10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    You're arguing against Part A of the typical 2 part conservative initial attack. Part B is centered around them complaining it won't prevent 100% of whatever issue so therefore its useless. They tend to move past this 2 part attack, once the pundits have handed down the talking points they should be using. If they get into an argument and make the mistake of staying in the argument too long, they can fall back on the 2 part initial attack to cover their retreat, then will lay in wait until process starts over again with new issue.
    It's basically weaponizing the old advice; "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". Refusing a good option because there's the possibility of an even better option is just horseshit stalling for stalling's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's basically weaponizing the old advice; "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". Refusing a good option because there's the possibility of an even better option is just horseshit stalling for stalling's sake.
    I protested at a circus once over the treatment of the elephants and other animals.

A guy started yelling at me, "why are you doing that when people have cancer and how you could use your time for that". So i asked him how come he's going to the circus when people have cancer and how you could use your time for that."

His response? "Fuck you!!!".

That's the day i learned about their plan of attack.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Electoral reform is even more important than infrastructure, sorry.
    It won't pass, you're arguing merits, I'm arguing reality: The reality that the Senate might not even vote on the bill in the first place, and if it does that it likely won't even get 50 votes, let alone 60.

They'd have little grounds to do so, for the most part.
    I'm sure the court with 6 conservatives would agree with you.

That doesn't make it "empty spectacle". It means that Republicans are still willing to screw over the public in the name of the unethical retention of power.

Making them demonstrate that malfeasance is valid enough on its own. And means that the Republicans are then responsible for this bill not taking effect.
    Oh but that's precisely why it's an empty spectacle because they know it will never pass, likely won't even be voted on in the first place in the Senate and you're going to use it to attack Republicans. Yeah Republicans have made their position on this issue clear for years.

This might surprise you, but politicians (indeed, most people) can plan out and work on more than a single project at once, particularly when you divide the work up amongst a body of colleagues, as the federal government does.
    This might surprise you but politicians are quite capable of making empty gestures with bills ( and overall decisions ) that on a surface level might seem significant but in the end amount to zero except posturing: That's what this bill in and all you're doing is buying into hook line and sinker.

You seem to think this is a big deal: It's not, it won't amount to much in long run.

As for the actual issue of voting rights: That IS important and as someone living in a country that has voting when people are free from work as an example it's significant to get people engaged in election. What's also important is that the way elections are organized is dictated by local policy: State or county level, and many states do not want Washington to decide how they organize those elections, which means they'd fight quite hard to retain their power, if this was an actual serious effort.

Which it isn't.

Two years from now if Democrats pick up Senate seats and nuke the filibuster? Then it would actually matter.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2021-03-04 at 11:31 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    It won't pass, you're arguing merits, I'm arguing reality: The reality that the Senate might even vote on the bill in the first place.
    Why wouldn't the Senate vote on it?

It passed the House and Dems set the agenda.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...l-628-n1259673

WHERE ARE YOUR CHECKS?!

Ask Ron Johnson, he's forcing clerks to read the whole 600+ page bill aloud because "IT'S SO BIG AND COMPLEX" and apparently this is the only way for people to learn what's in it. I guess like, summaries don't exist?

Just a reminder: Democrats have their problems, but they are not the problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Why wouldn't the Senate vote on it?

It passed the House and Dems set the agenda.
    For the same reason Democrats abandoned any plan to try and raise the minimum wage despite having options to try and do so ( a rule change, or a plan to tax corporations that didn't offer a certain wage level ) they simply do not have the votes for it.

Who knows maybe people like Manchin and Sinema would vote yes on this, maybe, and then you'd see a 50-50 Senate vote, but if they won't you likely wouldn't see Schumer wanting to lose a simple majority vote in the Senate.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2021-03-04 at 11:29 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure the court with 6 conservatives would agree with you.
    See, that's the thing.

I draw conclusions based on analysis of the facts and application of reason.

Your counter was to claim 6 SCOTUS judges would ignore both in favor of ruling based on nothing but blind partisanship.

And you don't see how you've defeated your own position by doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the same reason Democrats abandoned any plan to try and raise the minimum wage
    That's literally not what happened but whatever floats your made up world.

7+ Year Old Account
    See, that's the thing.

I draw conclusions based on analysis of the facts and application of reason.
    I draw conclusions based on the factual reality that exists, not some political ideology wishful thinking. If you can't divorce your view on the merits of a bill, which I have not contested, vs the reality of how things play out, which I have, that's your problem.

My position is simple: The bill is a meaningless piece of showmanship for Democrats because it has no realistic chance of becoming law, and they are fully aware of this.

That's literally not what happened but whatever floats your made up world.
    The Senate Parliamentarian ruled that they couldn't increase the min wage to 15 dollars a month, but they could have overruled her ( Harris to be specific could have done so ) or they could have made a tax change for big corporations to force them to increase their min. wage or face fines, this was called Plan B.

Democrats choose neither option.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2021-03-04 at 11:38 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...l-628-n1259673

WHERE ARE YOUR CHECKS?!

Ask Ron Johnson, he's forcing clerks to read the whole 600+ page bill aloud because "IT'S SO BIG AND COMPLEX" and apparently this is the only way for people to learn what's in it. I guess like, summaries don't exist?

Just a reminder: Democrats have their problems, but they are not the problem.
    And I'm sure Sen Ronny also requested the GOP Tax Break for the Rich to be read out loud as well, right?

GOP fuckwits bringing this nation to it's knees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And I'm sure Sen Ronny also requested the GOP Tax Break for the Rich to be read out loud as well, right?

GOP fuckwits bringing this nation to it's knees.
    They don't care, they can just go to Cancun whenever shit hits the fan for good

I can see half a dozen things in this bill that the Supreme Court would take major issues with.

That however doesn't matter as this bill is an empty pointless spectacle, treating it is anything but is laughable. Dems know it would never pass the Senate even if they nuked the filibuster, which btw they haven't.

How about something real, like I dunno the COVID bailout bill and then Biden's infrastructure bill, as in things that can and will actually pass.
    I hope you are smart enough to realize that if this bill passes through reconciliation, then it would pass without the filibuster. I'd hope, but you did just say it wouldn't. 51 votes is 51 votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Senate Parliamentarian ruled that they couldn't increase the min wage to 15 dollars a month-
    In the Covid Relief bill. Not ~ever~.

Try not to be so misinformed in the future

lol the " fuck your feelings" gop
    is butthurt that biden offended..neanderthals?

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    lol the " fuck your feelings" gop
    He didn't say it on Twitter, so they can't ignore it by pretending they don't know what social media is.

Is Trump President yet, or has the date been pushed back again?
    I heard them saying a few days ago in videos from CPAC I think that it will be the 20th now, when he is supposed to take power, and that Biden is just being puppeted by Trump somehow. https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-theor...e-flag-1573871

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    this Douchebag gonna make them spend 10 hours reading every single word of this 600 page bill.
    Not surprising. Ron Johnson doesn't work for the American people anymore. He is for Trump and Putin.

https://www.ajc.com/news/nation-worl...CS6KUFCWG6QX4/

Apparently holding "solo press conferences" is a measurement now? It's a thing? And damn Biden for not holding solo press conferences which is apparently a first in the past century?

I guess this is what we're complaining about now.

I can see half a dozen things in this bill that the Supreme Court would take major issues with.

That however doesn't matter as this bill is an empty pointless spectacle, treating it is anything but is laughable. Dems know it would never pass the Senate even if they nuked the filibuster, which btw they haven't.

How about something real, like I dunno the COVID bailout bill and then Biden's infrastructure bill, as in things that can and will actually pass.
    Since you have been championing Republicans the last few months, you do know that Ron Johnson, just delayed the bill again for Covid relief by making the fucking clerks read the ENTIRE 700 page bill, which will take about 15 hours to read. The House passed it, and the Senate will pass it as soon as it gets there, but Johnson is delaying it.

And what parts of the bill would the Supreme Court take issue with, and what constitutional law degree do you have to know that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask Ron Johnson, he's forcing clerks to read the whole 600+ page bill aloud because "IT'S SO BIG AND COMPLEX" and apparently this is the only way for people to learn what's in it.
    "I hereby motion to add the text 'My name is Ron Johnson and I'm a fucking idioit' to the bill."

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this is what we're complaining about now.
    "Biden under increasing media spotlight for lack of news conferences"

Yep, that's a headline only a Trump cultist could have written. Or, did I forget the part where he shut down the WHPC and had McEnemy lie nonstop for a year?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    So easy, even a caveman could do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "I hereby motion to add the text 'My name is Ron Johnson and I'm a fucking idioit' to the bill."

- - - Updated - - -

"Biden under increasing media spotlight for lack of news conferences"

Yep, that's a headline only a Trump cultist could have written. Or, did I forget the part where he shut down the WHPC and had McEnemy lie nonstop for a year?
    Yep, and in her first press conference when she took the job, said she would never lie to anyone. Turns out that was her first lie.