Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    Hey just a thought, maybe now might not be the right time for the president-elect to shlock his merch while during a pandemic where people are starving and homeless. I know it's tradition, but maybe just like, refrain from doing it this time Joe. Or refrain from advertising it?

Just a really shit look right now.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1344424275818786816
    What a petty thing to get in a twist about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey just a thought, maybe now might not be the right time for the president-elect to shlock his merch while during a pandemic where people are starving and homeless. I know it's tradition, but maybe just like, refrain from doing it this time Joe. Or refrain from advertising it?

This is dijon mustard levels of being outraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    What a petty thing to get in a twist about.
    Wanna hear something crazy? In most countries in the world, their elected officials don't sell merch. Isn't that wild?

Wanna hear something crazy? In most countries in the world, their elected officials don't sell merch. Isn't that wild?
    Cool, so let's push Congress to pass HR-1 again and start tackling campaign finance reform so that once again, politicians do not need to ask us for our financial support.

I mean sure, it's dumb. But like, also holy fuck are we already at tan suit levels of controversy over the bog-standard selling of shitty merch leading into an inauguration?

15+ Year Old Account

As someone who's worked in merch before, I can say with almost 100% certainty that neither Biden nor anybody particularly important is actually spending time working on the merch. Biden likely put his signature on one paper, or maybe even someone with the authority to make these decisions for Biden did it, and a merch company as well as Biden's campaign is handling it. It's not that "It's tradition" it's that he's not the person even handling it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account

Gotta run after those $600 before someone else does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    As someone who's worked in merch before, I can say with almost 100% certainty that neither Biden nor anybody particularly important is actually spending time working on the merch. Biden likely put his signature on one paper, or maybe even someone with the authority to make these decisions for Biden did it, and a merch company as well as Biden's campaign is handling it. It's not that "It's tradition" it's that he's not the person even handling it.
    This explanation kind of makes the situation worse. He is not running a record label, he is running a country. Knowing what you sign off on and what's being done in your name is a little more serious than giving a marketing department too much authority.

Trump was criticized for it, as should Biden. Just because it's legally acceptable/traditional mean it's right, otherwise McConnell is a fricken saint. We're supposed to be moving past this crap, not adding to it.

Waiting for my blue MAGA Hat in the mail that I paid for with my stimulus check.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Wanna hear something crazy? It's still a petty thing to get in a twist about. Isn't that wild?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Gotta run after those $600 before someone else does.

- - - Updated - - -

This explanation kind of makes the situation worse. He is not running a record label, he is running a country. Knowing what you sign off on and what's being done in your name is a little more serious than giving a marketing department too much authority.

Trump was criticized for it, as should Biden. Just because it's legally acceptable/traditional mean it's right, otherwise McConnell is a fricken saint. We're supposed to be moving past this crap, not adding to it.

Waiting for my blue MAGA Hat in the mail that I paid for with my stimulus check.
    One of my complaints about Trump doing it was that it was overpriced. Not just normal merch overpriced but like $60 for a T-shirt overpriced. And even then, it was never really that big of a deal to me. Merch is one of those things that I pretty much expect to see from everyone. Though my biggest issue with the Trump merch wasn't it existing nor even the price, but the Trump cult constantly and incessantly whining and bitching about America first and all of that, and then the massively overpriced merch was made in China. Just looked and every Biden merch piece I clicked on was made in USA. But Biden was never complaining about outsourcing in the first place either. It's just a nice touch.

Merch is just one of those things that I expect everyone has self control over. It's not an inherently predatory cash grab like gacha games or the like. I've never known anyone who has a "merch problem". Trump was doing far more seedy shit to con people out of their money.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-01-02 at 05:37 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    One of my complaints about Trump doing it was that it was overpriced. Not just normal merch overpriced but like $60 for a T-shirt overpriced. And even then, it was never really that big of a deal to me. Merch is one of those things that I pretty much expect to see from everyone. Though my biggest issue with the Trump merch wasn't it existing nor even the price, but the Trump cult constantly and incessantly whining and bitching about America first and all of that, and then the massively overpriced merch was made in China. Just looked and every Biden merch piece I clicked on was made in USA. But Biden was never complaining about outsourcing in the first place either. It's just a nice touch.

Merch is just one of those things that I expect everyone has self control over. It's not an inherently predatory cash grab like gacha games or the like. I've never known anyone who has a "merch problem". Trump was doing far more seedy shit to con people out of their money.
    Its not about the merch itself. It's the tweet from his verified account that's pushing the merch. It's behavior I would expect from someone like Trump, not a guy who is trying to get actual work done.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

if fucking merch is the worst thing we have left to complain about its going to be an fantastic 4 years
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its not about the merch itself. It's the tweet from his verified account that's pushing the merch. It's behavior I would expect from someone like Trump, not a guy who is trying to get actual work done.
    A verified personal account. That's used, I imagine, primarily by his social team to post campaign messages and now use to raise money for the inauguration nonsense. Like almost every other account of a big politician, especially a septuagenarian that didn't quite grow up with the internet box and the social medias.

This is, again, pretty bog-standard shit. That they're using Twitter probably isn't even new.

What the fuck work isn't Biden getting done right now? We can disagree with some of his picks, but he's well on track with picking his cabinet and his team appears to be getting things in place to hit the ground running as best they can.

Seriously, this is getting "Chipotle-sneeze-guard gate" levels of silly over something so monumentally trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A verified personal account. That's used, I imagine, primarily by his social team to post campaign messages and now use to raise money for the inauguration nonsense. Like almost every other account of a big politician, especially a septuagenarian that didn't quite grow up with the internet box and the social medias.

This is, again, pretty bog-standard shit. That they're using Twitter probably isn't even new.

What the fuck work isn't Biden getting done right now? We can disagree with some of his picks, but he's well on track with picking his cabinet and his team appears to be getting things in place to hit the ground running as best they can.

Seriously, this is getting "Chipotle-sneeze-guard gate" levels of silly over something so monumentally trivial.
    want there an AOC sells a tshirt thread on this forum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Yeah, I wonder where the people who attacked AoC over that are now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Yep, get used to it. Incoming 4 years of trying to match outrage over Biden or AOC as a proxy, to that of Trump, but with far less material. We are already seeing outrage over shit like this, trying to match Trump casually encouraging shooting people at his rally. Got to get those clicks...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Yeah, I wonder where the people who attacked AoC over that are now.
    They are the same ones crying about Biden selling shirts.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Biden also didn’t claim to be against capitalism, so it’s not off brand. Either way, as I said then, this is a stupid controversy... call me when either one makes a form of apparel, into a required form of expressing support.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    call me when either one makes a form of apparel, into a required form of expressing support.
    That's what conservatives have been crying about constantly for months now. "Why do I have to wear a mask just 'cause leftists tell me to?!!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That's what conservatives have been crying about constantly for months now. "Why do I have to wear a mask just 'cause leftists tell me to?!!!"
    I was implying the red hat, but that works too...

Meanwhile, the virus moves on, gathering strength as time rolls by.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...th/ar-BB1cpL17

Title: COVID-19 model predicts 150,000 more US deaths within the next month

Well in this case the title accurately describes what the article is about.

Excerpt:

A top COVID-19 model predicts 150,000 more deaths in the U.S. in the next month as the country heads into what is anticipated to be the worst phase of the pandemic.

Projections from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation show the death toll over the next month could be far beyond that of December, which set a record at about 77,500.
    Since these kinds of estimates have recently been shown to be reasonably accurate, I am expecting January to be pretty close to what this article says. People in the US have declared victory over the virus, and are ready to open up and resume their old lifestyles. The new meme is "We can't AFFORD to stay closed down."

So doing a bit of math, 150k deaths divided by 31 days in January comes to almost 5k deaths average a day. The Thanksgiving surge really seemed to happen. I am expecting the Christmas surge to be just as real.

Biden / Harris will have their hands full by the time inauguration day rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    AOC's campaign is ONLY small donor funded, ie. you send direct donations or donate through buying merch. Joe Biden's campaign has corporate donors, he doesn't need to schlock merch. And I'm sorry but "inaugural merch" is fucking weird, why are we giving money to a guy we just elected who just won? What is he fundraising for, what is he going to do with the money?
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2021-01-03 at 05:21 AM.