10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    While I'm not defending slavery at all, I will note that this would have been very out of character for George Washington. By all accounts he treated his slaves relatively well (for slaves, anyway; he was still baffled why they kept trying to run away, and offered bounties for their return when they did), and if anything he was looking for a way to have fewer slaves, not more (but mostly for the economic reason that having to feed and clothe and otherwise caring for one's slaves for their entire lives made them a poor investment over time).
    Frankly, this is kind of like saying someone was a "decent Nazi, he only named his Jewish neighbours to the SS so he could buy their land for cheap, and didn't actually hit the "gas" button on the death showers".

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Frankly, this is kind of like saying someone was a "decent Nazi, he only named his Jewish neighbours to the SS so he could buy their land for cheap, and didn't actually hit the "gas" button on the death showers".
    I feel like the Nazi comparison here is really disingenuous; while I get your point that yeah, slavery was still awful even if Washington wasn't raping his slaves, the immediate Godwin doesn't really contribute to the discussion so much as just shut it straight down from the get-go by forcing people to qualify whether slavery was better or worse than the Nazis.

(Of course, this is also pretty tangential to the thread, so I'm also happy to just not continue in this direction regardless).
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-12-22 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I feel like the Nazi comparison here is really disingenuous; while I get your point that yeah, slavery was still awful even if Washington wasn't raping his slaves, the immediate Godwin doesn't really contribute to the discussion so much as just shut it straight down from the get-go by forcing people to qualify whether slavery was better or worse than the Nazis.
    You're the one defending a violent, abusive slaver. Americans tend to gloss over the absolutely indefensible human rights horror shows that early America was fundamentally built upon. Very few of the Founding Fathers deserve any real respect, and Washington's not among those few.

If someone came into a thread and said "not to defend the Holocaust, but Nazi policies revitalized German patriotism and their economy so maybe we should talk about the good stuff the Nazis did", you'd probably argue that was a shitty bit of Nazi apologism, right?
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-12-22 at 06:03 PM.

If someone came into a thread and said "not to defend the Holocaust, but Nazi policies revitalized German patriotism and their economy so maybe we should talk about the good stuff the Nazis did", you'd probably argue that was a shitty bit of Nazi apologism, right?
    I mean, if they did that completely apropos of nothing? Yeah. But here I was correcting a specific factual inaccuracy. "George Washington probably got drunk and raped his slaves to make more" versus "no, he almost certainly didn't and here's the historical context why."

As you've often said, spreading falsehoods just because they agree with a good point doesn't help the point.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-12-22 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I now envision George Washington as a closet alcoholic projecting his shame over it onto his dogs.
    You're not far off, but Washington wasn't exactly closeted about it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/geor...itution-2018-9

https://www.cracked.com/article_2270...lks-about.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Dude went from a dozen or so to over 100 he personally owned and around 200 he “managed” for other people.
    I will note that a sizable portion of the slaves he "personally" owned were part of his wife's dowry, and as such technically belonged to her children from her first marriage (a distinction that is admittedly mostly only relevant with regards to the laws at the time).

Not really shining example of abolitionism.
    Definitely not. He failed hard on that one, mostly spending the latter half of his life with an attitude of "slavery is kind of bad, but I don't really see that there's much I could do about it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if Biden will make a secret Christmas visit to the troops in Afghanistan this year. Oh wait, he brought them all home.

Quote Originally Posted by PfeffermintShake View Post
    I wonder if Biden will make a secret Christmas visit to the troops in Afghanistan this year. Oh wait, he brought them all home.
    Don't worry, if someone has a say about it, they will whine about the 13 soldiers that were killed because of Trump's fucking plan that Biden executed.

I love the fake outrage of the media when it comes to Biden agreeing to Let's Go Brandon. So it's okay for them to fawn all over a woman giving the finger to Trump as he rides by in his motorcade, but it's sacrilegious for a guy to say let's go Brandon to Joe Biden. And why did his wife laugh after it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    I love the fake outrage of the media when it comes to Biden agreeing to Let's Go Brandon. So it's okay for them to fawn all over a woman giving the finger to Trump as he rides by in his motorcade, but it's sacrilegious for a guy to say let's go Brandon to Joe Biden. And why did his wife laugh after it?
    Where is this media outrage, again? Is this some new talking point pushed by Fox News?

Sounds like fake outrage over nonexistent outrage to me.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Haven't seen much "outrage", where is this? I mean, many are pointing out how juvenile that was in the context of what the phone call was and all. Though not surprised to see you strawman out the biker lady and completely ignore the context around that incident, including that she lost her job over it.

But hey, I guess y'all always gotta find out a way to spin a situation so that conservatives are somehow the victim or something.

Outrage? What outrage?.......Oh you mean people laughing at the new childish phrase from zealots with the same IQ as the dollars they spent buying their red hats.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Just making "fake outrage" just to complain about fake outrage...and post about...nothing in particular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Haven't seen much "outrage", where is this? I mean, many are pointing out how juvenile that was in the context of what the phone call was and all. Though not surprised to see you strawman out the biker lady and completely ignore the context around that incident, including that she lost her job over it.

But hey, I guess y'all always gotta find out a way to spin a situation so that conservatives are somehow the victim or something.
    I just can't imagine being so completely chickenshit you won't just come out and say "Fuck Joe Biden", if that's what you mean.

Fuck Joe Biden. See? It's not hard. Nobody gives a shit. And yet, people are such fucking cowards they're gonna dogwhistle it and pretend they're being sneaky.

I just can't imagine being so completely chickenshit you won't just come out and say "Fuck Joe Biden", if that's what you mean.

Fuck Joe Biden. See? It's not hard. Nobody gives a shit. And yet, people are such fucking cowards they're gonna dogwhistle it and pretend they're being sneaky.
    Some aren't even that sneaky, I've seen a couple houses with me put up "Let's Go Brandon" flags on their houses. They actually spent $30+ on a China made flag that shows a child's motto. Hell, one of those also has a Trump 2024 flag and I can only assume every outlet in their house have covers to keep them safe.

There's no outrage.

What' funny is the spineless shitheads who cant say "Fuck Joe Biden" and have to say "Lets Go" cause instead. I laugh at those pathetic people. I'm guessing there might be some in MMO-Champ, posting on these forums.

As for the dude beside being a spineless fuck, Biden was offering Xmas cheer to the kid. Says more about the dad. Also idk where my politics lie, Biden is an old, codger who is boring and people thinking he is the coming of Lenin or something is effin insane. If Biden tries any fascism or overthrow the an election in 2024, we can talk.

- - - Updated - - -

They are simple children who think they are cute. They are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Some aren't even that sneaky, I've seen a couple houses with me put up "Let's Go Brandon" flags on their houses. They actually spent $30+ on a China made flag that shows a child's motto. Hell, one of those also has a Trump 2024 flag and I can only assume every outlet in their house have covers to keep them safe.
    Grifters gonna grift.

I did a google search of "fuck Trump". Look at images and they are almost all hand made. I give the Left credit, in at least they are not dumb enough to buy stupid shit, to feed some grifters.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Grifters gonna grift.

I did a google search of "fuck Trump". Look at images and they are almost all hand made. I give the Left credit, in at least they are not dumb enough to buy stupid shit, to feed some grifters.
    I mean, it's pretty easy to say "fuck Trump" for free. I don't think people on the left are going to rush out and buy/wear merchandise like they're joining a Fuck Trump group because people on the left are unlikely to have much interest in forming or joining an organized Fuck Trump group.

In fact, the closest thing I can think of to a Fuck Trump group would be the Never Trumpers. And that was, predictably, created by people on the right.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Nobody cares about “let’s go Brandon” outside of how hilariously stupid it is.

First, someone just hearing it has no idea that’s it’s 1) about joe Biden 2) that it’s even asserting anything negative 3) what that negative assertion even is

So it fails as a “stick-it to the man rallying cry” right out the gate.

It’s like so many other attempts at conservative wit, in that it fails at being witty or subversive even in the slightest.

Don’t be surprised if this goes exactly the route as “thanks Obama.” It started as a conservative complaint meme blaming Obama for whatever and evolved into to a mockery of the people trying to blame Obama for all their petty problems.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    No.

Nobody cares about “let’s go Brandon” outside of how hilariously stupid it is.

First, someone just hearing it has no idea that’s it’s 1) about joe Biden 2) that it’s even asserting anything negative 3) what that negative assertion even is

So it fails as a “stick-it to the man rallying cry” right out the gate.

It’s like so many other attempts at conservative wit, in that it fails at being witty or subversive even in the slightest.

Don’t be surprised if this goes exactly the route as “thanks Obama.” It started as a conservative complaint meme blaming Obama for whatever and evolved into to a mockery of the people trying to blame Obama for all their petty problems.
    Right because they never chant Fuck Joe Biden at multiple sporting events. The best part of the let's go brandon is that it trolls the media at the same time. The fact that you think people who go to an obscure game forum to whine about politics have never heard of people making fun of their Joe Biden this way is laughable.

There is outrage from the talking head media types who are triggered by everything. You guys leave out one of the most obvious arguments that could be made.... Joe Biden did it on purpose, because at times, Joe Biden means to say funny shit. Sometimes he gets things wrong, sometimes it appears he is lost. But other times, Joe Biden knows exactly what he is doing. None of you addressed why Jill Biden laughed, you could easily argue it was a pre planned joke response. Well, I can argue that. The people who fake outrage daily here didn't even think about it. I asked why Jill Biden laughed and none of you could or would answer it, just usual partisan defense.

The best part of the let's go brandon is that it trolls the media at the same time.
    It's cute you think that it does that.

There is outrage from the talking head media types who are triggered by everything.
    There isn't.

You guys leave out one of the most obvious arguments that could be made.... Joe Biden did it on purpose, because at times, Joe Biden means to say funny shit. Sometimes he gets things wrong, sometimes it appears he is lost. But other times, Joe Biden knows exactly what he is doing. None of you addressed why Jill Biden laughed, you could easily argue it was a pre planned joke response. Well, I can argue that. The people who fake outrage daily here didn't even think about it. I asked why Jill Biden laughed and none of you could or would answer it, just usual partisan defense.
    You've created a small conspiracy about something that doesn't matter. The real question is why you care.