1. #14701
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,148
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Filter this through the post I was responding to. It accused the bill's supporters of needing "to get over this stupid notion that parents somehow own their kids." What kind of political backlash should you expect if someone tries to suggest you feel ownership over your kids? Like, when they discuss parental rights in education, they're actually treating the parent-child relationship like ownership? I've given my view of what I think the likely response would be, said or unsaid, and maybe only showing up at the ballot box next election.
    If parents don't like that, they should stop pretending that "parental rights" are comparable to ownership of property.

    The entire argument that parents should be able to pick and choose the curriculum their children are taught in public schools is fully based in that root falsehood.

    Public education, again, largely exists because parents fail to provide adequately for their children, or push directly harmful views or such upon them. Not to mention direct forms of harm. Teachers do not work for parents of their students, and in many ways, act as a form of oversight to identify child abuse and see that it's prosecuted appropriately.

    Children have rights, too.

    'terrible,' no 'nuance' just not 'treating gays/trans with a modicum of respect,' 'part of the problem'
    'Not wanting to treat the gays like they are evil.'
    'DeathSentence,' 'his first step to ridding Florida of gays'

    I'd say "swinging for the fences" in terms of making my point.
    Your only "point" here is empty tone policing. You don't have a material, reasoned defense against any of those points, which is why you're engaging in tone policing.


  2. #14702
    Elemental Lord Milchshake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Javelin of Shitposts, Post-and-Forget
    Posts
    8,876
    ‘Sometimes we will speak softly and carry a large javelin’ is certainly a memorable Presidential quote.

    Biden announces new $800M aid package to Ukraine as Russia presses offensive

    “To modernize Teddy Roosevelt’s famous advice, ‘Sometimes we will speak softly and carry a large javelin.’ Because we’re sending a lot of those in as well.”


  3. #14703
    Seems the right wing take is that it's communism for LGBTQ+ people to have rights. Or so Rep. Andy Biggs believed, at least. Explains a few posts I've seen, I suppose.

    Quick post, since it's being talked about here

  4. #14704
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,148
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Seems the right wing take is that it's communism for LGBTQ+ people to have rights. Or so Rep. Andy Biggs believed, at least. Explains a few posts I've seen, I suppose.

    Quick post, since it's being talked about here
    Imagine being such a sandwich of bigoted stupidity you actually publicly express the idea that one of the most powerful megacorporations of capitalist economics is communist.

    This is what capitalism looks like, you homophobic asspimple.

    Directed at the Rep, not UnifiedDivide, obviously. But stated so there's no confusion.


  5. #14705
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    'terrible,' no 'nuance' just not 'treating gays/trans with a modicum of respect,' 'part of the problem'
    'Not wanting to treat the gays like they are evil.'
    'DeathSentence,' 'his first step to ridding Florida of gays'

    I'd say "swinging for the fences" in terms of making my point.
    cope, seethe, no one besides the other virulently anti LGBTQ+ poster in this thread even cares what you have to say on the matter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    if not for the fact that only bigots think this legislation had any sort of "nuance" wasn't a clue, it should be an even bigger red flag when the white nationalist is gaslighting the entire rest of the forum over it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

    The entire argument that parents should be able to pick and choose the curriculum their children are taught in public schools is fully based in that root falsehood.
    I mean, this culture war garbage and the right's disdain for public education goes hand in hand.

  6. #14706
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,148
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    cope, seethe, no one besides the other virulently anti LGBTQ+ poster in this thread even cares what you have to say on the matter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    if not for the fact that only bigots think this legislation had any sort of "nuance" wasn't a clue, it should be an even bigger red flag when the white nationalist is gaslighting the entire rest of the forum over it.
    I mean, the "nuance" could be "this bill was so poorly written that no teachers can now ever discuss whether they're married or not." If a woman teacher's husband comes to pick her up after school, can't kiss or hug him, have to tell the kids he's a "friend" if they ask.

    Because not only are Floridian Republicans bigoted fuckbags who get off on harming children, they're also really fucking incompetent at basically the only actual part of their actual job.


  7. #14707
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Seems the right wing take is that it's communism for LGBTQ+ people to have rights. Or so Rep. Andy Biggs believed, at least. Explains a few posts I've seen, I suppose.

    Quick post, since it's being talked about here
    Hilarious how much these capitalists and Free Speech Warriors hate capitalism and Free Speech.

  8. #14708
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Hilarious how much these capitalists and Free Speech Warriors hate capitalism and Free Speech.
    Fair reminder that they aren't capitalists. They're fascists. Fascism, from its outset, was a "third way" between capitalism and socialism, only taking the bits that were useful to seize greater power in the moment.

    They say they're capitalists, the same way the Nazis said they were socialists. Fascists lie. Kinda the brand.

    This also goes for a lot of centrists, too, who like to promote "free markets" but seemingly can't grasp that the capitalism excesses they're bitching about are the result of free markets. Jon Stewart, sadly enough, seems to have gone pretty deep down that particular rabbit hole.


  9. #14709
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The "Don't Say Gay" bill?

    Yes, the sole purpose of that bill is to deny LGBT people a basic level of respect and recognition as people. That's the entire goal of the bill. There is nothing else to it.

    It is this black and white, and denying that means you're trying to hide that fact.
    And you only have to look at the amendments that were proposed, and subsequently rejected, to confirm this fact. Including:
    *An amendment that would have altered the wording on state standards requiring schools to teach the benefits of heterosexual marriage, by changing "heterosexual" to "monogamous"
    *An amendment clarifying that the language in the bill would not limit the obligation of school personnel to report suspected abuse or neglect
    *An amendment defining sexual orientation and gender identity
    *An amendment that would specifically only ban instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity that is non age-appropriate
    *An amendment allowing discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity as it pertains to family structures, historical events, and prevention of bullying
    *An amendment clarifying that students are allowed to discuss sexual orientation and gender identity with each other
    *An amendment requiring the Department of Education to create a pamphlet to help parents teach their children about sexual orientation and gender identity
    *An amendment that would have changed prohibiting discussion of "sexual orientation or gender identity" to prohibiting discussion of "human sexuality or sexual activity"

  10. #14710
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, the "nuance" could be "this bill was so poorly written that no teachers can now ever discuss whether they're married or not." If a woman teacher's husband comes to pick her up after school, can't kiss or hug him, have to tell the kids he's a "friend" if they ask.

    Because not only are Floridian Republicans bigoted fuckbags who get off on harming children, they're also really fucking incompetent at basically the only actual part of their actual job.
    yep, it's what happens when all the bigots in charge all hold law degrees and think average people are too dumb to use the purposefully vague language to point out the true intention of these bills. as soon as a case is brought up to sue a straight teacher for bragging about having a girl friend or wife and the court decides not to push it or take it up, will prove right then and there what the intention here really is.

  11. #14711
    https://apnews.com/article/covid-bus...2b12573ff27822

    Applications for unemployment benefits inched down last week as the total number of Americans collecting aid fell to its lowest level in more than 50 years.

    Jobless claims fell by 2,000 to 184,000 last week, the Labor Department said Thursday. The four-week average of claims, which levels out week-to-week volatility, rose by 4,500 to 177,250.

    About 1.42 million Americans were collecting traditional unemployment benefits in the week of April 9, the fewest since February 21, 1970.
    Let's go, Brandon! Making the Economy Great Again!

  12. #14712
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Imagine being such a sandwich of bigoted stupidity you actually publicly express the idea that one of the most powerful megacorporations of capitalist economics is communist.

    This is what capitalism looks like, you homophobic asspimple.

    Directed at the Rep, not UnifiedDivide, obviously. But stated so there's no confusion.
    They redefine words as needed. "Socialism" and "Communism" are the easy ones, after spending so many years making sure their typical base now equates anything remotely close to those labels as evil.

  13. #14713
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    They redefine words as needed. "Socialism" and "Communism" are the easy ones, after spending so many years making sure their typical base now equates anything remotely close to those labels as evil.
    Yeah, but then the hamster falls off the wheel when you point out to them that a standing military, public police, and fire departments are all forms of Socialism or Communism and that the capitalist versions of them are mercenaries and private security and then watch them trying to reconcile hating and supporting them at the same time.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  14. #14714
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/polit...ers/index.html

    Welp, after 4 years of a fairly big exodus of diplomatic staff, the State Department is roaring back to life.

    he US State Department is expecting its strongest year for foreign service intake in a decade, a department spokesperson told CNN, reversing a trend that began under the Trump administration.

    According to the spokesperson, internal numbers show that 327 career foreign service employees have been onboarded this fiscal year, which began in October, with 179 sworn in last week. Their projection is based on onboarding so far and additional classes scheduled.

    "I extend my hearty congratulations to our new Foreign Service class of 179 superb employees, putting the State Department on track for its best year for Foreign Service intake since 2012," Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement. "The size of our classes is a testament to the strong appeal of the Foreign Service and the State Department more broadly. I look forward to seeing the work that this class does to advance US diplomacy in the years to come."

    The spokesperson said that 2017 -- when the department was led by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson -- marked the lowest foreign service intake in a decade.
    Joe Biden is Making Diplomacy Great Again!

  15. #14715
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Yeah, but then the hamster falls off the wheel when you point out to them that a standing military, public police, and fire departments are all forms of Socialism or Communism and that the capitalist versions of them are mercenaries and private security and then watch them trying to reconcile hating and supporting them at the same time.
    It still tickles me when I see people say that the US "has no socialism!" Reminds me of people that hated Obamacare, but loved the ACA.

    People are dumb, and Republicans rely on that.

  16. #14716
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    2,817
    Honestly it's baffling and frustrating seeing Decades of LGBT activism and political ground-making starting to come undone by less than a year of Republicans making up a problem and screaming really loudly about it; dredging back up the ol' tactic of labeling them and their supporters Pedophiles because, to their hilariously limited understanding, they just think LGBT issues are some fetish thing. Same with their astroturf'd concern about CRT making White Kids hate themselves for learning about history (when Kids didn't actually take any courses on CRT and they were just using CRT as a Boogyman to scrub classrooms of talking about anything race related at all).

    Republicans ran out of actual legislative issues to run on because the only way they can get their base to vote is dumb culture war bullshit, so they've decided to double down on it and this is the result.

  17. #14717
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Honestly it's baffling and frustrating seeing Decades of LGBT activism and political ground-making starting to come undone by less than a year of Republicans making up a problem and screaming really loudly about it; dredging back up the ol' tactic of labeling them and their supporters Pedophiles because, to their hilariously limited understanding, they just think LGBT issues are some fetish thing. Same with their astroturf'd concern about CRT making White Kids hate themselves for learning about history (when Kids didn't actually take any courses on CRT and they were just using CRT as a Boogyman to scrub classrooms of talking about anything race related at all).

    Republicans ran out of actual legislative issues to run on because the only way they can get their base to vote is dumb culture war bullshit, so they've decided to double down on it and this is the result.
    It's an illustration of what can happen when people choose apathy and "assume" that progress is safe enough for them to remove themselves and their voice from the political arena because "neither candidate is progressive enough, so they might as well be the same" or "I didn't like the one candidate's attitude." It's a thesis I wholeheartedly reject, and think is colossally self-absorbed and ultimately nothing but self-destructive and does nothing in practice but help one's political rivals. Luckily most people seemed to have learned that lesson after 2016, but it bears reminding. Because the ramifications are still being felt today, and until a major shakeup in the supreme court it's likely to continue.

    If the dems controlled the supreme court, this anti-LGBT and anti-voting rights stuff would have been DOA and it's doubtful the GOP would have even tried it. "Stagnation" is far from the worst thing that can happen in politics, as illustrated here.

    Because even if one were to argue that the democrats are a "stagnant" party, at the very least they aren't actively crusading against things like LGBTQ+ rights, voting rights, economic reforms, and so forth.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  18. #14718
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's an illustration of what can happen when people choose apathy and "assume" that progress is safe enough for them to remove themselves and their voice from the political arena because "neither candidate is progressive enough, so they might as well be the same" or "I didn't like the one candidate's attitude." It's a thesis I wholeheartedly reject, and think is colossally self-absorbed and ultimately nothing but self-destructive and does nothing in practice but help one's political rivals. Luckily most people seemed to have learned that lesson after 2016, but it bears reminding. Because the ramifications are still being felt today, and until a major shakeup in the supreme court it's likely to continue.

    If the dems controlled the supreme court, this anti-LGBT and anti-voting rights stuff would have been DOA and it's doubtful the GOP would have even tried it. "Stagnation" is far from the worst thing that can happen in politics, as illustrated here.

    Because even if one were to argue that the democrats are a "stagnant" party, at the very least they aren't actively crusading against things like LGBTQ+ rights, voting rights, economic reforms, and so forth.
    The thesis isn't completely invalid. The problem is in applying it to the modern American status quo; the supposed equality of the two parties does not exist. The Republicans have become become venal, bigoted fascists, without any deeper platform than that. That's not just disagreeable politics, it's a looming threat to all who don't support the Republicans, in a very real "you'll likely get killed down the line if they solidify power" sense, without hyperbole; fascism always ends up at mass killings of those deemed "other".

    If it were 1992 again, and your options were Clinton, H.W. Bush, or Perot, throwing your hands up and saying they all suck in different ways equally is kinda reasonable. Do I think Clinton was "better"? Sure. But Bush hadn't ruined things in his 4 years prior, either. And there was dark shit that came about with the Democrats under Clinton. Like the crime bill, pushed hard by Biden at the time, which did a lot to reinforce the apalling state of American policing and the brutal targeting of black Americans. Which they've never really taken ownership of.

    But in 2012 through today? No, if you're pushing that "both sides are bad" argument to justify not voting, you're just as much a bad-faith participant as any Republican trying to pull that shit to deflect blame from Republican malfeasance. You're the kind of person who, in the Weimar elections in the late '20s and early '30s, would be refusing to vote because "the Nazis aren't any better or worse than the Social Democrats". And there's a word for people like that, looking back in history, generally.

    That word is "Nazi".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Honestly it's baffling and frustrating seeing Decades of LGBT activism and political ground-making starting to come undone by less than a year of Republicans making up a problem and screaming really loudly about it; dredging back up the ol' tactic of labeling them and their supporters Pedophiles because, to their hilariously limited understanding, they just think LGBT issues are some fetish thing. Same with their astroturf'd concern about CRT making White Kids hate themselves for learning about history (when Kids didn't actually take any courses on CRT and they were just using CRT as a Boogyman to scrub classrooms of talking about anything race related at all).

    Republicans ran out of actual legislative issues to run on because the only way they can get their base to vote is dumb culture war bullshit, so they've decided to double down on it and this is the result.
    It's the same with race issues.

    The problem isn't, fundamentally, that there wasn't a lot of progress on those issues. The problem, fundamentally, is there's still a fuckin' lot of bigots in the USA, who aren't being called out and having their lives ruined over their bigotries, and thus those bigotries have been allowed to fester and build over time, reinforcing themselves and infiltrating themselves irrevocably into agencies like various faith groups or policing or what have you. The "progress" was legalistic, but it never had full support of the populace, not in a way they were willing to fight for.

    And the bigots have decided they are willing to fight over it, now. So either you can start punchin' Nazis for being bigoted fuckbags, or the only people taking swings are gonna walk away with the win.


  19. #14719
    https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status...02526450552836

    Fox News host Sandra Smith, attempting to attack Biden for current inflation and show that she's a real "Average Jane" that understands "Real Americans" and isn't an out-of-touch rich person...

    Thinks a gallon of milk in New York is $11. Is she buying important yak milk or something?

    The attempts to attack Biden for inflation he's not responsible for and blow current inflation out of proportion is just sad. And reveals some of these people to be the out-of-touch "elites" that they supposedly rail against.

  20. #14720
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status...02526450552836

    Fox News host Sandra Smith, attempting to attack Biden for current inflation and show that she's a real "Average Jane" that understands "Real Americans" and isn't an out-of-touch rich person...

    Thinks a gallon of milk in New York is $11. Is she buying important yak milk or something?

    The attempts to attack Biden for inflation he's not responsible for and blow current inflation out of proportion is just sad. And reveals some of these people to be the out-of-touch "elites" that they supposedly rail against.
    but but Pelosi ice cream something something.....

    Just remember when a republican is attacking a democrat for something stupid/exaggerated/illegal, they are usually the ones guilty of it.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •