Everyone knew these two years would be like this with a 50/50 senate and Manchin. It's no surprise at all. Expect more of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Everyone knew these two years would be like this with a 50/50 senate and Manchin. It's no surprise at all. Expect more of it.
    More so than ever, the Democrats need to make sure to win a larger margin in both chambers in 2022. If that doesn't happen, the GoP might be able to lock things up for another 20 years or more before their sinking ship finally submerges.

The good thing is that the lineup for 2022 favors the Democrats. The bad thing is that the GoP is doing everything they can to fuck with future elections in general. I'd say "it'll be interesting to see which side wins", but I don't think I can muster that much neutrality. Frankly, I'm aghast at not just the tactics these racist fuckwits are employing, but also their brazen willingness to do so openly in the full light of day.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    "Mr. Manchin said instead that he would support passage of another bill, the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, which would restore federal oversight over state-level voting law changes to protect minority groups that might be targeted. "

Ok, he still need a square kick in the balls but the JLVRAA is still a big improvement over what's there now.
    If my understanding is correct the John Lewis act would protect against future shenanigans, it would do nothing to stop the gerrymandering and the Jim Crow laws now on the books so it would be worthless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    More so than ever, the Democrats need to make sure to win a larger margin in both chambers in 2022. If that doesn't happen, the GoP might be able to lock things up for another 20 years or more before their sinking ship finally submerges.

The good thing is that the lineup for 2022 favors the Democrats. The bad thing is that the GoP is doing everything they can to fuck with future elections in general. I'd say "it'll be interesting to see which side wins", but I don't think I can muster that much neutrality. Frankly, I'm aghast at not just the tactics these racist fuckwits are employing, but also their brazen willingness to do so openly in the full light of day.
    Democrats are going to get killed there's no ifs and buts about it, republicans have given themselves the power to throw votes out without cause. They have made it as hard as possible for the democratic base to vote and given themselves the power to change the results at will. The right wing supreme court will back them up and make sure they win. Democrats need to grow a spine and push Manchin last time they had an insurrection the next time the fascist get power they aren't going to give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1...764677121?s=19

Joe Manchin is a Piece of Crap.

One Democrat, possibly two with Sinema will not only crush Democrats for years to come, but more seriously hurt or kill our democracy.

More to the first point if a Democrat, this is figuratively handing the bullet to the Republicans
    A cowardly piece of shit, he fears the bigots and racists will vote him out.
    Joe Leiberman killed the public option and it's been downhill since. The little ground regained lost by these two DINO's. This country would be so better off without the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1...764677121?s=19

Joe Manchin is a Piece of Crap.

One Democrat, possibly two with Sinema will not only crush Democrats for years to come, but more seriously hurt or kill our democracy.

More to the first point if a Democrat, this is figuratively handing the bullet to the Republicans
    A cowardly piece of shit, he fears the bigots and racists will vote him out.
    “I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening blinds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For The People Act," Manchin wrote.

"The truth, I would argue, is that voting and election reform that is done in a partisan manner will all but ensure partisan divisions continue to deepen."
    He complains that the Democrats bill is too partisan, but keeps on ignoring all the partisan election and voting reforms the Republicans are doing in many different states. I firmly believe Manchin is paid off by Republicans and I'll continue to believe that until proven otherwise.

https://www.axios.com/manchin-democr...31c8ec382.html

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    He complains that the Democrats bill is too partisan, but keeps on ignoring all the partisan election and voting reforms the Republicans are doing in many different states. I firmly believe Manchin is paid off by Republicans and I'll continue to believe that until proven otherwise.

https://www.axios.com/manchin-democr...31c8ec382.html
    Only for a few more years, because this shit is gonna cost him his seat, to a republican...

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Only for a few more years, because this shit is gonna cost him his seat, to a republican...
    Well if he does lose his seat, maybe he can ask his pharmaceutical CEO daughter to jack up the price of the EpiPen some more and have her share the profits with him. He could also switch to a Republican since he's acting like them already.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Well if he does lose his seat, maybe he can ask his pharmaceutical CEO daughter to jack up the price of the EpiPen some more and have her share the profits with him. He could also switch to a Republican since he's acting like them already.
    Oh he'll switch his political party, just like the Lieberman guy I mentioned above, won't do him any good for a senate seat, since he's screwed with the pro-trumpers since he voted to convict, twice. Won't stop him from being a lobbyist, my guess for oil and gas industries that has been the brunt of all his campaign contributions since joining the senate. btw this is the real reason underlining everything he's doing. He's the head of the energy committee, he needs the filibuster or his contributers and future job prospects are in jeopardy.

It's not interesting to me at all. It's brutal horrible reality.

And if I were betting with a large amount of cash on who would win in 2022, I would go full in on republicans taking the Senate and the House.

I am quite pessimistic about the future of the US. I deal with this by limiting the amount of time and energy I put towards politics / current events. Too depressing.

The Dems are lucky to have him despite his shitiness. He seems to be the only Dem who can get elected in WV.

Paula Jean Swearengin ran as a progressive against Shelly Capito in 2020 and was pasted by 40 pts. That's the Dem reality in WV and nicer election laws won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    It's not interesting to me at all. It's brutal horrible reality.

And if I were betting with a large amount of cash on who would win in 2022, I would go full in on republicans taking the Senate and the House.

I am quite pessimistic about the future of the US. I deal with this by limiting the amount of time and energy I put towards politics / current events. Too depressing.
    Yeah...same here. Its going to be a mess politically for the next 10 years until the boomer crowd comes to the end of their natural lifespans to the point the rest of the generations can push whatever is left of them out. Its hard to get anywhere right now with politics because the political meta is based around who has the most "speech" (AKA Money) and guess who has most of it...boomers and corporations which will both use their "speech" to promote what we see going on.

So basically the next 10 years the United States will stall out (or degress if the current makeup of the judiciary is anything to show) until the above happens...which I think its going to be such a dramatic snap back socially its going to look like a paradigm shift

That being said think about it...add 10 more years of being stalled out politically on top of the 10-12 years we already had (if you think about it the USA legislative body hasn't really been functioning since 2010) and that's a long time on the world stage to basically go all NEET from a progression pov. China/EU/India sends its regards though!

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dems are lucky to have him despite his shitiness. He seems to be the only Dem who can get elected in WV.

Paula Jean Swearengin ran as a progressive against Shelly Capito in 2020 and was pasted by 40 pts. That's the Dem reality in WV and nicer election laws won't change that.
    For what it's worth nicer election laws would likely help democrats pull ahead in purple districts that slide republican thanks to their efforts at voter suppression. In essence, Manchin's seat could be made up elsewhere.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Its going to be a mess politically for the next 10 years until the boomer crowd comes to the end of their natural lifespans to the point the rest of the generations can push whatever is left of them out.
    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if people are greatly overestimating either the speed or extent (or both) to which this "old conservative assholes will finally die off to be replaced by younger more left-leaning people" idea will happen. What was the average age of the lunatics who assaulted the capitol? It wasn't just a bunch of retirees out there doing that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if people are greatly overestimating either the speed or extent (or both) to which this "old conservative assholes will finally die off to be replaced by younger more left-leaning people" idea will happen. What was the average age of the lunatics who assaulted the capitol? It wasn't just a bunch of retirees out there doing that shit.
    In that case we just won't fall further behind EU and China, we'll fall behind India and whoever is behind them.

The reason why I think change will happen was articulated by the Texas AG. Basically, he was bragging to his republican colleagues / warning them that if he didn't make a legal challenge making it hard to vote in blue areas, President Biden would have won Texas.

Today, in just about every red state, republican politicians have to explain to Trump supporters that would be receiving federal unemployment assistance exactly why it is so crucial that they not get this assistance. The current answer is: in order to stick it to the libs and hurt blacks, you have to take it on the chin.

Some will agree. But some will start to peel off. And republicans shouting louder and louder that "THEY WERE JUST LIKE TOURISTS VISITING THE CAPITAL" is not helping their cause.

They are definitely on their last legs. But they might cheat enough to stay in power for a long long time. So we are not out of the woods yet. The replacement is already happening. But converting that to counted votes is still very problematic.

This is a bad take considering what's at stake without HR1 passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Well I want full drama dude and just wrote my 2 Democrat Senators, basically stating I'm done voting my ass Democrat if you can't do crap to protect democracy.

Yes our legislation is complicated and stupid atm with minority rule. But if I don't threaten my 2 Senators, who can personally speak to Manchin, that is the only power I have.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the irony. If Manchin is a supposed Democrat at least be selfish asshole and realize the Republicans are trying to kill Democrat majority.

Of course back to him being a piece of shit, he likes this cause he has the power as him being a plus 1 or 2 majority.

- - - Updated - - -

Joe Leiberman killed the public option and it's been downhill since. The little ground regained lost by these two DINO's. This country would be so better off without the Senate.
    Great analogy and I wanted to post it. It's DejaVu all over again.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Oh, you mean when Trump was in charge and did nothing to help fix it? While Biden has?
    So what did Biden do?

So hr1... majority support among republicans in WV and democrats in WV and manchin says "i'm a no becuase partisan voting isn't good... fuck you minorities."

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So hr1... majority support among republicans in WV and democrats in WV and manchin says "i'm a no becuase partisan voting isn't good... fuck you minorities."
    There aren't enough bedbugs in the world for him and Sinema. I think Manchin is just really enjoying all the power and being the center of most legislative political attention.

Democrats need to remind him that they have other moderates who aren't such pieces of shit that they can run against him in a primary. Do they actually exist? I dunno, but they need to start leaning on him hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There aren't enough bedbugs in the world for him and Sinema. I think Manchin is just really enjoying all the power and being the center of most legislative political attention.

Democrats need to remind him that they have other moderates who aren't such pieces of shit that they can run against him in a primary. Do they actually exist? I dunno, but they need to start leaning on him hard.
    Welp good luck there... looking at how the Manchin administration has been going and how unhappy the democrats are... Democrats may lose seats if they capitulate to Manchin and therefore republicans... 2022... a fucked year?

Then.... we hear almost NOTHING from top democrats... so what does that say about democrats to the public?

- - - Updated - - -

This whole situation is as fucking stupid as saying "Look... I don't support this bill to not kill jews because my neo-nazi colleagues are against it, and unless this is bipartisan and we both agree I will do nothing and just allow the states to pass their own extermination laws."