.JoeBiden
    said today high gas prices are part of an "incredible transition" the country is going through toward green energy. Will Biden lead the way for the revolution in electricity generation needed to power an electric vehicle fleet?

Jeez Biden and Dems. Trying to give us the narrative of "you only need to suffer a little more, until we get clean energy" is not a good narrative.

As usual this is the passive, aggressive response of Dems about alternative energy sources. The tweet is from Fox News', John Roberts so read most of the comments. It's the usual climate deniers with surprisingly now (maybe they are bots) "Our electric grid and infrastructure can't handle it!" Gee if we only did a Build Back Better bill and honestly waaaaay more infrastructure we should have done a loooooong time ago.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Jeez Biden and Dems. Trying to give us the narrative of "you only need to suffer a little more, until we get clean energy" is not a good narrative.
    To be fair the transition was never going to be painless. The timing might have been better. His words aren't likely for..us. They're probably for opec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    .JoeBiden
    said today high gas prices are part of an "incredible transition" the country is going through toward green energy. Will Biden lead the way for the revolution in electricity generation needed to power an electric vehicle fleet?

As usual this is the passive, aggressive response of Dems about alternative energy sources. The tweet is from Fox News', John Roberts so read most of the comments. It's the usual climate deniers with surprisingly now (maybe they are bots) "Our electric grid and infrastructure can't handle it!" Gee if we only did a Build Back Better bill and honestly waaaaay more infrastructure we should have done a loooooong time ago.
    Higher gas prices are an incentive to consumers to make better choices that move away from reliance on oil and gas.

If high gas prices push people to buy an electric vehicle rather than another gas-guzzling pickup, that's a good thing, overall. This is why things like solar often get subsidies; it makes them more cost-effective and encourages consumers to make better choices, not just cheaper choices.

Anyone blaming Biden for high gas prices, though, is a blithering idiot who could probably amuse themselves for hours playing with their toes. Gas prices are high globally, not just in the USA, so it's clearly not a Biden error, and anyone saying otherwise is either a gullible idiot or a propagandist speaking to said gullible idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Higher gas prices are an incentive to consumers to make better choices that move away from reliance on oil and gas.

If high gas prices push people to buy an electric vehicle rather than another gas-guzzling pickup, that's a good thing, overall. This is why things like solar often get subsidies; it makes them more cost-effective and encourages consumers to make better choices, not just cheaper choices.

Anyone blaming Biden for high gas prices, though, is a blithering idiot who could probably amuse themselves for hours playing with their toes. Gas prices are high globally, not just in the USA, so it's clearly not a Biden error, and anyone saying otherwise is either a gullible idiot or a propagandist speaking to said gullible idiots.
    Sucks for the majority of people who cannot afford to buy an electric vehicle, let alone any vehicle right now. Auto prices are up just as much as gas is.

We also need far more frequent charging stations, and more stations at each hub. If the masses made a huge shift to electric, I fear we simply cannot accommodate it. Especially in places where the ratio of Renters to Homeowners is nearly an even split or worse. At my apartment, I cannot charge my car. I would need to make plans to go out of my way, and extend my commute just to charge my car.

It is a future i'd like to see, we just aren't there atm.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Sucks for the majority of people who cannot afford to buy an electric vehicle, let alone any vehicle right now. Auto prices are up just as much as gas is.
    Do we want me to rant about how capitalism is awful and only benefits the uberwealthy some more?

This is a problem that goes way deeper than gas prices. It's a problem with an economic system predicated on leaving the majority of the workforce desperately struggling to keep their fiscal heads above water, where financial security is an unattainable carrot hung to ensure you keep running on the ratwheels that keep making money for the wealthy.

We also need far more frequent charging stations, and more stations at each hub. If the masses made a huge shift to electric, I fear we simply cannot accommodate it. Especially in places where the ratio of Renters to Homeowners is nearly an even split or worse. At my apartment, I cannot charge my car. I would need to make plans to go out of my way, and extend my commute just to charge my car.

It is a future i'd like to see, we just aren't there atm.
    See, this isn't a transition described as "technologically unfeasible", it's a transition denied because it's "not profitable enough for those who have all the money and power".

The issue with a lack of charging stations could be resolved in a handful of years, and that's being generous. It isn't that we don't have the technology; we do. It isn't that we don't have the money; we do. It's just that the money is buying 700-million-dollar yachts for megabillionaires who need an extra yacht just to hold their helicopters, rather than being used for anything that benefits society.

It's up there with issues like "global hunger" that could readily be solved with the wealth and distribution networks we already have in place, it's just not profitable for those with all the power to do so, so they don't.

We need to stop pretending these issues can't be solved, and start understanding that, as a society, we just don't want to solve them. And if that bothers you, you need to start understanding why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Biden veers of script on Taiwan. It's not the first time.

Offhand remarks that vary from the official talking points have become a feature of the Biden presidency, even as they leave his staff scrambling to spin them away afterward.

Maybe President Biden isn’t speaking off script after all. Maybe he just doesn’t think much of the script.

Offhand remarks that vary from the official talking points have become a feature, not a bug, of the Biden presidency, as he demonstrated again on Monday when he dispensed with decades of “strategic ambiguity” and indicated that he would militarily defend Taiwan against attack by China.

Each time he says what he really thinks, there is the ritual cleanup brigade dispatched by the White House to pretend that he did not really say what he clearly articulated — or that even if he did, it did not really amount to a change in policy. But then Mr. Biden, unperturbed and unapologetic, goes out and does it all over again.

His remarks on Taiwan on Monday were just the latest instance of a president saying out loud what is on his mind even if it leaves his staff scrambling to spin it away afterward. In March, he called President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia a war criminal (just his opinion, not a legal conclusion, aides quickly explained). Then days later, he ad-libbed at the end of a speech that Mr. Putin “cannot remain in power” (just an observation, they said, not a call for regime change).

None of this should come as much of a surprise to anyone who followed Mr. Biden’s nearly half-century career as a senator and vice president. For many years, under the definition of “gaffe” in the Washington political dictionary was a picture of Mr. Biden. “Gaffe machine,” in fact, was a common description, sometimes said with affection, sometimes with derision.
    Based Biden

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Based Biden
    Finally a president who calls it like he sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Decades of American leftist urban policy that no building could be made because bullshit made up reasons about preserving community or whatever and conservative idealization of single-family homes have left America extremely dependent on cars to move anywhere.

Higher gas prices affect most people because most people live in suburbs and drive an hour or so to work, do groceries and even the most basic of stuff.

Decades of American leftist urban policy that no building could be made because bullshit made up reasons about preserving community or whatever and conservative idealization of single-family homes have left America extremely dependent on cars to move anywhere.
    This is not remotely true for the source of our mandatory-car urban hellscape. You should look into the history of how automakers have aggressively lobbied to have a say in city planning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's a fascinating slice of complete and utter fiction.

The fascination with suburbia's been bipartisan. The first part is just complete nonsense. And again; the way out of shitty planning and policy is either to force it authoritatively, which I don't support, or to apply price pressures to encourage people to make the desired choices for themselves. Pretty standard policy work.

Higher gas prices affect most people because most people live in suburbs and drive an hour or so to work, do groceries and even the most basic of stuff.
    And suburbia is poison. An hour+ commute is poison for the soul, and if you're not being paid for that time, it's also exploitative abuse. Just straight time theft.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-05-24 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    There's a lot of money in the infrastructure bill for building out charging capacity IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is not remotely true for the source of our mandatory-car urban hellscape. You should look into the history of how automakers have aggressively lobbied to have a say in city planning.
    You are right up to a point. Conservatives did invent single family zoning to separate themselves from non-white people but these days it's mostly lefty policies and ideals that are pushing against denser cities and alternative transportation. In an ironic twist, leftist ideals are being used to serve capitalists that just buy houses and rent them out or sit on them to sell them later on because leftists and homeowners have a weird grudge against developers and literally everyone that just wants to live in a normal city

but these days it's mostly lefty policies and ideals that are pushing against denser cities and alternative transportation.
    To address the problems created when these cities were sprawling out and were designed for cars, yes. But the impact of this is largely things like bike lanes and more public transportation, things that are absolutely necessary for denser cities regardless of people living there or commuting there for work.

In an ironic twist, leftist ideals are being used to serve capitalists that just buy houses and rent them out or sit on them to sell them later on because leftists and homeowners have a weird grudge against developers and literally everyone that just wants to live in a normal city
    Literally what the fuck are you talking about and where did you conjure up this fantasy?

Man, y'all think "leftists" are a lot more powerful and influential than they actually are. I promise, we're not the bogeyman, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    To address the problems created when these cities were sprawling out and were designed for cars, yes. But the impact of this is largely things like bike lanes and more public transportation, things that are absolutely necessary for denser cities regardless of people living there or commuting there for work.

Literally what the fuck are you talking about and where did you conjure up this fantasy?

Man, y'all think "leftists" are a lot more powerful and influential than they actually are. I promise, we're not the bogeyman, really.
    I don't think you guys have power lol. Capitalists just use you all and your ideals to their benefit. It's much more palatable to say "we oppose this new building because it displaces X minority, it doesn't have enough subsidized units, etc." than it is to say that they oppose it because this way property values will soar even higher, and they can charge more rent.

You lot are useful idiots serving capital holders (property owners)

I don't think you guys have power lol. Capitalists just use you all and your ideals to their benefit. It's much more palatable to say "we oppose this new building because it displaces X minority, it doesn't have enough subsidized units, etc." than it is to say that they oppose it because this way property values will soar even higher, and they can charge more rent.

Yeah, that's exactly it. You seem to have a perfect handle on this extremely simple and in no way complex issue.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm sorry you had trouble building a fence one time or something, but the current state of city gridifcation and lack of public transportation has nothing to do with "democrats trying to protect every stop sign and bodega."

Many American cities were built so rapidly and were forced to grow and swell with the influx of suburban commuters and through traffic that they were not hollistically designed. Car and fuel companies actively crusaded against, and in the case of LA, fought to remove, public transportation.

What's more plausible? Multi-billion dollar industries coercing and affecting local policy to keep their businesses booming while ignoring the external costs, or some mid-level bureaucrat somewhere evilly tinting their fingers and stopping up the urban renewal plans just waiting to burst forth?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What's more plausible? Multi-billion dollar industries coercing and affecting local policy to keep their businesses booming while ignoring the external costs, or some mid-level bureaucrat somewhere evilly tinting their fingers and stopping up the urban renewal plans just waiting to burst forth?
    When're a drooling imbecile who can blame everything on the Leftists™? The mid-level bureaucrat, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think home owners are "capitalists", then you've demonstrated a gaping chasm of willful ignorance about the most fundamental basics of economic theory in general and capitalist theory in specific.

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/02/man...ter-bipartisan

In which Manchin, the most conservative Democrat in the Senate, appears unable to get bipartisan support even for his very "centrist" policy positions on energy with Republican extremists.

Which is fine. He'll water down what Democrats want to pass, but Democrats will get more of what they want outta that bill than they would with a Manchin/Republican bill.

He'll still be a stick in the mud and a problem throughout, but this is better for Democratic (American) priorities, and is yet another example of how the extremist GOP is unwilling to even seriously contemplate compromising so that they can govern.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is Biden prepared for the Backlash of reactionary Gamers returning to their Ron Paul roots?

Number of video game players in U.S. dips after pandemic surge.
    The number of Americans who play video games has declined slightly in 2022, likely due to the phasing out of pandemic-oriented lockdowns, according to a new report from the Entertainment Software Association.
    Driving the news: The ESA’s new data, released this morning, shows the U.S. gaming population at 216 million, compared to 227 million for 2021.

"Sure, gas prices are bad, but. Having to go back to work, and it's Biden's fault!"
    "join my other channel where I talk about why Star Wars sucks."

/s
    Government Affiliated Snark