1. #16761
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Fortune Magazine did an article on the GDP. The biggest contributor was consumer spending. Beyonce, Tailor Swift and Black Pink tours boosted US economy by approximately 4.5B, 4.6B and 3.9B when we account for plane tickets, hotels, foods and merchandising.
    It always fuckin is. We're a consumer driven economy, and I haven't heard any alterations to the last numbers which were that 70% of that economy is consumer driven. It's always going to be consumers boosting the economy, always.

    Taylor Swift is out here saving shows, saving theaters, saving the economy, apparently saving the Democratic part and democracy and I'm wondering if there's anything that gal can't do.

  2. #16762
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Taylor Swift is out here saving shows, saving theaters, saving the economy, apparently saving the Democratic part and democracy and I'm wondering if there's anything that gal can't do.
    Find a stable relationship.

  3. #16763
    Elemental Lord unfilteredJW's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    8,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Find a stable relationship.
    Stable relationships don't make for good albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yes it is. Breaking into someone’s home and sanctuary is a violation of someone’s person. When I said rape yes I meant it. Not just having your stuff taken which is disturbing enough. Breaking into someone’s home were they and their family sleeping. Yeah rape is the appropriate comparison.
    Mall Cop thinks Home Invasion ='s Rape

  4. #16764
    It's been reallt quiet in here.
    Hasn't Joe Biden done something heinous like massive tax fraud, voter fraud, conspire to make an insurrection, being old, or order a burger with dijon mustard while wearing a tan suit?

  5. #16765
    He's not doing himself any favors with this Israel shit. But Republicans can't say much about it because they're all about murdering Muslims and fellating the Israeli government.

  6. #16766
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    He's not doing himself any favors with this Israel shit. But Republicans can't say much about it because they're all about murdering Muslims and fellating the Israeli government.
    Even without that Joe Biden has always been a high risk candidate due to his age and lack of enthusiasm which has only gotten worse. For the rhetoric about how this is an fight for democracy the party is taking a lot of risk by putting him on the ballot.

  7. #16767
    Merely a Setback Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    29,186
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    He's not doing himself any favors with this Israel shit. But Republicans can't say much about it because they're all about murdering Muslims and fellating the Israeli government.
    Trump and the Republicans are even worse though, talking about putting US troops in Gaza to help the IDF, bombing Iran, and limiting speech criticizing Israel.

  8. #16768
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/dem...ot-2023-11-07/

    Andrea Singmaster is thankful for President Joe Biden. He helped secure funding to clean up a contaminated site in her Philadelphia suburb and his efforts to crack down on Medicare drug prices will help family members financially manage arthritis and Crohn's disease.

    But she is not so thankful that Biden, who turns 81 this month, is running again.

    A lifelong Democrat who voted for Biden in 2020, Singmaster is hoping that someone else emerges to change the 2024 election, including Democratic longshot Dean Phillips or a Republican that can beat Donald Trump in the Republican primary race.

    "I love Joe Biden. He's great, you know, but he's an old dude and I am really frustrated with our lack of choices and wish I could just run away," the 50-year-old Singmaster said.

    The contrast between the popularity of the Biden agenda and the unpopularity of its pitchman, even among some party loyalists, is a major concern for Democrats going into 2024.

    Biden's legislative victories include items popular with a large swath of American voters, such as allowing the federal government to negotiate Medicare drug prices, capping insulin costs, boosting infrastructure investment and tackling climate change.
    This is so fuckin weird to me.

    Don't get me wrong I get it - Biden is an old guy and a lot of us are justifiably tired of people who should be retiring in Palm Beach (well, maybe elsewhere) running the country.

    But at the same time it's wild how much folks don't like Joe despite really liking a lot of the policies he's pushed and the legislation that Democrats passed.

  9. #16769
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Trump and the Republicans are even worse though, talking about putting US troops in Gaza to help the IDF, bombing Iran, and limiting speech criticizing Israel.
    Yes, but if Dem voters stay home because their party is showing its ass over this Israel garbage, it doesn't really matter how much worse the GOP would be.

  10. #16770
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    78,578
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yes, but if Dem voters stay home because their party is showing its ass over this Israel garbage, it doesn't really matter how much worse the GOP would be.
    More people need to realize that American elections are 1000% not about which party people will vote for. That's entirely predetermined, both by prejudice/bias and by the massive divide between the parties on some social issues.

    What actually decides elections is voter turnout for those parties. If Democrats are all "eh, fuck it", you get 2016. When they're all "For the love of bacon we need to fuckin' win this", you get 2020. Same goes the other way; Trump's turnout was incredibly high in 2020 too, because Republicans made the same push; they're just losing demographically.

    Getting your own base to go "eh, fuck it" is how you lose elections. Not whether you have cross-party appeal. That's essentially a myth.


  11. #16771
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/dem...ot-2023-11-07/



    This is so fuckin weird to me.

    Don't get me wrong I get it - Biden is an old guy and a lot of us are justifiably tired of people who should be retiring in Palm Beach (well, maybe elsewhere) running the country.

    But at the same time it's wild how much folks don't like Joe despite really liking a lot of the policies he's pushed and the legislation that Democrats passed.
    Old guys have a tough time getting behind a podium and taking credit for their policies and explaining all the ways they've helped people. Andrea's probably heard one of them, and come away more impacted by his rambling, mumbling, and chewing of his words. Look back in your personal life to times where the message content was hindered or overshadowed by the person speaking it.

    I'd argue that Biden's running on Team Biden the brand.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  12. #16772
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/dem...ot-2023-11-07/



    This is so fuckin weird to me.

    Don't get me wrong I get it - Biden is an old guy and a lot of us are justifiably tired of people who should be retiring in Palm Beach (well, maybe elsewhere) running the country.

    But at the same time it's wild how much folks don't like Joe despite really liking a lot of the policies he's pushed and the legislation that Democrats passed.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but nobody was too “jazzed” about Biden going into the 2020 election. But they sure were jazzed about trump not being president.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  13. #16773
    Merely a Setback Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    29,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    More people need to realize that American elections are 1000% not about which party people will vote for. That's entirely predetermined, both by prejudice/bias and by the massive divide between the parties on some social issues.

    What actually decides elections is voter turnout for those parties. If Democrats are all "eh, fuck it", you get 2016. When they're all "For the love of bacon we need to fuckin' win this", you get 2020. Same goes the other way; Trump's turnout was incredibly high in 2020 too, because Republicans made the same push; they're just losing demographically.

    Getting your own base to go "eh, fuck it" is how you lose elections. Not whether you have cross-party appeal. That's essentially a myth.
    The good news is that the GOP are utterly obsessed with making abortion illegal to the point where a zygote has more rights than a girl or a woman. Their base's obsession with obliterating abortion rights has saved the Democrat's collective asses for multiple election cycles, and will likely do it again in 2024, since Trump is on video bragging about how he ended Roe V Wade, and how he supports a federal abortion ban.

  14. #16774
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but nobody was too “jazzed” about Biden going into the 2020 election. But they sure were jazzed about trump not being president.
    Voting for Biden is like going to a colon exam, no one wants to do it but you have to because of the alternative.

  15. #16775
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Voting for Biden is like going to a colon exam, no one wants to do it but you have to because of the alternative.
    The alternative is cancer, for those of you who didn't figure that out. Can you imagine willfully voting for cancer?

    In other news, the House GOP subpoenas anyone Hunter Biden has ever met, desperately scattershotting and hoping someone will say something they can use.

    "Sure, whatever," Hunter Biden is likely responding. "I'll get on that as quickly as Steve Bannon did."

  16. #16776
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The alternative is cancer, for those of you who didn't figure that out. Can you imagine willfully voting for cancer?

    In other news, the House GOP subpoenas anyone Hunter Biden has ever met, desperately scattershotting and hoping someone will say something they can use.

    "Sure, whatever," Hunter Biden is likely responding. "I'll get on that as quickly as Steve Bannon did."
    Glad to see that House Republicans, who still don't have a plan for avoiding a government shutdown that's set to happen in a few weeks, are focusing on the real issues.

    I mean, their witnesses have thus far been incredibly damaging for their case and the worst they've shown is that Joe is a generous guy who loans money to his family, who repay him in full, while he's a private citizen and not in public office.

    Oh, and that he loves his son unconditionally and supports him through his struggles with drug addiction etc. while expecting that he be held accountable for his actions. How dreadful.

  17. #16777
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    15,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/dem...ot-2023-11-07/

    This is so fuckin weird to me.

    Don't get me wrong I get it - Biden is an old guy and a lot of us are justifiably tired of people who should be retiring in Palm Beach (well, maybe elsewhere) running the country.

    But at the same time it's wild how much folks don't like Joe despite really liking a lot of the policies he's pushed and the legislation that Democrats passed.
    I think a lot of people are justifiably worried he's gonna just keel over, or go completely senile, or will act like many older people do and ignore everything he's told by younger folk and stick to his guns.

    I think all of that's doubtful, but that's the sentiment I've seen.

  18. #16778
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,797
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I think a lot of people are justifiably worried he's gonna just keel over, or go completely senile, or will act like many older people do and ignore everything he's told by younger folk and stick to his guns.
    Oddly enough, "a lot of people" will vote for Trump, who has done all three of these things in public already. Remember the time he caught COVID and nearly died?

  19. #16779
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    15,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oddly enough, "a lot of people" will vote for Trump, who has done all three of these things in public already. Remember the time he caught COVID and nearly died?
    I do remember that, it was extremely disappointing.

  20. #16780
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I think a lot of people are justifiably worried he's gonna just keel over, or go completely senile, or will act like many older people do and ignore everything he's told by younger folk and stick to his guns.

    I think all of that's doubtful, but that's the sentiment I've seen.
    You're gonna have to qualify the bolded for me. Dude still goes on regular bike rides, which is not something someone in poor health who might die at any time can do.

    Completely senile? Is he senile now?

    Ignore what he's told by younger people because he's old? Because Joe hasn't radically changed his positions compared to his Senate days already?

    This is weird to me. I get it, he's an old guy who sometimes does the old man walk and he has a stutter that rears its head from time to time. I wish we had someone a big younger and fuller of vigor and all, but honestly all three of your primary concerns seem fairly baseless given available evidence and reality.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •