10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Anything below 100k isn't even middle class in most cities, at least DC, so this is still useless for many people who would get value out of it.
    I live in Seattle, which according to google is 15% less expansive than DC... I am not going to say how much I make, but this is way more than I would expect. 85k in Seattle is more than comfortable for single filer.

Is it still being based on 2019 taxes?
    Yes, if I was employed for the first 2 months of 2019, I wouldn’t have gotten the stimulus... and I would not shed a tear...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Based on latest tax return on file. So if you received a pay raise or capital gain that will disqualify you, don't file until April.
    Yeah, this...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Based on latest tax return on file. So if you received a pay raise or capital gain that will disqualify you, don't file until April.
    If you don't need it, donate it to someone that does.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    But republicans have done it several times
    It hasn't happened since 1975. Trump/Pence/McConnell never did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    If you don't need it, donate it to someone that does.
    Not sure why you reply to him... but, there is a difference between being in dire need and not being in dire need, but not being so rich that you would return a 1400 check.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    But if I haven't filed this year yet - even if I did it now, electronically, wouldn't it be too late.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, they haven't started processing payments and when they do so they'll use your most recent return on file. If you put one on file today electronically guess what return is the most recent they have on file.
    I was taking into consideration the processing time - I don't want to assume the IRS is going to be either quick or efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    both are instances of the nuclear option being used (overruling Parliamentarian objections)
    I was under the impression the nuclear option was about the filibuster, not the parliamentarian. I'm going to need more info about, say, the 2013 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not sure why you reply to him... but, there is a difference between being in dire need and not being in dire need, but not being so rich that you would return a 1400 check.
    I don't care who posted it.

I assume the individual will know where they fall on that scale, that I didn't think I'd need to explicitly lay it out as if people were too stupid to figure that out for themselves.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Some podcasters are hella mad, because their monthly Patreon checks are pushing them over the threshold by April.

Their fans are coming here to let us know how upset they are about it!

I'm so upset, Ima spend it all on Tax The Rich sweatshirts. Then I'll sew them together to make an edgy duvet cover.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anybody said anything about your most recently processed tax return, just the most recent one they have on file.
    Good point - I hadn't considered the difference of those two status'. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    tiktok shit
    Man, I truly feel like I've 100% hit "old man shouting at clouds" age. The more and more I come into contact with tiktok shit, the more and more confused I am about the whole affair.

10+ Year Old Account
    The nuclear option has been used with regards to the filibuster most recently, but it's about ALL senatorial rules(what the parliamentarian rules on). All it takes is a simple majority to change them. In 2013 the Dems changed it so that confirmation of nominees(other than SCOTUS) only required a simple majority as opposed to the 60 votes previously. In 2017 the GOP struck back and said, "Yeah, SCOTUS too!" and then packed the courts.
    Okay. Cool. That's still Senate Rule XX, and therefore a Senate rule. It was the rules, being applied. The parliamentarian did not object to either use of Rule XX, nor did Biden/Pence specifically step in.

No such rule exists for just ignoring shoving a non-budget item into a budget bill. Unless Harris overrules the parliamentarian, which didn't happen, Schumer can't say "well the parliamenterian said we can't do it, but we're going to do it anyhow because we really want to". Which is the current context. It's why this discussion has gone on for nine pages or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    They lowered the top of those receiving stimulus to 80k for single filers. Don’t everyone lose your shit at the same time... lol
    Is it still 80K payroll, or 80K take-home after taxes?

Remember that rule senate rule about confirming a sc justice? Remember when the rule was birthed? Then broken?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Remember that rule senate rule about confirming a sc justice? Remember when the rule was birthed? Then broken?
    The Blue Slip rule? That some dum dum Senator from Vermont brought back, to handicap Obama judicial appointments?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Is it still 80K payroll, or 80K take-home after taxes?
    They said gross. So before taxes. Same like before. If they go by net income, it can go up pretty high. Between mortgage interest rate, health care/insurance, IRA, 401k, child care, HSA/FSA, SALT, etc., a couple making 250k can reduce their net income to below the 150k limit without too much effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    The context is that Harris could overrule or the Senate as a whole could do so.
    I am still waiting on proof that the Senate could do so. The nuclear option reduces the number of votes needed. It does not change other Senate rules.

If the Senate can just overrule the parliamentarian, why have one? And why is this going on for nine pages or whatever, if Schumer could just say "the parliamentarian says we can't put non-budget items into budget bills, but we're going to anyhow because we really want to"? Why the drama? Why hasn't the bill gone forward anyhow? I continue to maintain that the reason Democrats are upset, and haven't pushed the bill with the minimum wage to a vote, is because they can't. And so far, no such move has happened.

Harris, absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I'm so upset, Ima spend it all on Tax The Rich sweatshirts. Then I'll sew them together to make an edgy duvet cover.
    I thought her career nose dived, after she let it slip that she has a boy friend?

The March 14th deadline is self-imposed and not binding. If it takes an extra few days they can still pass it.
    The problem being states like WI if it lapses like the last time it means payouts get delayed for a month or more it is a non trivial issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    There you go.
    Hmm. Interesting. That's far more dangerous than every other time it's been mentioned has implied.

Of course, the Nuclear Option is limited. Meaning, if they used it to overrule the parliamentarian, they could then not use it to, say, pass it with 50+Harris.

Still, useful and interesting information. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm extra glad we don't have a 60/40 Senate and haven't for a while -- you could do a lot of damage by simply ignoring a rule once/boss pull.