Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    A gun bill, historic stimulus, historic infrastructure, historic supply investment (chips), potentially this reconciliation bill...
    Gun bill has passed the House, not the Senate yet.

Stimulus hasn't been discussed in years.

Infrastructure is really only talked about by Buttigieg.

CHIPS bill isn't really getting a national push, but state-level Democrats seem to be doing a better job there.

My point being that, as has been historically true, Democrats suck at messaging and boasting about their own accomplishments. They're neither setting nor apparently trying to control the narrative.

Alliance

Newly unveiled "Inflation Reduction Act", endorsed by Joe, set to increase taxes for Americans earning less than $400,000 per year. This comes in spite of Joe repeatedly promising, before and during his presidency, such a thing would not happen while in office.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/m...uction_act.pdf

PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post

Fuck off.

Will it raise taxes on the middle class?

The bill directly raises funds in three areas: a new minimum tax on some corporations, new money to help the IRS chase down tax cheats, and lessening the “carried interest loophole” favored by money managers.

However, an analysis from the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT), requested by Republicans, has fueled a debate over whether the bill will actually increase costs on the middle class.

Republicans have trumpeted the report's conclusion that the Schumer-Manchin bill would indirectly lead to up to $16.7 billion worth of tax increases on American taxpayers earning less than $200,000. In a speech, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) cited the group, saying the bill “would shatter President Biden’s promise not to impact households earning below $400,000.”

In a contentious Fox News interview Tuesday, Sen. Manchin called the claims “a pure, outright lie.”

Other backers of the bill say the results are misleading. They point out that it doesn't directly impose new taxes on the middle class. While those backers acknowledge some corporations may indeed pass along the costs of their increased tax bills, they say its overall impact on middle earners is positive.

And, of course, proponents of the bill have a study to back that up. The study, from a group called Rewiring America, found the bill could save the average household $1,800 per year on energy bills.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen weighed in Tuesday in a letter to lawmakers. The bill “would either reduce or have no effect on the taxes due or paid by any family with income less than $400,000,” she said.

She added, “The clean energy tax credits and the expanded premium tax credit will cut taxes for millions of Americans.”
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/infla...194519482.html

Newly unveiled "Inflation Reduction Act", endorsed by Joe, set to increase taxes for Americans earning less than $400,000 per year. This comes in spite of Joe repeatedly promising, before and during his presidency, such a thing would not happen while in office.

https://www.factcheck.org/2022/08/so...reduction-act/

Republicans point to a Joint Committee on Taxation analysis of the bill, which indicates federal taxes for people making less than $200,000 would rise by $16.6 billion in 2023, and that those taxpayers would be shouldering just over 42% of the tax increases in the bill that year. That’s a function of estimating the effect on individuals of collecting the minimum corporate tax. Corporations pass along some of the burden of higher taxes in the form of lower wages and lower stock values, affecting shareholders.
    Also

In addition, Goldwein said, JCT’s distributional tables do not include the benefits of individual energy tax credits, savings from the prescription drug provisions, health care subsidies and a reduction of inflation over time. If they did, he said, the net impact of the bill would be closer to zero for middle-income Americans in the early years, and over time would result in a net tax benefit for middle-income earners.
    And

The JCT’s analysis of the overall impact of the bill shows it would raise about $68 billion over 10 years. But most of that comes from the early years. In fact, by 2027, the bill would amount to a net tax cut for individuals each year, according to the JCT.

As for the bill’s elimination of the “carried interest” tax benefit that allows managers of investment funds to pay a tax rate lower than income taxes, the $15 billion in revenue it is projected to raise is a relatively small part of the overall package. And the bill specifically restricts carried interest to those making over $400,000.
    Context is important.

Basically the republican position is "If you tax the rich, the rich will take it out on the poor" and use that as the reason why taxing the rich is bad...rather than addresssing the actual issue.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account

From the sound of it it's actually a net tax benefit.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll admit you're wrong any minute now.

Or are you just doing your usual drive-by shitposting and running and hiding to pretend you never read the numerous people slamming your attempt at a smarmy "gotcha" only to come in here again in a few weeks and do the same thing with something equally trite?

Don't worry, I'm sure Tehdang will have read your same right-wing talking points and will be in here to post a similarly stinted piece of drivel soon. At least he proffers an occasional response where he's able to learn why he's wrong with even more context.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Thats a lie.

Do you get paid to act like this or are you willing to act like a rake for free?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Sinema is reportedly on board now.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/polit...day/index.html

Aww, I don't feel bad for all the Republican's hoping she would tank this at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Sinema is reportedly on board now.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/polit...day/index.html

Aww, I don't feel bad for all the Republican's hoping she would tank this at the last minute.
    And all it cost for her vote was killing the end of the carried interest loophole. She's always gotta simp for her big dollar daddy donors.

The deal is also expected to include the $5 billion Sinema wanted for drought resiliency, according to a source familiar.
    That is actually good shit, surprisingly. Fuck her and her simping for corporate stooges, but if it results in a deal that's still largely beneficial at the end of the day, sure. I'd rather just throw like $10B in pork to Arizona for whatever the fuck they want, but at least this is happening. It's strategically important for elections and will do some actual good in general. Far from perfect, or even ideal, but it's what Democrats can do with their 50-vote "majority" and two shitheel Senators.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3...economic-bill/

“So, what will vote-a-rama be like?” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C) told reporters on Friday, referring to the voting marathon senators are set to be subjected to in the next few days as part of the process Democrats are using to pass the bill. “It’d be like hell.”

“They deserve this. As much as I admire Joe Manchin and Sinema for standing up to the radical left at times, they’re empowering legislation that will make the average person’s life more difficult,” Graham said.
    Republicans are big mad that Democrats are spending money to help people and help transition us towards the future, all while reducing the federal deficit.

Which is weird, because I thought those were two things that they said they liked, but oh well. They could have always come to the bargaining table and reached out to Schumer and Pelosi to offer to compromise and make this a bipartisan bill.

Their loss.

But hey, they're not letting that stop them from trying to ratfuck the process -

Many Republicans have been keeping their cards close to the vest on what amendments they plan to bring up during the voting marathon.

Pressed by The Hill on Thursday about which ones he’ll offer, Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) declined to divulge, saying he wants “it to be a surprise.”

“My colleagues will all have plenty of time to read my amendments,” Kennedy said. “But I don’t believe in leading with my chin.”
    Ah yes, this seems like good faith governance from the Republican party. Good faith indeed.

Well Sinema is on board for the IRA so it should pass now, unless.

Of course she wanted the carried interest law stricken. A law that will effect almost nobody but guess who? The Ultra Rich. GG Kristen.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Well Sinema is on board for the IRA so it should pass now, unless.

Of course she wanted the carried interest law stricken. A law that will effect almost nobody but guess who? The Ultra Rich. GG Kristen.
    Hey, at least there's the provision to tax stock buybacks so that if we have to do another huge giveaway to companies they can't just use that money to artificially inflate their stock prices, instead of paying workers and investing in the company, without consequence.

It's both funny and sad that republicans are currently furious over how great of a few weeks the US just got. Plenty of work to be done for sure, but it's nice to see some good things after so many years of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    It's both funny and sad that republicans are currently furious over how great of a few weeks the US just got. Plenty of work to be done for sure, but it's nice to see some good things after so many years of shit.
    Of course they're furious.

The better the government does... a democrat-controlled government, no less... the less of a "you need to elect us because the government's broken and the democrats can't do anything, don't ask any questions just do it" platform they have.

And if they don't have that platform, they don't have any platform.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The insulin vote (and others like it) won't cause millions to switch their vote from republican to democrat, but it sure as hell could number in the thousands. It won't flip any lopsided districts or states, but it could potentially give a big enough nudge for the extremely close races.

This is pretty much the rub. Republicans don't have any interest in actually helping people by limiting the morally offensive profits made by private companies on literally life-saving medications.

Republicans. Want. Poor. People. To. Die.

Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is pretty much the rub. Republicans don't have any interest in actually helping people by limiting the morally offensive profits made by private companies on literally life-saving medications.

Republicans. Want. Poor. People. To. Die.

Period.
    Let me pay more for my medication to own the Libs!!!

Plus brown people > than my health care.

In 2020,
    SenJoniErnst
    warned about the “heartbreaking” consequences of high insulin costs and called on lawmakers to “come together” to lower them.

Ernst voted against the insulin copay cap today.

LUL.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2022-08-07 at 06:39 PM.