10+ Year Old Account
    Biden is declaring the Armenian genocide, a genocide...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-te...espread-fraud/

THEY FOUND MORE VOTER FRAUD! Nevada just wrapped up their exhaustive investigation into claims of fraud and...

That's the total number of confirmed fraudulent votes they identified after investigating claims. 10 were dead people, 10 were double voters.

As a reminder, there were roughly 1,373,400 ballots cast in Nevada in the 2020 election. I think, and my math is probably wrong, that puts the rate of voter fraud at roughly .0000014% ?

Also known as, "Not statisitically significant, and not enough to make up the 33,600 votes Biden won the state over Trump by."

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

THEY FOUND MORE VOTER FRAUD! Nevada just wrapped up their exhaustive investigation into claims of fraud and...

That's the total number of confirmed fraudulent votes they identified after investigating claims. 10 were dead people, 10 were double voters.

As a reminder, there were roughly 1,373,400 ballots cast in Nevada in the 2020 election. I think, and my math is probably wrong, that puts the rate of voter fraud at roughly .0000014% ?

Also known as, "Not statisitically significant, and not enough to make up the 33,600 votes Biden won the state over Trump by."
    How many of those double voters, are going to be Trump voters? Because in 2016, almost all of the fraudulent votes they found, were Trump voters. Because they actually believed Trump saying they could vote twice.

For the record, it's actually .00145% (decimal went the wrong way).

Yes, that is a very low number, and shows that the real election fraud isn't at the ballot, but the entirety of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Mr. Biden is expected to describe as genocide the deportation, starvation and massacres of Armenians at the hands of the Ottoman Turks beginning in 1915, the officials said.

The language would come as part of an annual statement coinciding with a day of remembrance on Saturday. Officials added no final decisions or briefings have taken place and that Mr. Biden could opt to issue the symbolic statement without describing the killings as genocide, as have other presidents.
    So he may or he may not but nothing concrete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nevada just wrapped up their exhaustive investigation into claims of fraud
    Do we have a party breakdown? Because based purely on past history, and how hotly Nevada was contested, I'm guessing 7/13 or more.

EDIT: Oh, and "dead people voting" I'm going to guess some of those were jsut flat-out accidents.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    By acknowledging history we aren’t condemning any but those who refuse to acknowledge what has passed. I hope he does the right thing.
    I think that if you acknowledge history you are not even condemning those that deny it.. they condemn themselves in their response

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Do we have a party breakdown? Because based purely on past history, and how hotly Nevada was contested, I'm guessing 7/13 or more.
    No, it sounds like the results were sealed so only those involved in the investigation are privy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    No, it sounds like the results were sealed so only those involved in the investigation are privy.
    Aww, dang it! Now all we have are lawsuits filed by Team Trump with accusation of thousands of cases of voter fraud, bringing nothing but tweets as evidence, and losing every single case, eating up the search engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    President Biden is preparing to nominate Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus to be commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, selecting a critic of the Trump administration’s immigration policies to run the country’s largest federal law enforcement agency as it contends with the biggest increase in migrants arriving at the southwest border in two decades.

The Border Patrol’s union officials called him “an ultraliberal social engineer who was given a badge and a gun by the City of Tucson,” in a 2018 Facebook post.

I don’t know much about the guy outside of this article. But he certainly has the right enemies. With the Border Patrol this furious and hating this guy with such fervor, it’s certainly a good sign for those of us who aren’t fascists.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I'm sure Tulsi is horrified at this news.

So this happened

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme...ns-11619102862

WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court on Thursday clipped the Federal Trade Commission’s longtime practice of seeking to recover ill-gotten gains in court from companies and individuals who cheat consumers, saying Congress hadn’t actually given the agency that power.

The court, in an opinion by Justice Stephen Breyer, ruled unanimously that a 1973 law, which gives the FTC the right to seek court injunctions against fraudulent or deceptive commercial activity, doesn’t explicitly give the commission the right to seek financial judgments as well.

The decision hands a considerable blow to the FTC, which has used the law for decades to recoup billions of dollars from defendants allegedly engaged in scams and unfair business practices.

The commission has other tools at its disposal and had been making contingency plans for a loss at the Supreme Court, but FTC officials have said losing their long-believed authority would hamper their efforts to protect consumers. Thursday’s ruling could put pressure on Congress to consider new measures to boost the agency’s powers.

An FTC spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The case stemmed from a multibillion-dollar payday-loan scheme operated by businessman and race-car driver Scott Tucker.

Mr. Tucker was convicted in 2017 for charging illegally high interest rates and lying to consumers about the costs of their loans, and later sentenced to more than 16 years in prison.

In civil proceedings, the FTC secured a judgment ordering Mr. Tucker and several corporate defendants to pay $1.3 billion, the largest litigated award it had ever obtained. Mr. Tucker challenged the FTC’s powers to pursue the monetary judgment on behalf of consumers, arguing the commission didn’t have unbridled authority to extract monetary payments in court.

7+ Year Old Account
    Fuck victims of fraud I guess, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Welp, sounds like they need to grant that explicit power by Congress. The ruling was unanimous meaning there's no blaming conservative justices.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The Senate serves its purpose as intended.
    Yes yes, you have repeatedly stated in the past that you think acres of land deserve more representation than actual people do.

Here's my thought on the "Senate serving its purpose". The Senate was originally designed with the US in mind being a loosely unified country with extremely diverse states. That used to be the case. A conservative in one state could hold wildly different views from a conservative in another state. Now, the US is more unified than ever. It is a unified country where individual statehood means less nd less all the time. Republicans are one giant party, as are Democrats.

In a highly unified country, all the senate really does is grant power to the minority. And literally, on top of already having an advantage with the Senate, Republicans are STILL dangerously close to losing it, even with all their voter disenfranchisement and straight up purging colored voters from the rolls.

Again, Republicans only like the Senate because it's the last bastion where you can rule by tyranny of the minority. The day the Senate becomes irreversibly Democrat controlled is the day you and every other Republican party of Trumper will want to get rid of it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

EDIT: Oh, and "dead people voting" I'm going to guess some of those were jsut flat-out accidents.
    History has shown that the VAST majority of fraudulent voting have been nonmalicious. People showing up at the wrong polling station, unknowingly voting in the wrong election, etc... History has also shown that the few cases of actual fraudulent voting with malice have almost always been Republican voters.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    History has shown that the VAST majority of fraudulent voting have been nonmalicious. People showing up at the wrong polling station, unknowingly voting in the wrong election, etc... History has also shown that the few cases of actual fraudulent voting with malice have almost always been Republican voters.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...cution-215164/

Perfect example: Chris Kobach going hard after a 66 year old guy who voted in Kansas and Colorado, because he thought he could as he owned homes in both states, and only voted in local elections in both states but federal elections in only one.

Not because it he was trying commit voter fraud, but because he honestly didn't know that was illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.businessinsider.com/sena...n-biden-2021-4

It appears the Republican "infrastructure proposal" is out. Not a bill, just a proposal, because I guess four years of "INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK" wasn't long enough.

It's a paltry $568B seemingly over 5 years (lol $100B a year ain't shit). And they won't raise corporate taxes to pay for it, so how will they fund it?

It outlined sources of revenue such as "user-fees," charges meant to shift the burden of upgrading parts of the country away from large firms and onto average people using the services.
    Sounds a lot like taxing the voters, including extensive targeting of lower/middle class workers who are more likely to be on the roadways more, especially as WFH for middle/upper class workers will continue. Why didn't Biden propose similar funding?

The White House said this week it's opposed to user-fees, viewing them as a violation of Biden's campaign promise to not raise
    taxes for people earning below $400,000.
    This is some pathetic bullshit and a great example of how Republicans aren't making any remotely bipartisan efforts to work with Democrats, even as Biden pre-emptively compromises internally with moderate Democrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    History has shown that the VAST majority of fraudulent voting have been nonmalicious
    And just to make it clear, to add to that: history has shown that there is no "vast" fraudulent voting. Before writing that post, I looked for Nevada arrests. I found one in 2012, one in 2004, and 15,187 unfounded conspiracies put forth by Team Trump that turned out to have no basis in fact.

- - - Updated - - -

"user-fees"
    Hey, who was that poster who said Trump's Infractructure Week would be selling off roads and bridges, privatizing them, and turning them all into toll roads?

Oh right, it was literally all of us.

Let's take this a few steps further.
    1) We've all seen, over and over, red states tend to take more in federal funds than they send in taxes. They're getting a permanent discount on federal services.
    2) The GOP proposal is not federal funds. It is private funds.
    3) Because generally speaking red states are poorer, their infrastructure is probably in worse shape. Also they tend to owe more.
    4) The long-held Republican "why should my tax dollars pay for your XXX?" is about to come crashing down in their laps. Not only will they suddenly have to pay for their own stuff, they'll have to pay at a contextually increased rate of the rest of the country.

Is the GOP proposal better than doing nothing and letting bridges collapse? Well, yes. But it seems almost intentionally designed to screw their own poor voters. Perhaps that's why it's just a proposal. If they actually voted on this, and some asshole like me were to point this out, they'd have to defend their actions.

You might think, as a NYState resident, I'd be thrilled with the GOP proposal. Nope. Not only are we a society that's supposed to help each other out, I do like to travel from time to time. 2020 was a bad example, but "fuck everything, I'm driving to Colorado" is something I'd like to say/do in the forseeable future.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court on Thursday clipped the Federal Trade Commission’s longtime practice of seeking to recover ill-gotten gains in court from companies and individuals who cheat consumers, saying Congress hadn’t actually given the agency that power.

The court, in an opinion by Justice Stephen Breyer, ruled unanimously that a 1973 law, which gives the FTC the right to seek court injunctions against fraudulent or deceptive commercial activity, doesn’t explicitly give the commission the right to seek financial judgments as well.

The decision hands a considerable blow to the FTC, which has used the law for decades to recoup billions of dollars from defendants allegedly engaged in scams and unfair business practices.

The commission has other tools at its disposal and had been making contingency plans for a loss at the Supreme Court, but FTC officials have said losing their long-believed authority would hamper their efforts to protect consumers. Thursday’s ruling could put pressure on Congress to consider new measures to boost the agency’s powers.

An FTC spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The case stemmed from a multibillion-dollar payday-loan scheme operated by businessman and race-car driver Scott Tucker.

Mr. Tucker was convicted in 2017 for charging illegally high interest rates and lying to consumers about the costs of their loans, and later sentenced to more than 16 years in prison.

In civil proceedings, the FTC secured a judgment ordering Mr. Tucker and several corporate defendants to pay $1.3 billion, the largest litigated award it had ever obtained. Mr. Tucker challenged the FTC’s powers to pursue the monetary judgment on behalf of consumers, arguing the commission didn’t have unbridled authority to extract monetary payments in court.
    A unanimous ruling from SCOTUS usually means it's a good position. I think the FTC should have that authority they just lost, and I bet SCOTUS thought so as well, it's just the FTC doesn't have the authority laid out in the code that was passed by Congress.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sena...n-biden-2021-4
    It appears the Republican "infrastructure proposal" is out. Not a bill, just a proposal, because I guess four years of "INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK" wasn't long enough.
    It's a paltry $568B seemingly over 5 years (lol $100B a year ain't shit). And they won't raise corporate taxes to pay for it, so how will they fund it?
    Sounds a lot like taxing the voters, including extensive targeting of lower/middle class workers who are more likely to be on the roadways more, especially as WFH for middle/upper class workers will continue. Why didn't Biden propose similar funding?
    Sounds very much in line with libertarian thought.