10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Trump and Biden have done no executive orders!
    I mean...that seems to be the goal, doesn't it?

As a reminder, Trump ran on undoing Obama's "unConstitutional" Executive Orders, see also "flick of the pen". He should not in any way be surprised or even dismayed the same was done to him. Well, unless he's a raging hypocrite, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

As a reminder, Trump ran on undoing Obama's "unConstitutional" Executive Orders, see also "flick of the pen". He should not in any way be surprised or even dismayed the same was done to him. Well, unless he's a raging hypocrite, of course.
    For people into the wonky stuff. Not all EOs are symmetrical.
    EOs written by professionals that understand constitutional law tend to be more durable than those written by twitter trolls in crayon.

Which again highlights the value of hiring good people, discussed above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    EOs written by professionals that understand constitutional law tend to be more durable than those written by twitter trolls in crayon.
    When all is said and done, I wonder whether more of Obama's "unConstitutional" (eyeroll) E.O.'s will have survived, or Trump's.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

And most of Trump's didn't survive judicial review. Biden might be done rolling up Trump's Residency by next week!

Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden's cabinet nominations continue to be voted through.

Confirmed Cabinet members
    • Avril Haines, confirmed as director of national intelligence on Jan. 21.
    • Retired Gen. Lloyd Austin, confirmed as defense secretary on Jan. 22.
    • Janet Yellen, confirmed as treasury secretary on Jan. 25.
    • Antony Blinken, confirmed as secretary of state on Jan. 26.
    • Pete Buttigieg, confirmed as transportation secretary on Feb. 2.
    • Alejandro Mayorkas, confirmed as secretary of homeland security on Feb. 2.
    • Denis McDonough, confirmed as veterans affairs secretary on Feb. 8.
    • Tom Vilsack, confirmed as agriculture secretary on Feb. 23.
    • Linda Thomas-Greenfield, confirmed as UN ambassador on Feb. 23.
    • Jennifer Granholm, confirmed as energy secretary on Feb. 25.
    • Miguel Cardona, confirmed as education secretary on March 1.
    • Gina Raimondo, confirmed as commerce secretary on March 2.
    • Cecilia Rouse, confirmed to lead Council of Economic Advisers on March 3.
    • Merrick Garland, confirmed as attorney general on March 10.
    • Marcia Fudge, confirmed as secretary for housing and urban development on March 10.
    • Michael Regan, confirmed as administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency on March 10.

Nominees pending confirmation vote
    • Marty Walsh, nominee for labor secretary.
    • Isabel Guzman, nominee for small business administrator.
    • Xavier Becerra, nominee for health and human services secretary.
    • Deb Haaland, nominee for interior secretary.
    • William Burns, nominee for CIA director.
    • Katherine Tai, nominee for U.S. trade representative.
    Near as I can tell, Haaland might be the biggest issue left, because drilling on public land remains a divisive issue.

But man, this is a nice change of pace. As a reminder, Trump stuffed his Cabinet with acting members at a historic rate. Biden, by contrast, appears to be following the traditional legal process.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Senator John Cornyn, Texas.
    Wait, is that a Republican who endured four years of Trump, complaining that someone who isn't Trump might go after political opponents on Twitter or with the force of office? Trump, who fired Comey and promised to prosecute Clinton?

Again, it's increasingly easy to spot hypocrisy. Republicans don't have a monopoly, but they're sure advertising like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    Shit, I forgot we're back to executive orders being bad again.
    Getting excited over the number of EOs withou considering the impact is silly.

https://www.axios.com/biden-funding-...3c3fd94a7.html

President Biden is directing $2.5 billion in funding to address the nation’s worsening mental illness and addiction crisis, an official from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services tells Axios.
    You may have forgotten that there's still an addiction crisis that's ongoing after Kelleyanne left her position "leading" that effort.

Biden thankfully, hasn't forgotten. I'm down for more funding to address mental health and addiction issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    Especially considering Trump objectively signed more of them than Obama in his first three years and Trump supporters cheered it on. He had a Republican House and Senate for two of those!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Biden thankfully, hasn't forgotten.
    I've said it before, I'll keep saying it: Trump's promise to deal with the opioid crisis was the single campaign issue I actually cheered him on for. And because of his brother, I actually assumed he'd do something. Yeah, dumb fucking me.

Addiction is a serious issue and the US's history with prescription drugs hasn't been stellar. I'm glad to see literally anything get done on this topic -- regardless of blue or red ink on the paper.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Especially considering Trump objectively signed more of them than Obama in his first three years and Trump supporters cheered it on. He had a Republican House and Senate for two of those!
    And Biden is MUCH better at writing and directing those because of his experience working for and in the government. Biden will probably be able to roll back most/all of Trump's EO's by June, the exceptions being those that affect rules that require a waiting/comment period.

I've said it before, I'll keep saying it: Trump's promise to deal with the opioid crisis was the single campaign issue I actually cheered him on for. And because of his brother, I actually assumed he'd do something. Yeah, dumb fucking me.
    Trump keep a promise - what in the hell were you thinking...! Agreed though - that was one promise of his I could get behind.

Addiction is a serious issue and the US's history with prescription drugs hasn't been stellar. I'm glad to see literally anything get done on this topic -- regardless of blue or red ink on the paper.
    I have to say one of the very few things I admired about Trump was him quitting drinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Trump keep a promise - what in the hell were you thinking
    I mean, at the time I...nope, I have no excuse. I was a failure.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Uhhh, Trump claims he’s never had alcohol.
    It was my understanding that he stopped. I know he claims to never have had alcohol, but others disagree. And we all know to believe anyone but Trump when it comes to the truth.

Drugs and alcohol...probably was told in no uncertain terms..pick one.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Drugs and alcohol...probably was told in no uncertain terms..pick one.
    Right? While no alcohol, Trump's relationship with Adderall seems...as high as ever.

I'll show myself out.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was my understanding that he stopped. I know he claims to never have had alcohol, but others disagree. And we all know to believe anyone but Trump when it comes to the truth.
    John Barron was the guy did all the drinking! Totally different guy, we swear.

Reading excerpts from Mary Trump's book. Looks like Don basically through his brother and them under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Originally scheduled for Friday Biden signed the stimulus today before he will be delivering a prime time speech to the nation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2B31DN

The story was written before it was signed, but he has done so at this point. Nice way to mark the anniversary with a demonstration of how far we’ve come in a single year.
    That makes it worse. I hadn't even thought about it really but so long for this legislation which while large... is still too small.

For instance. Last year summer it was estimated that we needed about 3 trillion, so we got 1.9 trillion not in summer... but the following year almost a full quarter into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    Trump called it a referendum, because he won with such a large margin. Biden has the same number of EV Trump had, with more than 20 million more votes, than Trump had in 2016.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That makes it worse. I hadn't even thought about it really but so long for this legislation which while large... is still too small.

For instance. Last year summer it was estimated that we needed about 3 trillion, so we got 1.9 trillion not in summer... but the following year almost a full quarter into it.
    You do know that this isn't the first stimulus bill...it's the third. I'm not arguing that it's enough or anything like that, just that we have had more than this bill passed to help the country with COVID relief. This is just the biggest one to date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We also got 900 billion worth in December... 1400+600=2000... remember?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

You do know that this isn't the first stimulus bill...it's the third. I'm not arguing that it's enough or anything like that, just that we have had more than this bill passed to help the country with COVID relief. This is just the biggest one to date.
    I'm counting those in. It still doesn't come close to what was said we needed all the way back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    We also got 900 billion worth in December... 1400+600=2000... remember?
    This is quite far from the what 3.2-3.3 trillion which was needed last year summer.