Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's been a part of the common discussion for decades and has nothing to do with focus groups. See the "Assault weapons ban" in the 90's.
    ...whose failure and repeated unsuccessful renewal was in testament to its own standards and poor attempts at categorization. I freely condemn its current use and its past use the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Actually, no... the boiling down conversation about gun control, to an argument about semantics, is what NRA earns those big bucks it embezzled. We literally had an assault rifle ban for a decade and these semantics didn’t seem to hinder it.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s funny when conservatives mention focus groups, as Frank Luntz is a Fox News regular.
    If they attempt the same method of defining what is an assault weapon the same way as then, I’ll be convinced they want its failure and desire the conflation and application of political mottos. They might as well declare a ban on all guns that can be considered big, black, and scary and be done with it.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

https://www.businessinsider.com/zoom...andemic-2021-3

Paying income tax on $660M in profits? No.
    Paying executives massive sums in stock options? Yes.

Is this horse shit? Yes.

Tax the fuckin rich. Tax corporations. Tax stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It would at least be clarifying to the discourse to cease using the meaningless label. I guess it just focus groups well.
    No it wouldn't.

The conservatives would just shift the argument something else equally stupid and meaningless, in another obvious attempt to circumvent the problem. They do with literally everything from "assault weapon" to racism to BLM to defund the police, etc.

It is a willful misunderstanding by them to obfuscate the point.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You guys just had your second major mass shooting in the space of just one week.
    Is that all?

https://www.businessinsider.com/zoom...andemic-2021-3

Is this horse shit? Yes.

Tax the fuckin rich. Tax corporations. Tax stocks.
    It's because the company had some losses.

Too bad when people have debt and losses they can't turn around make shit tons of money and then just pay no taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Surely you would agree that even one mass shooting is one too many? No?
    I was born and raised in worse.
    You...don't live in this country, do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Which country is that? Not many can claim worse, than 2 mass shootings in a week. Especially with such a "meh" attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    No it wouldn't.

The conservatives would just shift the argument something else equally stupid and meaningless, in another obvious attempt to circumvent the problem. They do with literally everything from "assault weapon" to racism to BLM to defund the police, etc.

It is a willful misunderstanding by them to obfuscate the point.
    It would be wise for the democrats to figure out a concise message and get as many of their own on board before going wide with it. What is a defined achievable end goal, and a total gun ban... honestly tell the people that want that to stfu, it ain’t happening, and that mindset will cost precious seats in 2022. Build upon incremental victories.

The best thing they can do NOW is go after existing gun law violations with draconian zeal. If that works, well, that’s great! If it doesn’t work, their failings can be built upon.

There’s already a gun control thread. It’s path-of-action that should be the concern in a Biden thread.

I have had worse so everyone else should suck it up is not a very good argument. I grew up in a war zone and that's not my bar for how I want life to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Which country is that? Not many can claim worse, than 2 mass shootings in a week. Especially with such a "meh" attitude.
    Oh fuck please...this the US...go home already... You apparently have zero grasp at how bad things are in some areas. Heck Philly is already over 100 murder mark... My old neighborhood used to be worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I have had worse so everyone else should suck it up is not a very good argument. I grew up in a war zone and that's not my bar for how I want life to be.
    It's not an argument. It more like "where the fuck were you all at when this shit going down every year?"

Oh fuck please...this the US...go home already... You apparently have zero grasp at how bad things are in some areas. Heck Philly is already over 100 murder mark... My old neighborhood used to be worse.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not an argument. It more like "where the fuck were you all at when this shit going down every year?"
    That's also not an rebuttal to doing something about it. My first home in the US drug dealers were our doormen. Some neighborhoods even in blue states are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That's also not an rebuttal to doing something about it. My first home in the US drug dealers were our doormen. Some neighborhoods even in blue states are shit.
    Are you two going to do a 20 page argument about nothing?

There are way more deaths than a weekly random shooting in the US. Gang violence doesn’t even really make the news outside of local. It’s a part of US society. Anyone that lives here knows that. It sucks but nobody really has an answer the country has a stomach for, so we are where we are. You can avoid 99%+ of this by avoiding certain areas. To those that live in said areas: I hope you get out. To those that don’t, I hope you never experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Are you two going to do a 20 page argument about nothing?
    There are way more deaths than a weekly random shooting in the US. Gang violence doesn’t even really make the news outside of local. It’s a part of US society. Anyone that lives here knows that. It sucks but nobody really has an answer the country has a stomach for, so we are where we are. You can avoid 99%+ of this by avoiding certain areas. To those that live in said areas: I hope you get out. To those that don’t, I hope you never experience it.
    Yep.
    Most of the murders committed in Philadelphia are in North or West Philly, and fueled for the most ridiculous reasons related directly to social media. Currently on track to top last year.

Yep.
    Most of the murders committed in Philadelphia are in North or West Philly, and fueled for the most ridiculous reasons related directly to social media. Currently on track to top last year.
    But good gun control measures would trickle down and help those areas as well. They aren't shooting each other with pebbles. That said kind of doesn't matter too many democrats in the senate side with Republicans on the issue.

As far as I am concerned nothing will change on the issue at least not while we are alive.

Because it makes the news, It's a political chip on the table... Not a big chip mind for the reason that people clearly express at such places get nailed; the shock the surprise because "that sort of thing doesn't happen here." That's why it makes the news. In the mid 80s in Camden NJ? *yawn*

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it makes the news, It's a political chip on the table... Not a big chip mind for the reason that people clearly express at such places get nailed; the shock the surprise because "that sort of thing doesn't happen here." That's why it makes the news. In the mid 80s in Camden NJ? *yawn*
    It's not acceptable in Boulder and it's not acceptable in Camden.

People who are resigned to terrible things "just being the way they are" are part of why those things never change.

Case in point, people accepting gun violence as being "part and parcel" of living in the United States is utterly unacceptable. From citizens and politicians. Other countries have it under control. The reason the US does not is willful inaction on the part of both citizenry and politicians.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's not acceptable in Boulder and it's not acceptable in Camden. .
    You never lived there... But feel free to relocate.
    I remember an old guy yelling at the drug dealers...and and people coming out and yelling at him...and laying a beat down on him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's not acceptable in Boulder and it's not acceptable in Camden.
    I think the reaction to his post is very uncharitable... he is desensitized to these shootings, because gun violence is so prevalent...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    You never lived there... But feel free to relocate.
    I remember an old guy yelling at the drug dealers...and and people coming out and yelling at him...and laying a beat down on him.
    It shouldn't happen anywhere in a first world country. Like I said: unacceptable.

"Gun violence" does not give a place any more "character" or "distinction" than polio did the 1950s.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Zoom, I've taught nine classes on it so far, but they can afford to pay taxes like I can.