Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Claiming you know you're privileged and following it up by declaring that you're refusing to do the bare minimum to help those that are less privileged because your perception is skewed isn't the slam dunk you think it is, champ. But I'm sure you'll go on thinking you're some sort of paragon of virtue because hey, at least you stated you know you're better off on a gaming forum.
    i shouldn't be bothering here but i'm absolutely fascinated by this.
    like... what the fuck are you even smoking? or is this kind of laughable idiocy recreational for you?

firstly i'm not refusing to do the bare minimum, i'm making the choice for myself (and myself only) to not participate in a system i find morally disagreeable, and i'm acknowledging that both the circumstances of my geography (being that i live in an unalterably democratic district) and my myriad privileges makes it easy for me to make that choice for myself since none of this has any material consequence for me either way.

secondly, "voting" in my circumstance isn't the bare minimum, voting in my circumstance is doing literally nothing. it's not even masturbation, it's just thinking about maybe masturbating at some point.

thirdly, i don't think i'm a paragon of anything - i never said that not voting is the correct choice, or that voting is the wrong choice, or that anyone else should emulate my behavior.
    i didn't say voting is pointless as a general practice, i didn't say voting is for losers, i didn't say voting doesn't accomplish anything, i didn't say that the consequences of voting can't be forces for incremental change. i agree with everything gaidax said.

i'm not the one making a moral issue out of voting as a general concept, nor staking a claim as to the superiority of one choice over the other, that's entirely on you.

do you even fathom how much of the tedious bullshit you're dragging into this has nothing to do even tangentially with what i actually said?
    Last edited by Malkiah; 2024-03-03 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    well then this is my last reply to you so have fun with your imaginationland.
    *follows it up with another word salad demonstrating their lack of empathy ("no consequence for me") and/or complete ignorance on how much damage voter apathy does*

So principled. Much wow.

The discussion has taken a turn to animosity not all that relevant to Biden or Harris. Please get back on topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Respecting other people at a basic level" is not claiming sainthood, dude.
    It must seem miraculous to people who are incapable of it.
    /s

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...ans-rcna141875

Joe Biden tries to save Americans some money on credit card late fees that are pointless and largely just punish lower income folks.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau said in a release Tuesday that a proposed $8 cap for a typical late fee would help save consumers a cumulative $10 billion.

“For over a decade, credit card giants have been exploiting a loophole to harvest billions of dollars in junk fees from American consumers,” CFPB Director Rohit Chopra said. “Today’s rule ends the era of big credit card companies hiding behind the excuse of inflation when they hike fees on borrowers and boost their own bottom lines.

President Joe Biden has made targeting "junk" fees a major focus of his administration. Earlier Tuesday, he announced the formation of a task force targeting unfair and illegal pricing schemes.
    Which is honestly a great move, even if the fees existing is regressive as hell to begin with and basically a tax on not bring rich. Unsurprisingly -

But the credit card industry and other financial associations are already hitting out at the CFPB's proposed new rule, saying it could lead to unintended consequences for consumers.

In a statement, Rob Nichols, the president and CEO of the American Bankers Association, called the proposal "flawed," arguing it could actually result in more late payments and ultimately lower credit scores. It could also have a knock-on effect for card users who do pay what they owe on time, Nichols said.

"The Bureau’s misguided decision to cap credit card late fees at a level far below banks’ actual costs will force card issuers to reduce credit lines, tighten standards for new accounts and raise APRs for all consumers — even those who pay on time," Nichols said.

The Consumer Bankers Association, another trade group, echoed those concerns.

“The rule’s policy goals are, at best, consumer redistribution, not consumer protection,” the organization's president and chief executive, Lindsey Johnson, said in a statement.
    At no point do the banks think that they need to charge these fees to their customers who have plenty of money, though. They might lose those customers and they like having access to their money!

Later Tuesday afternoon, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce announced it was suing over the proposal.

“Once again, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has exceeded its authority," the business group said in a statement. "The agency’s final credit card late fee rule punishes Americans who pay their credit card bills on time by forcing them to pay for those who don’t. This will result in fewer card offerings and limit access to affordable credit for many consumers."
    The CFPB has been one of the most pro-consumer agencies in the government created in most of our lifetimes, and we may die with that still being true.

The proposed rule would apply only to large credit card companies. Currently, credit card companies can charge as much as $30 for a first late payment under a law enacted in the wake of the 2008-09 financial crisis.

The CFPB said it had reviewed market data to arrive at the $8 late fee it is proposing. As part of the new rule, the CFPB would nevertheless allow banks to charge higher late fees under a "show your work" provision.

Nichols of the bankers' association said that the $8 level is "far below" banks’ actual cost of managing late fees and that the association is likely to challenge it.
    Wouldn't impact smaller banks and cards, and they could still charge high fees if they showed they were necessary.

I do wonder if there's any Republican support for saving Americans money by capping late fees for things like credit cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...ans-rcna141875

Joe Biden tries to save Americans some money on credit card late fees that are pointless and largely just punish lower income folks.
    So you are telling me that if Biden does pro-active policies and saying "Eff Congress' we can cheer these policies. If, well when Republicans block or protest this than Biden can use this in the campaign of Republicans don't want to protect consumers.

Obviously this is great and I pointed out as an attack Biden can surely go after is the latest in Late Stage Capitalism of "nickel and diming" consumers. Everything has a fee now or things that used to be standard are now an a fee. Of course credit cards been running this forever(?), so attacking them is a great move.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    So you are telling me that if Biden does pro-active policies and saying "Eff Congress' we can cheer these policies.
    Yeah, saying this is an "Eff Congress" move implies both A) that Biden through Congress for this but didn't, and B) that Biden can just ignore Congress to do other things.

Neither one is true, and propogating this lie serves only to embolden people against him, to the Republicans' benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Yeah, saying this is an "Eff Congress" move implies both A) that Biden through Congress for this but didn't, and B) that Biden can just ignore Congress to do other things.

Neither one is true, and propogating this lie serves only to embolden people against him, to the Republicans' benefit.

I once more sooooi many times have explained of Biden, the President being proactive will either A) make popular policies that the public should love or B) If Republicans oppose, use as campaign crudgel against them.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2024-03-06 at 12:44 AM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post

I think you misunderstood, he is saying that Biden can in fact enact popular policies and force the republican party to defend taking it away from Americans. Biden is basically doing politics 101 which shows the base that he is fighting for them while putting republicans on the backfoot. The fact that he doesn't do that very often really hurts him in terms of messaging and is the reason for the lackluster enthusiasm for him.

I once more sooooi many times have explained of Biden, the President being proactive will either A) make popular policies that the public should love or B) If Republicans oppose, use as campaign crudgel against them.
    Sure. But describing him as doing so by saying "Eff Congress" implies that he's somehow circumventing them (he's not) and that he could do so in the future (he can't).

You can make this point without furthering the erroneous notion that he could somehow be doing more if he were only willing to defy the legislature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden goes after Trump in strikingly political State of the Union address

President Biden drew a sharp contrast with former President Trump and Republican lawmakers in Thursday’s State of the Union address, using the bully pulpit to harp on issues that will shape the general election campaign and sell voters on his first three years in office.

President Biden’s remarks, which lasted just more than an hour, could at times be mistaken for a campaign address. The president did not refer to Trump by name at any point, but he said “my predecessor” 13 times throughout his speech, according to prepared remarks provided by the White House.

Just minutes into the speech, he referred to Trump’s suggestion that he would let Russian President Vladimir Putin “do whatever the hell he wants” if NATO allies had not spent enough on defense, calling those remarks “dangerous and unacceptable.”

In short order, President Biden spoke about threats to democracy, the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, which drew eye rolls from Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) and threats to abortion access and reproductive health care, all of which are key pillars of his reelection bid.

“My purpose tonight is to wake up the Congress and alert the American people this is no ordinary moment,” President Biden said. “Not since President Lincoln and the Civil War have freedom and democracy been under assault at home as they are today. What makes our moment rare is that freedom and democracy are under attack both at home and overseas at the very same time.”

President Biden again blamed Trump for tanking a bipartisan border security bill in the Senate for political reasons and called on congressional Republicans to pass the legislation. He touted provisions in the bill, which was negotiated by senators and endorsed by the White House, with lead GOP negotiator Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.), who sat in the chamber, nodding his head and saying, “that’s true.”

Some GOP lawmakers wore pins to raise awareness for Laken Riley, a University of Georgia student who was killed last month by a Venezuelan migrant, according to police. When Biden was entering the chamber, he came across Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) who showed him her pin and told the president “say her name.”

During his address when Biden spoke about the border, Greene yelled out from her seat in the audience: “It’s about Laken Riley.” Others shouted, “say her name.” President Biden, in response, held up a Laken Riley pin he was given and said her name.

“Laken Riley, an innocent young woman who was killed by an illegal,” he said, speaking off the cuff. “To her parents I say my heart goes out to you having lost children myself. I understand,” he said looking up at the gallery in the chamber.

The president also introduced the sister of a student killed in the Uvalde, Texas, elementary school shooting and contrasted his focus on gun violence with Trump’s connections to the National Rifle Association.

President Biden touted the Affordable Care Act, also known as ObamaCare, saying “it’s still a pretty big deal,” harkening back to when he was famously caught on a hot mic in 2010 telling then-President Obama that the landmark health care legislation was a “big fucking deal.”

“Over 100 million of you can no longer be denied health insurance because of preexisting conditions,” he said. “But my predecessor and many in this chamber want to take that protection away by repealing the Affordable Care Act. I’m not going to let that happen.”

“You can’t lead America with ancient ideas that only take us back,” President Biden said. “To lead America, the land of possibilities, you need a vision for the future of what America can and should be. Tonight you’ve heard mine.”

While President Biden periodically stumbled over his words, he had no major hiccups during the speech and appeared energized as he mingled with lawmakers on the aisle going in and out of the chamber. He stopped and took selfies with members of Congress.

The president’s speech was sprinkled with off the cuff moments, including when he sparred with Greene, chided Republicans for pushing a tax cut for the wealthy, and quipped once he arrived at the rostrum: “If I were smart, I’d go home now.”

President Biden, 81, referenced his age, which polling has indicated is a major concern for voters, to close his remarks and as a final poke at Trump.

“I know it may not look like it, but I’ve been around a while. When you get to my age certain things become clearer than ever,” he said. “My lifetime has taught me to embrace freedom and democracy. A future based on the core values that have defined America. Honesty. Decency. Dignity. Equality.”

Now some other people my age see a different story. An American story of resentment, revenge, and retribution. That’s not me,” he added.
    So, you know what they say about giving Batman prep time? That just happened. Trump and his rabid cult were too childishly easy to predict and Biden cut them off on every angle.

For a senile guy he sure went off-script and successfully baited Republicans quite a few times. How embarrassing that must be for Republicans to get played by an apparently senile octogenarian.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The beautiful part in this game of chess is... they don't even need to.

That's why I said initially - all they need to do is nothing and just let the crisis explode on Biden's watch.

Shutdown is another part of this puzzle by the way, it will burn another big chunk of time to address the illegal immigration crisis, it will help Republicans to do effectively nothing, which is precisely what they need.

It's a simple game of race to the bottom. Republicans may get some damage, but not even close to what Biden will sustain with this crisis going out of control.
    They're gonna be waiting a long time. If anyone expects immigrants to destroy the west they're gonna be waiting a long time. We've been hearing this same xenophobic line since the 90's.

*Picks up phone* What's that you say? We've been fighting it for much much longer? Oh right..

Immigration has never put pressure on us economically before, it's only ever put pressure on us culturally because some asshats can't exist within the same 100 miles as an immigrant and be happy. Their lives are miserable and their marching orders are from the top that it's illegal immigrants. They never see these illegal immigrants in the real world of course. I'm sure you "see" them many days of your life of course, but unknowingly. They're constantly told that illegal immigrants are EVERYWHERE THREATENING OUR COUNTRY and yet they go outside and never see the roving bands of Mexican cartels.

So there won't ever be any kinda immigrant crisis.

Not that I expect the GOP voters to notice that this issue is only trotted out once every 2-4 years during election cycles to whip their base into a frenzy. Remember the immigrant crisis in 2020 when there was a huge caravan of migrants headed for our border and Trump needed to remain president so he could stop it? Then the election happened and that caravan vanished off the face of the earth and was replaced by conservative scheming.

Anyway would just like to note that I was ready to be bored by Biden but he absolutely nailed those Republicans to the cross. Johnson sitting behind Biden the entire time shaking his head and looking down like the coward he is when Biden was talking about how Republicans wanted to cut Medicare. He knows that's a losing issue and is why Republicans stopped talking about it after it failed them for a few months. He still WANTS to cut medicare, and he'll probably attempt to. But they're running shitless.

- - - Updated - - -

For a senile guy he sure went off-script and successfully baited Republicans quite a few times. How embarrassing that must be for Republicans to get played by an apparently senile octogenarian.
    "Biden completely destroyed Republicans with sharp wit and quick thinking, here's why that's bad for him" -NYTimes

Love how the response from Republicans is "HOW DARE YOU SPEAK IN SUCH A DIVISIVE TONE" when that's all they've been doing for months. They cheer at Trump talking about bringing revenge on his enemies and they tone police Biden about division.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    "Biden completely destroyed Republicans with sharp wit and quick thinking, here's why that's bad for him" -NYTimes

Love how the response from Republicans is "HOW DARE YOU SPEAK IN SUCH A DIVISIVE TONE" when that's all they've been doing for months. They cheer at Trump talking about bringing revenge on his enemies and they tone police Biden about division.
    I've already seen some of the rumblings of the expected bullshit coverage. "Biden needed to be a uniter but he spent the whole time campaigning and fighting." - probably written by Van Jones or something if he's not busy talking about how tonight was the first night Biden grew into the presidency.

I did have a fun time watching Johnson squirm a bit behind Joe, though, because he seems like the kind of person you want to play poker against. Because his frustration in his caucus acting like children and being repeatedly baited and manipulated by a senile octogenarian was delightful. I'm sure he'll tell them he's very disappointed in them all tomorrow, and will be ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Biden needed to be a uniter but he spent the whole time campaigning and fighting."
    This is a fair thing to say...for anyone who isn't a Trump supporter. Trump is so intentionally divisive, he led a murderous insurrection. He is objectively worse than anyone since 1865,

Later in the speech, Biden got into a back-and-forth with Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene about Laken Riley, a University of Georgia student who was killed last month. An undocumented Venezuelan immigrant has been arrested in connection with her death.

In the exchange, Biden said Riley had been "killed by an illegal," which drew

C'mon Joe!!! Why the fuck would you fall for this bait, this troll.

I'm not going to try to do semantics of the word "illegal" or migrant. You can fall for it though and use this labeling when that's what they wanted.

The other story was MTG being a troll, which you should expect. She is disgusting, which is why you should ignore her.

Yes, Biden tried to humanize it the follow up, remember it's about sound bites. You think Republicans are going to add nuance to anything?

Let's see how much backlash and hype this gets.

(Maybe everybody knows this, but the word "illegal" as a reference to illegal immigrants was struck from the Democratic dictionary many years ago. I was shocked to see him go there to make the case for a bill.)
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2024-03-08 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Biden did what he needed to do...Republican response was the worst ever
    Yeah, the Stepford wives look with the greenscreen, made her look like the Republicans' wet dream. A woman in the kitchen. The only thing, she isn't pregnant and barefoot cooking a meal for her husband and tending to their 4 white Aryan children.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've already seen some of the rumblings of the expected bullshit coverage. "Biden needed to be a uniter but he spent the whole time campaigning and fighting." - probably written by Van Jones or something if he's not busy talking about how tonight was the first night Biden grew into the presidency.

I did have a fun time watching Johnson squirm a bit behind Joe, though, because he seems like the kind of person you want to play poker against. Because his frustration in his caucus acting like children and being repeatedly baited and manipulated by a senile octogenarian was delightful. I'm sure he'll tell them he's very disappointed in them all tomorrow, and will be ignored.
    The only way to "unite" the country when it's confronted by the rise of fascism within the Republican Party is to offer to burn that rot out of the nation with hot iron. That's how you "unite"; by shaming those who preach division into hiding their faces and beliefs for fear of public persecution and abuse for the rest of their goddamned lives.

Like you would with Nazis.

Because there's no real difference between the two at this point.

If you allow such rhetoric to hold a position of power in your country (and by that I mean any elected position at any level anywhere, not just federally), divisiveness is already indelibly part of your makeup. You have to purge it if you want to bring the country together. They're the problem. They're the black mold behind the drywall that's now staining through the walls and making everyone sick. Not taking the time to eliminate it or at minimum seal it away means your country dies.

Biden's not taking a strong enough stance. But he's not in a position to be able to, and I understand that. I'm mostly just saying this has to be seen as a "good start", not "a step over the line".

10+ Year Old Account
    C'mon Joe!!! Why the fuck would you fall for this bait, this troll.
    Valid complaint, I didn't see that earlier. I thought he shut her down by not only acknowledging the death, but then, bringing up a victim of gun violence immediately afterwards. Everyone knew she was going to act like a shrilling brat, and should have been ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The only way to "unite" the country when it's confronted by the rise of fascism within the Republican Party is to offer to burn that rot out of the nation with hot iron. That's how you "unite"; by shaming those who preach division into hiding their faces and beliefs for fear of public persecution and abuse for the rest of their goddamned lives.

Like you would with Nazis.

Because there's no real difference between the two at this point.
    This is a tad extreme.

...I didn't say it was wrong, however. Simply put, yes, compromising with people whose sole political motive is revenge and hatred is a flawed premise. "I see that you have broken into my house and want to take my belongings, let's compromise, you can take half of them and I won't call the police". That's just stupid. I don't see the GOP compromising and letting half the undocumenteds stay.