Why is Manchin there? He has been the roadblock for much of Biden's agenda...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    Why is Manchin there? He has been the roadblock for much of Biden's agenda...
    Because he was instrumental in passing the bill...? Biden passed him the pen because he was so upset at him, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Got a chance to hear Biden's address on the signing of the Inflation Reduction Act. Worth listening to in full.

"Today, too often we confuse noise with substance. Too often we confuse setbacks with defeat. Too often, we hand the biggest microphone to the critics and the cynics who delight in declaring failure, while those committed to making real progress do the hard work of governing."

It's not policy wonk address, it's an articulation of Biden's theory of political change and progressivism. A direct refutation of the cynicism that dominates the Discourse.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden forgives almost $4 billion in fraudulent student loans involving ITT.

ITT has been the target of multiple lawsuits, including one by its own teachers, since they closed in 2016. I think they've already settled one. DeVos, when publicly badgered about school loans from an admittedly fraudulent and also closed sham college, did actually close a few but was public with her reluctance. Biden's move is far more wide-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Man, I remember those ads being spammed to high hell on TV stations with car shows and stuff when I was younger. My dad would always tune in to watch shit like My Classic Car with Dennis Gage and his fantastic mustache and I'd swing by and almost every single ad-break had at least one ITT Tech ad playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, I remember those ads being spammed to high hell on TV stations with car shows and stuff when I was younger. My dad would always tune in to watch shit like My Classic Car with Dennis Gage and his fantastic mustache and I'd swing by and almost every single ad-break had at least one ITT Tech ad playing.
    I watch his channel on youtube lol

https://www.youtube.com/c/MyClassicCarTV

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    I watch his channel on youtube lol
    Oh shit, I didn't know he was still doing stuff! I'll have to share that with my dad, he'll be stoked.

I'm glad to see he's still rocking that fancy mustache (assuming these are newer videos and not just clips from his old show).

10+ Year Old Account
    They had nothing on the WyoTech ads. "Whay get a job, when you can start a coreeeer!"

Unfortunately they were bought by Corinthian Colleges in the early aughts. Hence they spammed a lot of ads on TNN/Spike.
    After the lawsuits/collapse of Corinthian, locals bought the original Laramie campus and restored it's original mission.

And yes yes ... Biden already forgave all $5.8 Billion of outstanding Corinthian Student loans back in June.

Alas Biden has done nothing for podcasters with idle Ivy League degrees.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Biden forgives almost $4 billion in fraudulent student loans involving ITT.

ITT has been the target of multiple lawsuits, including one by its own teachers, since they closed in 2016. I think they've already settled one. DeVos, when publicly badgered about school loans from an admittedly fraudulent and also closed sham college, did actually close a few but was public with her reluctance. Biden's move is far more wide-reaching.
    Black Lung Fund is permanently funded by taxing coal companies. Coal companies complained about having to contribute money to solve a problem that they created.

The gqp pushing the conspiracy that the irs will comes to your house armed is stupid and dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    The gqp pushing the conspiracy that the irs will comes to your house armed is stupid and dangerous
    They've been pushing this same anti-government shit since the 80's, when they were running the government.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...date-rcna43777

In some great news for Democrats, McConnell isn't bullish on his parties chances of gaining a Senate majority in the next election.

I think there’s probably a greater likelihood the House flips than the Senate. Senate races are just different — they're statewide, candidate quality has a lot to do with the outcome
    TLDR: Republican Senate candidates suck and while extremists are pretty good at winning in extremist districts in the House, they're not so good with statewide elections outside of their safe spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TLDR: Republican Senate candidates suck and while extremists are pretty good at winning in extremist districts in the House, they're not so good with statewide elections outside of their safe spaces.
    My take is that state wide elections aren’t able to be gerrymandered as much so their cheating might not be enough to overcome to will of the people at that level this time around.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    My take is that state wide elections aren’t able to be gerrymandered as much so their cheating might not be enough to overcome to will of the people at that level this time around.
    Can't gerrymander statewide elections at all. It applies exclusively to how districts are drawn and how representatives are chosen. It doesn't even really affect the presidential election, because electors are based on the total number of representatives, not who those representatives are or what parties they're from. A theoretical blue majority state that's so gerrymandered that every representative is red could still easily go blue in a presidential election because how the districts are drawn don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    This talking point has been repeating constantly since the early 90's as far as I remember. They always claimed that they will kick down your door and take you to jail at gunpoint.

https://progressive.org/latest/smart...-ervin-081722/

I am Kamala Harris. My pronouns are ‘she’ and ‘her.’ I am a woman sitting at the table wearing a blue suit.
    Who knew this simple phrase could trigger so many Republicans, lol. And they call liberals snowflakes.

I hope she keeps it up and keeps triggering Republicans. Maybe some of them will learn what a pronoun actually is, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Can't gerrymander statewide elections at all. It applies exclusively to how districts are drawn and how representatives are chosen. It doesn't even really affect the presidential election, because electors are based on the total number of representatives, not who those representatives are or what parties they're from. A theoretical blue majority state that's so gerrymandered that every representative is red could still easily go blue in a presidential election because how the districts are drawn don't matter.
    Kinda what I was getting at.

They can gerrymander the local stuff but they can only cheat so much at the federal level.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Kinda what I was getting at.

They can gerrymander the local stuff but they can only cheat so much at the federal level.
    That's where their voter suppression/misinformation efforts in minority/blue districts come into play. That would affect a state election.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

So posting here and not creating a new thread.

North Carolina Supreme Court: racially gerrymandered North Carolina General Assembly, as an unconstitutionally constituted legislature, did not have the power to propose amendments to the North Carolina Constitution.

In short the legislators who were elected by gerrymandering cannot make laws and rules to gerrymander. Oof this is a good law but I don't know if this is a reach by the court. Not going to debate the gerrymander issue and I guess I ask others not to debate gerrymandering.

Since I'm a pessimist, I see this may get shot down and no doubt would get crushed if it reached the Supreme Court.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    So posting here and not creating a new thread.

North Carolina Supreme Court: racially gerrymandered North Carolina General Assembly, as an unconstitutionally constituted legislature, did not have the power to propose amendments to the North Carolina Constitution.

In short the legislators who were elected by gerrymandering cannot make laws and rules to gerrymander. Oof this is a good law but I don't know if this is a reach by the court. Not going to debate the gerrymander issue and I guess I ask others not to debate gerrymandering.

Since I'm a pessimist, I see this may get shot down and no doubt would get crushed if it reached the Supreme Court.
    Supreme court cannot overrule State Supreme Court on this as this is purely a North Carolina issue,not a Federal issue,-

State supreme court’s interpretation of any state law is generally final and binding to both state and federal courts. Federal courts may overrule a state supreme court decision only when there is a federal question which springs up a federal jurisdiction. An appeal from any state supreme court decision concerning matters of federal jurisdiction shall directly lie to the supreme court of the U.S. State supreme courts exercise both mandatory and discretionary review of appeals from trial courts.

The Supreme Court routinely picks up redistricting and apportionment cases, for reasons including the 14th amendment, and its impact on federal elections.

Fifty five percent of North Carolinians voted in favor of the voter ID law, and fifty seven percent voted in favor of the Tax Cap Amendments. The legislature followed the constitutional process for putting amendments before the voters. This is easily taken up by the Supreme Court on grounds of violation of the equal protection of the laws. Lucas v. Forty-Fourth Gen. Assembly of Stateof Colo involved "systematic frustration of the will of amajority of the electorate of the State." How could denying the votes of a majority of NC citizens in a constitutional process not be a federal issue at the heart of the 14th amendment? This goes to the Supreme Court easily, in a suit claiming the people of NC were denied their equal protection under the law as guaranteed them by the federal constitution.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."