10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I mean, okay, I don't agree.
    By Karl Marx's Beard!

Joe Manchin is outflanking Twitter from the Left! By denying upper income earners $1400.

The unemployment and money for parents with kids are a way bigger deal than the stimulus checks.

/launching Popcorn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    There are also 12 million of them and they all vote, so - remind me exactly what the gain here is by being stingy besides giving the GOP a free tagline in 2022 to the tune of "Trump gave you $600, Joe Biden doesn't think you're worth even that"?
    Seeing as Trump also gave them 1200 and was the one to spur 2000 check and the one who caused vaccines to be delivered in record time... who gives a shit what Trump’s brand is selling to Trump supporters?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    By Karl Marx's Beard!

Joe Manchin is outflanking Twitter from the Left! By denying upper income earners $1400.

The unemployment and money for parents with kids are a way bigger deal than the stimulus checks.

/launching Popcorn
    I notice neither of you are actually disputing that this strategy has bad optics and will cost votes without any ostensible benefit.

"Trolling the online left" is no more legitimate political strategy than the Republicans basing their platform on trolling the libs. The difference here is that the Republicans have an electoral field stacked in their favor and have a buffer for stupidity, the Democrats don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck all the people who did their taxes in February 2020 and lost their jobs in April, I guess?
    What? People who did their taxes in February 2020, were doing their 2019 taxes. People who lost their jobs in 2020, need to be urged to do their taxes as soon as possible... so their latest tax filing is for the year they lost their jobs.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Fuck all the people who did their taxes in February 2020 and lost their jobs in April, I guess?
    I'm not worried for them. If they were making $80-100k they have a skillset that should help them land a new job, and they can collect additional unemployment until they do.

Small price to pay to get the checks in people's hand and to, y'know, help kids in poverty and all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Small price to pay to get the checks in people's hand and to, y'know, help kids in poverty and all.
    There is no "price" - more generalised aid wouldn't mean "kids in poverty" don't get help. Means testing does not make it so help goes out more quickly or more effectively, it actually delays aid all to save a few extra dollars on the face of it.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    By Karl Marx's Beard!

/launching Popcorn
    dude, no. this is dumb. people who need that 1400 have to wait, and it's dumb. those people affected, this is bad. i'm not super angry about this as I would be other things, but there is no denying this is dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    I'm not worried for them. If they were making $80-100k they have a skillset that should help them land a new job, and they can collect additional unemployment until they do.

Sorry, but the job market for people yelling "Dems and Republicans are the same" on twitter and other online spaces is over saturated.

We're sending overflow to QAnon and Parler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sure, and if they are paying ANY attention they’ll know it’s not the progressives holding back stimulus payments. Every compromise has been to appease the conservative members of congress(including some dems).
    "If they're paying any attention" - If.

The last four to eight years has demonstrated that they aren't, when are y'all going to wake up to this fact and stop pretending it's 2005? People don't give a shit about process, they give a shit about results.

10+ Year Old Account
    "If they're paying any attention" - If.

The last four to eight years has demonstrated that they aren't, when are y'all going to wake up to this fact and stop pretending it's 2005? People don't give a shit about process, they give a shit about results.
    Does this look like results based reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    So can anyone explain to me why, upon seeing marines, Biden said "salute the marines" instead of actually saluting them? Is it like when you want to /emote something in WoW but /say it instead?
    - - - Updated - - -

Really? I could have sworn we went from full GOP control to full Dem control in those 4 years. Are you sure people haven’t been paying attention?
    It’s like saying Trump is good for progressives, because fox viewers now know who Omar and AOC are...

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? I could have sworn we went from full GOP control to full Dem control in those 4 years. Are you sure people haven’t been paying attention?
    Yep, because you're ignoring the razor-thin margins of victory (plus the fact we lost seats in the House and failed to oust some Senators that should have been easy wins), and what's been happening at the state level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gerrymandering at the state level doesn’t disprove that people are paying attention. It just reinforces that we need a new VRA.
    Cool, exactly how do you plan to get a new VRA with the filibuster in place while poo-pooing the votes you'd need to get a cloture threshold?

10+ Year Old Account
    By pushing hard in 2022 to expand the majority enough to get rid of the racist as fuck filibuster. Obviously.
    Which ties back into my point about how needlessly nickel and diming the public with this stimulus bill is bad optics for 2022 that will cost votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Okay. Cool. That's still Senate Rule XX, and therefore a Senate rule. It was the rules, being applied. The parliamentarian did not object to either use of Rule XX, nor did Biden/Pence specifically step in.

No such rule exists for just ignoring shoving a non-budget item into a budget bill. Unless Harris overrules the parliamentarian, which didn't happen, Schumer can't say "well the parliamenterian said we can't do it, but we're going to do it anyhow because we really want to". Which is the current context. It's why this discussion has gone on for nine pages or whatever.
    Okay since you are being obtuse, who can law enforcement use within their own ranks to overrule a federal judge? It also seems you have learned nothing from decades of McConnell kicking our collective asses. Most of these things are procedure, there's no penalty to ignoring them no one is going to jail.

Republicans are playing in 3D while democrats are stuck in 1D.

Sure, and if they are paying ANY attention they’ll know it’s not the progressives holding back stimulus payments. Every compromise has been to appease the conservative members of congress(including some dems).
    This is giving a selfish populace too much credit.

The takeaway will be "I didn't get any money from the Democrats while the Republicans took care of me."
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-03-03 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Okay since you are being obtuse, who can law enforcement use within their own ranks to overrule a federal judge? It also seems you have learned nothing from decades of McConnell kicking our collective asses. Most of these things are procedure, there's no penalty to ignoring them no one is going to jail.

Republicans are playing in 3D while democrats are stuck in 1D.
    some people just can't accept they are wrong, even when they acknowledge senators have all the power, not the parlimentarian.

This isn't to please Republicans, it's to please particular Democrats.
    I mean, that doesn't really change my answer at all? Democrats have the slimmest possible margin in the Senate. Compromises will have to happen, either to get Republicans on board or to get their more moderate members on board, if anything is to get done at all. Democrats aren't a single monolothic entity like the Republicans are; they're a big tent with lots of voices who don't always agree. As I remarked to my friend the other day, the Republicans are the party of the far right and the Democrats are the party of basically everyone else.

some people just can't accept they are wrong, even when they acknowledge senators have all the power, not the parlimentarian.
    Trump and McConnell to a larger extent have shown that our democracy heavily depends on people acting in goodwill and following decorum. When you have people with no shame or conscience they can do a lot of damage (see supreme court nominations), democrats have to play the republicans game the way it is. This isn't a fight about principle it's about power all the principles in the world is useless without the power to affect change.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Trump and McConnell to a larger extent have shown that our democracy heavily depends on people acting in goodwill and following decorum. When you have people with no shame or conscience they can do a lot of damage (see supreme court nominations), democrats have to play the republicans game the way it is. This isn't a fight about principle it's about power all the principles in the world is useless without the power to affect change.
    yup, I get dem's are a big tent party, it's harder to please them all, but this is still on them. They choose to handicap themselves by playing by some arbitrary rules, that republican's don't follow, and get away with as you said.

I mean, let's look at Manchin. A decade ago, he was all about getting rid of that filibuster. what happened? corruption happened. He's now head of energy committee, and who's in his pockets? fossil fuels. But that's on him. But even though that's on him, I still don't think this $15 is entirely on him, or even mostly on him. There is way more than enough political capital right now for 15$, to put the spins on his and a handful of others ass by the entire rest of the party, and he and they would roll over to that pressure and do it. And while a couple are trying, a couple is not enough. It is Biden, Harris and majority of senate democrats who is rolling over instead, this is on democrat senators as whole, who are choosing to throw that political capital away. Even with 100 pages, this "SCOTUS of the senate" would still not exist, it's just people not acknowledging they are trying to pass the buck.

And ironically, it's the people who are against ending the filibuster, who the filibuster is gonna bite them in the ass the most in the senate, since, HR-1 is about to land on their desks, won't pass cause filibuster, and who's elections will that effect and cause them to lose? Sinema, Manchin... I don't know if Biden will run again, but him too. they may not see it now, but in 2 years, when the house and senate is back in rep control, well, too late then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.

Why doesn't every Senate go nuclear all the time on everything?

Answer that, and we'll come back to "the Senate has all the power". Which neither you, nor @Draco-Onis for that matter, have sufficiently answered why this has gone on for ten pages, if the Senate can just ignore the parliamentarian whenever they want. As opposed to, just to use a random example, once per Congress per topic.