https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1357398773782237186

The President continues to support the cancelling of student debt to bring relief to students and families. Our team is reviewing whether there are any steps he can take through executive action and he would welcome the opportunity to sign a bill sent to him by Congress.
    FUCK YOU, AUSTERITY NEOLIBERAL BIDEN!

Wait...he's reviewing executive authority on student loan forgiveness (up to $10K at least)? And signaling approval for legislation forgiving student loan debts?

Have we been lied to?

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    So worried about giving money to the wrong people....income caps...etc

But they have no problem letting this happen

They made smaller companies give back millions but did not say Boo about this.

https://apnews.com/article/catholic-...02cd16f04e37b2

Sitting on billions, Catholic dioceses amassed taxpayer aid

As the pandemic began to unfold, scores of Catholic dioceses across the U.S. received aid through the Paycheck Protection Program while sitting on well over $10 billion in cash, short-term investments or other available funds, an Associated Press investigation has found. And despite the broad economic downturn, these assets have grown in many dioceses.

Yet even with that financial safety net, the 112 dioceses that shared their financial statements, along with the churches and schools they oversee, collected at least $1.5 billion in taxpayer-backed aid. A majority of these dioceses reported enough money on hand to cover at least six months of operating expenses, even without any new income.

The financial resources of several dioceses rivaled or exceeded those available to publicly traded companies like Shake Shack and Ruth’s Chris Steak House, whose early participation in the program triggered outrage. Federal officials responded by emphasizing the money was intended for those who lacked the cushion that cash and other liquidity provide. Many corporations returned the funds.

Overall, the nation’s nearly 200 dioceses, where bishops and cardinals govern, and other Catholic institutions received at least $3 billion. That makes the Roman Catholic Church perhaps the biggest beneficiary of the paycheck program, according to AP’s analysis of data the U.S. Small Business Administration released following a public-records lawsuit by news organizations. The agency for months had shared only partial information, making a more precise analysis impossible.

By using a special exemption that the church lobbied to include in the paycheck program, Catholic entities amassed at least $3 billion — roughly the same as the combined total of recipients from the other faiths that rounded out the top five, AP found. Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist and Jewish faith-based recipients also totaled at least $3 billion. Catholics account for about a fifth of the U.S. religious population while members of Protestant and Jewish denominations are nearly half, according to the Pew Research Center.
    Hear that reddit? Time to sell gamestop and buy vatican bonds ?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...itarian-crisis

Whoa whoa whoa, what is this? Pro-austerity neoliberal Biden, who loves bombing people is ending US support of the Saudi operations in Yemen? And freezing arm sales to the Saudis?

I feel like we were warned that he was gonna ramp up bombing, this doesn't seem like he's ramping up bombing or supporting bombing in the middle east. What gives?
    I will concede that Biden has done quite a bit better than I expected. Here is an excerpt that I especially like (from your linked article).

Biden said the conflict in Yemen, which has killed more than 100,000 Yemenis and displaced 8 million, had “created a humanitarian and strategic catastrophe”.

“This war has to end,” Biden. “And to underscore our commitment, we’re ending all American support for offensive operations in the war in Yemen, including relevant arm sales.”
    I hope that you can stop beating up on Sanders supporters. I am still a Sanders and AOC supporter, and I am hoping that you will welcome us into your party, at least for now. This should be a time for celebration and for democratic unity. We will need it if we are going to be able to beat back the challenge of Trump supporters and McConnell.

Both factions of the democratic party united to strip Rep Greene of her committee positions. We need the factions to stay united going forward. After all, Rep Greene is still a member of the House, and is likely to be there for decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I hope that you can stop beating up on Sanders supporters.
    I'm not in any way doing so. I don't believe all Sanders supporters have called Biden a pro-austerity neoliberal warmonger etc. etc. Hell, I don't think many have gone to those extremes despite their disagreement with his more centrist policies.

I am still a Sanders and AOC supporter, and I am hoping that you will welcome us into your party, at least for now.
    I mean, I am too. I just didn't think Sanders had a chance to win a general election, and while I love his idealism I think he's far better in the Senate than in the Executive branch. He can do more good there. AOC is pretty solid as well, and has been by far the most impressive member of The Squad in terms of her ability to use her platforms to push discussions forward and the clout, especially in the face of Constant Republican attacks, to support good legislation and raise issues in public discussion.

Progressives have always been welcome in the Democratic party, even if they don't control the party because it's still depressingly centrist in many ways.

This should be a time for celebration and for democratic unity. We will need it if we are going to be able to beat back the challenge of Trump supporters and McConnell.
    Agree, and thankfully outside of Manchin and a few other shitheels, that's largely what we're seeing now that the election finger-pointing has died down and the work of governing has begun.

After all, Rep Greene is still a member of the House, and is likely to be there for decades to come.
    Maybe, I'm struggling to find much if any polling on her from her actual district, because those would be the only polls that matter. But mostly seeing national polls which don't mean squat.

https://www.ajc.com/news/to-her-n-ge...MJFTRKNAPQAHQ/

That's about all I've found, and it seems that she's pretty contentious even in her own district, absent additional data I think there's a fair shot she's could be primaried by a less lunatic Republican in the next few elections.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will concede that Biden has done quite a bit better than I expected. Here is an excerpt that I especially like (from your linked article).

I hope that you can stop beating up on Sanders supporters. I am still a Sanders and AOC supporter, and I am hoping that you will welcome us into your party, at least for now. This should be a time for celebration and for democratic unity. We will need it if we are going to be able to beat back the challenge of Trump supporters and McConnell.

Both factions of the democratic party united to strip Rep Greene of her committee positions. We need the factions to stay united going forward. After all, Rep Greene is still a member of the House, and is likely to be there for decades to come.
    I really doubt many (democrat) people have problems with AOC and Bernie, specifically.

The problems arose from people saying things like “because he doesn’t support this one pet issue as much as I’d like, Biden might as well be Trump” or other such false equivalence nonsense that could, intentionally or not, have contributed to driving people away from voting in 2020.

Removing trump from the White House wasn’t just about one specific progressive issue. As the events of January 6th and the lead up to them illustrates, it was literally about defeating a fascist, wholesale.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-02-05 at 01:10 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

@Omega10

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...essives-466044

Good piece on the topic at-hand. Apparently Biden is making a concerted effort to work with progressive lawmakers and groups since he became the nominee (like working with the Sanders campaign on updated policy positions).

Will it last? Who knows, I sure hope it will. But for now it's a great development, and I remain thrilled that Middle of the Road Centrist Joe is governing a whole lot more like a progressive than a moderate centrist. He's not perfect by any means, and I support keeping the pressure up on him to stay in the more progressive lane (OR GO FURTHER), but these are some good early days. Lots getting done quickly, and a lot of more progressive moves.

I think you're taking it personally when you really shouldn't. If you don't have one or two specific people on ignore then you should know who Edge is referring to when they make the "OMG AUSTERITY NEOLIBERAL!" comments. Technically I think it's trolling, so shame, shame, Edge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Never mention the beer sucks.
    Keep that up and you'll get a can of Rebellion Amber thrown at your face.
    Last edited by Masark; 2021-02-05 at 03:43 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Keep that up and you'll get a can of Rebellion Amber thrown at your face.
    I did enjoy Canadian beer in my youth when us "underage" guys would hit Vancouver night clubs. Fun times, fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Never mention the beer sucks.
    I'm a fan of Maudite... but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1357398773782237186

FUCK YOU, AUSTERITY NEOLIBERAL BIDEN!

Wait...he's reviewing executive authority on student loan forgiveness (up to $10K at least)? And signaling approval for legislation forgiving student loan debts?

Have we been lied to?
    The criticism I remember progressive having about Biden's position was the fact it wasn't wiping it out but forgiving it to a certain amount

10+ Year Old Account
    $15 min wage increase goes into the bill

Adopted, 51-50: S.Con.Res.5, Sanders Budget Resolution, as amended, with the VP voting in the affirmative.

Kamala looks pretty boss casting the final vote. I could (and have to) get used to this.
    Government Affiliated Snark

In more let’s attack “the left” news

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/b...-stimulus.html

Nyt claims all issues are the lefts fault with a title of “the lefts vaccine problem” fairness and balance! I'm convinced the writer is an idiot:

Giving vaccines based on age is extremely simple to execute. And it's not perfect on equity, but it's very good.

One example: Poorer 70-year-olds are more vulnerable to Covid than richer 70-year-olds. Vaccinate all 70 y.o.'s, and you disproportionately help the poorer ones.
    Ignores the fact the poorer 70-year-olds may not have access to get around and therefore less likely to get the vaccine.

He then goes on to applauded Alaskas, Dakotas, Oklahoma, and West Virginia while chastising New York...
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-02-05 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentGreymane View Post

Adopted, 51-50: S.Con.Res.5, Sanders Budget Resolution, as amended, with the VP voting in the affirmative.

Kamala looks pretty boss casting the final vote. I could (and have to) get used to this.
    Waking up to that news put a big ass smile on my face.

I'm 100% ok with getting use to this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PresidentGreymane View Post

Yeah, pretty fucking awesome scene. And just like that, the Democrats are out of the gate with a YUGE win.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Waking up to that news put a big ass smile on my face.

I'm 100% ok with getting use to this.
    Agreed. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Imo, healthcare will be the toughest of the three pillars for the Dems to pass. Infrastructure hopefully will be relatively smooth sailing, as all states win. I'm sure the wheeling and dealing will be magnificent, but in the end, I see it passing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They don't hate America, they hate poor people. Many of them truly believe that if you're poor it's a sign you're a bad person.
    Or you've done something wrong you need to fix yourself. So many people do not realize that this is exactly how the GOP feels about poor people (your statement more than mine, both imo, but I'm not trying to capture your statement and assume mine for your point). The GOP believes that if you don't have a job, just go out and get one - anyone can pick up a $150k/yr job, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They don't hate America, they hate poor people. Many of them truly believe that if you're poor it's a sign you're a bad person.
    Or that you come from a "bad family". There's so much fatalism in conservatism.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yeah, pretty fucking awesome scene. And just like that, the Democrats are out of the gate with a YUGE win.
    Not too much of a surprise. They've been talking about this plan since Jan. 6. It's more a matter of people listening to the Dems themselves. Or getting secondhand opinions from a wormbrain on twitter. Or Jeff Stein just making up quotes.

Theoretically they're limited to 2-3 reconciliation actions per year. So it's an interesting question where healthcare fits into this.

Also, expect a dumb online fight over "healthcare expansion". Very Online people demanding M4A represent a small faction IRL. But will cry the most.
    With a slim 51-50 vote, it's more realistic to either see a Medicaid expansion as part of ongoing Covid relief. Which is less sexy for middle class twitters. But simply gets more people covered.
    If we're really lucky we get a Medicare buy in (public option), which could be styled as more budget neutral and win over the marginal Dems.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2021-02-05 at 05:33 PM.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The GOP believes that if you don't have a job, just go out and get one - anyone can pick up a $150k/yr job, right?
    Put on your job helmet and squeeze into the job cannon...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Put on your job helmet and squeeze into the job cannon...
    Pull on these while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.