are shielded from regulation and tax hikes.
    Last edited by downnola; 2021-10-04 at 02:44 PM.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #11277
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    33,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I can't believe people actually buy this shit
    I don't think they do. I think it's what they tell themselves just before they vote against their own self-interests. "The Democrats hate the poor," they say as they're about to give more money to the CEOs who barely pay minimum wage, "at least the Republicans are honest about not caring about me or my objectively lacking needs."

  18. #11278
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I can't believe people actually buy this shit, like the Democrats' play here is to pretend to care about people in need to win over Big Poor--literally the most marginalized and reviled and least powerful--by taking money from the people who revile them (the people who do most of the voting and campaign donating) and giving it to the (significantly less likely to vote) poors, but badly, and for sport, because they don't actually care about them. The conserva-sphere is a helluva drug.

    Anyway, this post is about Republican hatred for democracy:

    "Finally, consider the nuclear option: State legislatures may attempt to hand their electoral votes to a Republican even if a Democrat carries the state. That’s what Jeffrey Bossert Clark asked the Georgia legislature to do, after all—it is no longer possible to dismiss as quixotic. The doctrinal underpinnings of such a coup have already drawn support from four conservative justices who seek to give legislatures sweeping power over elections. If legislatures start deciding presidential elections themselves, Republican control over the presidency may become permanent. The courts will only grow more conservative and uphold more draconian voter suppression tactics. And the country will be trapped in the loop of counter-majoritarianism that enables laws like S.B. 8. Just wait and see how upset voters get about the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade—and then watch how impossible it is for them to actually do anything about it. You can’t out-organize this push."

    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...u-hate-it.html
    I gotta come right back and ask you, “Do people really believe the ‘doctrinal underpinnings of such a coup have already drawn support from four conservative justices who seek to give legislatures sweeping power over elections,’ or are they really just rolling their eyes about another Slate piece going for the clicks.

    Conservative judge makes obvious ruling in an election law case, and some unhinged left winger thinks they now lend aid to legislatures rewriting state electoral vote law to give the loser all the electoral votes. It’s fear porn and it’s a little concerning seeing it linked.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    I'll link it over and over again until it sinks in, I don't mind.
    I really don’t mind bringing up MD-3 either.

    States exercising power relative to the number of people that live in them? Well whatever next!
    I really thought sticking up for the little guy having a voice mattered in terms of government to people like you. Apparently, it should only be a token objection and not something that could doom non-bipartisan spending bills.


    As opposed to Republicans that keep taxes lower for the uber-wealthy and provide routine bailouts for corporations during crises, but refuses to pass an infrastructure bill for purely partisan reasons? Republicans are more than fine with abuse and waste as long as their corporate donors are shielded from regulation and tax hikes.
    Hilarious that the current push with Democratic control involves tax cuts overwhelmingly for the rich in SALT deduction raises, and more sin taxes on tobacco and vapes that primarily hurt the poor.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  19. #11279
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    69,913
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I really thought sticking up for the little guy having a voice mattered in terms of government to people like you. Apparently, it should only be a token objection and not something that could doom non-bipartisan spending bills.
    In this context, you're not the one standing up for "the little guy".

    Everyone's voice should be heard, and given equal consideration. And that's not how the American electoral process currently works. It significantly devalues the voices of some, and gives undue prevalence and weight to others. You are the one arguing for that system, here.

    You're demanding that those with outsize representation continue to have said unwarranted prevalence in politics. Levelfive and those making similar arguments are standing up for "the little guys" with reduced electoral voice, trying to see them treated fairly and equitably at the ballot box.

    This frightens you, of course, because there's so many more of the "little guys", and you know what that'll mean, politically. You're literally arguing for suppression of the majority by the minority, here. And that said suppression of the "little guys" is how things "should be".


  20. #11280
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I gotta come right back and ask you, “Do people really believe the ‘doctrinal underpinnings of such a coup have already drawn support from four conservative justices who seek to give legislatures sweeping power over elections,’ or are they really just rolling their eyes about another Slate piece going for the clicks.

    Conservative judge makes obvious ruling in an election law case, and some unhinged left winger thinks they now lend aid to legislatures rewriting state electoral vote law to give the loser all the electoral votes. It’s fear porn and it’s a little concerning seeing it linked.
    Lol what? as they say: "Here, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court found that its state Constitution protects voters whose ballots arrive up to three days late through no fault of their own. The federal judiciary has no power to overturn this reading of the law.

    Pennsylvania Republicans appealed the court’s decision anyway. They presented two alarming arguments. First, Republicans claimed that the court’s rule would violate federal statutes establishing a nationwide Election Day. Second, they alleged that the court had infringed upon the Pennsylvania General Assembly’s authority over federal elections. The first argument is nonsense that would suppress a huge number of votes in 18 states and the District of Columbia. But it is a modest proposal in comparison to the second argument, which would give state legislatures free rein to suppress the franchise with impunity.

    Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, and Brett Kavanaugh dissented from Monday’s order, noting that they would have blocked the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s decision. They did not explain why, but we can assume that they agreed with one or both of these claims. If a new challenge comes before the court, the justices may well use it to crush state safeguards protecting Americans’ right to vote in free and fair elections."

    Are you also one of those people pretending there wasn't an insurrection because it was "a few incompetent yahoos who failed"?

    Anyway, now you, since you deflected--do you actually buy the whole 'Democrats don't care about people, they just like spending money' goofiness or does it just make you feel less guilty about voting for white nationalist sociopaths?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I don't think they do. I think it's what they tell themselves just before they vote against their own self-interests. "The Democrats hate the poor," they say as they're about to give more money to the CEOs who barely pay minimum wage, "at least the Republicans are honest about not caring about me or my objectively lacking needs."
    You're 100% right, and I should know better:

    "Democrats should try campaigning on the truth: The Republican Party is controlled by intelligent, college-educated, and affluent elites who concoct dangerous nonsense to paper over a bigoted, plutocratic agenda and to justify attacks on the democratic process. That agenda and those attacks are supported by millions of reasonably intelligent voters who will believe or claim to believe anything that furthers the objective of keeping conservatives in control of this country forever. Simply pointing to figures like Greene and hoping the indignation of college graduates will do the rest is a mistake. Instead, Democrats should present voters with a material choice between a party that has nothing to offer the majority of Americans but abuse and conspiratorial flimflam and a party committed to building a democracy and an economy that work for all." https://newrepublic.com/article/1612...-taylor-greene
    Last edited by Levelfive; 2021-10-04 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    Until then, I honestly don't care about anything else much. Until then it can all burn down to the ground for all I care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Yeah, I think it's fair to conclude that "Fuck the poor" "Arch-angel of Riots" is just in it with the hope of inflicting maximum harm for maximum chaos, and since they've shown no particular attachment to any guiding moral, ideological, or political principle, it seems to be for the sake of maximum fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •