7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Who's a "Tax Nazi"? Like, is this a country with extra taxes on Jews and gypsies or something? Seeking to bring about the uber-tax-collector for the glory of the carried-interest race?
    Brazil is an example of a tax Nazi with a corporate tax rate that's at an abusive 34%. If Brazil and everyone else set their rates at the average rate of 23-25% then corporations wouldn't need to go tax shopping.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-05 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Brazil is an example of a tax Nazi with a corporate tax rate that's at an abusive 34%. If Brazil and everyone else set their rates at the average rate of 23-25% then corporations wouldn't need to go tax shopping.
    wait you think corporations wouldn't try to maximize profits at the cost of society? you know the thing they are made to do.

So you're calling a country Nazi, because they have a 34% corporate tax rate? You seriously need to reign in the rhetoric, any good point you may be trying to make is going to get lost in this kind of nonsense posting.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Brazil is an example of a tax Nazi with a corporate tax rate that's at an abusive 34%.
    Why is this "abusive"?

If Brazil and everyone else set their rates at the average rate of 23-25% then corporations wouldn't need to go tax shopping.
    Or..."tax shopping" shouldn't be a thing, that too!

Why is this "abusive"?

Because he thinks that if corporations are forced to pay taxes, it is "theft". Meanwhile, when our economy was it's best, it was when the top tax bracket was 91%, not 21%. Post WW2 til Reagan, we had control on deficits and debt, because corporations actually paid taxes. Sure, no one ever paid that 91% tax on anything, and the loopholes got it down to about 32-35%, but at least it is better than fucking ZERO like it is now for millionaires and billionaires and their shitty tax dodging companies.

Why is this "abusive"?

It is rather easy to deal with "tax shopping" want to move? Okay pay a penalty... pay back any subsidies that aided your company.. pay back the tax dollars spent to tend those roads, and pay the societal cost that laying off people incurs, then you may go.

Anyone want some 'bleep Manchin' news? Well hast to be with him possibly again holding up Infrastructure.

West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin said he does not support Biden's infrastructure bill as written. He does not support a 28% corporate tax rate and says that 25% is more appropriate, reports @elwasson.

Manchin was appearing on the WVMetroNews' program, "Talkline."
    https://twitter.com/nancook/status/1...616400397?s=19

Here's the problem.

In 2012, Manchin supported Obama's plan to drop the corporate tax rate from 35% to 28%.

In 2021, Manchin now says Biden's plan to raise it to 28% is too high.

https://t.co/8x4C1EuZbG
    https://twitter.com/gelles/status/13...807878144?s=19

So now 28% is too much. Sure he can change his mind, but this dude really pushing his power grab.

Also really affirms his pro-corporate leaning. I would guess this would help more West Virginians than corporations in WV.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Because he thinks that if corporations are forced to pay taxes, it is "theft". Meanwhile, when our economy was it's best, it was when the top tax bracket was 91%, not 21%. Post WW2 til Reagan, we had control on deficits and debt, because corporations actually paid taxes. Sure, no one ever paid that 91% tax on anything, and the loopholes got it down to about 32-35%, but at least it is better than fucking ZERO like it is now for millionaires and billionaires and their shitty tax dodging companies.
    Correlation does not imply causation. This is why it only makes sense to argue in terms of explanations/interpretations of economic data.

Correlation does not imply causation. This is why it only makes sense to argue in terms of explanations/interpretations of economic data.
    Jesus christ, don't even bother replying to me with this bullshit nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Jesus christ, don't even bother replying to me with this bullshit nonsense.
    Okay well if you only care about correlations and economic data then there's literally nothing to talk about. Anybody can search for and find specific data points that agree with their interpretations of economics and what causes success. It's pointless though because it doesn't tell you anything about how economies work and why they prosper.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-06 at 01:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So because the Party of Trump, and what few actual Republicans still exist, claim they want infrastructure but are against ways to pay for it -- wait, isn't that welfare? -- it seems the upcoming infrastructure bill is doomed because of the filibuster.

Well, I guess that's the end of--

The Senate parliamentarian ruled Monday that Democrats can use special budgetary rules to avoid a GOP filibuster on two more pieces of legislation, setting the stage for President Biden's infrastructure agenda to pass in two packages with simple-majority votes.

Wait, what?

Schumer could pass a budget resolution for fiscal 2022 to do a third reconciliation package for the second half of the Biden infrastructure agenda. Or the fiscal 2021 budget could be revised a third time to set up a third reconciliation package.

Top Schumer aides had argued to parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough last month that Section 304 of the Congressional Budget Act of 1974 allows them to revise the budget resolution for fiscal 2021 to create additional reconciliation instructions, setting up pathways to pass two more bills this year with only a simple majority in the 50-50 Senate.

"The Parliamentarian has advised that a revised budget resolution may contain budget reconciliation instructions. This confirms the Leader’s interpretation of the Budget Act and allows Democrats additional tools to improve the lives of Americans if Republican obstruction continues," a spokesperson for Schumer said in a statement Monday. "While no decisions have been made on a legislative path forward using Section 304 and some parameters still need to be worked out, the Parliamentarian’s opinion is an important step forward that this key pathway is available to Democrats if needed."

Democrats used the budget reconciliation process earlier this year to pass Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill without any GOP votes, instead of the 60 votes needed to advance legislation in the upper chamber.

The new ruling will enable Schumer and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to break up Biden’s infrastructure proposal into two legislative packages.

The first portion, a $2.25 trillion measure unveiled by the White House last month, includes more traditional infrastructure priorities. The second part, planned for later in the year, will include more people-focused spending priorities favored by progressives, such as expanded child care, free community college, universal prekindergarten and more affordable housing.

Both the Senate and House will need to pass another concurrent resolution to trigger an additional set of reconciliation instructions.
    Huh.

Okay well if you only care about correlations and economic data then there's literally nothing to talk about. Anybody can search for and find specific data points that agree with their interpretations of economics and what causes success. It's pointless though because it doesn't tell you anything about how economies work and why they prosper.
    No, I just don't bother with your bullshit semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So because the Party of Trump, and what few actual Republicans still exist, claim they want infrastructure but are against ways to pay for it -- wait, isn't that welfare? -- it seems the upcoming infrastructure bill is doomed because of the filibuster.

Well, I guess that's the end of--

The Senate parliamentarian ruled Monday that Democrats can use special budgetary rules to avoid a GOP filibuster on two more pieces of legislation, setting the stage for President Biden's infrastructure agenda to pass in two packages with simple-majority votes.

Wait, what?

Huh.
    Unless they get HR1 passed, all of that stuff will be pointless because the GOP will be working to make sure that no number of votes could remove them.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, I just don't bother with your bullshit semantics.
    Listen the average corporate tax rate is around 24%. The average income tax rate on the highest earners in developed countries is around 45% if you include payroll taxes and SS contributions. If 90% taxes were optimal then nations would just double their taxes to get their magical increase in economic prosperity. They don't because all that would do is hurt the economy and tax revenue over time. Not to mention it's unethical to take most of a person's earnings against their will.

Listen the average corporate tax rate is around 24%. The average income tax rate on the highest earners in developed countries is around 45% if you include payroll taxes and SS contributions. If 90% taxes were optimal then nations would just double their taxes to get their magical increase in economic prosperity. They don't because all that would do is hurt the economy and tax revenue over time. Not to mention it's unethical to take most of a person's earnings against their will.
    I don't care about other countries. I care about the US, where most of the top 100 companies, or whatever, DON'T pay taxes.

I didn't say 90% was optimal, but that was the top tax rate, during our biggest stretch of a booming economy. But the EFFECTIVE tax rates were about 32-35%, there wasn't anyone that could get out of paying literally no taxes, until that fucking moron Reagan came along and pushed this Reaganomics bullshit. Now our debts and deficits have exploded because we lost a lot of revenue from taxes because the 1%ers aren't paying their shares.

This is why I told you not to even bother talking to me, because I know how ignorant you are on just about EVERYTHING you post, because you skim the post and miss everything relevant.

You just literally argued against using actual fucking facts because it is doesn't correlate with your sweaty bullshit.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2021-04-06 at 05:09 AM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    You just literally argued against using actual fucking facts because it is doesn't correlate with your sweaty bullshit.
    I think you forgot that he believes history doesn’t mean anything for the future

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about other countries. I care about the US, where most of the top 100 companies, or whatever, DON'T pay taxes.

I didn't say 90% was optimal, but that was the top tax rate, during our biggest stretch of a booming economy. But the EFFECTIVE tax rates were about 32-35%, there wasn't anyone that could get out of paying literally no taxes, until that fucking moron Reagan came along and pushed this Reaganomics bullshit. Now our debts and deficits have exploded because we lost a lot of revenue from taxes because the 1%ers aren't paying their shares.

This is why I told you not to even bother talking to me, because I know how ignorant you are on just about EVERYTHING you post, because you skim the post and miss everything relevant.
    I don't mind all the write-offs such as for research and development. It's good for innovation if they spend money on certain things and get to keep their earnings. Obviously you disagree and that's fine but shouldn't you be blaming Democrats since they have political power right now? Are they planning on closing most of the tax writes-offs you don't like? If so then you don't have to worry about it anymore, if not then you need to be communicating with them because you can't expect other groups like right wingers, corporations, or libertarians to support your economic ideology.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-06 at 05:30 AM.

That might make sense if the big companies were barely scraping by. They generate billions in profit, however. They can easily afford to fund their research and actually pay some taxes.

I don't mind all the write-offs such as for research and development. It's good for innovation if they spend money on certain things and get to keep their earnings. Obviously you disagree and that's fine but shouldn't you be blaming Democrats since they have political power right now? Are they planning on closing most of the tax writes-offs you don't like? If so then you don't have to worry about it anymore, if not then you need to be communicating with them because you can't expect other groups like right wingers, corporations, or libertarians to support your economic ideology.
    No, I am not going to blame Democrats, because Republicans are adamant of not hurting companies because those companies have them in their pockets. Now, don't get me wrong, corporations also have Democrats in their pockets as well, but there are some that probably wouldn't be hurt that much, if they paid more than zero in taxes.

And I am not going to blame Democrats yet, because they haven't started even tackling that yet. Will they? Maybe. But I am not going to say that they shouldn't be paying nothing, like you apparently are.