10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Come live where I do without a car. Then you would see how it's bad.
    Boy am I sure glad that some feller went and invented public transport then.

Again; failing to see an issue if it helps create more walkable cities. That's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Again; failing to see an issue if it helps create more walkable cities. That's a good thing.
    It's about controlling the population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It's about controlling the population.
    Because as we all know, people are somehow more free when they're effectively required to purchase a several thousand dollar Veblen good in order to participate in society.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    okay, so we're now just barely shy of a month in and we've got:

-100k americans without jobs(but that's okay, they were sacrificed to make oil more expensive and even less environmentally friendly to transport, and even more prone to transport failures)

-power grid sold off to china(Still waiting on how selling us up the river to a hostile foreign power is a good thing from you people)

-Vast majority of approved aid going overseas(love to see those missiles labeled gender studies.) when americans are struggling.

-massive storm in texas(any disaster that occurs is always the president's fault, unless it's a democrat's ass in the chair for some reason.)

-insulin prices spiked UP(for three months until biden can claim credit and his little cultists WILL bleat that lie out until they think the masses believe them)
    The keystone XXL should have never happened in the first place. They were forcefully taking land to give for private use by others.

Why the fuck anyone who pretends to be a conservative would support such things... is beyond me.

Public transport is fantastic for cities. It is, however, extremely cost prohibitive once you get away from them. Suburbs can't support as much as cities can but arguably need it more, and urban areas? Forget about it.

The US is far too vast and spread out for cars to be phased out completely. We can, however, transition from fossil fuel to hybrids to electrics quite easily, and should be doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Public transport is fantastic for cities. It is, however, extremely cost prohibitive once you get away from them. Suburbs can't support as much as cities can but arguably need it more, and urban areas? Forget about it.

The US is far too vast and spread out for cars to be phased out completely. We can, however, transition from fossil fuel to hybrids to electrics quite easily, and should be doing so.
    As a trucker, I’m curious how they’re going to accomplish this on our end. They have plenty of surface area to accommodate solar panels and recharging if they’ll do it. On a standard trailer, we usually are 53 feet long, about 98.5 inches wide and roughly 108 inches high. That would have a lot of surface area for solar panels, not to mention our tandem axle that could potentially be used for energy generation as well.

10+ Year Old Account

You assume that consolidating said sprawl isn't also a desirable outcome.

We do not need shitsquillion suburbs and exurbs even with the US' present lack of density. They are a social and environmental blight.

This is an argument against suburbs...not transit

USA doesn’t have to be spread out. In fact there’s proof that the spread causes pollution, lower tax revenue, and bubbles that burst.

Western Hemisphere suburbs are bogus. There’s a reason no society built that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So you "say" but you don't seem to care about these issues when they are in power. Whats that called?
    It’s quite possible to never have voted for the GOP and yet support all of their policies. Hell Trump found 6 million of these lazy racist assholes in 2020.

Theo is still a racist concern troll who doesn’t care about justice however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Failing to see how this is a bad thing.
    Because living in a city and being limited by public transit absolutely SUCKS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Because living in a city and being limited by public transit absolutely SUCKS.
    Man I wonder if this is entirely a function of American cities being built for cars. /s

Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I wonder if this is entirely a function of American cities being built for cars. /s

Lol.
    No, it is a matter of not liking to waste my time transferring from walking to bus to light rail back to bus back to walking. Spending 3 hours on transit and getting soaking wet vs 30 minute drive and being dry.... Yeah, no contest.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it is a matter of not liking to waste my time transferring from walking to bus to light rail back to bus back to walking.

Spending 3 hours on transit and getting soaking wet vs 30 minute drive and being dry.... Yeah, no contest.
    So... yeah, your problem with public transportation is that American cities are built for cars. Rofl.

You assume that consolidating said sprawl isn't also a desirable outcome.
    It isn't for anyone who is averse to living stacked on top of one another--and that's a large portion of the population. Rural areas are also not only desirable for a large portion of the people but also necessary. Even if we reach the level of tech that allows substantial hydroponics advancements and implementation it will take a great deal of space to fulfill the needs of the nation. Cities aren't exactly ideal either as the recent pandemic continues to demonstrate. There, too, there would have to be great leaps made to make them semi-comfortable and safe for the bulk of the people because they absolutely aren't presently.

In any case, "Fuck the suburbs" isn't a solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't for anyone who is averse to living stacked on top of one another--and that's a large portion of the population.
    Ah yeah, the "the only two population densities are either Manhattan or Coeur d'Alene" argument. No - reduction in sprawl does not necessitate people living 'stacked on top of one another'.

I'm not talking solely about residences, either. Part of the problem with suburbs in particular is how it forces commuting for services.

In any case, "Fuck the suburbs" isn't a solution.
    Why? "Move to the suburbs" was the 'solution' to desegregation and immigration, so why can't fuck the suburbs also be a viable policy?
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-20 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickNasty View Post
    As a trucker, I’m curious how they’re going to accomplish this on our end. They have plenty of surface area to accommodate solar panels and recharging if they’ll do it. On a standard trailer, we usually are 53 feet long, about 98.5 inches wide and roughly 108 inches high. That would have a lot of surface area for solar panels, not to mention our tandem axle that could potentially be used for energy generation as well.
    This is something I've seen being worked on and it's probably something the US could already start doing--but won't. Mainly because of the huge initial price tag. Electric buses and trucks are already a thing but the infrastructure for them to be widely used in the US doesn't currently exist. I've seen mock-ups for long-haul trucks that could charge as they go on solar-paneled roads but it still has problems to work through and it's just insanely expensive--though I suspect most of that expense is artificial inflation.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yeah, the "the only two population densities are either Manhattan or Coeur d'Alene" argument.
    lol, Well if you're just going to put words in my mouth there's no point in me even bothering. Plenty of other things I can spend my time on than arguing with someone being dishonest. It's off-topic for the thread in any case.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... yeah, your problem with public transportation is that American cities are built for cars. Rofl.
    No, my problem is public transportation, by its nature, in any city, is limited to where and when it can be used. Then there is the fact that for it to be even marginally effect, people have to be packed together like sardines. For many people, city living isn't living, its a madhouse to be avoided as much as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yeah, the "the only two population densities are either Manhattan or Coeur d'Alene" argument. No - reduction in sprawl does not necessitate people living 'stacked on top of one another'.

I'm not talking solely about residences, either. Part of the problem with suburbs in particular is how it forces commuting for services.

Why? "Move to the suburbs" was the 'solution' to desegregation and immigration, so why can't fuck the suburbs also be a viable policy?
    Because the suburbs make for a much nicer quality of life than living in the heart of a major city for many people. I like having a yard for my grandkid and dogs to play in. I like being able to decide if I want to interact with people or not. Personally, I would rather be dead then live in a high population density location again.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Maybe it would force transit expansion

Wouldn't work here. There isn't enough people and the area to cover is large.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, my problem is public transportation, by its nature, in any city, is limited to where and when it can be used.
    You mean like is already the case because you do not in fact decide where roads get laid or for what traffic density they are designed to handle? Lol.

And if it's an agency issue - good thing God gave you legs, huh.

Then there is the fact that for it to be even marginally effect, people have to be packed together like sardines. For many people, city living isn't living, its a madhouse to be avoided as much as possible.
    I wouldn't trust someone who has only ever eaten well done steak with ketchup to have an informed opinion about cuisine, why would I trust people whose only experience with urban living has been enduring the likes of downtown Seattle for a few days out of the year to have an informed opinion as to what city living necessitates or is like? Rofl.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Public transport doesn't work in my area. It's too big of an area and not enough people. You would be wasting more money/fuel/time than just letting people drive.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.