1. #16781
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is weird to me. I get it, he's an old guy who sometimes does the old man walk and he has a stutter that rears its head from time to time. I wish we had someone a big younger and fuller of vigor and all, but honestly all three of your primary concerns seem fairly baseless given available evidence and reality.
    yeah the narrative about biden in the US for the last 3 years has been utterly baffling.

    look i'm no shill for the democrats and i'm certainly no fan of biden when taking into account the entirety of his political career, but the objective truth is that in terms of actual implemented policy, as well as the weird thing with US presidential administrations where they kind of set the tone for the cultural zeitgeist, this is far and away the most progressive and most left-facing we've had in this country since... jesus, at least the carter administration? and while carter was gentle and kind-uncle about it he was also a pussy and completely broke the spine of the left in the US so probably would need to go further back than that.
    so really the last time we had a president who strongly spoke out for ANY sort of left/liberal ideology (even if it was only lip service) was probably fucking LBJ or something.
    and yet, biden gets shat on nonstop by every corner of the public discourse, even by (and perhaps especially by) the more self-proclaimed left sides of the spectrum.

    personally i don't care if he's 130 and incoherent, because i find the hero-worship mentality of the president in the US kind of disgusting and i don't think that one person should be a figurehead for the entire country as a society in the first place, i only care that when he's trotted out in front of the cameras he's not being a socially regressive fascist asscunt.
    which btw biden WAS (a socially regressive asscunt) for most of the last 50 years, so it's been rather interesting to see him being not-that.
    if he's senile and being lead around like a puppet, the puppeteers controlling him seem a decent sort so i'm content to let them keep doing it.

    biden's brain could be a hollowed out honeydew melon filled with cottage cheese and he would still be better for the advancement of civilization than any elected republican that has held office since nixon.
    Last edited by Malkiah; 2023-11-08 at 08:46 PM.

  2. #16782
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    15,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You're gonna have to qualify the bolded for me. Dude still goes on regular bike rides, which is not something someone in poor health who might die at any time can do.

    Completely senile? Is he senile now?

    Ignore what he's told by younger people because he's old? Because Joe hasn't radically changed his positions compared to his Senate days already?

    This is weird to me. I get it, he's an old guy who sometimes does the old man walk and he has a stutter that rears its head from time to time. I wish we had someone a big younger and fuller of vigor and all, but honestly all three of your primary concerns seem fairly baseless given available evidence and reality.
    They ain't my primary concerns, I don't think that's gonna happen, as I said it is all doubtful. Given how Trump is still trucking along and clearly takes worse care of himself, Joe will be fine.

    As to justifiable, I don't mean it in any hardcore definition, but it's understandable why people would be concerned. Better word than justifiable, I guess.

  3. #16783
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    if he's senile and being lead around like a puppet, the puppeteers controlling him seem a decent sort so i'm content to let them keep doing it.
    Yep. And even then he's still clearly got a few in the chamber still, his off-script SOTU comments and trolling of Republicans are an example of that. Every now and then he comes out with a real off the cuff zinger to the press, too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    They ain't my primary concerns, I don't think that's gonna happen, as I said it is all doubtful. Given how Trump is still trucking along and clearly takes worse care of himself, Joe will be fine.

    As to justifiable, I don't mean it in any hardcore definition, but it's understandable why people would be concerned. Better word than justifiable, I guess.
    I interpreted you calling them "justifiable" as viewing that they held some real weight, my mistake on misinterpreting.

    "Understandable" works if folks are getting their news from broadcast TV and shit, I'm increasingly disappointed and impressed at how the overall quality of those news channels continues to sink further and further. I'm not shocked because this is the necessary end of for-profit media and how they must operate and all, but I'll still gripe about it.

  4. #16784
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You're gonna have to qualify the bolded for me. Dude still goes on regular bike rides, which is not something someone in poor health who might die at any time can do.

    Completely senile? Is he senile now?

    Ignore what he's told by younger people because he's old? Because Joe hasn't radically changed his positions compared to his Senate days already?

    This is weird to me. I get it, he's an old guy who sometimes does the old man walk and he has a stutter that rears its head from time to time. I wish we had someone a big younger and fuller of vigor and all, but honestly all three of your primary concerns seem fairly baseless given available evidence and reality.
    I think the main problem with Biden isn't really his age but expectations, no one was clamoring for two terms of Joe Biden heck he wouldn't have gotten one without Trump. The hope was that after Trump got defeated he would fade into obscurity and the threat would be gone then Joe would step down after one term. Frankly democrats are just tired of voting for lesser than two evils, Trump has a cult and being a democrat is like being a fan for a bad sports team. Democrats are very bad at making people feel that they are fighting for them or winning. At the base level that's what democrats have always lacked the feeling that they are winning, it feels like you are always eating crow.

  5. #16785
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Frankly democrats are just tired of voting for lesser than two evils
    which is ironic, given that biden through this first term has been the least "lesser of two evils" that we've had in this country in probably 60+ years.

    Democrats are very bad at making people feel that they are fighting for them or winning. At the base level that's what democrats have always lacked the feeling that they are winning, it feels like you are always eating crow.
    well i mean... two things:
    1. i think it says a lot about the US population if they need to be told that they're winning when they're winning.
    2. the democrats are a staid conservative party - and i don't mean that as an insult, i think the dems are about the most perfect model of a conservative party any country could ever hope for, they are everything a conservative party should be.
    but, they ARE a conservative party and so excitement and "winning" isn't built into the formula.
    a proper respectable conservative party - one that is hesitant to embrace change but willing to face problems head on and implement real solutions but in a reserved way that tries to not rock the boat - isn't sexy or thrilling.

    IMO american voters need to wake the fuck up and realize that they have the option of a good and proper conservative party, or a regressive christofascist death cult and those are simply the two options. there are no other choices. there are no other variables.
    pick one, or opt out and be done with it.

  6. #16786
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,752
    Today, we honor the story of our veterans—the story of our nation at its best.

    On Veterans Day, let's recommit to fulfilling our one sacred obligation as a nation: to prepare those we send into harm's way and care for them and their families when they come home.
    -- President Joe Biden

  7. #16787
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    -- President Joe Biden
    Reading this and the former president's statement, it's incredible to see the contrast. This feels warm and welcoming, the other felt fueled by rage and a cry for war

  8. #16788
    See I absolutely understand the argument that Biden's age is an issue. But Trump is 3,5 years younger. So his age is equally an issue and his health should by all accounts be worse. You can definitely claim that Biden had a solid chance of experiencing dementia in his next term (and dementia can settle rapidly, a friend just had his grandma go from fully functional to needing a caretaker 24/7 in the span of half a year). But so can Trump. There would be an argument if his likely opponent in the elections was anyone else but that's just not the case.

  9. #16789
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    See I absolutely understand the argument that Biden's age is an issue. But Trump is 3,5 years younger. So his age is equally an issue and his health should by all accounts be worse. You can definitely claim that Biden had a solid chance of experiencing dementia in his next term (and dementia can settle rapidly, a friend just had his grandma go from fully functional to needing a caretaker 24/7 in the span of half a year). But so can Trump. There would be an argument if his likely opponent in the elections was anyone else but that's just not the case.
    Another part of that argument is that Biden actually surrounded himself with competent people as opposed to what Trump did during his time in office, so even if something happens with Biden there are people who can keep things running while that gets sorted out. Under Trump it was and would be just a melee of people grabbing whatever isn't nailed down before abandoning ship.

    Biden was not my first choice in 2020 primaries--he barely made the top five--and I still wish there was another Democrat running, but I'll take octogenarian Biden over anyone from the current GOP any day.

  10. #16790
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/14/w...e=articleShare

    Ukrainian police and prosecutors have accused two politicians and a former prosecutor of treason, saying they colluded with a Russian intelligence agency in aiding an effort by Rudolph W. Giuliani several years ago to tie the Biden family to corruption in Ukraine.

    Those accused include Kostyantyn Kulyk, a former Ukrainian deputy prosecutor general who had drafted a memo in 2019 suggesting Ukraine investigate Hunter Biden, President Biden’s son, for his role serving on the board of a Ukrainian energy company.
    Also implicated were a current member of Ukraine’s Parliament, Oleksandr Dubinsky, and a former member, Andriy Derkach, who had publicly advocated for an investigation in Ukraine into Hunter Biden. They had also promoted a spurious theory that it was Ukraine, and not Russia, that had meddled in the 2016 presidential election in the United States.

    The three were indicted on charges of treason and belonging to a criminal organization. The charges refer to “information-subversive activities” and focus on actions in 2019 before the American presidential election. They do not say if or when the activity stopped.

    In the run-up to the 2020 election in the United States, Mr. Giuliani and later former President Donald J. Trump had encouraged Ukrainian officials to follow up on the allegations against Hunter Biden. The effort included a phone call by Mr. Trump to President Volodymyr Zelensky in July of 2019 urging an investigation into the Bidens, at a time when the Trump administration was withholding military aid for the Ukrainian Army.

    Critics say that pressure to investigate the Bidens was politically motivated, aimed at harming the elder Mr. Biden’s chances against Mr. Trump in the 2020 presidential election.
    Would not be remotely surprising if Rudy was the very useful idiot he always appeared to be, or that Russian agents played him (and other Republicans) like a fiddle.

    Damn, who would have ever thought Russia was involved in Republican efforts to generate conspiracy theories about Joe Biden?!

  11. #16791
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    See I absolutely understand the argument that Biden's age is an issue. But Trump is 3,5 years younger. So his age is equally an issue and his health should by all accounts be worse. You can definitely claim that Biden had a solid chance of experiencing dementia in his next term (and dementia can settle rapidly, a friend just had his grandma go from fully functional to needing a caretaker 24/7 in the span of half a year). But so can Trump. There would be an argument if his likely opponent in the elections was anyone else but that's just not the case.
    Biden’s age is less an issue than any other issue with any of the Republican candidates, most of all trump
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  12. #16792
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,752
    How good are things in the US right now?

    FOX News is running the White House cocaine story again.

    Because when I'm in a library, I know I'm in a library because there are books everywhere. Does it look like there's books everywhere? That's a wall of cubbies. They say the coke was found in locker number 50 right there in the middle. And there's a key missing. And what do you think the chances are that the Secret Service has the key? Because "Primetime" thinks the coke may have been planted in the cubby after it was found in the library.
    Yeah, this is a story from July.

  13. #16793
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Biden’s age is less an issue than any other issue with any of the Republican candidates, most of all trump
    See, that is a good point. Just a shame Republican voters just don't fucking care. Only the other team can ever do any wrong

  14. #16794
    Let's just be thankful that if Trump loses the 2024 election he won't get another chance due to age and health concerns. I am sure he will be a annoying vocal insect until the day he dies but at least he won't be anywhere near the Oval Office again.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

  15. #16795
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Let's just be thankful that if Trump loses the 2024 election he won't get another chance due to age and health concerns.
    To bring up my recurring failure, I did say in 2020 he would read the polls, realize he was going to lose, fake an illness/injury and drop out.

    The current polls, and his legal defense being "crown myself God-Emperor", prevent this. He will run for office while in a cremation urn if he has to.

  16. #16796
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    How good are things in the US right now?

    FOX News is running the White House cocaine story again.



    Yeah, this is a story from July.
    Who is "Primetime"? Is this show sentient?

    Also, how've Jesse's ratings been? I've caught his bit a few times and it hasn't been impressive, he keeps trying jokes and they keep being deeply unfunny.

    I'd argue that if they're having to dig back 4 months to find a "Biden scandal" to talk about then things are going pretty damned good in the Biden administration.

  17. #16797
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    To bring up my recurring failure, I did say in 2020 he would read the polls, realize he was going to lose, fake an illness/injury and drop out.

    The current polls, and his legal defense being "crown myself God-Emperor", prevent this. He will run for office while in a cremation urn if he has to.
    You think Trump can mentally and physically (health) ride that McDonalds train to 2028?
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

  18. #16798
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    You think Trump can mentally and physically (health) ride that McDonalds train to 2028?
    Oh, fuck no. Have you seen Armageddon?

    "Can they physically survive the trip?"
    "Personally, I don't know how they survived the tests."

    In addition to his weight and age, Trump's mind isn't even as clear as it was in 2016, which in turn wasn't great.

  19. #16799
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oh, fuck no. Have you seen Armageddon?

    "Can they physically survive the trip?"
    "Personally, I don't know how they survived the tests."

    In addition to his weight and age, Trump's mind isn't even as clear as it was in 2016, which in turn wasn't great.
    You sure you're not thinking of Space Cowboys? Because that seems applicable here.

  20. #16800
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    You think Trump can mentally and physically (health) ride that McDonalds train to 2028?
    No and no. And I think trump losing twice in a row (which the sane and rational world is very much hoping he does) would very clearly end any chance he has. His lawsuits and criminal trials would have come to a conclusion by that point as well.

    I think most republicans outside of trump’s sycophants roll their eyes at the thought of voting for trump, but will do it because he tows the line of their single-button issue or “just isn’t a filthy democrat.” They’ll be extra done if he loses yet again and then starts up with his same unhinged bullshit and expects people to care for four more years beyond that. And that’s to say nothing as to how he’ll appear as a two-time complaining loser to moderates.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •