Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Question for MMO's FIRST favorite lawyer. If it somehow does pass, and found "not guilty" in the Senate, does Double Jeopardy apply?
    Since impeachment is political in nature, I don't think that applies.

10+ Year Old Account
    A friend of my posted on FB about Biden vs Trump in their handling of Puerto Rico.

I checked to see what Biden has done so far, and I see that WH.gov says he has approved the usage of FEMA to provide aide. But that is it so far.

They mentioned how Trump also brought in FEMA, and was asking anyone who could answer, why there is a such a difference in the way this is viewed by the Media. That Trump was dragged through the coals for how he treated PR, and it seems that Biden is doing the same, but getting praised by the Media.

Can anyone here help me understand the difference?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    A friend of my posted on FB about Biden vs Trump in their handling of Puerto Rico.

I checked to see what Biden has done so far, and I see that WH.gov says he has approved the usage of FEMA to provide aide. But that is it so far.

They mentioned how Trump also brought in FEMA, and was asking anyone who could answer, why there is a such a difference in the way this is viewed by the Media. That Trump was dragged through the coals for how he treated PR, and it seems that Biden is doing the same, but getting praised by the Media.

Have you perhaps considered how long it took Trump to call on FEMA? And how much whining it involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

Essentially: He mentioned it once during the first 5 days after the hurricane, spent most of the time tweeting about football. Trump lied about how effective his efforts were, a lot like bush did during katrina (we're not far enough along to really be able to judge biden's efforts yet). Blamed locals instead of taking any responsibility. Offered dumb excuses for the ineffectiveness of his response (island surrounded by big water, hugely). Threw paper towels at a bunch of reporters during a press conference. At first said PR would have to split the costs of FEMA's response with FEMA. Took more than a week to suspend a provision that would only allow US flagged ships for intra-country shipping (something that happened immediately for other areas of the country hit by hurricanes). Essentially demonstrated that he didn't know that PR was part of the US, which meant that none of the efforts to help PR were even instigated by him (like asking who the president of PR was). Then the corruption that led to his DoInterior head resigning, with no investigation by his DoJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Have you perhaps considered how long it took Trump to call on FEMA? And how much whining it involved?
    Na, FEMA efforts started before the hurricane hit. Trump likely wasn't involved as he doesn't read his daily briefing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    That is why I am asking. There has been so much news flowing through my brain in the past few years, I legitimately forget what happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Oh man are we back on another exciting episode of 'Lmao see Biden is Old!' Copium/Shitposting?
    It's the only thing they have left, now that Trump is broke and going to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    So, MTG decided to finally do it and introduce Articles of Impeachment against President Biden. For selling oil from the Strategic Oil Reserve.

Link to the actual AoI.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...%5D%7D&r=1&s=3

Here is a news article about said thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...e9db3a8ee6cf76

I've stated this in another thread, every president for the past 40 years now has had AoIs against them for various reasons. Sometimes yearly.
    I'm here for it kinda. Now what's funny when Trump had what I would say legitimate 2 articles of impeachment, honestly the public turned sour, cause it was more or less they didn't want to rock the boat. Business as usual, sorta they thinking its political.

Hmm? This and moving forward with multiple articles if Republicans, who most will be the craziest mofo's like MTG you have ever seen, try this say every month. I wonder if the public will turn sour against the Republicans. My guess is not. The indoctrinated right will not of course. The ill informed Independent voters, will likely be swayed by media and what not that its a "no Big Thing".

In short we will have two different rules for the Democrats and the Fascists.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Question for MMO's FIRST favorite lawyer. If it somehow does pass, and found "not guilty" in the Senate, does Double Jeopardy apply?
    Impeachment isn't a criminal or civil trial. It is, basically, a vote of no confidence. The Senate part of it is determining if said person is fired then voted on if they can hold another office. It is like a civil trial but without a financial or criminal penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    So, MTG decided to finally do it and introduce Articles of Impeachment against President Biden. For selling oil from the Strategic Oil Reserve.

Link to the actual AoI.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...%5D%7D&r=1&s=3

Here is a news article about said thing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...e9db3a8ee6cf76

I've stated this in another thread, every president for the past 40 years now has had AoIs against them for various reasons. Sometimes yearly.
    She didn't do that when Trump did the same fucking thing, in 2018, and neither did any other Republican.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden announces $1.5B in funding to battle opioid overdoses, support recovery

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will disseminate the funding through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) State Opioid Response and Tribal Opioid Response grant programs as part of National Recovery Month.

The grants will include over $104 million allocated to rural areas to expand treatment and prevention, $20.5 million to increase access to recovery supports across the country and $12 million to bolster law enforcement in High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA).

The Rural Communities Opioid Response Program (RCORP), a multi-year initiative to prevent overdose deaths in rural parts of the country, will receive money to be delegated to public, private, and nonprofit entities working on the issue of substance abuse.

The $20.5 million in recovery supports will connect those in the drug court system with community resources to aid their behavioral health and the $12 million in law enforcement funding will foster public safety partnerships and prevention of gun crime related to drug trafficking.

Along with the new funding, the Biden administration published new guidance to facilitate greater access to FDA-approved naloxone products, which treat opioid overdoses in emergency situations, and guidance for employers to create “Recovery-Ready Workplaces.”
    I've been clear in the past, this was the one issue Trump promised action on that (a) was more than Clinton's and (b) I actually believed him. Time has told the tale on that one. Trump's tenure did include some significant lawsuit victories against opioid pushing pharmpanies and a few moves in the right direction, but for the most part, he's viewed as announcing opioid overdoses a national health emergency (it was and still is) and then handing the wheel to Kellyanne Conway and doing other stuff. Trump even started blaming COVID for overdose/suicide/both deaths but then did nothing while in a position to do so.

Now, Biden's announcement is the start of something, not the middle or end. We'll have to see how things turn out. But even just comparing his plan on paper to Trump's on paper, he's starting much stronger and I think with more funding to back it. Plus Biden believes in science, so, there's that.

Biden says natural disaster ‘bailouts’ for red states are unfair to Democrats.

Biden administration rejects Florida's disaster assistance request for hurricanes.

Biden is such an asshole. Putting politics above country and blaming or ignoring a state cause it votes "red" or has a Republican Governor. Oh I forgot to tell you if you click on the links above they are about Trump response to Coronavirus on blue states and second statement on California wildfires.

Here is the statement so far.

White House, DeSantis put politics aside amid Hurricane Ian response

Seems Biden has put aside politics and DeSantis sure now thinks that the Federal government should help out. In short I agree and I think most here agree that Florida will need natural disaster aid. If this was flipped, I think there might be some politics involved.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Biden says natural disaster ‘bailouts’ for red states are unfair to Democrats.

Biden administration rejects Florida's disaster assistance request for hurricanes.

Biden is such an asshole. Putting politics above country and blaming or ignoring a state cause it votes "red" or has a Republican Governor. Oh I forgot to tell you if you click on the links above they are about Trump response to Coronavirus on blue states and second statement on California wildfires.

Here is the statement so far.

White House, DeSantis put politics aside amid Hurricane Ian response

Seems Biden has put aside politics and DeSantis sure now thinks that the Federal government should help out. In short I agree and I think most here agree that Florida will need natural disaster aid. If this was flipped, I think there might be some politics involved.
    Kill them with kindness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Seems Biden has put aside politics and DeSantis sure now thinks that the Federal government should help out.
    "It's not a handout when I get the check."

To be fair, DeSantis isn't a hypocrite for asking for federal funding. That's why we have it, that's why we're a country. He's a hypocrite when he says other people shouldn't get it. Sadly he's a governor, so it won't be an issue until 2024 when someone, possibly Harris, throws it in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "It's not a handout when I get the check."

To be fair, DeSantis isn't a hypocrite for asking for federal funding. That's why we have it, that's why we're a country. He's a hypocrite when he says other people shouldn't get it. Sadly he's a governor, so it won't be an issue until 2024 when someone, possibly Harris, throws it in his face.
    Always thought it was weird watching people from Florida complain about welfare queens when they are one of, if not THE, biggest welfare queens in the Union and they have DeSantis to thank for that title.

They can complain and pretend they weren't but Florida took in over 64 billion every year in federal aid from other states more than it paid in when the economy was booming and before things got bad. That was over $3,200 per Floridian in welfare from other states to pay their bills so they didn't have to.

If you have a family of 4 in Florida, that is around $13,000 in welfare that those hard working liberals in California are paying so you lazy mooching conservatives in Florida can keep your nation running paying for your stuff because you aren't willing or able to.

Was weird watching one of them complain when they were already taking in over $12,000 a year in welfare directly when they were up here while lying and pretending they never used it.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Big lawsuit against Biden's student debt cancellation gets shot down in less than a week

The lawsuit was filed on Tuesday by Frank Garrison, an Indiana attorney who works for the Pacific Legal Foundation. Garrison said he did not want $20,000 worth of forgiven debt because he would have to pay more than $1,000 in Indiana state taxes.

The Department of Education's response?

"Upon receiving this lawsuit and reviewing Plaintiff’s filings, the Department has already taken steps to effectuate Plaintiff’s clearly stated desire to opt out of the program and not receive $20,000 in automatic cancellation of his federal student loan debt, and so notified Plaintiff’s counsel today," the Department of Education responded.

Ouch.

On Thursday, Judge Young agreed in an order denying a temporary restraining order, writing, "The court, in view of the fact the Department of Education exempted Plaintiff from receiving debt relief, finds Plaintiff cannot be irreparably harmed as is required for preliminary relief."

What an idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    What an idiot.
    I mean, I saw a couple on the Daily Show after "You get a car! You get a car! Everybody gets a car!" complaining that they'd have to pay taxes on the car. Of course, if I had to pay $1,000 to wipe out $20,000 of debt, I wouldn't complain, I'd look for multiple pens to sign whatever form they gave me. Especially if I'd been defrauded but stuck with the debt anyhow.

I guess it'll go down with the "everything works as normal unless otherwise noted" that means that, for example, the Central Park Five who were released and paid by the state for their wrongful confinement probably had to pay the IRS for the settlement they received for being railroaded into prison for years.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ian-relief-wo/

So how are Republicans responding to the Biden administration immediately providing all possible aid and assistance to Florida after a natural disaster "despite" Florida being a "red state"?

By making shit up to attack Kamala Harris. I'm not kidding, Rick Scott is just out there spinning lies and claiming Harris said people of color would be helped before white folks. Which is not in any way, shape, or form what she said and is pure fiction on the part of Scott, who seems absolutely determined to continue the Republican crusade about how white conservatives are truly the most oppressed demographic that's ever existed in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ian-relief-wo/

So how are Republicans responding to the Biden administration immediately providing all possible aid and assistance to Florida after a natural disaster "despite" Florida being a "red state"?

By making shit up to attack Kamala Harris. I'm not kidding, Rick Scott is just out there spinning lies and claiming Harris said people of color would be helped before white folks. Which is not in any way, shape, or form what she said and is pure fiction on the part of Scott, who seems absolutely determined to continue the Republican crusade about how white conservatives are truly the most oppressed demographic that's ever existed in history.
    Yep, I have seen a lot of people claiming that same bullshit talking point and so far none of them can point to her actually saying it.

10+ Year Old Account

Skip to 1:02

One could say she suggests it, but it isn't verbatim.

What was more directly said, was people in lower income situations are the most impacted by the disaster.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Has anyone heard anything more about the GOP trying to cancel/stop any student loan forgiveness if the loan is currently held by a third party servicer? I ask because my loan, which was held by the Feds for years, just recently got moved to a third party servicer. Something I'm sure has happened to a LOT of people recently.