Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

DeSantis to bus migrants to Delaware, but spokesperson says Cubans exempt

So this seems to be a strategy of Governor Abbott, Ducey and now DeSantis. Conservatives are trying to score political points here by saying "here they are your problem, if you want em take them". In a very calculate move also move to Democrat states, which in turn the people of those states and cities resent the new immigrants putting pressure on their system. The tactic I believe they are using is the immigrant must choose to be transported so this is not see as any form of kidnapping.

On the Democrat or progressive side they see this as stoking white nativism by moving immigrants from Latin countries to cities that will stoke identity politics through nationalities.

Right now as humanity policy this is very bad, but honestly politically it's going to score some real points. The point here is they are putting what they say are a problem on the Democrat door steps. If any city cries out its a stress on their welfare, charity or any program then the Republicans will use this as ammunition.

The danger policy is states declaring an all out war in some way of say shipping their waste to some state since they might have more garbage. Likely I guess Blue States finding policy of money and not giving to the welfare states.

Now let's get to the juicy part. DeSantis gave an exception to Cubans. Hmmmmmm? I wonder why Cubans are exempt from being bussed. In the video around 1:50 mark there is pushback from Dem candidates specifically calling out Cuban refugees and DeSantis quickly scrambled and stated they are political refugees escaping Communism. Yes, people should understand the hypocrisy of people escaping oppression from other Latino countries.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I wonder if the Cuban community in Florida is a large voting block that historically supports Republicans or something.

Do you think that might be a factor?

Time for them to cut federal funding to these states and transfer it to the states receiving those people.

watch how fast they stop this BS
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Desantis showing his pettiness side again. Or are both sides petty and one side is just pettier than the other?

If he wins the Presidency we are screwed.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

5+ Year Old Account
    Well isn't it fair that self proclaimed Sanctuary cities take these people in? That's what they want, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Well isn't it fair that self proclaimed Sanctuary cities take these people in? That's what they want, after all.
    Do you even know what a sanctuary city is?

You're missing the point.

No, selectively deporting migrants based on political demographics is NOT fair.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Do you even know what a sanctuary city is?
    You don't really expect MAGAts to care about such trivial things as facts, do you?

This is a question that probably gets asked everytime one of these GQP governors does this...but how is this not human trafficking?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    This is a question that probably gets asked everytime one of these GQP governors does this...but how is this not human trafficking?
    Across state lines, nonetheless

So. Bus Trail of Tears? Great. Jusssst great.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I had this thought as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see the GOP governors pulling this crap arrested for human trafficking.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

I believe they are skirting the human trafficking part in that these immigrants have volunteered to be bussed. Simply they were asked if they wanted to go to NYC and they say "Yes". Now, Idk about the law and if they are actually being truthful with these immigrants. Just wanted to put this out there.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like we found the guy who is supplying us with all the so called illegal voters and welfare leeches. Thanks DeSantis! We will get these people payers in a sanctuary city then sens them out to red states in 2024 to sreal anothet election. Soros didnt even have to fund it this time. Dark Brandon approves.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Kind of making this into a DeSantis mega-thread.

How DeSantis manipulates the media :: it is clear why DeSantis didn't offer details. Many charged were simply confused about their eligibility to vote. Several were told by state and local officials they were eligible to vote - by Judd Legum

On August 18, in a "campaign-style event," Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R) announced that 20 people had been arrested "for breaking Florida’s elections laws." In a press release, DeSantis' office set aside the presumption of innocence, branding the group "election criminals." The accused, according to DeSantis, were previously stripped of their right to vote after being convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense but voted in the 2020 election.

The charges were the first brought by the Florida Office of Election Crimes and Security, a new entity created by the Florida legislature at DeSantis' request earlier this year. The 20 voters account for 0.0000018% of the 11 million ballots cast in Florida's 2020 election. DeSantis described the arrests as the tip of the iceberg. “It’s not just going to be 20 arrests,” DeSantis said. “This is the opening salvo of an office that was just set up on July 1.”

DeSantis created the Office of Election Crimes and Security as he runs for reelection in Florida this year and considers a run for the presidency in 2024. At the state and national level, DeSantis' future hinges on his ability to appeal to Republican voters, many of whom erroneously believe Biden stole the 2020 election from Trump.

DeSantis' event successfully generated headlines that would appeal to Republican voters looking for validation of Trump's false claims about election fraud:
    In short DeSantis is a master manipulator in of the media and feeding his minions with the red meat they crave.

Peter Washington, for example, is a 59-year-old man who was convicted of attempted sexual battery in 1996. He completed a 10-year sentence for his crime. According to a law enforcement affidavit obtained by Popular Information, Washington said that prior to his release, he was enrolled in a class to assist with his assimilation back into society. In class, he says he was told by a "probation officer that his civil rights would be automatically restored upon his release from prison." In 2019, long after his release and return to normal life, Washington "received a voter registration form in the mail, filled it out, and mailed it back to the Orange County Supervisor of Elections." Shortly thereafter, the "Orange County Supervisor of Elections office mailed him a voter card."

Washington also reported he "received jury summons on three separate occasions, which he reported for." In Florida, jury service is unavailable to ex-felons until their civil rights are restored. For this reason, Washington told the investigative officer, "he truly believed his civil rights had been restored."

Washington was not eligible to vote because of the nature of his offense. Amendment 4, which was approved by Florida voters in 2018, allows most ex-felons to have their voting rights restored. But there is an exception for individuals convicted of murder or felony sexual offenses. But the genuine confusion of Washington about his eligibility — a confusion that was apparently shared by Orange County — means that prosecutors may have difficulty securing a conviction.
    In short and I believe some have discussed this, that they were trumped up or false convictions to get press. Once more seems that they targeted convicted felons, who thru Florida law, voted by electors allowed them to vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Kind of making this into a DeSantis mega-thread.

How DeSantis manipulates the media :: it is clear why DeSantis didn't offer details. Many charged were simply confused about their eligibility to vote. Several were told by state and local officials they were eligible to vote - by Judd Legum

In short DeSantis is a master manipulator in of the media and feeding his minions with the red meat they crave.

In short and I believe some have discussed this, that they were trumped up or false convictions to get press. Once more seems that they targeted convicted felons, who thru Florida law, voted by electors allowed them to vote.
    DeathSentence is pure evil.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Ok, while this isn't about DeSantis, this is about the GOP bussing migrants to various cities where Democrats are in office. Well, one Democrat decided to just deflect said migrant busses and bus them to a Republican Suburb. Queue the whining from said Republican mayor about using migrants as political props when said other members of the GOP are doing the same thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...78a8f4b56feaf8

Democratic Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot sparked outrage after deciding to move 64 migrants on a bussed to the Windy City to a neighboring Republican suburb.

On Wednesday, 147 migrants were arrived in Chicago, city officials told Fox 32.

Hours later, 64 of them were taken to a Hampton Inn hotel in Burr Ridge - 20 miles southwest from downtown - where they will be housed for at least the next 30 days.

Republican Mayor of Burr Ridge, Gary Grasso, directed his anger at Lightfoot and Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker for using the migrants as 'political pawns.'

He said: 'We are very unhappy that nobody from the city, from the state called and told me'

Most of the migrants, who are refugees, come from South American countries, including Peru and Colombia.

'As is my understanding, this hotel, about a year ago, when refugees came in from Afghanistan, apparently accepted several either through faith-based or charitable organizations, but now the state assumes they can just send migrants…,' Grasso told Fox 32.

'This isn't about them, the migrants are fine, they're being used as political pawns by the governor and mayor,' he added.

The Greater Chicago Food Depository dropped off plates of flood at the hotel on Thursday for the legal refugees. Grasso added that no unaccompanied minors were among the 64 newcomers who were checked by the Chicago Health Department.

'We're more than happy for people to find freedom, it is hypocrisy by the mayor of Chicago to complain about the governor of Texas – I do agree with what he's doing – the city of Chicago says it's going to be a sanctuary city which I oppose – but there must be vacant hotel rooms in Chicago,' the mayor of Burr Ridge stressed.

'This is hundreds of people in a city of millions. Why are they sending them out to the Republican suburbs? You have to wonder,' Grasso said in a further dig at Lightfoot.

A representative of the Burr Ridge Village Hall told NBC5 that the 64 migrants were sent to the hotel after being originally housed at the Salvation Army Shield of Hope in Chicago.

The Hampton Inn, which was previously used to host refugees from Afghanistan, 'does not give carte blanche to the governor or the mayor to send a couple of bus loads of migrants to our village without telling us,' Grasso angrily expressed.

'The border situation on the southern border is a totally different situation than Afghan refugees. It's total arrogance for the state to assume they can send migrants to the suburbs around Chicago,' the Republican also said of the humanitarian crisis on the Texas-Mexico border.

Over the last week, more migrants have continued to arrive at the Salvation Army and other shelters in Chicago after being bused from Texas as part of an initiative from Gov. Greg Abbott designed to send asylum-seekers to northern, Democrat-led "sanctuary cities."

Chicago became a sanctuary city in 2012 when then-Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the City Council passed the Welcoming City Ordinance. The ordinance protects residents' rights to access city services regardless of immigration status.

It also states that Chicago police officers cannot arrest individuals on the basis of immigration status alone.

Lightfoot has slammed rival Abbott on several occasions for not having 'any morals, humanity or shame.'

'Let me say loud and clear to Greg Abbott and his enablers in Texas with these continued political stunts, Gov. Abbott has confirmed what unfortunately many of us had known already, that he is a man without any morals, humanity or shame,' the mayor of Chicago told reporters at a press conference on September 1.

The Illinois Department of Human Services released a statement in the aftermath of the migrant's arrival in Burr Ridge, in which it says that the village's new refugees are 'receiving temporary shelter in urban and suburban hotels that have provided refuge for vulnerable families from Afghanistan and other parts of the world.'

'We are grateful for the hospitality and care they have received from individuals and organizations across Illinois.'

'I'm glad that the American dream is still alive for a lot of people as it was for my grandparents when they came here and for most people that are in this country,' Grasso said in sympathy with the town's newcomers.

'So very happy for them,' he added. 'But unhappy that nobody from the city, from the state called and told me or my village administrator or any of our elected officials that this was happening.'

An estimated 300 migrants arrived Chicago last week, and city officials are now expecting more to come further into the fall from the US-Mexican border.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Ok, while this isn't about DeSantis, this is about the GOP bussing migrants to various cities where Democrats are in office. Well, one Democrat decided to just deflect said migrant busses and bus them to a Republican Suburb. Queue the whining from said Republican mayor about using migrants as political props when said other members of the GOP are doing the same thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...78a8f4b56feaf8
    I really love how Republicans have these circular arguments and contradict themselves in a single sentence these days.