also yes the fact that Hunter gets this battery of drug rehab visits while hid dad threw thousands of people in jail for far lesser crimes does deserve to be pointed out every time the subject comes up, not apologizing for that.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    to you, it's not real, TO YOU. pointing out how Hunter keeps getting jobs he's not qualified for based on his name and connections is not a faulty premise, it's just facts you are cannot reasonably justify without making it about someone else. hence: talking about the Trump kids.
    Unless Joe Biden is giving him those jobs (and he's not), it is absolutely a faulty premise.

to you, it's not real, TO YOU.
    No, in reality. You complain of nepotism that doesn't exist because apparently you don't understand the meaning of the word.

pointing out how Hunter keeps getting jobs he's not qualified for based on his name and connections is not a faulty premise
    Correct, that's a valid criticism of Hunter Biden, and has nothing to do with nepotism. As stated, the family members of wealthy, powerful, or influential families often get tons of shit for free or that they haven't earned, purely off their family name. That, again, is not nepotism.

hence: talking about the Trump kids.
    No, because that's the behavior you claimed was happening and complained about. I'm happy to not bring them up again if that is so bothersome to you.

You have yet to establish that any aspect of your complaints as they're related to Joe Biden actually exist. The worst charge you've levied at him so far, and there's merit to this as it's been discussed at length since the campaign, is his historical position on drugs and how he handled his own child's battles with substance abuse. A topic which, thankfully, he seems to have "evolved" on, alongside many other topics where he had absolute dogshit positions historically.

- - - Updated - - -

also yes the fact that Hunter gets this battery of drug rehab visits while hid dad threw thousands of people in jail for far lesser crimes does deserve to be pointed out every time the subject comes up, not apologizing for that.
    Joe Biden was a judge/prosecutor? Or policies his father supported, and championed, had that negative impact. No less hypocritical for 'ol Joe, but again you're grossly blowing everything out of proportion and seemingly not understanding how government works.

10+ Year Old Account
    to you, it's not real, TO YOU. pointing out how Hunter keeps getting jobs he's not qualified for based on his name and connections is not a faulty premise, it's just facts you are cannot reasonably justify without making it about someone else. hence: talking about the Trump kids.
    Most of those jobs he was qualified for. Maybe it was odd that he was originally hired by MBNA, but his rise to a VP there was under his own merit. That job qualified him for his work as a consultant with the US Dept of Commerce, and that led to him becoming a lobbyist, and then being appointed to Amtrak's board by George W. Bush. From there, he helped start a hedge fund, an investment firm, and a venture capital firm, and got a job with a law firm. That all led into his work in China and eventually Ukraine.

Every step qualified him for the next change in career. I don't know where the hell you're getting this "not qualified" nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not an issue with Hunter Biden, that's an issue with Joe Biden, and Joe's record on crime is . . . really fucking awful. His support of the crime bill in the '90s was heinous and led to a lot of the modern problems with police abusive conduct.

okay Edge, put those partisan blinders on because it's apparently too difficult to reconcile with the fact Hunter has no business being in politics, and it's obvious his name gets him access to things he otherwise clearly cannot be trusted with.
    He's not in politics. This is you just hating establishment dems because they're establishment dems and don't cater to your every whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Is there a factual problem with the story? He's working through his illness, which is modelling pretty toxic workplace expectations. Giving Biden a pass on things (even if this is pretty generically "a problem with American culture in general" rather than a personal failure) just because he's on "your side" is exactly the dishonest kind of gatekeeping Republicans do all the time, which we slam them for.

Presuming we're talking about actual shit, not the "man with a known stutter trips over a word and immediately corrects himself" bullshit.
    Is being POTUS a regular job? Or one where you're supposed to be on call 24/7/365 even if you're sick? If you're modeling your work behavior on what's expected of the president, you're not being a rational actor. If your angle on this story is "biden sets a bad example" you're purposely setting a narrative that's negative for no reason.

Hiding behind "Is there a factual problem with the story?" BS, when the poster you quoted was clearly talking about the framing of the story is bad faith posting.

You're kneejerking.

The argument is predicated on putting your work ahead of your health, which is a toxic demand/expectation. It's a product of capitalist systems which fundamentally do not value workers other than for their productive capacity.
    Na, it's the product of the expectations of a singularly demanding job and trying to equate being POTUS with literally any other job on the planet. It's bad framing, and the editor should have never published the piece.

I mean, generally, yeah, it's mostly using Biden as an excuse to talk about the broader issue, if it's spending too much of its time trying to blame Biden for his choices rather than just using it as a specific example of a broader trend they want to discuss, that's pushing things too far and laying way too much on Biden himself.
    It's about 1/2 criticism of biden, 1/2 covid related. The sum total about 'toxic work culture is this:

But the president sent a different message to Americans here at home, and it’s one that has a dark underside. Instead of taking time off during the course of his disease, he modeled the toxic work culture of “pushing through illness.” While that ethos may be as American as apple pie, it’s also dangerous ... especially in the context of Covid.
    One 3 sentence graph in a 15 graph story. No mention of sticking to isolation measures. Even takes the fact that it's a job that's singularly important and thus gets exceptional medical care, in the literal sense, which sets him apart from nearly every one else in the world and portrays it as a betrayal of the american people. That's the conclusion they came to with that 'toxic work culture' bit after spending 4 graphs of lead up to be able to portray it that way.

My greater issue was the implication that stories like this are "bad" because they make Biden look "bad" and we shouldn't ever push a story that might frame Biden's choices as anything less than perfect in every way, the "The PRess wonders outloud "why is Biden tanking?, when we frame everything he does negatively."" comment more than the article itself.
    Well this is bad faith framing right here. It's not pushing a story about biden's choices being less than perfect. It's actively criticizing him for fulfilling the bare requisite duties of the POTUS. It was literally a teleconference, because of isolation, with his NatSec council covering the daily brief. Crazy to see you take this stance when I swear I've heard you say before that the news shouldn't be pushing some false middle between crazy nonsense and reality.

notice how I didn't invoke the Trumps, at all. but of course the "what about~" arguments get pulled out anyway.... yeah NO SHIT the Trump's are several magnitudes worse. IDK how that's supposed to wipe away how Hunter gets all of these drug rehab visits while his dad championed legislation that ballooned the prison population and put entire generations of black and brown people in jail for selling weed.
    So no acceptance that you're full of shit about the nepotism claims. Go figure.

That's not nepotism. Nepotism is getting your family/friends jobs in your business. In this context that would mean a job at the white house or with biden's campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

https://www.businessinsider.com/manc...alytics-2022-8

Well, Moody's seems to like the Inflation Reduction Act and feel it will actually accomplish the goal it's named after.

If passed, the plan "will nudge the economy and inflation in the right direction," economists led by Mark Zandi said in a Monday research note. The $790 billion package will be fully paid for by higher taxes on corporations and wealthy households, enhanced IRS enforcement, and lower Medicare drug costs. That cash will go toward lowering ACA health care premiums, funding clean energy projects, and reducing the government's deficit.
    And the spending is offset with...revenue increases on the wealthy and corporations. Because you don't bring in more revenue by cutting taxes, as Republicans continue to claim.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-bill-00049124

It seems John Stewart shaming Republicans for voting down the burn pit bill and lying about funding is working.

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell declined to respond to a question Monday about why the legislation was held up.

“It will pass this week,” he said.

Other Republicans in Senate leadership struck a similar tone. Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) told POLITICO he would “expect it to pass” and Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), McConnell’s No. 2, echoed that at “some point this is going to pass and it will pass big.”
    I mean this is unarguably good, but curious that it only took a little bit of shaming and calling out their lies for them to reverse course on something they were so adamant about for the past week or so.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...tment-00048365

More cautiously optimistic news: The Education Department has plans for student loan forgiveness.

NOTE: Nothing has been announced, nothing is happening yet.

But should Biden give the order, which he hopefully will, they've already got a plan to execute it.

I understand libs are desperate to downplay Hunter Biden's behavior.... but you really don't have to. I hope one day we all realize we can treat obviously corrupt and wildly incompetent nepotism cases like the obviously corrupt and incompetent cases of nepotism that they are.
    Might want to look up what actual nepotism is before you say that.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    That's not nepotism. Nepotism is getting your family/friends jobs in your business. In this context that would mean a job at the white house or with biden's campaign.
    Jared and Ivanka are fine examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post

i mean thats not what it means. You cant pretend hunter hasnt spend his whole career trading on his dads name, professionally and the navy touch.

good to see biden finally drone strike a podcaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i mean thats not what it means. You cant pretend hunter hasnt spend his whole career trading on his dads name, professionally and the navy touch.
    Using family connections is not "nepotism". That's the point. It's not possible for Hunter Biden to live a life where his father doesn't factor in, because his father is Joe Biden, an incredibly significant political figure at the federal level in the USA. Even if he tried to hide it, he'd constantly get asked in interviews "wait, Joe Biden has a son named Hunter, are you that Hunter Biden?" And at that point, his father's affecting the outcome of that job interview, just by existing.

Hell, the Ivanka stuff above isn't even really nepotism for the most part; it's family-business stuff and the positions she held were never up to some kind of public competition. Don't take that as a defense of Ivanka, she's useless and didn't earn shit, but describing all family businesses as "nepotism" is an abuse of the term.

If Joe himself was not personally taking action to get Hunter the job in question, it's not nepotism. People are just flagrantly misusing the word. Hunter can't not trade on his father's name; it's Hunter's name too.

i mean thats not what it means.
    Uh, what? That's exactly what it means.

forgot this website was full of pedants.

you honestly going to tell me its beyond your capacity to entertain that hunter and ivanka had a touch from daddy?

behave yourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    forgot this website was full of pedants.

you honestly going to tell me its beyond your capacity to entertain that hunter and ivanka had a touch from daddy?

behave yourselves.
    Ivanka, sure, but like I said, that was mostly family-business stuff.

Hunter Biden? You're gonna have to show me evidence. Because right now, there isn't an argument beyond "Joe Biden's his dad and I want to make wild assumptions based on nothing to make Biden look bad".

Ivanka, sure, but like I said, that was mostly family-business stuff.

Hunter Biden? You're gonna have to show me evidence. Because right now, there isn't an argument beyond "Joe Biden's his dad and I want to make wild assumptions based on nothing to make Biden look bad".
    honesty i dont care about it that much but you can't look at hunters career and not think daddy put a word in somewhere. This is what upper class people do, pretty fucking standard stuff. Look at any politicians kids and most have had a solid hand somewhere. Obvious ones like Obama, Mccain, JFK, Trump and even that new weird NY mayor throwing his brother a bone.

Your a robot if you dont think patronage and sleaze goes on. And i mean that beyond structural advantages of their class position as well.

Even look at tucker trying to get hunter to give his kid a touch to get into uni. Its goes on man.

10+ Year Old Account
    honesty i dont care about it that much but you can't look at hunters career and not think daddy put a word in somewhere. This is what upper class people do, pretty fucking standard stuff. Look at any politicians kids and most have had a solid hand somewhere. Obvious ones like Obama, Mccain, JFK, Trump and even that new weird NY mayor throwing his brother a bone.

Your a robot if you dont think patronage and sleaze goes on. And i mean that beyond structural advantages of their class position as well.

Even look at tucker trying to get hunter to give his kid a touch to get into uni. Its goes on man.
    You're conflating networking with nepotism pretty blatantly here, dude. That's the point.

No one's arguing that Hunter hasn't been privileged. But nepotism involves unethical conduct, and there's no indication of any such thing from Joe Biden on this.

Yes, but that's not nepotism.

If you have an issue with the concept of more privileged people, that's fine. Throwing around words that don't apply just because they sound really bad doesn't make your point for you.

"I don't care about it that much"

Comes back to MMO Champions to specifically talk about Hunter Biden.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

@jonnysensible

Example of privileged : Being offered a job the moment they hear your fathers name. But they still chose to do that on their own.

Example of Nepotism : Your father calling them and asking them to hire you.

Nepotism requires the father to actually personally pull strings to get them the job, the other is all on the part of the employer and is pretty much the kid trading on his fathers name.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    "I don't care about it that much"

Comes back to MMO Champions to specifically talk about Hunter Biden.
    i came to make the al-Zawahiri joke

Jon Stewart tries to talk some sense into a Newsmax host and Newsmax viewers

Vid embedded of interview.

Not trying to be some ultra Jon Stewart fan here but the dude went on one of the crappiest, entertainment networks posing as news and destroyed this guy. The first thing the dude tries before Stewart speaks is use the Big Lie of Cruz saying there was some spending bill or language making it they could spend this money however and wherever the want.

I don't know if this works on a newsmax viewer, yet good to see.

- - - Updated - - -

Schumer: “We expect to have an agreement on the PACT Act with amendments. Start voting at 5. And I believe it will pass and pass this evening.”

Overreaction time and me foaming at the mouth. What Amendments? I swear on anything if Schumer let this bs amendment by Toomey, which does NOTHING, into the bill so the Republicans can take the victory. This doesn't look good to me adding any amendments, the bill was fine.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!